ADVERTISEMENT

Covid numbers on the rise again...

I’m surprised it took this liberal idiot so long to get in here and say something negative.
You mean for me to get in here and provide some facts. Something you definitely don't understand. So, now that tCovid-19 has killed double what the 2018 flu killed in one year...in just 4 months...you ready to admit you were an idiot when you first said this was just another flu?

this is what I have noticed in SC, increase in cases but the number in the hospital for CoViD has stayed in the 400s for the last month it seems
Death rate is 4% in SC which has been the case for several weeks I believe. So again, infectious rates my increase but death rate is not rising proportionately. That is what i consider good news even though any deaths are bad.

SC testing is definitely increased the last seven weeks .
I would imagine that it has over the last seven weeks. That would make sense, since that's not long after Covid-19 started catching on in the US.

Sheep or no sheep, the bottom line is that there is just as much corona, or more, out there now than there was several weeks ago when we shut the country down. Being reopened for business in not an invitation to needlessly harm ones self or others by ones own stubbornness or thoughtlessness.
But, @johnhugh you've said on numerous occasions that you don't work anyway...

The Corona virus has done nothing to effect your everyday life, the rest of us need to make a living.

But, @johnhugh you've said on numerous occasions that you don't work anyway...

The Corona virus has done nothing to effect your everyday life, the rest of us need to make a living.
I don't know why you address him through me, other than maybe you are trolling him , and you want him to see your posts when, or if, he returns.

I can’t explain how much it blows my mind that people think a few more weeks would’ve done anything at all. It doesn’t matter when you open up. Cases will go up. There’s a lot more testing going on. It’s not even worthy of a conversation or headlines.

The most simple thing one can say, if you don’t want to go outside then stay in your home. Otherwise, people are going to work, restaurants, or whatever they want.

The time for quarantine was early. First in China in December, then in Europe and US In Jan/Feb. We missed the boat because everyone underestimated the problem and let too many cases get into the wild. There are enough cases in the country to replicate unless people start to embrace common sense efforts to reduce transmissibility and stay with them long enough to kill it off. Further lockdowns will only flatten peaks and destroy the economy because we are not willing (or able) to maintain it long enough.

Last edited:
It was never about the virus going away. It was just to flatten the curve so we wouldn't overwhelm the health care system

I don't understand how people have forgotten that.
Post of the year.

We have successfully flattened the curve. Health care is nowhere close to being overwhelmed. Meanwhile the mortality rate continues to be reflected as a lower and lower number, which it was the entire time we just made estimates based on extremely limited information that was available. Current estimates at 0.2% (original estimates were around 3.5%). As the monitoring continues to improve, the actual mortality rate will likely continue to fall. Point being, even if the disease does spread some, it’s not nearly as dangerous as what we were told.

I'm more concerned with the % positive rate increasing.

You can be smart and not shelter in place but a lot of people are throwing caution to the wind.
SC positive have dropped from almost 11% to 5.8%
What are you talking about?

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
Vaccines speed up herd immunity... but less illness/death.

Here is FL we went from being around 400 new cases a day to 4 straight days of 1100 to 1400 new cases.

It is about to get worse too as we continue to open up, protests continue, and people start to forget about the virus with everything else that is going on.

Football season is far from guaranteed at this point. Wish we would have just stayed quarantined for a few more weeks.

The virus is here to stay. Quarantine delays the inevitable. I seriously want to know your rationale behind quarantining a few more weeks?

Reactions: jeffcoat
Ok. I read a little more. Total positive tests include many who have been tested multiple times....yes near 9%.

Positive CASES near 6 percent.

They should make that more clear.

Yeah, I was referring to daily % positive.

SC was staying pretty steady at around 5% per day until the last week or so. The % has trended up recently for daily tests.

Reactions: CUAngler
Here is FL we went from being around 400 new cases a day to 4 straight days of 1100 to 1400 new cases.

It is about to get worse too as we continue to open up, protests continue, and people start to forget about the virus with everything else that is going on.

Football season is far from guaranteed at this point. Wish we would have just stayed quarantined for a few more weeks.
WTF cares. If you're old, sick, or worried, stay locked in your home if you want. The rest of us, wide the F open.

I don't know a about Florida but in Columbia, SC it seems like a coronavirus testing site is on every street corner. And there is no requirement for who can be tested. I am sure people that have had little to no symptoms that are getting tested are now included whereas weeks ago when testing was only for people with symptoms the numbers weren't as high.

Good take. If the number of asymptotic and non-hospitalized cases rise as the total positive test go up, let’s roll through this thing and get it done. The shelter in place / lock down time is over. It provided much needed data and we now need to use that data to move forward.

We need an active society that understands the risk at a personal level and takes precaution accordingly.
Herd immunity and let it take care of itself like every other virus since the beginning of time. There is no other option at this point.

Hopefully a vaccine. Even assuming only 50% of people need to have antibodies to reach herd immunity and there is a 0.5% death rate that means almost 1 million Americans die. Realistically, the number for herd immunity is probably higher and the death rate is probably a little higher than half a percent. Maybe there is a way to protect the more vulnerable and lower that death rate, but even in a best-case scenario hundreds of thousands of Americans will die if we are forced to go that route.
The loss of a million lives is a lot no matter how you look at it, and I get that. However, we have more than that many people die every year from cancer and heart disease, every single year. We also have tens of thousands of deaths that could be prevented every year if we stayed at home, or drastically lowered the speed limit, or via many other restrictive policies. Almost 3 million people a year die already. We already sacrifice lives for money and convenience as a society.
We are in a situation with no good solutions, but the choice between shutting things down until there is a vaccine and a third more deaths for one year is an obvious one from an unemotional standpoint. It sucks, and I have family members who would likely have to stay home for that duration, but they would have to do that no matter what. Even then, there is a higher chance they may die from the virus, but you simply can not afford to keep the economy bottled up indefinitely. There are thousands of people who will lose their life from loss of income/insurance and those number will increase exponentially the longer people go without their medication or financial ability to get medical treatment. It is not a one sided equation, but even if it were the death of less than 1/3 of one percent of the population does not warrant the destruction of the economy and the hardship that would create. It is a difficult choice to make, but it is not difficult to know what is the right choice.

Hospitalizations is what we should be looking at.
Testing data doesn't tell us very much with variable testing rates.

Here in NC we went from 450 new hospitalizations per day pre-opening back up to 700
new hospitalizations after opening back up.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article243299221.html

(I'm not saying we shouldn't start opening back up with reasonable distancing & masks involved.. just pointing out the facts)

I don't know a about Florida but in Columbia, SC it seems like a coronavirus testing site is on every street corner. And there is no requirement for who can be tested. I am sure people that have had little to no symptoms that are getting tested are now included whereas weeks ago when testing was only for people with symptoms the numbers weren't as high.

Haven't seen one yet. I need to pay more attention.

What’s the positive test rate? It’s gone down as low as 4% on some days in Illinois.

Post of the year.

We have successfully flattened the curve. Health care is nowhere close to being overwhelmed. Meanwhile the mortality rate continues to be reflected as a lower and lower number, which it was the entire time we just made estimates based on extremely limited information that was available. Current estimates at 0.2% (original estimates were around 3.5%). As the monitoring continues to improve, the actual mortality rate will likely continue to fall. Point being, even if the disease does spread some, it’s not nearly as dangerous as what we were told.
Fauci said it would probably be under 1% since early March. A disease doesn't need to kill 4% to have devastating public health impacts. I fear like others that there isn't really an alternative to opening but the loss of life will be tragic.

SC testing is definitely increased the last seven weeks .
The number of tests went from 3350 on May 1st to 7536 on May 15. Then down to 5779 on May 28th. So no, they have not been consistently going up. Hell, they're not even consistently level. And I'm sure they are down since the protests because, at least in Columbia, many we were shut down because of the protests.

So the increase in cases in SC is not due to increasing testing. The number of cases have increased while testing has declined.

Edited to add that what we are seeing now is the spike from Memorial Day. The middle of this week we should start to see the spike from the protests. The worst thing is the protesters mostly come from the group that has been disproportionetely hit by CV-19.

Last edited:
Reactions: MojitoJoe
Ok. I read a little more. Total positive tests include many who have been tested multiple times....yes near 9%.

Positive CASES near 6 percent.

They should make that more clear.
From the website....It does not include people who tested positive multiple times.

As South Carolina increases testing, there will likely be more laboratory-confirmed cases. The percent positive graphs show trends in the percent of cases of COVID-19 relative to the number of individuals newly tested during the last 28 and 14 days, respectively. The percent positive is the number of individual people that tested positive for the first time (390 as of June 6) divided by the number of newly tested individuals (4,485 as of June 6) by both DHEC’s laboratory and private laboratories, then multiplied by 100 (8.7% for June 6).

Last edited:

Thats not really true, more like a half truth.

Testing has been increased Significantly which artificially increases case numbers and the curve is still flat as a pancake. The increase in testing in Fla is why there are more cases confirmed. But carry on no need to panic.

96-DA92-B9-B866-4-F50-9-C78-2-BC3-A6958-DD0.png

USA
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
C4-A4676-F-F08-A-4-DF2-B879-E454-BC4-ACB3-F.png

AA54-C7-BD-0-AD7-4-A47-A837-A28-D633195-C5.png

8-FAE22-FA-2825-4-A2-E-AC02-75-D1-E3-F87-AA4.png

9956715-A-08-B0-4-A63-B470-B6-EAB456-DE76.png

Fla
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida/

Last edited:
Reactions: ClemsonGentleman
I’m in Florida too. You’re leaving out a little info to everyone.

Florida currently has 63k positive cases.

They reopened initially minus counties that had huge numbers. Basically everyone minus Dade, Palm Beach and Broward counties. Which, combined, make up over HALF of Florida’s current positive cases.

Those three counties alone have over 35k positive cases.

The numbers went up as they reopened these particularly heavy affected areas. This was already to be expected.

Also, there’s a lot more testing occurring now than before.

Lastly, the percent of positive tests in the state overall hasn’t peaked over 6% in the last month. Still at 5.3%.

Just for reference, it was over 11 percent in late March.

don’t be sheep, folks.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429
96-DA92-B9-B866-4-F50-9-C78-2-BC3-A6958-DD0.png

We can't do another quarantine but I don't understand why people won't wear face masks when inside public places. I went to a fishing tackle store in Mt. Pleasant last week. Small, cramped space where social distancing is not possible. Not a single employee and damn few c;ustomers were wearing masks. If you don't like face masks, you are going to really hate a ventilator.

It was never about the virus going away. It was just to flatten the curve so we wouldn't overwhelm the health care system

I don't understand how people have forgotten that.

THIS is the winner. And this is what I'm concerned about. The shutdown was a good thing. We as a country were woefully unprepared and thankfully this particular virus was not as deadly as we first feared. We definitely took it on the chin with about 110K dead in 3 months BUT if this thing had been a really bad bug, we could have lost millions. We dodged a bullet for sure.

As Ron said. We aren't getting a vaccine before the end of the year AT THE EARLIEST. We are racing and cutting corners to get that vaccine and hopefully that works out. The key here (as it's always been) is to flatten the curve so that hospitals and health care workers don't get overwealmed. I think we continue to open up, but you HAVE to pay attention to the curve on the models. When you start to get close to hitting capacity, you have to back off. But if your ARE NOT close to hitting that, just keep doing what we are doing.

Reactions: fatpiggy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT