ADVERTISEMENT

Covid numbers on the rise again...

CUFreeze

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2011
Here is FL we went from being around 400 new cases a day to 4 straight days of 1100 to 1400 new cases.

It is about to get worse too as we continue to open up, protests continue, and people start to forget about the virus with everything else that is going on.

Football season is far from guaranteed at this point. Wish we would have just stayed quarantined for a few more weeks.

Here is FL we went from being around 400 new cases a day to 4 straight days of 1100 to 1400 new cases.

It is about to get worse too as we continue to open up, protests continue, and people start to forget about the virus with everything else that is going on.

Football season is far from guaranteed at this point. Wish we would have just stayed quarantined for a few more weeks.

I'm not sure what a few more weeks would have done.

It is becoming quite clear that as soon as people begin gathering this thing explodes.

You can face it now or later.

It is what it is.

Of course they are rising. We have more tests. Greenville has had a spike but the hospitals are not being overrun. Plus, people are not doing a great job staying apart. Time for folks to calm down and the media to just stop fueling the fire.

Why that would have assured no football ?

Of course they are rising. We have more tests. Greenville has had a spike but the hospitals are not being overrun. Plus, people are not doing a great job staying apart. Time for folks to calm down and the media to just stop fueling the fire.

I'm more concerned with the % positive rate increasing.

You can be smart and not shelter in place but a lot of people are throwing caution to the wind.

We should have football full capacity with masks required to enter the stadium and sit in your seat. Just that simple.

Of course they are rising. We have more tests. Greenville has had a spike but the hospitals are not being overrun. Time for folks to calm down and the media to just stop fueling the fire.
Good take. If the number of asymptotic and non-hospitalized cases rise as the total positive test go up, let’s roll through this thing and get it done. The shelter in place / lock down time is over. It provided much needed data and we now need to use that data to move forward.

We need an active society that understands the risk at a personal level and takes precaution accordingly.

I'm not sure what a few more weeks would have done.

It is becoming quite clear that as soon as people begin gathering this thing explodes.

You can face it now or later.

It is what it is.
Quit making too much sense

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
I'm more concerned with the % positive rate increasing.

You can be smart and not shelter in place but a lot of people are throwing caution to the wind.
There is a small group out there who thinks it is all a fabricated farce. They refuse to take any precautions and act recklessly in the presence of others. I understand we live in political incendiary times, but to completely ignore a new highly contagious virus for which there is no treatment or vaccine is pure nonsense.

Last edited:

I’m in Florida too. You’re leaving out a little info to everyone.

Florida currently has 63k positive cases.

They reopened initially minus counties that had huge numbers. Basically everyone minus Dade, Palm Beach and Broward counties. Which, combined, make up over HALF of Florida’s current positive cases.

Those three counties alone have over 35k positive cases.

The numbers went up as they reopened these particularly heavy affected areas. This was already to be expected.

Also, there’s a lot more testing occurring now than before.

Lastly, the percent of positive tests in the state overall hasn’t peaked over 6% in the last month. Still at 5.3%.

Just for reference, it was over 11 percent in late March.

don’t be sheep, folks.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429

Last edited:

LOL.

Herd immunity or a vaccine. Which comes first?
Herd immunity is the way to go.
There is small group out there who think it is all a fabricated farce. They refuse to take any precautionary acts and act recklessly in the presence of others. I understand we live in political incendiary times, but to completely ignore a new contagious virus for which there is no treatment or vaccine is pure nonsense.
@johnhugh and his dad have signed up for the free trial as silver members.

Corona is now a part of life. People need to decide for themselves what that should look like. If people want to gather in large groups, then they should have the opportunity.

The medical system got hit as hard as any with the "shutdown". That is not the way to go, and as stated above, it was only to flatten the curve. Not to make it go away.

There is small group out there who think it is all a fabricated farce. They refuse to take any precautionary acts and act recklessly in the presence of others. I understand we live in political incendiary times, but to completely ignore a new contagious virus for which there is no treatment or vaccine is pure nonsense.

lol user name checks out.

I can’t explain how much it blows my mind that people think a few more weeks would’ve done anything at all. It doesn’t matter when you open up. Cases will go up. There’s a lot more testing going on. It’s not even worthy of a conversation or headlines.

The most simple thing one can say, if you don’t want to go outside then stay in your home. Otherwise, people are going to work, restaurants, or whatever they want.

Good news is the virus is becoming less severe. Also more testing means more positives. Antibody tests included? Those folks have already had it. Who is reporting the stats? As we have seen, those can be wrong.

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
Hopefully a vaccine. Even assuming only 50% of people need to have antibodies to reach herd immunity and there is a 0.5% death rate that means almost 1 million Americans die. Realistically, the number for herd immunity is probably higher and the death rate is probably a little higher than half a percent. Maybe there is a way to protect the more vulnerable and lower that death rate, but even in a best-case scenario hundreds of thousands of Americans will die if we are forced to go that route.

How much of the herd will be ravaged before either occurs? Not trying to be too funny. I was rewatching Hud. I highly recommend this movie. It is based on Larry McMurtry's novel. Anyway, one of the subplots involves a herd of cattle carrying foot/mouth. The cattle have to be shot/destroyed to prevent the spread of the disease. We have seen other herds, deer for example, that are ravaged esp once population numbers become too dense for a particular region. Maybe human density is bumping up against its sustainable peak. With the interconnectedness of the globe, populations are harder to isolate esp against certain issues. Problems are not easily contained whether they are economic, poltical or medical. In short...

Last edited:
I’m in Florida too. You’re leaving out a little info to everyone.

Florida currently has 63k positive cases.

They reopened initially minus counties that had huge numbers. Basically everyone minus Dade, Palm Beach and Broward counties. Which, combined, make up over HALF of Florida’s current positive cases.

Those three counties alone have over 35k positive cases.

The numbers went up as they reopened these particularly heavy affected areas. This was already to be expected.

Also, there’s a lot more testing occurring now than before.

Lastly, the percent of positive tests in the state overall hasn’t peaked over 6% in the last month. Still at 5.3%.

Just for reference, it was over 11 percent in late March.

don’t be sheep, folks.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429
Sheep or no sheep, the bottom line is that there is just as much corona, or more, out there now than there was several weeks ago when we shut the country down. Being reopened for business in not an invitation to needlessly harm ones self or others by ones own stubbornness or thoughtlessness.

Small sample size ..

But there is a hospital in SC that is doing a clinical trial and only had 5 people in the trial that are very sick..

This week they have added 25 people to the study..

That's the only thing that worries me is the people who are at greatest risk are now starting to becoming infected..

It was the right thing to open but people aren't even trying to be careful now and it's starting to show..

Numbers will rise and continue to rise but what about the death rate? I haven't researched to know but if the death rate doesn't increase then COVID may not be any more deadly than influenza.
Oh, and then let's talk about the vaccine. There was a study a couple of months ago that the virus mutates every 45 days. So, the vaccines that are being developed now will not include the mutated strains that will be around when the vaccine does come out. We need to slow down the excitement about how the vaccine(s) will be a game changer. We all know how the influenza vaccine works so well every year.

It was never about the virus going away. It was just to flatten the curve so we wouldn't overwhelm the health care system

I don't understand how people have forgotten that.

It’s simple.

The election. They can’t beat Trump without this hysteria (and the market is STILL back to here than when he took office). Now they’ve stopped with the “no gatherings” and will fan the flames of the riots to to do it. Rest assure, there’ll always find SOMETHING.
Literally In one week they went from “you can’t be on a beach and those anti locked down protesters will kill people” to “go protest and show Trump he’s wrong”. ‍♂️ I mean families weren’t allowed to have services for people who passed but Biden and thousands will attend for Floyd. It’s sickening

this is what I have noticed in SC, increase in cases but the number in the hospital for CoViD has stayed in the 400s for the last month it seems

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT