ADVERTISEMENT

Covid numbers on the rise again...

We can't do another quarantine but I don't understand why people won't wear face masks when inside public places. I went to a fishing tackle store in Mt. Pleasant last week. Small, cramped space where social distancing is not possible. Not a single employee and damn few c;ustomers were wearing masks. If you don't like face masks, you are going to really hate a ventilator.

Donald Trump doesn't wear a face mask b/c he doesn't want to give the press the satisfaction. That's good enough for those in the bait shop I'm sure.

Donald Trump doesn't wear a face mask b/c he doesn't want to give the press the satisfaction. That's good enough for those in the bait shop I'm sure.

Fools following a fool. Shouldn't panic, but until a vaccine or treatment is available, failing to take reasonable/minimal precautions to help avoid/reduce future increases simply irresponsible.

Reactions: undertheradar
Fools following a fool. Shouldn't panic, but until a vaccine or treatment is available, failing to take reasonable/minimal precautions to help avoid/reduce future increases simply irresponsible.

I actually wouldn't call him a fool in this case... He's just being himself. Now most folks think that if you are a leader and you recommend that everyone wear a mask in public, you should set an example. That's not Trump's style. Wearing a mask SUCKS. It's hot, uncomfortable and fogs up my glasses. PLUS, it's not protecting me. It's protecting others FROM me (if I'm infected). Trump is more of a do as I say, not as I do kind of guy, especially if he's is going to be inconvienced in any way.

And his supporters love that style of leadership.

There is an old saying,
"You have lies, damned lies and statistics"

The discussion is all relative to the context in which you utilize statistics to enforce your belief.

Are you concerned about world statistics, u.s. statistics, your state statistics, your county statistics, your ZIP code statistics, your family and friends statistics or your personal situation?
Nationally new cases per day and deaths per day have a decline.
Within States new cases per day have increased in some states and in others they have declined.

As a person over 65, primary breadwinner and with some health issues, I am concerned about my family and myself, primarily.

I actually wouldn't call him a fool in this case... He's just being himself. Now most folks think that if you are a leader and you recommend that everyone wear a mask in public, you should set an example. That's not Trump's style. Wearing a mask SUCKS. It's hot, uncomfortable and fogs up my glasses. PLUS, it's not protecting me. It's protecting others FROM me (if I'm infected). Trump is more of a do as I say, not as I do kind of guy, especially if he's is going to be inconvienced in any way.

And his supporters love that style of leadership.

You have perfectly described an a@@hole. You are also correct that his followers do love that about him- makes me wonder if there is a correlation.

Failing to set an example is a sign of poor leadership.

If taking minor precautions is too great of a hurdle, listening/responding to major complaints about another future major lockdown may be just too big of a reach for everyone else.

Actually, we're not really testing more than we have in the past month

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/...s-per-thousand?time=2020-05-13..&country=~USA
If you believe this, wow. COVID-19 testing increased substantially over the month of May from the start of the month until the end in the US. It continues to increase at a rapid pace and has been doing so since mid March.

And note that daily death rates and hospital use rates are declining steadily in the US since they peaked the second week of April. This includes whatever re-opening stuff is occurring.

Death rate is 4% in SC which has been the case for several weeks I believe. So again, infectious rates my increase but death rate is not rising proportionately. That is what i consider good news even though any deaths are bad.
Note that this death rate among confirmed cases, not a true death rate which keeps coming down. It could be as low as 0.2% though the most negative modeling would have it around 1.5%. There are some who think it could be under 0.2% once we know more (because of the large number of asymptomatic untested subjects).

Reactions: pickenstiger
My own personal bias is I don't trust any of you.

In all seriousness, being a relatively new strain of virus the information is subjective at best or ignorant at worst. We just don't know. It is going to be a while before the data tell us anything of significance (oh, except for the juking the stats part). Might be longer before a reliable vaccine is developed. Until then I am still going to exercise some caution.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT