ADVERTISEMENT

Biden taking care of his rich donors and their kids.

As the media just faints at his feet. Does congress have to pass a law on this or is grandpa a dictator?

Reactions: fatpiggy
Thank goodness the orange man is coming back. Before Covid we had a good economy, low prices, a secure border, and world peace. Now everything is the opposite. I don’t a president to be my daddy or best friend. I just want a guy that has America’s back. That ain’t the Democrats

Thank goodness the orange man is coming back. Before Covid we had a good economy, low prices, a secure border, and world peace. Now everything is the opposite. I don’t a president to be my daddy or best friend. I just want a guy that has America’s back. That ain’t the Democrats
hE's tHe oNlY oNe wHo cAn sAvE uS!

You agree with this attempt to buy votes?
I've stated my opposition to student loan forgiveness several times, except in extreme cases like some of the qualifiers outlined here. I'm definitely against number 4.

1. Borrowers with ‘runaway interest’

2. Borrowers eligible for forgiveness programs, who haven’t applied

3. Borrowers who entered repayment over 20 years ago

4. Borrowers who enrolled in ‘low-value’ colleges

5. Borrowers experiencing ‘hardship’

Reactions: yoshi121374
I don't think the government should be in the business of profiting off of student loans. It's an incredibly predatory field and saddling 18 year old kids up with staggering amounts of debt before they can legally smoke a cigarette or drink a beer has always rubbed me the wrong way, but idk. I think they should cancel the interest debt owed on federal loans, but still leave them with the principal - unless that has been paid off already.

I haven't listened to the OP or read up on what Biden proposed, so if i'm pissing into the wind here, oh well.

Reactions: yoshi121374
I don't think the government should be in the business of profiting off of student loans. It's an incredibly predatory field and saddling 18 year old kids up with staggering amounts of debt before they can legally smoke a cigarette or drink a beer has always rubbed me the wrong way, but idk. I think they should cancel the interest debt owed on federal loans, but still leave them with the principal - unless that has been paid off already.

I haven't listened to the OP or read up on what Biden proposed, so if i'm pissing into the wind here, oh well.
Agree with you here.

I've stated my opposition to student loan forgiveness several times, except in extreme cases like some of the qualifiers outlined here. I'm definitely against number 4.

1. Borrowers with ‘runaway interest’

2. Borrowers eligible for forgiveness programs, who haven’t applied

3. Borrowers who entered repayment over 20 years ago

4. Borrowers who enrolled in ‘low-value’ colleges

5. Borrowers experiencing ‘hardship’

Biden’s timing (and overall stance) is simply pathetic here. Buying votes.

Agree with you here.

The problem is runaway college tuition costs inflated by over generous salaries and money to colleges and their endowment funds along with slurping money from the Federal trough

I am totally in favor of stopping the higher education inflation by punishing colleges for the crap job they are doing of preparing students for work at a decent salary all the time while saddling the student with a huge debt bigger than some house mortages

Is “buying votes” by spending federal taxpayers dollars a deal breaker for you? Like, you would never vote for someone who did that?
I've never understood the complaint about "buying votes."

Everything politicians do is a way to get more votes. Cutting taxes for the wealthy/corporations? Well, that's buying support and votes from that voting bloc. Expanding defense spending? That's buying votes from people employed in the defense industry, and those who prioritize national defense. Expanding medicare access? That's buying votes from those without health insurance.

Reactions: dpic73

Everything politicians do is a way to get more votes. Cutting taxes for the wealthy/corporations? Well, that's buying support and votes from that voting bloc. Expanding defense spending? That's buying votes from people employed in the defense industry, and those who prioritize national defense. Expanding medicare access? That's buying votes from those without health insurance.
Got to keep up the welfare queen narrative

Reactions: WapPride
How did we get to this point?

In 2010 Obama eliminated the federal guaranteed loan program, which allowed private lenders to offer student loans at low interest rates. The Dept. of Education was now in charge of loans.

They made loans easier to get, not cheaper. Student debt skyrocketed and by 2015 almost 30% were in default. Almost all of it owed to the government, which guess what...had already started putting in provisions to help it "forgive" debt when the time was right. Maybe during a close election?

Students with debt are now just another welfare group that will overwhelming vote Democrat and this was all arranged over a decade ago.

There’s an easy fix to this. Underwrite student loans as you would a mortgage or any other loan - based on likelihood of repayment. Factors would include institution quality, applicant quality, major job prospects, etc. I would layer in some preferential underwriting for high societal value majors with lower income prospects (ex. Teachers) to maintain balance.

Anyone who supports student loan handouts without actually addressing the underlying problem is a total moron. This includes our current administration.

Big difference in that a bunch of idiots (Congress), make those decisions, while a even bigger idiot (Biden) is making a DICTATORS decision. A decision which was ruled against by the Supreme Court. One day, and it couldn't be soon enough, people will revolt and refuse to pay for crap like this and withhold their own hard earned tax dollars until these career politicians quit doing shvt like this.
This is why career politicians have to go. People like Biden, who have been there for 50 years started this whole mess, and now it is like everyday occurrences, that it is normal and people let it continue by voting for these scumbags.

This is such a small issue to get worked up over. And for the record I am against student loan repayment. But the funny thing is that the people up in arms over this are the ones who are not paying any taxes anyway.

This is such a small issue to get worked up over. And for the record I am against student loan repayment. But the funny thing is that the people up in arms over this are the ones who are not paying any taxes anyway.

I don't know if I'm up in arms about it, but I'm adamantly against it. And I pay a lot of taxes. Just submitted my additional 2023 payment this morning and it was a whopper...

Reactions: BlueRidgedf
I don't know if I'm up in arms about it, but I'm adamantly against it. And I pay a lot of taxes. Just submitted my additional 2023 payment this morning and it was a whopper...

I paid off $150k of student debt. Also extended my filing last weekend and pre-paid a large estimate . Most years I don’t care because I’m getting LT capital gains treatment on a portion of my income, which doesn’t seem fair.

For the record, I am against student loan repayment. These struggles should be a lesson to future generations to not take out loans for jobs that pay $75k. It should also be a lesson to schools that are building resorts to attract students instead of educating them.

But the reality is it’s a fairly small number relative to what I pay. The outrage is mainly coming from people who will never contribute a penny towards paying off those loans.

Truly a pathetic attempt to buy votes.

Sad
You’d rather vote for a guy who passed out checks to everyone he could a few months before an election. And he’s definitely not an egomaniac or he would have put his name on them.

Wait a minute. Seems like we’re being fvcked by both parties. Maybe they both suck?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT