****Bob Stoops, on the situation in Norman

Larry_Williams

Senior Writer - Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
Oct 28, 2008
Basement
From our Rivals friends at Sooner Scoop:

Emotions of last 48 hours?
It's hard to talk about, really. I'm just really torn apart. It hurts. It's tough. Our whole close-knit football family. It's just an unfortunate and terrible situation, but you have to try to move forward.

People are picking sides and it doesn't seem like there's a right side to be on?
Nah. I don't know. I've intentionally tried not to listen because ... you can't have a side. There is no good side. There's no right or wrong side. It's just an unfortunate situation. But whatever side someone is trying to be on, you need to take a considerable amount of time and understand all the parties involved and what they are dealing with and their side of it. You're not doing it justice if you don't put yourself on the other side's shoes and what they have to deal with. Cale, I love him to death. Of course. We've been together for all this time and all these blood, sweat and tears have been put into this program. No one's done more. He's been incredible. But we all know in every occupation that we all know in every occupation you might be in, one wrong moment or incident, you can have severe consequences. Every occupation out there.

Sadly, in a moment of whether it be poor judgment or awareness, he created an incident that has led to these consequences. That being said, that one moment doesn't define Cale as a person or his character and heart. We know Cale's character and heart have always been for his players and for OU. It's been nothing but the best. He should always be appreciated for his hard work here and should always be a part of the OU family. I believe that and I believe he will be, hopefully. I know everybody wants that.

You have to look at Coach Venables' position. I've been in this position. No. 1, those players, they're the only ones that were in that building and those players in the room, they know what the context was and how it was said and how many times it was said. Everyone else out there with an opinion doesn't know that. They know that in the building. And that matters.

Brent didn't create the situation. He's charged with leading the program forward. And I know what that's like, developing a team identity and a team culture of 140 players, coaches and support staff. That isn't easy. And if he feels that this incident doesn't align with that culture or diminishes from it and feels that this is the best path forward for the program, then we have to trust his judgment. That's the bottom line. He's the one who has to go see those players in that team and that program every single day. And no one else does.

I'll say this. He may be a first-year coach, but that guy has been around for over 25 years and with three Hall of Fame coaches between (Bill) Snyder, myself and Dabo Swinney. He knows what kind of program he wants and the culture he wants and you got to trust him with that. In the player's behalf, he sure as hell isn't the first player and I guarantee you - you know this Teddy, you've been in meetings - he won't be the last player not paying attention in a meeting room. It's our job as coaches and as professionals, in a positive way, help those players improve in that room.

The very best way for everybody - all these parties and everybody involved - to move forward and even the fan base to move forward, is to have a degree of understanding for everybody and all parties and let it go. Move forward because it isn't going to change. It is what it is. It's unfortunate. It's sad. It kills me. But again, there is no good position on this. You just have to move forward. And, again, how an understanding for all involved.

Social media isn’t gonna change anything?
(Laughs) Let me tell you. You know how close Brent and I are? You don’t know how long it takes me to get ahold of him because he doesn’t have his phone. He’s in meetings with his staff, his players, his team, his administration. It takes me, sometimes, 24 hours to reach Brent. I promise you, he isn’t searching for what anybody else thinks. He knows what he wants in this program. The culture he wants. It has affected him. He had to do what he had to do. Again, I love Cale to death. He’ll always be a member of this family and a close-knit part of this family for all that he’s done. It’s easy for people on the outside world to have their opinions when they haven’t sat in a team meeting room, haven’t been in this situation. Unless you’re understanding everybody’s position, you’re not doing it justice.

Tough position? It’s a tough f’n position to be in?
It’s the worst. It’s so hard to be in that leadership role. It’s heartbreaking. The staff – you have to look in their eyes. They’re all close with their partner and colleagues. It’s just hard. You owe it to the university and the program and the players that, even when there are hard decisions, and I had to make a lot of them. You have to do what you feel is the very best to positively impact your program. That’s what you have to do as a leader.

Coaching transition at this point?
It’s not easy. You may feel comfortable with L’Damian that’s there now and move with it. Or you may feel another guy – just because of the timing and even though he wants to come may not come. I don’t know. I don’t know what may happen. I’m not sure. I don’t think Brent’s gotten that far about what his timeline is going to be. I was out at practice today. I can tell you there was all sorts of intensity. Guys flying around both sides of the ball. We’ll see where it goes.

How difficult is it to move on? Keep focus?
I think you address it and I believe they’ve done that. Talk through it as a team thoroughly. Where are we at with it? What’s our best path forward? And then you do. Just like in life, things happen. You address them and deal with them. Then you have to move forward.

Interview wrap? (Bob interrupts)
None of us know exactly what happened and transpired. There is no good position. You have to trust your head coach. That doesn’t change all the respect and love we have for Cale and respect for all the hard work. Everybody should embrace him. That’s right. One moment, one sore moment, doesn’t change all of that. We all know the character and the man he is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News