ADVERTISEMENT

Nearly all fentanyl is smuggled in by American citizens and through legal check points.

PrimeIsGettingComfortable

Valles Marineris
Sep 5, 2023
Another false narrative that illegals are smuggling drugs across the border.

U.S. Citizens Were 89% of Convicted Fentanyl Traffickers in 2022​

By David J. Bier

This updates an earlier post.
Fentanyl overdoses tragically caused tens of thousands of preventable deaths last year. Many politicians who want to end U.S. asylum law claim that immigrants crossing the border illegally are responsible. An NPR‐Ipsos poll found that 39 percent of Americans and 60 percent of Republicans believe, “Most of the fentanyl entering the U.S. is smuggled in by unauthorized migrants crossing the border illegally.” A more accurate summary is that fentanyl is overwhelmingly smuggled by U.S. citizens, almost entirely for U.S. citizen consumers.
Here are the facts:
  • Fentanyl smuggling is ultimately funded by U.S. consumers who pay for illicit opioids: nearly 99 percent of whom are U.S. citizens.
  • In 2022, U.S. citizens were 89 percent of convicted fentanyl drug traffickers—12 times greater than convictions of illegal immigrants for the same offense.
  • In 2023, 93 percent of fentanyl seizures occurred at legal crossing points or interior vehicle checkpoints, not on illegal migration routes, so U.S. citizens (who are subject to less scrutiny) when crossing legally are the best smugglers.
  • The location of smuggling makes sense because hard drugs at ports of entry are at least 96 percent less likely to be stopped than people crossing illegallybetween them.
  • At most, just 0.009 percent of the people arrested by Border Patrol for crossing illegally possessed any fentanyl whatsoever.
  • Each individual busted for fentanyl by Border Patrol possessed, on average, half as much fentanyl as each person busted at ports of entry in 2023 (10 versus 20 pounds).
  • The government exacerbated the problem by banning most legal cross‐border traffic in 2020 and 2021, accelerating a switch to fentanyl (the easiest‐to‐conceal drug).
  • During the travel restrictions, fentanyl seizures at ports quadrupled from fiscal year 2019 to 2021. Fentanyl went from a third of combined heroin and fentanyl seizures to over 90 percent.
  • Annual deaths from fentanyl nearly doubled from 2019 to 2021 after the government banned most travel (and asylum).

Reactions: MChello
This is so funny. You will believe whatever Trump says with no evidence or support whatsoever. But a study with factual evidence from RIGHT-leaning Cato Institute is not credible.

Trump has created a cult. There is no other way to put it.
Couple things. Article is 18 months old, several of its citations are older. Your belief in what you posted, (that US citizens are 89% responsible) would be true if you can safely assume everyone smuggling fentanyl into the country were caught. With 10MM+ illegal aliens allowed free entry into the country, no one, (Including you) has any clue as to what’s been brought into the country.

By the way, don’t believe anything either side of the “media” says. Research it and draw your own conclusions. Prime example your assertion the Cato Institute is “RIGHT-leaning“ is feckless, specious and demonstrably wrong.

The article literally says seizures… meaning in the areas that people are stopped and ACTUALLY PROCESSED, they find the fentanyl. Obviously, this does not account for the thousands of ILLEGAL ALIENS that cross daily and are not searched. The FACT remains that since Biden took office, 3 times as many people die annually due to fentanyl, which would directly correspond to Biden’s open border policy. ( and btw, I don’t like Trump, but both of the before mentioned problems are directly attributed to Biden and the other idiots of the DNC) There is no counter argument to that.
This is so funny. You will believe whatever Trump says with no evidence or support whatsoever. But a study with factual evidence from RIGHT-leaning Cato Institute is not credible.

Trump has created a cult. There is no other way to put it.

By David J. Bier

Fentanyl overdoses tragically caused tens of thousands of preventable deaths last year. Many politicians who want to end U.S. asylum law claim that immigrants crossing the border illegally are responsible. An NPR‐Ipsos poll found that 39 percent of Americans and 60 percent of Republicans believe, “Most of the fentanyl entering the U.S. is smuggled in by unauthorized migrants crossing the border illegally.” A more accurate summary is that fentanyl is overwhelmingly smuggled by U.S. citizens, almost entirely for U.S. citizen consumers.
Here are the facts:
  • Fentanyl smuggling is ultimately funded by U.S. consumers who pay for illicit opioids: nearly 99 percent of whom are U.S. citizens.
  • In 2022, U.S. citizens were 89 percent of convicted fentanyl drug traffickers—12 times greater than convictions of illegal immigrants for the same offense.
  • In 2023, 93 percent of fentanyl seizures occurred at legal crossing points or interior vehicle checkpoints, not on illegal migration routes, so U.S. citizens (who are subject to less scrutiny) when crossing legally are the best smugglers.
  • The location of smuggling makes sense because hard drugs at ports of entry are at least 96 percent less likely to be stopped than people crossing illegallybetween them.
  • At most, just 0.009 percent of the people arrested by Border Patrol for crossing illegally possessed any fentanyl whatsoever.
  • Each individual busted for fentanyl by Border Patrol possessed, on average, half as much fentanyl as each person busted at ports of entry in 2023 (10 versus 20 pounds).
  • The government exacerbated the problem by banning most legal cross‐border traffic in 2020 and 2021, accelerating a switch to fentanyl (the easiest‐to‐conceal drug).
  • During the travel restrictions, fentanyl seizures at ports quadrupled from fiscal year 2019 to 2021. Fentanyl went from a third of combined heroin and fentanyl seizures to over 90 percent.
  • Annual deaths from fentanyl nearly doubled from 2019 to 2021 after the government banned most travel (and asylum).
Are you trying to make the claim that we should have an open border? First of all this article was released in September 2022. We are 18 months after that into a corrupt Biden open border administration.

You added some statements from 2023 which was after this article was written - so some of this is your opinion - not statements from this article. Further the Cato Institute is not some right wing organization that you claim it to be. More of its opinions in the past 10 years favor Left Wing propaganda.

The illegals come into the US and support the drug trade into the USA.

Since we are talking about buying fentanyl in the USA, naturally US citizens are the 99% of the buyers. No one thinks this is surprising and it is an obvious statement. Let's quote this statement from the article:

U.S. Citizens Are Fentanyl Traffickers

Fentanyl is primarily trafficked by U.S. citizens. The U.S. Sentencing Commission publishes data on all federal convictions, which includes demographic information on individuals convicted of fentanyl trafficking. Figure 1 shows the citizenship status of fentanyl traffickers for 2018 to 2021. Every year, U.S. citizens receive the most convictions by far. In 2021, U.S. citizens accounted for 86.3 percent of fentanyl trafficking convictions compared to just 8.9 percent for illegal immigrants.

So you are trying to draw conclusions from this article from the period of 2018 to 2021 (Trump was President in 2018, 2019, and 2020) - when the border was shut down and apply that to the unconstitutional behavior of the corrupt Biden Administration from 2021 to 2024? Please spare me the bullshit.

You guys need to be de-programmed from the cult. Here’s an update from 6 mos ago.

U.S. Citizens Bring Fentanyl Through Legal Crossing Points

That U.S. citizens account for most fentanyl trafficking convictions is not surprising given the location of fentanyl border seizures. In 2023, 93 percent of fentanyl border seizures occurred at legal border crossings and interior vehicle checkpoints (and 91 percent of drug seizures at checkpoints are from U.S. citizens—only 4 percent by “potentially removable” immigrants).

And LOL at anyone trying to say Cato is not right leaning. Charles Koch was a founder. It’s a libertarian think-tank. Just because it doesn’t support the gibberish your dipshit cult leader peddles does not mean it isn’t right-leaning.

Reactions: WapPride

By David J. Bier

Here are the facts:
You have somehow appeared out of thin air with contrarian theories to blame Americans

Chinese or Russian Troll or Just Dishonest Jack

• Haha
Reactions: DW4_2016
Data from some MSM or Web site operated abd supported by liberals, left wingnuts, Democraps, communists , China , Russia , North Korea or some other quack

You are one click from Ignore
Fragility on display. You could come off as a bigger pussy if you tried.

Reactions: dpic73
Here’s an idea. Life in prison if caught smuggling or distributing fentanyl. 1st offense = life over. Make the punishment so severe that nobody dares to participate. And the scum that do are locked away forever and society is better for it.

Here’s an idea. Life in prison if caught smuggling or distributing fentanyl. 1st offense = life over. Make the punishment so severe that nobody dares to participate. And the scum that do are locked away forever and society is better for it.
We tried that with crack and it was a complete failure. The only reason people deal drugs is because they feel they have no other options. I think funding charter schools would help tremendously, as would more pro-housing policies to keep the cost of living more manageable.

We tried that with crack and it was a complete failure. The only reason people deal drugs is because they feel they have no other options. I think funding charter schools would help tremendously, as would more pro-housing policies to keep the cost of living more manageable.
And demonCrats oppose those options. They don't want to oppose the teacher's union, because it is a big money maker for dems.

Wake up.

It isn’t team sports. You can have your own opinion but most of you choose to just follow whatever your orange idol tells you.
You are a liar.

For you it is "team sports". You believe in D and R and anything that the MSM tells you.

Yes, I'm going to vote for Trump, but its not because he's my "
orange idol" as you put it.
I'm against destroying this country, but you seem to have no problem with it

Do you actually think I care?

Do you actually think I care LOL

I would consider listening to a reasonable sensible point of view

With you just go to a radical web site and you are probably using ChatGBT and having it write a position paper and then cutting and pasting it

Keep at it

Do you actually think I care LOL

I would consider listening to a reasonable sensible point of view

With you just go to a radical web site and you are probably using ChatGBT and having it write a position paper and then cutting and pasting it

Keep at it

You are hopeless. Have consumed so much orange kool aid that you are incapable of thinking clearly. Everything I have posted is from a credible organization backed up with data and analysis.

You are choosing to bury your head in the sand because it clearly illustrates how false the narratives spewed from Trump really are.

You are hopeless. Have consumed so much orange kool aid that you are incapable of thinking clearly. Everything I have posted is from a credible organization backed up with data and analysis.

You are choosing to bury your head in the sand because it clearly illustrates how false the narratives spewed from Trump really are.

Being a white ass I just spoke to a room full of black folks

First I trust what people in communities say NOT what Trump says

Your posts and statements go against what the real world is experiencing

Get out and talk to people and stop with the fake Chat gbt

Don’t believe what you conjure magically out of your deep thoughts means you are right

Just an observation

• Haha
Reactions: DW4_2016
Seems simple enough. But I'd wager the prison population would explode and locking up people for 70 years is expensive and probably a horrible waste of our resources.

Couple things. Article is 18 months old, several of its citations are older. Your belief in what you posted, (that US citizens are 89% responsible) would be true if you can safely assume everyone smuggling fentanyl into the country were caught. With 10MM+ illegal aliens allowed free entry into the country, no one, (Including you) has any clue as to what’s been brought into the country.

By the way, don’t believe anything either side of the “media” says. Research it and draw your own conclusions. Prime example your assertion the Cato Institute is “RIGHT-leaning“ is feckless, specious and demonstrably wrong.
This. The vast majority of fentanyl coming into the US is not being brought by legal US citizens. The vast majority of fentanyl in the US comes from 2 cartels that source the bulk of their chemical inputs from China. I have mentioned what I did in a previous life on here before. The overlap between drug trafficking and terrorism/arms dealing/trafficking is large. There are orgs moving single shipments of coke and fentanyl that are well into the thousands of kilos. That isn’t being moved by random individuals.

This. The vast majority of fentanyl coming into the US is not being brought by legal US citizens. The vast majority of fentanyl in the US comes from 2 cartels that source the bulk of their chemical inputs from China. I have mentioned what I did in a previous life on here before. The overlap between drug trafficking and terrorism/arms dealing/trafficking is large. There are orgs moving single shipments of coke and fentanyl that are well into the thousands of kilos. That isn’t being moved by random individuals.
That can be true and also those cartels could be using US citizens as their mules. Both things can and likely are true.

That can be true and also those cartels could be using US citizens as their mules. Both things can and likely are true.
I’m sure they use some. Those people account for a very small fraction of fentanyl getting to the US. So, pretending those US citizens that get arrested at the border represent how the majority of fentanyl got here and/or acting like those arrests at the border account for anything other than a small fraction of what’s actually here is - at best - laughably ignorant.

Last edited:
Not doubting the numbers but we have to remember that US citizens may be bringing in the majority but that’s only what has been “caught” , how many are not being caught, and what is that number and where are they from? Doesn’t really matter, its coming across by someone and that’s a problem we can all agree on and that’s what we should focus on not who’s right and wrong about who is bringing it over.

California sheriff was asked about the rise of crime after legalization of cannabis his response was “crime hasn’t increased, the reporting of crime has increased cause now people aren’t afraid to get caught with cannabis so they report what’s happening”. If you’re against legalization you see that data and run with “crime increases with legalization”. I really hope a majority of you guys, Dem or Rep aren’t Clemson alumni because y’all are ignorant as hell and have wasted a shit load of money on “education”

Just keep in mind the data doesn’t always reflect the “truth” it reflects what someone’s narrative is or what they want you to believe.

Reactions: TigerGrowls
I’m sure they use some. Those people account for a very small fraction of fentanyl getting to the US. So, pretending those US citizens that get arrested at the border represent how the majority of fentanyl got here and/or acting like those arrests at the border account for anything other than a small fraction of what’s actually here is - at best - laughably ignorant.
You pretend that these studies don't take that into account. You are presuming worse than you project. Link a study. Back up your opinion.

You pretend that these studies don't take that into account. You are presuming worse than you project. Link a study. Back up your opinion.
2022 saw 14,000 pounds of fentanyl seized at the southern border.

In 2022, the California national guard seized 28,000 pounds. They seized 64,000 in 2023 (significantly more than was seized at the border).

28,000>14,000. You also have a lot coming over the northern border and in along the east coast. And, a smaller percentage comes in by air from China and Europe.

Being a white ass I just spoke to a room full of black folks

First I trust what people in communities say NOT what Trump says

Your posts and statements go against what the real world is experiencing

Get out and talk to people and stop with the fake Chat gbt

Don’t believe what you conjure magically out of your deep thoughts means you are right

Just an observation
Ok citizen of the world. Please tell us about all your travels and worldly experiences that give you these perspectives. Surely it’s not limited to the small South Carolina town you live in and nothing else.

2022 saw 14,000 pounds of fentanyl seized at the southern border.

In 2022, the California national guard seized 28,000 pounds. They seized 64,000 in 2023 (significantly more than was seized at the border).

28,000>14,000. You also have a lot coming over the northern border and in along the east coast. And, a smaller percentage comes in by air from China and Europe.
This doesn't support your claim that illegals are crossing it. Infact it aligns with the other article stating that most are citizens muling it across. Your dubious claim that most aren't caught while you reference seizures.... cmon.

This doesn't support your claim that illegals are crossing it. Infact it aligns with the other article stating that most are citizens muling it across. Your dubious claim that most aren't caught while you reference seizures.... cmon.
Christ on a fvcking tricycle. I never claimed that. Your blinding stupidity and inability to read is responsible for that. I said the majority isn’t being brought by individuals or coming over the Mexican border at all. Feel free to quote where I said anything about illegals bringing it over the border….

Last edited:
Christ on a fvcking tricycle. I never claimed that. Your blinding stupidity and inability to read is responsible for that. I said the majority isn’t being brought by individuals or coming over the Mexican border at all. Feel free to quote where I said anything about illegals bringing it over the border….
Im sure they use some. Those people account for a very small fraction of fentanyl getting to the US. So, pretending those US citizens that get arrested at the border represent how the majority of fentanyl got here and/or acting like those arrests at the border account for anything other than a small fraction of what’s actually here is - at best - laughably ignorant.

Ur words ^^^^^ you failed to support them. Don't be upset.

Overlooked is the fact that the massive influx of illegals crossing the border, takes away resources that could be used at legal border crossings to catch the influx there. If we had more manpower and better technology at legal border crossings, we would catch much more than we do. Tet those resources are not available bc that $$$ has to be used to try and stop the millions of illegals crossing each year.
No matter how you look at it, it is all under Biden's watch and is a complete failure that is resulting in ten of thousands of deaths every year.

Overlooked is the fact that the massive influx of illegals crossing the border, takes away resources that could be used at legal border crossings to catch the influx there. If we had more manpower and better technology at legal border crossings, we would catch much more than we do. Tet those resources are not available bc that $$$ has to be used to try and stop the millions of illegals crossing each year.
No matter how you look at it, it is all under Biden's watch and is a complete failure that is resulting in ten of thousands of deaths every year.
Then ****ing pass legislation. The fact here is that the current situation is profitable to those in power. That's why nothing is done.

Reactions: dpic73
Ok citizen of the world. Please tell us about all your travels and worldly experiences that give you these perspectives. Surely it’s not limited to the small South Carolina town you live in and nothing else.

Sorry to disappoint you as I am only a backwoods country hick

I really have very little skills other than my farm raising where I recognize the smell and feel of fresh bullshit

Nothing like walking barefoot through the cattle lot

Then ****ing pass legislation. The fact here is that the current situation is profitable to those in power. That's why nothing is done.
The house passed a border security bill in May of last year. It died in the dem controlled senate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT