ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson professor gets deported

thats the text of the EO.

so, EO says no more refugees for 90 days. this clause says, except for religious minorities in those 7 countries. seems pretty clear to me.
And where did the premise of the 7 countries come from?

The Terrorism Travel Act is another thing. I'll re-read that again but that should have put a notice on nationals from these 7 countries that traveling to these countries could possibly put you at risk for denial of re-entry. And that was passed in 2015?

Facinating stuff, will be interesting to see where this goes.

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
As I stated above, I don't care who created the 7 countries as it's wrong. I'm not an Obama apologist. However, we are keeping people who have valid travel documentation out of our country, I think it's a dangerous road to travel for the idea of security. They are not citizens and aren't granted all protections thereof but I believe that until proven otherwise, the people who have been vetted should be essentially treated as such. They pay taxes and are contributing members of society, so again while this quote is probably slightly out of context, but we'll go with it anyway:

So, if you think this stops at these 7 primarily Muslim countries, and won't go further, I guess you've bought your temporary Safety.
Well, funny not too many people were up in arms when those previous acts were passed.

I'm not the biggest Trump fan but once you see the big picture and it's not so black & white.

I think the Clemson grad will be fine. If Lindsey is so fired up then his office can help get back in, especially with the stay.

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
Read of 325,000 travelers from foreign countries only 109 were initially detained for questioning and most released. So if she has not been released then there has to be something they are trying to clear up with her visa, documentation, identification, or something
She wasn't detained. She was taken off the plane in Dubai. She probably would have been detained if she had made it to the US but she wasn't even allowed to make it that far. And she does have a current and up to date multiple entry visa.

this executive order does not make us more safe, there is literally no empirical data to support that claim.

nor does the wall. and now that we KNOW that american taxpayers will be paying for the wall, it literally makes no sense to continue supporting it.

I mean, other than the fact there are MILLIONS of people coming into the country illegally. And then these people are a HUGE drain on the system. Which we all pay in to. Things like health care, schools, etc etc.

In my mind the more money we spend to keep illegals out, the less we spend longterm on support. Ounce of prevention.......so to say

IMO this ban is doing its job if that is the case. Many of these immigrants leave, go train for ISIS and come back to the US and kill people. If we lose a few good people in the process I'm OK with that.

MANY? Really. Please substantiate that claim with some evidence... Sounds a lot like Trump's common bs "many people are saying..."

Chechen, which is part of Russia.
Now you're really splitting hairs. He was born in Kyrgyzstan and was raised there in his early life. Some of his family does consider themselves to be Chechen. Anyway, it would make for a fun exercise to tell a Chechen that they are Russian. That would turn out well. Most of them still remember the bloodshed that was the Russians' slaughter of Chechens when they fought for their independence (it happened a few times and not long ago at all).

Again, none of these matter as the poster's point was that none of these places are on the list of 7 countries. Given that last week's target of the left was Russia, I wanted to make sure that Tsarnaev wasn't getting lumped in with that. Because he isn't Russian.

Reactions: cp1275
Is this what you call "winning"?

From CBS News: (via Twitter)
"Just to be clear: Iraqi refugee held in cuffs for 17 hours at JFK before being allowed in was an interpreter for US troops during the war."

I hope those of you going to church tomorrow will hear sermons against this outrageous executive order. Thank God so many Americans are willing to stand up against the president.
The liberals have lost most of their power, because of their bullshit, at the state and federal level. About to lose the Supreme Court as well. The American voter has put the Democrat party in jail. Obama lost more Senate and House seats than any President ever. So the American people are not behind you. Get your shit together Lib's or you'll be out of power for a generation.
Two years ought to do it.

Thought this thread could use an intermission....
things-that-bounce-thursday-17-gifs-2.gif

I'm still trying to figure out who pulls the plug on threads like this. Is i @Cris_Ard or just some random mod that I don't know. Seems kind of random how they get plucked or allowed to just carry on.

I hope we will soon come to terms with our Indo-Iranian Indo-Aryan brothers. We have so many problems in common.

I literally FF'ed this thread to 'last post'.

I am not surprised that you and your tantalizing wit lands here.

Here's hoping that one day you and your significant others are surprised with some sort 'WHO GIVES A SHIT'.

With all due respect, of course....

Now you're really splitting hairs. He was born in Kyrgyzstan and was raised there in his early life. Some of his family does consider themselves to be Chechen. Anyway, it would make for a fun exercise to tell a Chechen that they are Russian. That would turn out well. Most of them still remember the bloodshed that was the Russians' slaughter of Chechens when they fought for their independence (it happened a few times and not long ago at all).

Again, none of these matter as the poster's point was that none of these places are on the list of 7 countries. Given that last week's target of the left was Russia, I wanted to make sure that Tsarnaev wasn't getting lumped in with that. Because he isn't Russian.
agreed

Reactions: ChiefTiger
also, to rebut the notion that "obama did this too" here are some clear facts:

mash here

1. Much narrower focus: The Obama administration conducted a review in 2011 of the vetting procedures applied to citizens of a single country (Iraq) and then only to refugees and applicants for Special Immigrant Visas (SIVs), created by Congress to help Iraqis (and later Afghans) who supported the United States in those conflicts. The Trump executive order, on the other hand, applies to seven countries with total population more than 130 million, and to virtually every category of immigrant other than diplomats, including tourists and business travelers.

2. Not a ban: Contrary to Trump’s Sunday statement and the repeated claims of his defenders, the Obama administration did not “ban visas for refugees from Iraq for six months.” For one thing, refugees don’t travel on visas. More importantly, while the flow of Iraqi refugees slowed significantly during the Obama administration’s review, refugees continued to be admitted to the United States during that time, and there was not a single month in which no Iraqis arrived here. In other words, while there were delays in processing, there was no outright ban.

3. Grounded in specific threat: The Obama administration’s 2011 review came in response to specific threat information, including the arrest in Kentucky of two Iraqi refugees, still the only terrorism-related arrests out of about 130,000 Iraqi refugees and SIV holders admitted to the United States. Thus far, the Trump administration has provided no evidence, nor even asserted, that any specific information or intelligence has led to its draconian order.

4. Orderly, organized process: The Obama administration’s review was conducted over roughly a dozen deputies and principals committee meetings, involving Cabinet and deputy Cabinet-level officials from all of the relevant departments and agencies — including the State, Homeland Security and Justice Departments — and the intelligence community. The Trump executive order was reportedly drafted by White House political officials and then presented to the implementing agencies a fait accompli. This is not just bad policymaking practice, it led directly to the confusion, bordering on chaos, that has attended implementation of the order by agencies that could only start asking questions (such as: “does this apply to green card holders?”) once the train had left the station.

5. Far stronger vetting today: Much has been made of Trump’s call for “extreme vetting” for citizens of certain countries. The entire purpose of the Obama administration’s 2011 review was to enhance the already stringent vetting to which refugees and SIV applicants were subjected. While many of the details are classified, those rigorous procedures, which lead to waiting times of 18-24 months for many Iraqi and Syrian refugees, remain in place today and are continually reviewed by interagency officials. The Trump administration is, therefore, taking on a problem that has already been (and is continually being) addressed.

*Bonus: Obama’s “seven countries” taken out of context: Trump’s claim that the seven countries listed in the executive order came from the Obama administration is conveniently left unexplained. A bit of background: soon after the December 2015 terror attack in San Bernadino, President Obama signed an amendment to the Visa Waiver Program, a law that allows citizens of 38 countries to travel to the United States without obtaining visas (and gives Americans reciprocal privileges in those countries). The amendment removed from the Visa Waiver Program dual nationals who were citizens of four countries (Iraq, Iran, Sudan, and Syria), or anyone who had recently traveled to those countries. The Obama administration added three more to the list (Libya, Somalia, and Yemen), bringing the total to seven. But this law did not bar anyone from coming to the United States. It only required a relatively small percentage of people to obtain a visa first. And to avoid punishing people who clearly had good reasons to travel to the relevant countries, the Obama administration used a waiver provided by Congress for certain travelers, including journalists, aid workers, and officials from international organizations like the United Nations.

Bottom line: No immigration vetting system is perfect, no matter how “extreme.” President Obama often said that his highest priority was keeping Americans safe. In keeping with America’s tradition and ideals, he also worked to establish a vetting system that worked more fairly and efficiently, particularly for refugees who are, by definition, in harm’s way. President Trump should defend his approach on the merits, if he can. He should not compare it to his predecessor’s.
Honestly it's pointless for any supporter of the EO to post unless they attempt to provide an educated, intelligent rebuttal to this post. I haven't seen any facts that support the efficacy of this "security" measure - only hyperbole and xenophobic comments.

I am a lifelong Republican, but Trump has already proven to be an unparalleled disaster in his first few weeks in office.

Honestly it's pointless for any supporter of the EO to post unless they attempt to provide an educated, intelligent rebuttal to this post. I haven't seen any facts that support the efficacy of this "security" measure - only hyperbole and xenophobic comments.

I am a lifelong Republican, but Trump has already proven to be an unparalleled disaster in his first few weeks in office.
14054058_1001133033326687_630390895552088835_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT