ADVERTISEMENT

Deficit Spending for FY2019

GOP hated deficit and raising debt ceiling with Obama in office. Now with Trump in office , the deficit is about as big a deal as climate change or funding immigrant healthcare.
I don't mean to pick on your post, but I hope you understand the fundamental difference between the Obama concept and the Trump concept.

Obama raised the debt by solely increasing spending. This is completely unsustainable in the long run, but it does get a Democrat re-elected.

Trump's concept is to initially reduce revenue (ie lower tax cuts) with the expectation that when people keep more of their money then they spend more, which then leads to more businesses opening/expanding, which leads to more people with a job, which then leads to an overall increase in revenue because even though everyone is paying less taxes, there are more paying it. It is the concept that makes up the Laffer Curve that President Reagan proved in the 80's works.

Now obviously, the process takes time to ripple through but I would much rather support a program that ultimately increases the "pie" (ie more people working and paying taxes) than one that increases spending which promotes government handouts that ultimately produce a cycle of government dependency that actually shrinks the "pie".

Just think of your own situation. If you are in trouble, can you spend your way out of it? Is it more reasonable to temporarily go into debt in order to invest in yourself (ie college education, new suit for an interview, move to a new state where more jobs are, etc)?

Just my two cents. Go Tigers!!!

Neither of which are true. Consumer spending is growing and real wages are growing at the fastest rate in the last 20 years. BofA just set their corporate minimum wage at $20/hr and many companies have set theirs at $15/hr.

The unemployment rate is at historic levels, as are job openings and unemployment claims.

But don’t let the facts get in your way. The problem is not consumers/corporations it is entitlement spending on social security and health care. It does not matter how much you tax people and companies if you don’t find a way to control those two costs which neither party has the appetite to do.
I’ll bet you companies like BOA that are raising their minimum wages will also lay off a significant amount of employees over the next several years as they implement the wage increase.

Just to answer my question, a party will have to raise taxes 81% to keep up with spending.

Good Luck.

You dont get it. Revenues are almost always higher, year over year, unless we are in a significant recession. We have broken revenue records consistently throughout our nation's history thanks to basic inflation. The problem is that revenue growth rates have slowed to almost nothing and are not even coming close to keeping pace with inflation. Last years revenue growth was almost stagnant and it is startling to see considering that it happened when we weren't in the midst of a financial crisis. See the snapshot below...
So if it makes you feel better to say revenues are at an all time high, go right ahead and say it. But it makes you sound ignorant because we have set revenue records over 90% of the years in our nation's history. Basic inflation mandates it. Are you boasting that Obama set a revenue record every year of his presidency, even during the early years coming out of the great recession?

Since 1960 we have set a revenue record every year except for 5. Those were deep recessionary years.

We almost slowed to no revenue growth last year and did it during what is supposed to be an economic boom. Scary.

Good points, but revenue still did go up with lower tax rates across the board which stimulated the economy and created jobs. The economy for Joe Six Pack is better than its been in a long time with record unemployment rates and wage increases. The hole the US is in related to spending is almost insurmountable using standard ideas at this point. I am predicting some type of world economic reset within 5 to 7 years honestly.

Any kind of confiscatory tax plans that may even dream of knocking a dent in deficit even on a yearly budget level will crash the economy. The US is also almost forced to continue heavy military spending with the China monster that we created growing fast and the interest on the national debt keeps growing. Its a bleak picture and when the US economy crashes it will suck the world down with it...........then the reset happens.

As the link @TigerGrowls mentions, overall revenue increased by 0.5% or $14 billion dollars. Spending increased by $127 billion.

You can argue that spending is THE issue (and I agree it’s one), but that money was budgeted to be spent long before the tax cuts. They knew that they wouldn’t be able to cover the shortfall.

The deficit will perpetually be “the next guy’s problem”. There is nothing political advantageous about dealing with it while in office.

Give Trump the line item veto and I guarantee you that spending will go down significantly. That unfortunately will not happen. This is not an easy problem to solve....its harder than the Kobyashi Maru on Star Trek. Trump may come up with something yet, but he is hamstrung by the do nothings in congress that are just worried about keeping a job and forwarding the agendas of whoever owns them.

I don't mean to pick on your post, but I hope you understand the fundamental difference between the Obama concept and the Trump concept.

Obama raised the debt by solely increasing spending. This is completely unsustainable in the long run, but it does get a Democrat re-elected.

Trump's concept is to initially reduce revenue (ie lower tax cuts) with the expectation that when people keep more of their money then they spend more, which then leads to more businesses opening/expanding, which leads to more people with a job, which then leads to an overall increase in revenue because even though everyone is paying less taxes, there are more paying it. It is the concept that makes up the Laffer Curve that President Reagan proved in the 80's works.

Now obviously, the process takes time to ripple through but I would much rather support a program that ultimately increases the "pie" (ie more people working and paying taxes) than one that increases spending which promotes government handouts that ultimately produce a cycle of government dependency that actually shrinks the "pie".

Just think of your own situation. If you are in trouble, can you spend your way out of it? Is it more reasonable to temporarily go into debt in order to invest in yourself (ie college education, new suit for an interview, move to a new state where more jobs are, etc)?

I think it’s fair to say that both approaches increase the deficit.

But I thought when you gave CEOs more money they would redistribute it back to their employees? And when the rich make more money instead of just being wealthier they go and spend it?

It’s incredible that people actually believe this. Had a nice trend of lowering the deficit under Obama. Dems always have to clean up the republican mess they inherit

They are, just look at the facts
I’ll bet you companies like BOA that are raising their minimum wages will also lay off a significant amount of employees over the next several years as they implement the wage increase.

I doubt it, if anything they may have fewer overall employees but tilt more toward higher wages and productive employees. But even those who are laid off if the conditions are as today they are facing one of the best environments to get a job in a very long time given increasing real wages and record job openings

It is the concept that makes up the Laffer Curve that President Reagan proved in the 80's works.
It works?

Is this why the national debt increased by 186% under Reagan?

Is that why the annual job growth rate was lower under Reagan than it was under Carter or Clinton?

Is that why real hourly wages declined every year under Reagan?

Is that why federal spending under Reagan was higher than it was under Carter or Clinton?

Is that why there were more federal regulations created under Reagan than under Clinton, GWB, or Obama? Should be noted much of the deregulation Reagan gets credit for actually happened under Carter.

I like tax cuts. I love them. The government should spend less and tax less but that’s not what happened under Reagan. Republicans get so infatuated with Reaganomics that they lose sight of the negatives that came out of it and the fact that many of the positives followed standard Keynesian economic philosophy.

No. No. I was promised the tax cut would pay for itself. Just wait--the Republicans promised and they are so honest and Trump is the best with the money and the winning. GDP! GDP!

And don't forget--even with the deficits Republicans could increase military spending and pay billions for a wall, so there isn't any need to cut anything when we can spend on these things.

Just keep winning! (oh and judges!)

Oh--did I miss my cue to start worrying about the deficit?? Ahh..yes, the Republicans are in the minority now, NOW we can think about debt and how we can use it as a weapon to get rid of things we don't like. Forgive me for the above, totally forgot about the classic Republican pivot. We are so predictable to the point of almost being disingenuous and dishonest, but--hey, keep winning!
Since Dems don't want to talk about cutting spending on entitlements and stopping hundreds of thousands of new "victims" soon to be added to the payroll from hopping the fence, let me help with the classic Democrat pivot...RACIST! HOMOPHOBE! HATE MONGER! WHITE NATIONALIST!

Since Dems don't want to talk about cutting spending on entitlements and stopping hundreds of thousands of new "victims" soon to be added to the payroll from hopping the fence, let me help with the classic Democrat pivot...RACIST! HOMOPHOBE! HATE MONGER! WHITE NATIONALIST!

Having said this though, both parties are too entrenched in politics to ever do anything about this major problem, and that is truly sad.

Reactions: broncosrb26
It works?

Is that why the annual job growth rate was lower under Reagan than it was under Carter or Clinton?

Is that why federal spending under Reagan was higher than it was under Carter or Clinton?

Is that why there were more federal regulations created under Reagan than under Clinton, GWB, or Obama? Should be noted much of the deregulation Reagan gets credit for actually happened under Carter.

I like tax cuts. I love them. The government should spend less and tax less but that’s not what happened under Reagan. Republicans get so infatuated with Reaganomics that they lose sight of the negatives that came out of it and the fact that many of the positives followed standard Keynesian economic philosophy.
So I was focused in my response on the revenue side of the ledger. The Laffer Curve concept absolutely works and did so in the 80's.

If you want to focus on the Reagan years then you also have to acknowledge the other factors of the time. First was the cold war. Carter, and even presidents before him (but after Vietnam) diminished the military so in order to win the cold war, military spending had to go up.

The second factor facing Reagan was the makeup of the congress. All eight years the Democrats held the House and 6/8 years they held the Senate. Reagan worked closely with Tip O'Neil to improve the revenue side of the ledger but the Dems refused to cut spending which led to some of the issues you mention.

Funny the you mention Clinton since I always get into some interesting conversations about him. Folks want to give him all the credit for the surpluses but the reality is that he benefited from his own ignorance. First thing he did when he got into office was to enact the largest tax increase in the history of the US. He and the Dems in the Congress were then set to raise spending accordingly but they were halted by the 1994 congressional elections (which were a backlash from the tax increases) where the Reps took the House for the first time in 42 years. That prevented Clinton from jacking up spending which he had plans to do.

Just my opinion. Go Tigers!!

The problem is that historically this has not worked. Look at Reagan's 8 years that led into Bush sr. Bush campaigned on "read my lips no new taxes" but ultimately had no choice but to raise taxes, which effectively ended his presidency. He had no choice. Then Clinton came in and raised taxes and balanced the budget. W took over, implemented the trickle down model again, and you know how that ended. the 2008 financial crisis. History has proven that your model does not work.

personally I hate paying taxes. But i know that low taxes now equals another financial sh*tstorm for me and my kids in the future.

Give Trump the line item veto and I guarantee you that spending will go down significantly. That unfortunately will not happen. This is not an easy problem to solve....its harder than the Kobyashi Maru on Star Trek. Trump may come up with something yet, but he is hamstrung by the do nothings in congress that are just worried about keeping a job and forwarding the agendas of whoever owns them.

Give Muschamp 200 scholarships and he can win the SEC. I find it interesting that your response to Trump's inability to keep his campaign promises is always to "change the rules" for him. Thats not how it works. He had a republican controlled congress and senate for two years and did jack sh*t on the deficit and the wall.

Reactions: OrangeForever
The problem is that historically this has not worked. Look at Reagan's 8 years that led into Bush sr. Bush campaigned on "read my lips no new taxes" but ultimately had no choice but to raise taxes, which effectively ended his presidency. He had no choice. Then Clinton came in and raised taxes and balanced the budget. W took over, implemented the trickle down model again, and you know how that ended. the 2008 financial crisis. History has proven that your model does not work.

personally I hate paying taxes. But i know that low taxes now equals another financial sh*tstorm for me and my kids in the future.
I understand your points. I was focused on the revenue side. Cutting taxes has proven to raise revenue. The problem is what happens to that revenue.
No different than someone making $500k a year but living paycheck to paycheck. Every time their “revenue” increased, they raised their spending.
Both sides have to be addressed.

Both sides suck calm your ass down
That is the truth....American politics is a shit show. The only difference is the greedy crooks on one side actually pretend to have a sense of morality. Hence the reason that I always feel like I'm voting for the lesser of two evils every time I cast a vote.

Reactions: ClemTigers83

Nice post. I think the theory on trickle down dies not work, which you and Trump seem to advocate. However the proof will be in the pudding and I do hope you and Trump are correct.

Where I disagree with you is about Trump-s willingness to cut spending. Sure he has proposed cuts to the dept of ed and housing and a few of the smaller agencies. But his proposed increases to defense would far outweigh any of these cuts. Then he proposes virtually no changes to the major entitlements, which is where the $$$ bucks are spent. Why? Bc most of his core voters are either the elderly or the disabled former factory / mine worker in the rust belt. It would be political suicide to cut the entitlements and he knows it. For sure he and Obama have different theories on the revenue side but on the expense side they are nominally different, at best. You eliminate dept of ed and interior and housing and EPA and it is but a tiny drop in a bigger bucket made bigger by greater defense spending.

That is a good resource for people to read through. Hopefully they do. This particular part is especially unnerving...

Interest Payments on the National Debt
In FY 2020, interest payments on the national debt are estimated at $479 billion. That's enough to pay for 10 Justice Departments. It's also one of the fastest growing expenses.

By 2029, it will more than double to $823 billion, becoming the third-largest budget item after Social Security and Medicare. It's not a mandatory program, but it must be paid to avoid a U.S. debt default. These estimates will increase as interest rates continue rising.

We are spending over $1 billion a day on interest from the debt. That will be $3 billion per day in 10 years, and probably more. The truth is we cant tackle this problem with only spending cuts. And we can't do it by focusing on welfare, which so many uneducated people seem to think has enough waste to account for our deficit spending. The truth is we must address revenue and spending both. The tax bill just passed was one of the single worst pieces of legislation ever. We must cut spending and raise revenues (taxes) in a strategic manner. I do not see any political climate that will allow for that.
It works?

Clinton was Arguably the most fiscally conservative president in the last 40-50 years

Nice post. I think the theory on trickle down dies not work, which you and Trump seem to advocate. However the proof will be in the pudding and I do hope you and Trump are correct.

Where I disagree with you is about Trump-s willingness to cut spending. Sure he has proposed cuts to the dept of ed and housing and a few of the smaller agencies. But his proposed increases to defense would far outweigh any of these cuts. Then he proposes virtually no changes to the major entitlements, which is where the $$$ bucks are spent. Why? Bc most of his core voters are either the elderly or the disabled former factory / mine worker in the rust belt. It would be political suicide to cut the entitlements and he knows it. For sure he and Obama have different theories on the revenue side but on the expense side they are nominally different, at best. You eliminate dept of ed and interior and housing and EPA and it is but a tiny drop in a bigger bucket made bigger by greater defense spending.
Good points.
I actually wouldn't consider myself a trickle down guy. All I really want is a system where people have the ability to succeed if they put the work in. I come from very little and worked my way to where I am today. I never even thought about saying in the lower class and hoping something tricked down to me.
Having said that, it really depends on your definition of trickle down. Some would argue it does exist because the poorest folks in the US would be considered upper class in most of the world. How many folks in the lower 25% in America still have an iPhone and a big screen TV? Trickle down is in the eye of the beholder.

I enjoyed the back and forth from the posts.

It works?

It works?

Today is Thursday. Are you going to release a my thoughts (Medium) breakdown of the spring game?

Some of us don’t want to wait until August to get an update on the new O-Line.

Today is Thursday. Are you going to release a my thoughts (Medium) breakdown of the spring game?

Some of us don’t want to wait until August to get an update on the new O-Line.
Haven’t even watched it

Here's a thought, if we need to save money maybe we don't need to pinch pennies like PBS. Perhaps, and I'm just throwing this out there, we don't need to build a wall or spend 1 trillion dollars on the military.

Also green energy so we don't have to rely on oil from the middle east would prob be nice.

The Laffer curve has been long dismissed. It was a SWAG based on the fact that at 100% tax rate everything stops. There is no way to test gradations (remember when America was that great Trumpian ideal, tax rates were 70% at the top). There is no indication the supply-side economics excuse to redirect money to the top that grew from it has never, ever, not once, nil, zilch times worked. The rising tide does not lift all economic boats.

The Right's favorite demigod Ronald Reagan ended that recession in two ways- 1) tax cuts and as I said before only tax cuts to the middle and bottom work because they spend every cent they can get. Tax cuts like the investment tax credit that target how corporations must behave to get the benefit also work. Just give corps a slug of cash and hoping they do the right things (the Trump plan) just leads to stock buybacks making CEO's heroes to the stockholders and earning them huge bonuses they also don't spend in ways that help the economy. 2) Reagan ran up huge debts with increased government spending. It's call fiscal policy and lowering taxes and increasing government spending.

Taxes are a valuable tool to fight both recessions and inflation. Taxes need to go back up when times are good. Thanks to this silly Reagan worship, every Republican who has run since has run on tax cuts regardless of what the economy is doing.

NEVER conflate government economics with personal economics. It's another GOP lie told so often most all of you believe it. I can't spend my way out of trouble as an individual because I don't have a currency printing press.

Next- everybody on the right must give up this "cut spending" mantra. Again, government econ is not personal econ. Give Obama credit here- unlike our European brethren, we did not practice austerity and they bottomed out way below us and stayed there longer. Governmental austerity in tough times, just like trickle-down, has never ever worked.

GDP is spending and it doesn't matter who spends it and rightly or not, that's how we are measured. It's not debt, it's debt to GDP.
Take an imaginary country with a $10 trillion GDP and a $10 trillion debt. for a debt-to-GDP ratio of 100%. Say $5 trillion of that GDP was government spending. Say times get tough. Tax revenues go down because people are out of work. The government decides to cut $1 trillion of it spending saying "we all must tighten our belts." Your GDP jumps to 111% and tax revenues will further decrease because that $1 trillion in cuts comes from somewhere like government workers or defense contractors who spend that money again at the grocery store (check out marginal propensity to spend). Your GDP shrinks again. Viscious circle.

Finally those "entitlements" we all pay for (social security, medicare) and even those we don't like food stamps create automatic spending every month and that's what kept the 2008 mega-recession from achieving depression status.

Look, I hate identity politics and political correctness as much as anyone on here. Even someone as mild as we consider Robin Williams to have been, he'd have been excoriated by that portion of today's left for making fun of people and would have spent more time apologizing than he did being funny. I don't care about your damn feelings; I care about results.

My team is dead wrong on that but I am still a lefty because the science is right (global warming, evolution, age of the earth) and the economic numbers balance. Well, that and universal health care (denying health care, especially to children is barbaric). You are being robbed blind and being taught to defend it to the death. Sad thing is, I understand it and it's not fixable.

I am sorry but your post is typical for a liberal. Make incorrect statements and do so in a condescending tone as to treat others as if they are ignorant and you know it all.

The Laffer curve has proven to work - People keep more of their money therefore they spend more

You comment that Reagan increased taxes but you conveniently leave out the fact that Democrats ran the congress during that time.

Liberals like to talk about companies making more profit but conveniently leave out the fact that publicly traded companies are owned by regular people like me. In addition, anyone can buy stock if they work hard enough to make some money

Your comments on GDP are obvious since I can handle the math, but are irrelevant for this discussion.

You comment on tax cuts for lower and middle class, another liberal red herring. The lower 50% already pay 0 taxes, so there is no way to "cut" their taxes. Your thought is to give them more money because they spend it immediately which actually helps the economy?? I look at it this way - The government takes 10 dollars from me, they use 3 dollars to support the government process, they waste 2 dollars because the government process is a bloated mess, just to give 5 dollars to people who will spend it. Why don't you just give me my 10 dollars back and I will spend it on goods and services which then will lead to more jobs being available for those low income people.

You then finish with standard liberal crap related to global warming (there is no credible evidence that warming is caused by man) and health care for all with no way to pay for it.

I enjoy a good debate but I walk away when people come is with a condescending attitude spewing incorrect information.

My bottom line remains that I want a limited government so they stay out of the way of free market economics that propelled the US to the top country in the world. I believe that people should work for what they get. If people want more than what they have then go find a way to earn it instead of crying about fairness. I came from nothing and earned everything I have. Anybody who looks at me now and says it is not fair has no clue the sacrifices I made or the hours I worked to get where I am.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT