ADVERTISEMENT

Beaches dont agree...

wearing a mask isn’t a choice?

Wearing a mask is a choice

Quoted the wrong post, meant to quote this one:

yep. and if you are worried about getting hit by a drunk driver, DON'T DRIVE! If I want to down a case of tall cold ones and drive, that is my right.

If I want to light up my ciggie in a restaurant, don't complain to me about your kids sucking down my smoke. It's my right to do it.

9-B68-F1-B6-4414-4894-8-DB6-83-F8-B065-E214.png
The real question: will they be forced to wear a mask, but not a helmet?

Reactions: bron90
Georgetown county announced all public access will remain closed until May 15.

There is going to be a lot of pissed of people if this drags into Memorial Day weekend and into June.

Reactions: clemmer
The next time Edisto needs $10,000,000 worth of sand pumped in to reverse erosion, the town can come up with the funds. Damn the state taxpayers funding it and then defiantly ignoring directives from Columbia. You want to call your own shots? Fine, but you can do it without any state funding.

The next time Edisto needs $10,000,000 worth of sand pumped in to reverse erosion, the town can come up with the funds. Damn the state taxpayers funding it and then defiantly ignoring directives from Columbia. You want to call your own shots? Fine, but you can do it without any state funding.

Agree 100%.

this is infuriating. Why shouldn’t Mt. pleasant block residents of IOP and Sullivan’s from coming into mt p? The risk is the same to either side

So you think there is the same risk for a couple hundred islanders who may go to Mt pleasant each day for takeout food or healthcare as there is 10,000+ people coming to the islands and jamming cars everywhere and passing each other on narrow beach accesses?

Last edited:

So, using this logic, the state of SC should roll over and do anything and everything the federal government asks us to do without question as we receive many more tax dollars than we pay. Correct?

So, using this logic, the state of SC should roll over and do anything and everything the federal government asks us to do without question as we receive many more tax dollars than we pay. Correct?

Well that's extrapolating my argument to the nth degree, but in many ways that's already the case. Federal funding for schools is, in part, contingent on certain requirements. And that's not to say I agree with the premise of contingent funding as a means to exert authority. But I suppose for me to be intellectually consistent I have to agree that your statement is in the same vein as mine. I'm as much of a smaller government guy that you'll ever meet, but in my view a municipality cannot receive millions of dollars from the state to pump sand onto a public beach and then say "NO!" when the state says the beach is open.

Well that's extrapolating my argument to the nth degree, but in many ways that's already the case. Federal funding for schools is, in part, contingent on certain requirements. And that's not to say I agree with the premise of contingent funding as a means to exert authority. But I suppose for me to be intellectually consistent I have to agree that your statement is in the same vein as mine. I'm as much of a smaller government guy that you'll ever meet, but in my view a municipality cannot receive millions of dollars from the state to pump sand onto a public beach and then say "NO!" when the state says the beach is open.

A appreciate the intelligent and consistent response. I am not on either extreme as I can see how larger government can 'incentivize and/or coerce" a smaller government, but do not believe that a smaller government should roll over every time asked. I guess I recognize influence of money, but still believe the best decisions are those made closest to home, prefering city over county, county over state, state over national, and national over international.....

As for money spent on the beach, the state and federal government have already determined that it is THEIR best interest to do the project. Both are likely receiving more tax revenue and or achieving some other state or federal goal. It's likely not just a personal service to the beachfront property owners, but I guess in a few cases it could just be a political payoff by a corrupt politician.

Last edited:
So you think there is the same risk for a couple hundred islanders who may go to Mt pleasant each day for takeout food or healthcare as there is 10,000+ people coming to the islands and jamming cars everywhere and passing each other on narrow beach accesses?

then keep the beach closed to everyone. Pretty ****ing basic

then keep the beach closed to everyone. Pretty ****ing basic

People on the islands pay higher costs and taxes to live there and the limited amount of residents can easily spread out while walking on the beach. Your not allowed to sit down and the police are patrolling non-stop. Add 10,000 people to that and then it’s an issue.

PS your allowed to go before 7am and 7pm if you want to take a short walk like most of the island residents are doing.

Just for the record what he said was he was putting the decision into the local government's hand.. He didn't say open all the beaches. He said hey I am now authorizing local governments to make that decision.

It was the same thing Trump did.

Reactions: ChiefTiger
Just for the record what he said was he was putting the decision into the local government's hand.. He didn't say open all the beaches. He said hey I am now authorizing local governments to make that decision.

It was the same thing Trump did.

True to a point. The difference is that the governor actually had the power to open, close or let the local government decide. The president doesn’t have that power- it’s like him granting you invisibility- him saying it doesn’t make it so.

Bet the Indians wish they had known this one simple trick to keep the colonists from landing on the shores of America...

BeachClosed1.jpg
I thought the science has stated heat, humidity, and UV rays kill the virus. Weird the politicians are worried about beaches with no science to back up their claims.

Thankfully GA is open for business this weekend. Have a house booked for this weekend at coronavirus discounted rates. I have zero fear of getting the coronavirus while I cook on the beach.

It seems like people are debunking that pic in this thread, but even if it was real, that would be their prerogative. There’s something called civil liberties, that apparently half this country has forgotten about.

As people have said in numerous threads. If you’re so terrified about COVID-19, now, more so than ever before, we have the technology and the infrastructure to allow you to completely isolate yourself. No one is saying you or anyone you love needs to leave the house. Get everything you want delivered. Bathe in Lysol, just don’t tell me what I have to do based on perceived fears.

We all accept and take on a multitude of risks every day. That’s life, and it’s time we got back to it.

Unfortunately, your civil liberties don't include making that decision. Lol. There is also the idea that folks like yourself, that feel their liberties are being infringed upon, are putting other responsible people at risk. It works both ways. Noone wants to be locked in their houses, but let's be patient.

People on the islands pay higher costs and taxes to live there and the limited amount of residents can easily spread out while walking on the beach. Your not allowed to sit down and the police are patrolling non-stop. Add 10,000 people to that and then it’s an issue.

PS your allowed to go before 7am and 7pm if you want to take a short walk like most of the island residents are doing.
I can attest to the patrolling. We live one street back from the ocean, and yesterday I watched/ heard helicopters constantly trolling up and down the beach. They were also flying much lower than normal. Pretty wierd.

Unfortunately, your civil liberties don't include making that decision. Lol. There is also the idea that folks like yourself, that feel their liberties are being infringed upon, are putting other responsible people at risk. It works both ways. Noone wants to be locked in their houses, but let's be patient.
But all relevant data coming out on the virus is that it’s not nearly as fatal as thought and spread is way larger than thought.

It’s the politicians that keep moving the goal post. Hospitals being overran with a 3% fatality virus was the original justification for shelter in place.

But all relevant data coming out on the virus is that it’s not nearly as fatal as thought and spread is way larger than thought.

It’s the politicians that keep moving the goal post. Hospitals being overran with a 3% fatality virus was the original justification for shelter in place.

insurance companies are killing it right now. No medical bills to pay

Reactions: JJansenTiger

Stop confusing these people with plain logic! Logic doesn’t apply, just blindly, unthinkingly trust and obey man. And let them make you prisoners in your own home while in the meantime this virus is killing 99.5% really old and or really sick younger people and basically no one else. Never mind that state prisons who’ve tested all their inmates are reporting in many cases over 96% of the inmates have zero symptoms! Remember logic and reason don’t apply because the government knows better than you and is never ever wrong, so ignore anything in the future that proves them wildly wrong.

It seems like people are debunking that pic in this thread, but even if it was real, that would be their prerogative. There’s something called civil liberties, that apparently half this country has forgotten about.

As people have said in numerous threads. If you’re so terrified about COVID-19, now, more so than ever before, we have the technology and the infrastructure to allow you to completely isolate yourself. No one is saying you or anyone you love needs to leave the house. Get everything you want delivered. Bathe in Lysol, just don’t tell me what I have to do based on perceived fears.

We all accept and take on a multitude of risks every day. That’s life, and it’s time we got back to it.
This x1,000,000

I didn’t realize that paying higher taxes bought you access. Again- close the beach to everyone. The taxes collected from those who live on the island don’t even come close to covering the costs of the beach renourishment. Last time I checked the entire state paid for that. For the record I hate the beach, but I pay taxes, have spent my entire life from birth in Charleston, I keep my boat on IOP, the entire policy is shit.

For so many, there seems no room for reasonable discussion. Wear a mask? “You can if you’re so scared. I won’t. Civil Liberty! Quarantine? “You can hide in your basement and bathe in Lysol and have everything delivered to you if you’re so scared. I won’t. Civil Liberty!”

I’m comfortable going out in a mask. I’m middle aged with no underlying health conditions that I know of, but my 73 year old mother with horrible asthma is not and for good reason. And despite your well thought out plan of having everything delivered to her front door step, you’ve forgotten the need for dental appointments, cataract surgeries, cancer screenings, heart check ups, possible flare ups of bronchitis. These have to be handled outside one’s house.

And how about the service workers, clerks, cashiers, and medical workers we all now consider essential. Can they stay home? Doesn’t someone need to sell you groceries and take your deposit and try to save you if you were to actually get Covid or have any other medical emergency? It seems some people will need to be out of the home against their will, despite how bad things may get. Why? Because society demands it (and needs it). They don’t get a say.

But I’m with you. The economy cannot shutdown forever. I also agree that there has to be a safe way to slowly start opening things now. I just don’t agree that this is all about me and “screw everyone else”. 40,000+ Americans have died in a little over a month despite the most drastic measures any of us have ever seen. I think it’s reasonable for us to all want to get back out there after so much confinement and forced economic pain, but can we give two shits about those around us in doing so? Please.

Be safe, all.
If people had more faith in God. They wouldn’t be so scared of a cold virus on steroids that looks to be not near as deadly as they said. Also, can we give two shits about the unborn in this country instead please? We kill over 3000 them a DAY that’s over 60,000 a month in this country!

Just have faith in your relationship with God! Or start a relationship with God! That will make you safe and your future path will be secure. Then, worrying about dying from a cold virus wouldn’t scare you as much.

Have faith!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1983Grad
Stop confusing these people with plain logic! Logic doesn’t apply, just blindly, unthinkingly trust and obey man. And let them make you prisoners in your own home while in the meantime this virus is killing 99.5% really old and or really sick younger people and basically no one else. Never mind that state prisons who’ve tested all their inmates are reporting in many cases over 96% of the inmates have zero symptoms! Remember logic and reason don’t apply because the government knows better than you and is never ever wrong, so ignore anything in the future that proves them wildly wrong.

It’s funny. Even google and the cdc still list fatality rate at 3%.... seems like elites pushing fake news to suppress the population.

If people had more faith in God. They wouldn’t be so scared of a cold virus on steroids that looks to be not near as deadly as they said. Also, can we give two shits about the unborn in this country instead please? We kill almost 40,000 of them a DAY in this country!

Just have faith in your relationship with God! Or start a relationship with God! That will make you safe and your future path will be secure. Then, worrying about dying from a cold virus wouldn’t scare you as much.

Have faith!

40,000 of them a DAY? Exaggerate much? It's a bad problem, but outright lying weakens the argument.

It’s funny. Even google and the cdc still list fatality rate at 3%.... seems like elites pushing fake news to suppress the population.
Lol at Google, might as well rename themselves The Evil Empire. And oh yah, the death toll, it is fake. If anyone comes into a hospital with any kind of ailment and dies, it’s labeled a Covid 19 death if they test positive- sometimes they don’t even test. If you don’t know this by now I have no help to offer. Also if you’re healthy and under 65 you have a better chance of dying in a car accident than this virus.

All Georgetown and Horry county beaches are either opened for public access, or will be at noon today.

For those that don't like it, feel free to stay inside and scream at the TV and wear your mask when you go out to add to your toilet paper hoard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT