ADVERTISEMENT

Beaches dont agree...

I would assume closing the beach it is less about the beach itself as that seems pretty safe and more about everything else around the beach (crowding into grocery stores, etc) and people coming from elsewhere that have large infection rates to go to the beach.

If I light my house on fire, that’s my business. I don’t care that it just happens to be 10 feet from yours.

Talk about apples to oranges comparison. Your example would be the equivalent of that same person breaking into your house and spitting on your toothbrush. That same person not getting anywhere near you has nothing to do with your life.

yep. and if you are worried about getting hit by a drunk driver, DON'T DRIVE! If I want to down a case of tall cold ones and drive, that is my right.

If I want to light up my ciggie in a restaurant, don't complain to me about your kids sucking down my smoke. It's my right to do it.

Again, your comparison is absolutely bat s*** crazy. If someone wants to light up a cigarette 20 miles away from me while im in my own home then so be it. The cigarette in a restaurant comparison is such garbage and you know it.

Cigarette in a restaurant in terms of what you are referencing would be the equivalent of someone forcing their way into your home and lighting up. That is the example you are looking for. Its not exactly a sane or common sense example to justify your opinion...but whatever.

And I am definitely not a smoker, I agree with new smoking laws 100 percent. But your examples are just crazy dude.

At least we'll be able to beach our boat at desolate sand bars and deserted barrier islands.

I would assume closing the beach it is less about the beach itself as that seems pretty safe and more about everything else around the beach (crowding into grocery stores, etc) and people coming from elsewhere that have large infection rates to go to the beach.
This is it. I was in the Publix by Sullivan’s Island on Saturday, the day McMaster reopened boat ramps. People were pouring into the store not wearing any gloves or masks. Everybody looked sunburnt and drunk, basically the way everyone looks walking in there on a typical Saturday afternoon.

Reactions: Tigerfaith
This is it. I was in the Publix by Sullivan’s Island on Saturday, the day McMaster reopened boat ramps. People were pouring into the store not wearing any gloves or masks. Everybody looked sunburnt and drunk, basically the way everyone looks walking in there on a typical Saturday afternoon.

So basically you just described the entire upstate since March 18th. Social distancing is not going to work as a long term viable solution and I am not sure we ever really socially distanced where I am at OUTSIDE OF we don't get to go out to eat anymore/play sports/go see movies (basically all the fun stuff just take that out). They cannot keep public land closed when states and our federal government open them back up.

And if they close them down they are opening themselves up to a lawsuit if they pursue action against any person heading out to public land UNLESS it is an area where it has strictly defined closures (such as a gate where you can close down certain areas). So while they can say they are closing them, they cannot enforce anything and they know it. This is just a PR campaign to try and get people not to come.

So basically you just described the entire upstate since March 18th. Social distancing is not going to work as a long term viable solution and I am not sure we ever really socially distanced where I am at OUTSIDE OF we don't get to go out to eat anymore/play sports/go see movies (basically all the fun stuff just take that out). They cannot keep public land closed when states and our federal government open them back up.

And if they close them down they are opening themselves up to a lawsuit if they pursue action against any person heading out to public land UNLESS it is an area where it has strictly defined closures (such as a gate where you can close down certain areas). So while they can say they are closing them, they cannot enforce anything and they know it. This is just a PR campaign to try and get people not to come.
I live in Charleston and have seen that the police aren’t enforcing any of this stuff. The parks are supposedly closed but there a ton of people in them. The police are driving by constantly but not telling anyone to leave. So I think you’re right for the most part. Sullivan’s had a checkpoint where you couldn’t get on the island without proof of residence. I’m guessing the beach remained pretty much open to residents.

Again, your comparison is absolutely bat s*** crazy. If someone wants to light up a cigarette 20 miles away from me while im in my own home then so be it. The cigarette in a restaurant comparison is such garbage and you know it.

Cigarette in a restaurant in terms of what you are referencing would be the equivalent of someone forcing their way into your home and lighting up. That is the example you are looking for. Its not exactly a sane or common sense example to justify your opinion...but whatever.

And I am definitely not a smoker, I agree with new smoking laws 100 percent. But your examples are just crazy dude.

wrong. the reason that americans are not allowed to smoke in public or drive a car sh*t faced is because they might be endangering others. The reason americans are not currently allowed to congregate, choose not to wear asks (some places), etc is because they might be endangering others. how are the first two not an infringement on civil liberties but the third one is?

Talk about apples to oranges comparison. Your example would be the equivalent of that same person breaking into your house and spitting on your toothbrush. That same person not getting anywhere near you has nothing to do with your life.
Ok whatever. You have a different agenda. The point is that it’s not yourself that you are protecting through social distancing.

Reactions: Tiger78790812
Ok whatever. You have a different agenda. The point is that it’s not yourself that you are protecting through social distancing.

And the point is you have no idea if social distancing even works in this instance or the degree to which it works (and the fact that it was never meant for long term use), how bad this virus really was, and the extent of damage it has caused to the people you took freedom away from. You think of this as just a black-white type issue when every decision you make has collateral damage.

Who is going to protecting all of the families that will lose their homes if this continues any longer? Who is protecting them. You know the "collateral damage"

And the point is you have no idea if social distancing even works in this instance or the degree to which it works (and the fact that it was never meant for long term use), how bad this virus really was, and the extent of damage it has caused to the people you took freedom away from. You think of this as just a black-white type issue when every decision you make has collateral damage.

Who is going to protecting all of the families that will lose their homes if this continues any longer? Who is protecting them. You know the "collateral damage"

You realize you aren't changing anyone's mind right?

You seem upset that people have a different opinion than you. Instead of just name calling maybe try and to see that person's reasoning as to why they think the way they do.

Just my 2 cents

For so many, there seems no room for reasonable discussion. Wear a mask? “You can if you’re so scared. I won’t. Civil Liberty! Quarantine? “You can hide in your basement and bathe in Lysol and have everything delivered to you if you’re so scared. I won’t. Civil Liberty!”

I’m comfortable going out in a mask. I’m middle aged with no underlying health conditions that I know of, but my 73 year old mother with horrible asthma is not and for good reason. And despite your well thought out plan of having everything delivered to her front door step, you’ve forgotten the need for dental appointments, cataract surgeries, cancer screenings, heart check ups, possible flare ups of bronchitis. These have to be handled outside one’s house.

And how about the service workers, clerks, cashiers, and medical workers we all now consider essential. Can they stay home? Doesn’t someone need to sell you groceries and take your deposit and try to save you if you were to actually get Covid or have any other medical emergency? It seems some people will need to be out of the home against their will, despite how bad things may get. Why? Because society demands it (and needs it). They don’t get a say.

But I’m with you. The economy cannot shutdown forever. I also agree that there has to be a safe way to slowly start opening things now. I just don’t agree that this is all about me and “screw everyone else”. 40,000+ Americans have died in a little over a month despite the most drastic measures any of us have ever seen. I think it’s reasonable for us to all want to get back out there after so much confinement and forced economic pain, but can we give two shits about those around us in doing so? Please.

Be safe, all.

Well said @Orange Beard !

It seems like people are debunking that pic in this thread, but even if it was real, that would be their prerogative. There’s something called civil liberties, that apparently half this country has forgotten about.

As people have said in numerous threads. If you’re so terrified about COVID-19, now, more so than ever before, we have the technology and the infrastructure to allow you to completely isolate yourself. No one is saying you or anyone you love needs to leave the house. Get everything you want delivered. Bathe in Lysol, just don’t tell me what I have to do based on perceived fears.

We all accept and take on a multitude of risks every day. That’s life, and it’s time we got back to it.

I assume you think people who smoke ought to be able to smoke anywhere and anytime. Folks who do not want to be exposed to smoky environments can just stay home, right?

Reactions: MKOTiger
I assume you think people who smoke ought to be able to smoke anywhere and anytime. Folks who do not want to be exposed to smoky environments can just stay home, right?
I think businesses should have the right to determine if their place of business is Smoke Free. If you don’t like it don’t go and eventually the business owner can determine if the loss of business is worth the change. I personally like a smoke free restaurant but the owner should make that call

I live in Charleston and have seen that the police aren’t enforcing any of this stuff. The parks are supposedly closed but there a ton of people in them. The police are driving by constantly but not telling anyone to leave. So I think you’re right for the most part. Sullivan’s had a checkpoint where you couldn’t get on the island without proof of residence. I’m guessing the beach remained pretty much open to residents.
If they aren’t letting non-residents onto the island, they shouldn’t let island residents off the Island.

North Myrtle voted unanimously to open tomorrow

Myrtle will remain closed until they can call a meeting to discuss in more detail.

Surfside will make an announcement tomorrow.

Georgetown has not made a decision on Pawleys/Litchfield

Its sounding more and more like many summer vacations are going to be ruined or canceled.

For so many, there seems no room for reasonable discussion. Wear a mask? “You can if you’re so scared. I won’t. Civil Liberty! Quarantine? “You can hide in your basement and bathe in Lysol and have everything delivered to you if you’re so scared. I won’t. Civil Liberty!”

I’m comfortable going out in a mask. I’m middle aged with no underlying health conditions that I know of, but my 73 year old mother with horrible asthma is not and for good reason. And despite your well thought out plan of having everything delivered to her front door step, you’ve forgotten the need for dental appointments, cataract surgeries, cancer screenings, heart check ups, possible flare ups of bronchitis. These have to be handled outside one’s house.

And how about the service workers, clerks, cashiers, and medical workers we all now consider essential. Can they stay home? Doesn’t someone need to sell you groceries and take your deposit and try to save you if you were to actually get Covid or have any other medical emergency? It seems some people will need to be out of the home against their will, despite how bad things may get. Why? Because society demands it (and needs it). They don’t get a say.

But I’m with you. The economy cannot shutdown forever. I also agree that there has to be a safe way to slowly start opening things now. I just don’t agree that this is all about me and “screw everyone else”. 40,000+ Americans have died in a little over a month despite the most drastic measures any of us have ever seen. I think it’s reasonable for us to all want to get back out there after so much confinement and forced economic pain, but can we give two shits about those around us in doing so? Please.

Be safe, all.

source.gif

Beaches here in NY aren't closed. Infection rates are crazy, but people need a place to go out and move around. I don't have any issue with it.

N---

Reactions: GOPtiger
I’m waiting to see the policies put in place from Cherry Grove to Pawleys and Fripp to Hilton Head. I assume, but don’t know for sure, that this area represents the destination of at least a one magnitude greater number of SC beach goers than the aforementioned cluster centering on Charleston.

North Myrtle voted unanimously to open tomorrow

Myrtle will remain closed until they can call a meeting to discuss in more detail.

Surfside will make an announcement tomorrow.

Georgetown has not made a decision on Pawleys/Litchfield

Its sounding more and more like many summer vacations are going to be ruined or canceled.
I think the beaches will be opened. The problem will be if people still have enough money to pay for vacation. If not, the condo/rental house owners, restaurant/bar owners and shop owners they are trying to protect will suffer.

I think the beaches will be opened. The problem will be if people still have enough money to pay for vacation. If not, the condo/rental house owners, restaurant/bar owners and shop owners they are trying to protect will suffer.

I think they will definitely be open by June, but social distancing may still be enforced. Which would mean more than 3 people can't sit or congregate with each other.

Restaurants will probably also be open, but they may be forced to operate at only 50% capacity.

All of this is a waste anyways. This whole thing has been overblown

We went from 2.2 million deaths down to 60,000 and social distancing isnt even proving to have any effect.

I assume you think smoking bans happened overnight within a month of noticing potential impacts from smoking, right?It's not like it took decades to analyze, review, and research the issue before making a decision.

O wait, it did.

Reactions: Dave the Sig
Do you think someone will sue if they aren’t open for Black Biker week? This ChinaFlu is rassist and effects Black and Brown people more than White and other colors, according to the Scientists.

Would not surprise me, since they have sued before.

I never go down that way in May because of the bikers. This will be the first May I will go down in probably 20 years.

Reactions: TooterTownTiger
Would not surprise me, since they have sued before.

I never go down that way in May because of the bikers. This will be the first May I will go down in probably 20 years.

It's actually a great time to come to the south end for golf. Weather is nice and no one is playing because most golfers stay away.

Reactions: Ron Munson
It seems like people are debunking that pic in this thread, but even if it was real, that would be their prerogative. There’s something called civil liberties, that apparently half this country has forgotten about.

As people have said in numerous threads. If you’re so terrified about COVID-19, now, more so than ever before, we have the technology and the infrastructure to allow you to completely isolate yourself. No one is saying you or anyone you love needs to leave the house. Get everything you want delivered. Bathe in Lysol, just don’t tell me what I have to do based on perceived fears.

We all accept and take on a multitude of risks every day. That’s life, and it’s time we got back to it.
This guy for mayor!

wrong. the reason that americans are not allowed to smoke in public or drive a car sh*t faced is because they might be endangering others. The reason americans are not currently allowed to congregate, choose not to wear asks (some places), etc is because they might be endangering others. how are the first two not an infringement on civil liberties but the third one is?

No one is holding a gun to your head and making you go to the beach to be around others. I’m sure most people who go have assessed their personal risk or just don’t give a shit anyway.

I understand some are concerned about being exposed to the virus by those who are considered essential, or in this case, those who choose to go to the beach. Order from amazon. Do a Publix grocery delivery. If you want to get out and get your groceries wear a mask and gloves if you feel like it. There are options out there for those that want to be on the safe side. Practice good hygiene and stay away from people if you’re concerned. I’ll continue going to work and count my blessings I’m considered essential. I may even venture to the beach this weekend and drink a corona as I stay 6 ft away from everyone.

Reactions: Ron Munson
No one is holding a gun to your head and making you go to the beach to be around others. I’m sure most people who go have assessed their personal risk or just don’t give a shit anyway.

I understand some are concerned about being exposed to the virus by those who are considered essential, or in this case, those who choose to go to the beach. Order from amazon. Do a Publix grocery delivery. If you want to get out and get your groceries wear a mask and gloves if you feel like it. There are options out there for those that want to be on the safe side. Practice good hygiene and stay away from people if you’re concerned. I’ll continue going to work and count my blessings I’m considered essential. I may even venture to the beach this weekend and drink a corona as I stay 6 ft away from everyone.

My response to the other poster was in regards to infringement of civil liberties.

the fallacy of this comparison is the fact that one is a choice and one isn’t.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT