ADVERTISEMENT

Diet thread got me wondering...what is "average"...

I have a hard time envisioning what 5'8", 220, with a 34" waist looks like, unless you have a massive chest and shoulders. I have a 33" waist, and I am 6', 190 lbs.

I do have a pretty large chest, but I have very large thighs and calves. In high school at 220 I could dunk a tennis ball and my PR in the 200 was 24 flat.

Reactions: southerncaltiger
To quote @iceheart08, Yikes. Apologies to @Ron Munson, because I didn't realize it was this bad. 40" is average? Wow.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/body-measurements.htm

Not that it’s any better, but just reminder to all that this isn’t pant size. Medical waste circumference is measured at the top of the iliac crest just below the belly button. This is much higher than most people wear their paints and waste circumference for men is almost always larger than hip level where pants are worn. So a 40” waste is likely a 34 or max 36” pant size.

Not that it’s any better, but just reminder to all that this isn’t pant size. Medical waste circumference is measured at the top of the iliac crest just below the belly button. This is much higher than most people wear their paints and waste circumference for men is almost always larger than hip level where pants are worn. So a 40” waste is likely a 34 or max 36” pant size.
Agreed, which is why a 46x32 athletic fit pair of jeans is absurd. I have yet to think of a scenario in which someone with those measurements looks athletic.

I’m 6’3” and 168lb and 32” waist.
48 years ago I was 6’3” 210lb and also had a 32” waist.
Just shows there are a lot of factors involved here.

Agreed, which is why a 46x32 athletic fit pair of jeans is absurd. I have yet to think of a scenario in which someone with those measurements looks athletic.
What’s average height? I was 190 in highschool working out and playing basketball. If you’re saying 5’8” is average then yeah.

What’s average height? I was 190 in highschool working out and playing basketball. If you’re saying 5’8” is average then yeah.
I’m not following you. A 46” waist paired with a 32” inseam is anything but an athletic build.

My 13 year old wears a 34×34, is almost 6'3" and weighs 190lbs. If he continues to grow, the length will become hard to find.

I’m a 36-38 length depending on the pants/company. You’ll have to order everything. You won’t be able to buy stuff in stores.

I'm far from a statistician but I would think the fellas that are really large skew the data to the high side.

I finally made it back to a 34 after 10+ years of 36 at 41 years old (humble brag). I can tell you 36X34 or 36x32 pants are very difficult to find in stores. If i could find one, wear it for at least a day to make sure I like them, and then order more of the exact cut online.
It's hard to find a suit for me. I wear a 46 L jacket with a 36" waist. Off the rack has a 40 or 42" waist. It's either custom or suit separates, which I don't like for some reason

I cant decide if 34x32 is a popular size or odd size because I have a hard time finding it. In reality, 33x31 is my ideal fit, but I can only get that in tailored suits.

Banana Republic has 33x31 on their website in pretty much all pants and shorts I believe.

5’10” 200 wearing 36x32 pants. Work measures ny waist at 38” or 39” for our company wellness program.

I’m 6’3” and 168lb and 32” waist.
48 years ago I was 6’3” 210lb and also had a 32” waist.
Just shows there are a lot of factors involved here.
I’m 37, am 6’3” and 216 ish with a 34” waist. I work out regularly but my doctor insists that I lose about 10 to 15 pounds. I could tighten up my mid section a little but I do think the “fat” scale is a little skewed.

I’m 37, am 6’3” and 216 ish with a 34” waist. I work out regularly but my doctor insists that I lose about 10 to 15 pounds. I could tighten up my mid section a little but I do think the “fat” scale is a little skewed.
I feel like most MD’s still operate using the outdated BMI chart. If you have any kind of muscle mass at 6’3 216, you are probably in better shape than 80% of Americans.

Reactions: rliner82
I feel like most MD’s still operate using the outdated BMI chart. If you have any kind of muscle mass at 6’3 216, you are probably in better shape than 80% of Americans.
I do have some muscle mass. I have 4 year old twins. When they were born I stopped working out for about two years, and got out of shape. The crazy thing is I weighed about 5-10 pounds less than I do now. I have added good weight the last year and a half.

149 is about where most 5'8" guys should be, I'd imagine. I'd like to get down to that size. 5'8.5", 167 here. I'm very skinny fat.
Yes. That kind of proves the point of this thread. 150 for a 5`8“ male is great, but by U.S. standards people think it's sickly.

You sound healthy. But at 65 that might be too heavy. Especially if you become pre diabetic. Unless you need to be that heavy for wrestling or football or something then 205 is healthier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT