ADVERTISEMENT

Violent crime is down and dropping fast

PrimeIsGettingComfortable

Valles Marineris
Sep 5, 2023

Violent crime is dropping fast in the U.S. — even if Americans don't believe it​

FEBRUARY 12, 20245:01 AM ET
By
Karen Zamora
Ari Shapiro
Courtney Dorning
11-Minute Listen
gettyimages-1246453656_custom-9595c706303be2d525058ef44f3d9b696b829c2f-s1100-c50.jpg

What you see depends a lot on what you're looking at, according to one crime analyst.
Robyn Beck/AFP via Getty Images
In 2020, the United States experienced one of its most dangerous years in decades.
The number of murders across the country surged by nearly 30% between 2019 and 2020, according to FBI statistics. The overall violent crime rate, which includes murder, assault, robbery and rape, inched up around 5% in the same period.
But in 2023, crime in America looked very different.
"At some point in 2022 — at the end of 2022 or through 2023 — there was just a tipping point where violence started to fall and it just continued to fall," said Jeff Asher, a crime analyst and co-founder of AH Datalytics.
In cities big and small, from both coasts, violence has dropped.
Sponsor Message

"The national picture shows that murder is falling. We have data from over 200 cities showing a 12.2% decline ... in 2023 relative to 2022," Asher said, citing his own analysis of public data. He found instances of rape, robbery and aggravated assault were all down too.
Yet when you ask people about crime in the country, the perception is it's getting a lot worse.
A Gallup poll released in November found 77% of Americans believed there was more crime in the country than the year before. And 63% felt there was either a "very" or "extremely" serious crime problem — the highest in the poll's history going back to 2000.
So what's going on?

What the cities are seeing​

What you see depends a lot on what you're looking at, according to Asher.
"There's never been a news story that said, 'There were no robberies yesterday, nobody really shoplifted at Walgreens,'" he said.
"Especially with murder, there's no doubt that it is falling at [a] really fast pace right now. And the only way that I find to discuss it with people is to talk about what the data says."
There are some outliers to this trend — murder rates are up in Washington, D.C., Memphis and Seattle, for example — and some nonviolent crimes like car theft are up in certain cities. But the national trend on violence is clear.
4 key takeaways from the FBI's annual crime report

NATIONAL

NPR spoke to three local reporters — from Baltimore, San Francisco and Minneapolis — to better understand what is happening in their communities.
"We've seen two years now of crime incrementally going down, which I think is enough to say there's a positive trend there," said Andy Mannix, a crime and policing reporter for the Star Tribune in Minneapolis.
Rachel Swan, a breaking news and enterprise reporter for the San Francisco Chronicle, says there are "two really visible crises" in the downtown area: homelessness and open-air drug use.
Sponsor Message

"And honestly, people conflate that with crime, with street safety," she said. "One thing I'm starting to learn in reporting on public safety is that you can put numbers in front of people all day, and numbers just don't speak to people the way narrative does."
gettyimages-1239140180_custom-6fdd4747cd5d9c5634a41094c076bd8612b0437f-s1100-c50.jpg

The perception of crime doesn't always match the reality.
Kena Netancur/AFP via Getty Images
In Baltimore — a city that's battled a perception of being dangerous — it's a similar story.
Lee Sanderlin is an enterprise reporter with The Baltimore Banner and says there are pockets of violent crime — but that's not the case for the entire city.
"That's a battle that the city's leaders have had to fight with certain media outlets, with residents," Sanderlin said. "People who don't live in Baltimore, who live out in Baltimore County or neighboring counties, they certainly have a perception."

Unraveling the reasons​

Asher, the crime analyst, says there is no one reason why violent crime is going down.
"It's a really hard question to answer, and I always caveat my answer with [saying that] criminologists still aren't sure why violent crime went down in the '90s," he said. "We can kind of point to what some of the ingredients probably are even if we can't take the cake and tell you what the exact recipe is."
For cities like San Francisco, Baltimore and Minneapolis, there may be different factors at play. And in some instances, it comes as the number of police officers declines too.
Stories about crime are rife with misinformation and racism, critics say

NATIONAL

Baltimore police are chronically short of their recruitment goal, and as of last September had more than 750 vacant positions, according to a state audit report.
"Our new police commissioner has been pretty open about the fact ... that while they want to hire more officers, they have to do the job with the people they have," Sanderlin said.
In Minneapolis, police staffing has plummeted. According to the Star Tribune, there are about 560 active officers — down from nearly 900 in 2019. Mannix said the 2020 police killing of George Floyd resulted in an unprecedented exodus from the department.
Sponsor Message

He said that the juxtaposition of crime going down at the same time as police numbers dropped was "very confusing to a lot of people."
"The reality is there's a lot of things that factor into crime," he said. "It's not just how many police there are. That's definitely one variable."
In Minneapolis, the city is putting more financial resources into nontraditional policing initiatives. The Department of Neighborhood Safety, which addresses violence through a public health lens, received $22 million in the 2024 budget.
For years, the FBI quietly stopped tracking anti-Arab violence and hate crimes

NATIONAL

In San Francisco, police there say they've been better at making arrests.
Meanwhile, Sanderlin said Baltimore voted for a new prosecutor who vowed to be tough on crime; the police say they are targeting violent hotspots; and the mayor's office is connecting would-be offenders with housing assistance and employment.
"Put all of that in the blender with a generally better economy, more people are sort of getting back to a pre-pandemic way of life, and that probably has something to do with it," Sanderlin said.
But changing the view of crime is about playing the long game, he added.
"Crime affects people very personally. The only way to get people to change their perceptions on a macro scale is for progress to continue."

America, You Are No Longer Safe In Joe Biden’s America

Names Of Victims “Allegedly” Killed By Illegal Immigrants 🚨

“And the pathetic part is the federal government doesn't even, take a look at your screen, doesn't even keep track of all the crimes that are committed by illegal immigrants? Why don't they keep track of that?

Import The 3rd World, Become The 3rd World

Violent crime is dropping fast in the U.S. — even if Americans don't believe it​

By
Karen Zamora
Ari Shapiro
Courtney Dorning
11-Minute Listen
gettyimages-1246453656_custom-9595c706303be2d525058ef44f3d9b696b829c2f-s1100-c50.jpg

What you see depends a lot on what you're looking at, according to one crime analyst.
In 2020, the United States experienced one of its most dangerous years in decades.
The number of murders across the country surged by nearly 30% between 2019 and 2020, according to FBI statistics. The overall violent crime rate, which includes murder, assault, robbery and rape, inched up around 5% in the same period.
"At some point in 2022 — at the end of 2022 or through 2023 — there was just a tipping point where violence started to fall and it just continued to fall," said Jeff Asher, a crime analyst and co-founder of AH Datalytics.
Sponsor Message

"The national picture shows that murder is falling. We have data from over 200 cities showing a 12.2% decline ... in 2023 relative to 2022," Asher said, citing his own analysis of public data. He found instances of rape, robbery and aggravated assault were all down too.
Yet when you ask people about crime in the country, the perception is it's getting a lot worse.
A Gallup poll released in November found 77% of Americans believed there was more crime in the country than the year before. And 63% felt there was either a "very" or "extremely" serious crime problem — the highest in the poll's history going back to 2000.
So what's going on?

"There's never been a news story that said, 'There were no robberies yesterday, nobody really shoplifted at Walgreens,'" he said.
"Especially with murder, there's no doubt that it is falling at [a] really fast pace right now. And the only way that I find to discuss it with people is to talk about what the data says."
There are some outliers to this trend — murder rates are up in Washington, D.C., Memphis and Seattle, for example — and some nonviolent crimes like car theft are up in certain cities. But the national trend on violence is clear.
4 key takeaways from the FBI's annual crime report's annual crime report

NATIONAL

NPR spoke to three local reporters — from Baltimore, San Francisco and Minneapolis — to better understand what is happening in their communities.
"We've seen two years now of crime incrementally going down, which I think is enough to say there's a positive trend there," said Andy Mannix, a crime and policing reporter for the Star Tribune in Minneapolis.
Rachel Swan, a breaking news and enterprise reporter for the San Francisco Chronicle, says there are "two really visible crises" in the downtown area: homelessness and open-air drug use.
Sponsor Message

"And honestly, people conflate that with crime, with street safety," she said. "One thing I'm starting to learn in reporting on public safety is that you can put numbers in front of people all day, and numbers just don't speak to people the way narrative does."
gettyimages-1239140180_custom-6fdd4747cd5d9c5634a41094c076bd8612b0437f-s1100-c50.jpg

In Baltimore — a city that's battled a perception of being dangerous — it's a similar story.
Lee Sanderlin is an enterprise reporter with The Baltimore Banner and says there are pockets of violent crime — but that's not the case for the entire city.
"That's a battle that the city's leaders have had to fight with certain media outlets, with residents," Sanderlin said. "People who don't live in Baltimore, who live out in Baltimore County or neighboring counties, they certainly have a perception."

Unraveling the reasons​

Asher, the crime analyst, says there is no one reason why violent crime is going down.
"It's a really hard question to answer, and I always caveat my answer with [saying that] criminologists still aren't sure why violent crime went down in the '90s," he said. "We can kind of point to what some of the ingredients probably are even if we can't take the cake and tell you what the exact recipe is."
For cities like San Francisco, Baltimore and Minneapolis, there may be different factors at play. And in some instances, it comes as the number of police officers declines too.

NATIONAL

Baltimore police are chronically short of their recruitment goal, and as of last September had more than 750 vacant positions, according to a state audit report.
"Our new police commissioner has been pretty open about the fact ... that while they want to hire more officers, they have to do the job with the people they have," Sanderlin said.
In Minneapolis, police staffing has plummeted. According to the Star Tribune, there are about 560 active officers — down from nearly 900 in 2019. Mannix said the 2020 police killing of George Floyd resulted in an unprecedented exodus from the department.
Sponsor Message

He said that the juxtaposition of crime going down at the same time as police numbers dropped was "very confusing to a lot of people."
"The reality is there's a lot of things that factor into crime," he said. "It's not just how many police there are. That's definitely one variable."
In Minneapolis, the city is putting more financial resources into nontraditional policing initiatives. The Department of Neighborhood Safety, which addresses violence through a public health lens, received $22 million in the 2024 budget.

NATIONAL

Meanwhile, Sanderlin said Baltimore voted for a new prosecutor who vowed to be tough on crime; the police say they are targeting violent hotspots; and the mayor's office is connecting would-be offenders with housing assistance and employment.
"Put all of that in the blender with a generally better economy, more people are sort of getting back to a pre-pandemic way of life, and that probably has something to do with it," Sanderlin said.
"Crime affects people very personally. The only way to get people to change their perceptions on a macro scale is for progress to continue."
My guess, this is Chinese/Soros propaganda.

An innocent young American girl is killed by an illegal alien, and all you seem to continue doing in the wake is trying to convince everyone everything is ok.

Sad
You are disgusting. Trying to politicize this young girl’s death?

There is a false narrative going around and the data clearly refutes it. But as we have seen in other threads, we can present you with all the facts you like, you are still going to push your agenda regardless of how dishonest it is.

You are disgusting. Trying to politicize this young girl’s death?

There is a false narrative going around and the data clearly refutes it. But as we have seen in other threads, we can present you with all the facts you like, you are still going to push your agenda regardless of how dishonest it is.

I think U are disgusting minimizing the runaway violence and crime in America

Just like The number 1 cause of death for children under 5 is guns but hey, open carry and no permit is a great idea.

What are the demographics of the children suffering such a horrible statistic? I’m wondering if it matches the demographic percentage of those committing violent crimes. If so, it’s not really an open carry issue, but rather a cultural one.

I dont think this is coming from studios. Its real and very disturbing.

What are the demographics of the children suffering such a horrible statistic? I’m wondering if it matches the demographic percentage of those committing violent crimes. If so, it’s not really an open carry issue, but rather a cultural one.
I don’t know but correlation does not equal causation. The data supports that crime is linked to poverty. There just happen to be many more poor Black communities than white. I assume that is where you were going with your comment.

Reactions: WapPride
I don’t know but correlation does not equal causation. The data supports that crime is linked to poverty. There just happen to be many more poor Black communities than white. I assume that is where you were going with your comment.
I've never understood the "cultural" argument. It's such a lazy and surface level view of the problems. Pretty much every data point out there suggests that poverty is the leading cause of crime.

Do not confuse them with facts

I've never understood the "cultural" argument. It's such a lazy and surface level view of the problems. Pretty much every data point out there suggests that poverty is the leading cause of crime.

I don't agree that it's lazy. Here's a WSJ article talking about fatherlessness and likelihood of criminal activity for the children. And AA kids are exponentially more likely than white kids to live with a single mother. See stats here - 46.3% vs. 13.4%. How is that not a cultural problem?

The article goes on to say this about poverty: “If you finish high school, get a job, and get married before having children, you have a 98% chance of not being in poverty.”

I don't agree that it's lazy. Here's a WSJ article talking about fatherlessness and likelihood of criminal activity for the children. And AA kids are exponentially more likely than white kids to live with a single mother. See stats here - 46.3% vs. 13.4%. How is that not a cultural problem?

The article goes on to say this about poverty: “If you finish high school, get a job, and get married before having children, you have a 98% chance of not being in poverty.”
Because it's surface level analysis. Your argument essentially boils down to black people are more inherently prone to crime due to their culture, while completely disregarding the decades (centuries are more apropos) of policies enacted in the US that have acted as an anchor on AA families. Read some of the articles below, it paints a pretty interesting picture about what are some CATALYSTS of the prevalence of single parent homes in AA communities.

AA are also exponentially more likely to get prison time (and longer sentences) for actions that their white counterparts wouldn't.**
AA are 7x more likely to be wrongfully convicted of a crime than their white counterparts.*

*https://www.law.umich.edu/special/exoneration/Documents/Race Report Preview.pdf
**https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...act-same-crime-as-a-white-person-study-finds/
***https://theintercept.com/2018/02/05/mass-incarceration-class-predictor-race/

Because it's surface level analysis. Your argument essentially boils down to black people are more inherently prone to crime due to their culture, while completely disregarding the decades (centuries are more apropos) of policies enacted in the US that have acted as an anchor on AA families. Read some of the articles below, it paints a pretty interesting picture about what are some CATALYSTS of the prevalence of single parent homes in AA communities.

AA are also exponentially more likely to get prison time (and longer sentences) for actions that their white counterparts wouldn't.**
AA are 7x more likely to be wrongfully convicted of a crime than their white counterparts.*

*https://www.law.umich.edu/special/exoneration/Documents/Race Report Preview.pdf
**https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...act-same-crime-as-a-white-person-study-finds/
***https://theintercept.com/2018/02/05/mass-incarceration-class-predictor-race/
AA are also the benefit of affirmative action and D.E.I. policies and we still haven't seen any change in statistics.

The cultural part can't be ignored, it is a problem. Poverty is also part of the problem.

Education is a problem. Our schools are involved in teaching the oppressed vs oppressor models which is garbage poison and is probably linked to cultural problems.

AA are also the benefit of affirmative action and D.E.I. policies and we still haven't seen any change in statistics.

The cultural part can't be ignored, it is a problem. Poverty is also part of the problem.

Education is a problem. Our schools are involved in teaching the oppressed vs oppressor models which is garbage poison and is probably linked to cultural problems.
You're expecting immediate results on something that counters ~300+ years of subjugation and discrimination in the US? Shit, it wasn't until around 1970 that redlining was even made illegal in the US, and you're expecting everything to be immediately reversed in ~50 years of policy?

Giving you a like because the “cultural” argument is absolutely a surface level view point, but so is “poverty”.

You are the perfect example why Trump although not my first choice is only my available choice as you are clearly Anti American

Go back to your communist self and leave America alone
I’m good. Have no need to bow down to your orange dictator. I like people who care about this country, not those who want to strip away freedoms and the will of the people.

The war on drugs is mainly responsible for single parent families. Given how much more severe sentences were for crack vs cocaine (prior to the Fair Sentencing Act it was 100x as severe), and that crack was disproportionately a low-income drug, that created many single parent families.

You're expecting immediate results on something that counters ~300+ years of subjugation and discrimination in the US? Shit, it wasn't until around 1970 that redlining was even made illegal in the US, and you're expecting everything to be immediately reversed in ~50 years of policy?
Fair point.

It would be nice to see progress. And to be honest I don't know if there has been progress or not, but it doesn't seem like it. That may depend on who's perspective you are coming from i suppose.

Fair enough but considering more cocaine is consumed in the burbs and wealthy communities than crack is in impoverished areas, then maybe it’s not just a drug issue. Policies clearly aren’t affecting cocaine users like they are crack users.

The crack epidemic was in the 80s and early 90s. Are more severe punishments for crack really the primary driver of fatherless homes in 2024?

The crack epidemic was in the 80s and early 90s. Are more severe punishments for crack really the primary driver of fatherless homes in 2024?
Yes because up until 2010, those punishments were still in effect. I’ll add that many of those statistics are not complete. This book below highlights the misconceptions of the absentee Black father.

Some notable facts -
Meanwhile, among fathers who live with their children, black dads are in many ways the most involved in their kids' lives. "Black fathers (70 percent) were most likely to have bathed, dressed, diapered, or helped their children use the toilet every day compared with white (60 percent) and Hispanic fathers (45 percent)," the CDC study found. Also, more black fathers than white fathers took their children to or from activities every day and helped their kids with homework every day.

Millions of kids live with their fathers half the time, or at least part of the time, through joint custody arrangements. But children generally have one legal address, which is particularly important for purposes of determining school districts. Most often, the legal address is the mother's. This is a major reason that fatherlessness statistics in general are overblown. Fathers' homes all too often are not counted officially as being "homes with children." (Also, some unmarried couples live together, making the marriage statistics even more misleading.)

Last edited:
Reactions: firegiver

Scotch Tiger

I have been out publicly stating in meetings, news articles and such in Lower SC that racism in America is a minor problem as well as White Nationalism which is almost zero as a problem

The number One problem across America is the literacy rate in the US is on third world country standards along with unwed mothers and the huge amount of single family non nuclear families who are totally in distress

The cities are a huge mess due to overfunding loser plans developed by Democratic planners

The crime rates of black on black crime is at levels never imagined

Defund the police has made life in many areas a hell on earth for black families

I talk to many black folks and they are scared to death at what they see and many are talking about voting Trump as they say they will not survive 4 more years of Biden

Just watching and listening

The election is going to be interesting

Reactions: fatpiggy
Scotch Tiger

I have been out publicly stating in meetings, news articles and such in Lower SC that racism in America is a minor problem as well as White Nationalism which is almost zero as a problem

The number One problem across America is the literacy rate in the US is on third world country standards along with unwed mothers and the huge amount of single family non nuclear families who are totally in distress

The cities are a huge mess due to overfunding loser plans developed by Democratic planners

The crime rates of black on black crime is at levels never imagined

Defund the police has made life in many areas a hell on earth for black families

I talk to many black folks and they are scared to death at what they see and many are talking about voting Trump as they say they will not survive 4 more years of Biden

Just watching and listening

The election is going to be interesting
I find your posts amusing because you just spew false narratives that at best are supported by your anecdotal evidence.

And you are the one claiming we have a literacy problem?!?!? PURE COMEDY!!!!

By
Karen Zamora
Ari Shapiro
Courtney Dorning
11-Minute Listen

Sponsor Message

So what's going on?

4 key takeaways from the FBI's annual crime report's annual crime report

NATIONAL

Sponsor Message

Unraveling the reasons​

NATIONAL

Sponsor Message

NATIONAL

Glad to see the increase in legal gun ownership over the last few years has put a dent in crime!

Reactions: fatpiggy
The war on drugs is mainly responsible for single parent families. Given how much more severe sentences were for crack vs cocaine (prior to the Fair Sentencing Act it was 100x as severe), and that crack was disproportionately a low-income drug, that created many single parent families.
Two things.

One, I would like to see the percentage of AA males who were married to their child's mother at the time of incarceration to support this opinion. What is that percentage?

Two, based on conversations with multiple AA females, a major reason there are so many single parent homes in the AA community is a lack of decent father/husband candidates - IE the current pool has a low percentage of them. Thus, AA women who want children become pregnant from/by males that are not suitable parents or spouses. Obviously this can only be applied directly to my local area in SC, since this is where the AA women are from, but I suspect this carries over to other geographical regions as well.

Reactions: AugTig
Is it that, or is it the fact that 72% of black babies are born out of wedlock/to unmarried mothers?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT