ADVERTISEMENT

From Franklin Graham on Dabo / Article from P&C Also

The standard that a person in a position of authority over young people should not be attempting to guide those people to a specific religious faith, regardless of what that religion is, particularly when he is a state employee.
So do you think a professor or k-12 teacher who says he/she does not believe in God or believes in a different religion should be admonished(as a state employee)?

So do you think a professor or k-12 teacher who says he/she does not believe in God or believes in a different religion should be admonished(as a state employee)?
I can’t think of any reason a public school teacher or professor should be discussing their personal religious beliefs with students and attempting to steer them one way or another. Exception I suppose would be a religion class, but even then the professor shouldn’t be attempting to push students towards a certain belief, but rather presenting historical records/facts/philosophies/doctrines etc.

as a secularist It doesn't bother me at all that Dabo wants to talk about his faith, or for that matter that anyone wants to. What bothers me is acting like a victim because you know a secularist isn't buying the whole package you are selling.
That said, Dabo is a genuine person. He isn't faking a thing. Franklin Graham though ... yah i don't really dig a lot of what that guy says.

What exactly is a sincere Christian “selling?”

The oppression of Christians in this country is akin to boogeyman you fear as a kid. Dabo gets blowback for being successful. There are tons of coaches that are average on the field of the same mindset who don’t. Baptizing players in hot tubs was the only time I really cringed.

Everyone needs to remember every time db the dork does one of his My Thoughts segments, just ignore it.

He has a right to express his thoughts/beliefs... and the day will come when an opportunity to be in tune with God will present itself. That’s between him, and God.

I honestly take much more joy in seeing others discover that for themselves, than hanging around like minded believers, 100% of the time.

UOTE="iceheart08, post: 3911066, member: 3640"]Must be so hard out there for white male Christians.[/QUOTE]
I want to click ignore, but your posts always remind me
Must be so hard out there for white male Christians.
tenor.gif

I can’t think of any reason a public school teacher or professor should be discussing their personal religious beliefs with students and attempting to steer them one way or another. Exception I suppose would be a religion class, but even then the professor shouldn’t be attempting to push students towards a certain belief, but rather presenting historical records/facts/philosophies/doctrines etc.
Maybe they don’t want the people around them to go to Hell

He has a right to express his thoughts/beliefs... and the day will come when an opportunity to be in tune with God will present itself. That’s between him, and God.

I honestly take much more joy in seeing others discover that for themselves, than hanging around like minded believers, 100% of the time.
Yeah you’re right. One day he’ll have to bow and confess before the throne. If he doesn’t change, he’d had wished he would’ve listened to Our Thoughts.

I don't care one iota about Dabo's religious beliefs. I like that he cares for his players, teachers them to be good men, and wins games. If his faith helps with that, fantastic.

High school recruits can choose any coach they have an offer from. They can transfer, now increasingly without penalty. Unless a coach is tying playing time or benefits to religious beliefs, I just don't get the issue.

This is college. There are no truancy laws. This is not a captive audience.

Would CDS welcome a non-christian athlete on the team? Say a muslim student - athlete? I really don't know? Would he? If so, I don't see any problem with him talking about his faith and what it has done for his life. But if he turned down a student athlete because he is non-christian solely, I think that is a step too far. I would love to hear from Larry if he thinks Dabo would welcome say a muslim on the team. I have always wondered that.

Would CDS welcome a non-christian athlete on the team? Say a muslim student - athlete? I really don't know? Would he? If so, I don't see any problem with him talking about his faith and what it has done for his life. But if he turned down a student athlete because he is non-christian solely, I think that is a step too far. I would love to hear from Larry if he thinks Dabo would welcome say a muslim on the team. I have always wondered that.

I’d bet millions Dabo would let him join the team, 365 days of the year.

Would your standard also discourage a non-religious professor from trying to proselytize students away from their religious beliefs and toward his/her own?

This is an illogical question. Because non-believers don't buy what you're selling doesn't mean we have an alternate system of belief. Trusting in what science can prove and being satisfied with the answer, "We don't know" for the rest is light years from you asking me to believe all the answers are in one dusty, self-contradictory book.

Never has there been a better time to dredge up old Epicurus from third century BCE in Greece:

1. Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
  2. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
  3. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
  4. Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
Despite at a minimum tens of millions of prayers, it will be science that gets us out of this mess- assuming we do get out.

Dam, the Verizon salesmen from Texas getting destroyed in this thread. Couldn’t happen to a nicer atheist!
LOL at @dbjork6317

Reactions: 1983Grad
This is an illogical question. Because non-believers don't buy what you're selling doesn't mean we have an alternate system of belief. Trusting in what science can prove and being satisfied with the answer, "We don't know" for the rest is light years from you asking me to believe all the answers are in one dusty, self-contradictory book.

Never has there been a better time to dredge up old Epicurus from third century BCE in Greece:

Despite at a minimum tens of millions of prayers, it will be science that gets us out of this mess- assuming we do get out.

Interesting questions that you pose. I think they miss the mark, because they all ask with a central premise.

That being, that God’s sole existence and desire is to prevent evil (bad things) from happening in the world. It makes humanity the central design of God’s purpose and focus, the reason for His very existence. If you task God with the ultimate goal of preventing all evil in the world and because there is evil, then i can see why you would say by default He isn’t God. Maybe that is not his ultimate goal.

Who gets to decide for what purpose God exists?

Let’s assume for a minute (I do) that God exists but for his own purposes and for his how Glory. Let’s assume he does not exist for the purpose of making life “good” for humans or preventing evil from taking place or any other notion that you or i may come up with.

If you view humanity as just a creation, one of many and the creator has a different design and purpose for his creation, maybe one you can’t even truly comprehend. If you suppose all that, maybe those questions don’t make sense to even ask anymore.

Let’s further suppose we don’t think like He thinks and we don’t view life and the things we desire to obtain from it the way He does. Again, then those specific questions don’t get to be the end all be all of declaring his existence or not. I am not suggesting that Evil doesn’t exist in the world or that it is not bad the way we understand it to be.

I am suggesting that the Potter doesn’t have to give an account to the clay on what purpose he has for it and what it may endure to hold. Maybe the jar holds wine, maybe water and a flower or maybe it holds poison, or even nothing. The Jar doesn't get to decide if it was made for a noble or common purpose or if the potter even exists because of the manner in which the potter chooses to use the jar.

Some great preaching ITT! I love Dabo and how he’s not afraid to glorify God every chance he can!! I wish there were more in the sports world like him, who would use their platform to reach this lost and dying world. We all have a responsibility to reach people for the kingdom of God, to share the life changing message of Jesus Christ and to love all people, regardless of skin color, background or lifestyle! The only hope we all have is Jesus!!

God is the only one we know that won’t lie to us!!!
But so many that purport to be speaking for God do. Or they twist the words of a book written thousands of years ago in another language and translated countless times to fit their narrative and/or agenda.

Reactions: cyclotiger
Secularists and those on the left don’t want you to mention Jesus Christ, whether you’re a football coach like Dabo Swinney or you serve in Congress or you bake cakes in your hometown. They don’t want you to express your Christian faith.
This has been disproven ITT.

For the record if Jesus came back tomorrow, based on the life he lived, he would be a "liberal." There is no law or rule that says you cannot be both liberal and Christian. And I am growing real weary of that attitude. Right wing conservatives do not have a free ticket to heaven.

Last edited:
as a secularist It doesn't bother me at all that Dabo wants to talk about his faith, or for that matter that anyone wants to. What bothers me is acting like a victim because you know a secularist isn't buying the whole package you are selling.
That said, Dabo is a genuine person. He isn't faking a thing. Franklin Graham though ... yah i don't really dig a lot of what that guy says.
I have relatives that live around the corner in Black Mountain from Billy's house. Many of the neighbors and family friends view Franklin as a crook. Just living off Dad;s fame, fortune, and respected character for his own gain.

Reactions: cyclotiger
Amen I agree 100%. From Franklin Graham below

Secularists and those on the left don’t want you to mention Jesus Christ, whether you’re a football coach like Dabo Swinney or you serve in Congress or you bake cakes in your hometown. They don’t want you to express your Christian faith. Coach Swinney is right—he said, “So many people, today, they are afraid of criticism. They are afraid of not being politically correct, or whatever it may be. There’s a lot of hostility toward Christianity today.” Swinney said. “I always tell people, the hope of the world, it’s not in politics, it’s not in a new President, it’s not in a stimulus package. It’s not in anything. The hope of the world is Jesus.” Amen Dabo. Thank you for your bold stand and for having guts for Jesus!

https://www.postandcourier.com/spor...cle_c7eb4d7e-8fc8-11ea-a50a-f789809c2d55.html

Clemson’s Dabo rebukes critics: ‘They want me to just shut that off and not be a Christian’

5da21f342aee0.image.jpg

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney was a special guest on Wednesday evening’s FCA video call. File/Gwinn Davis/Special to The Post and Courier

CLEMSON — Coach Dabo Swinney on Wednesday night pushed back against critics who question the role Christianity plays in the Clemson football program.

In April 2014 the Freedom from Religion group filed a complaint to Clemson, claiming Swinney and his staff had engaged in “unconstitutional behavior” for not creating a clear separation between church and state at the public university.

“I always tell everybody, my job is not to save ’em. My job is to win football games,” Swinney said during an FCA video call Wednesday. “I’ve come under fire many times from different organizations and things like that because of my faith. They want me to just shut that off and not be a Christian.

“But God says in Ecclesiastes 3:23, whatever you do, you do it with all your heart as if you’re working for the Lord.”

Swinney was joined on the video call by his wife, Kathleen. The HUDDLE UP! conference was hosted by former NFL tight end Benjamin Watson and his wife, Kirsten. Hall of Fame coach Tony Dungy also participated in the call, which was streamed live on YouTube.

Swinney started at Clemson in 2003 as wide receivers coach, before taking over as head coach in 2008. His predecessor, Tommy Bowden, was also open about his faith and attracted similar criticism.

On Wednesday, Swinney pushed back on “myths” about him, including that he requires players to attend church on a mandatory basis. But he did say he feels responsible to serve the “hearts and souls” of his players.

“If I get a young man that comes to Clemson and he’s strong in his faith, and he leaves Clemson and I didn’t help him grow stronger, shame on me,” he said. “If I get a young man that comes to Clemson, and he doesn’t know anything, or he’s searching, and I don’t cultivate that. ... Shame on me.

Swinney noted he tries to be transparent during the recruiting process so as to establish connections with players and their families. In December, 13 Clemson players told The Post and Courier that Swinney’s public displays of faith played a significant role in their college decision.

CLEMSON
How Dabo Swinney’s Christian evangelism boosts Clemson recruiting

Swinney also said it’s important for him to be “bold.”

“So many people, today, they are afraid of criticism. They are afraid of not being politically correct, or whatever it may be. There’s a lot of hostility toward Christianity today,” Swinney said. “I always tell people, the hope of the world, it’s not in politics, it’s not in a new President, it’s not in a stimulus package. It’s not in anything.

“The hope of the world is Jesus.”

May God bless Dabo Swinney! Great coach and even greater Christian!

For the record if Jesus came back tomorrow, based on the life he lived, he would be a "liberal." There is no law or rule that says you cannot be both liberal and Christian. And I am growing real weary of that attitude. Right wing conservatives do not have a free ticket to heaven.
Yes I take offense to the stereotyping of those on the left by Graham when he said "those on the left don’t want you to mention Jesus Christ, whether you’re a football coach like Dabo Swinney or you serve in Congress or you bake cakes in your hometown. They don’t want you to express your Christian faith."

Perhaps he should say that to my daughter and son-in-law who are Christian missionaries in Germany who are very much Democrats in their political beliefs.

Dwayne Allen. Wasn’t Muslim but wasn’t Christian either

This thread is a perfect microcosm of what is wrong with our country, tbh. Represented in this thread:

-militant atheists who seem to think they have a constitutionally guaranteed right to seeing no religion in the public sphere. Grow a pair.
-"Christians" who are so upset at said atheists that they call them fatasses and tell them they're reprehensible or that they "fvck around." I am sure Jesus is just LOVING your defense of him.
-Same Christians demonstrate paper-thin skin re: their faiths while calling out "snowflake" liberals routinely. I love irony. Pro-tip-- you can't point out others' fragility when you're Charmin soft.
-the needless politicization of a topic so we can all by God figure out which camp we're "supposed" to be in. Liberals here, conservatives here. Never, ever should we be liberal on some issues and conservative on others. Ideological purity, baby.

This isn't complicated. This is higher education. There are no truancy laws. These aren't children. These players are all legal adults. If Dabo's faith or practice thereof is offensive, these players can go somewhere else. They could complain. They could talk to Dabo. I feel pretty darn confident that Dabo would gladly accept an atheist or Muslim onto the team if they were a Clemson fit in terms of character and values. But this is college football in the United States-- not a whole lot of five star atheist recruits around these parts. So the issue doesn't really come up.

TLDR: This thread is a perfect example of why our country is f*cked.

Reactions: bouchim

This is interesting. You begin this post implying you don't have an alternate set of beliefs, but then you spend the rest of the post telling us what you believe.

Last edited:
This thread is a perfect microcosm of what is wrong with our country, tbh. Represented in this thread:

-militant atheists who seem to think they have a constitutionally guaranteed right to seeing no religion in the public sphere. Grow a pair.
-"Christians" who are so upset at said atheists that they call them fatasses and tell them they're reprehensible or that they "fvck around." I am sure Jesus is just LOVING your defense of him.
-Same Christians demonstrate paper-thin skin re: their faiths while calling out "snowflake" liberals routinely. I love irony. Pro-tip-- you can't point out others' fragility when you're Charmin soft.
-the needless politicization of a topic so we can all by God figure out which camp we're "supposed" to be in. Liberals here, conservatives here. Never, ever should we be liberal on some issues and conservative on others. Ideological purity, baby.

This isn't complicated. This is higher education. There are no truancy laws. These aren't children. These players are all legal adults. If Dabo's faith or practice thereof is offensive, these players can go somewhere else. They could complain. They could talk to Dabo. I feel pretty darn confident that Dabo would gladly accept an atheist or Muslim onto the team if they were a Clemson fit in terms of character and values. But this is college football in the United States-- not a whole lot of five star atheist recruits around these parts. So the issue doesn't really come up.

TLDR: This thread is a perfect example of why our country is f*cked.
I get a lot of what you’re saying about the tribalism in America, and surely that’s an issue.

But I happen to look at these threads differently. I think this is what’s great about America. The fact that we can come on here and express our religious beliefs (or non-beliefs) and not even have to think for one second about government persecution is wonderful. That doesn’t happen everywhere in the world. Go to Saudi Arabia and say you’re an atheist and the next thing you know your head is getting separated from your body.

And I think, ok sure there’s always some sophomoric responses in these discussions, but it’s an issue many feel strongly about and some are better at expressing their thoughts than others.

But ultimately we’re all still here. We’ll all still have football discussions, we’ll all still celebrate together when Clemson wins or signs a big recruit, and we’ll all still sulk together when things don’t go our way.

I am, and I think most here are, capable of both strongly, vehemently disagreeing with a person while also respecting them as human beings and in many cases sharing a lot of the same values.

I get a lot of what you’re saying about the tribalism in America, and surely that’s an issue.

But I happen to look at these threads differently. I think this is what’s great about America. The fact that we can come on here and express our religious beliefs (or non-beliefs) and not even have to think for one second about government persecution is wonderful. That doesn’t happen everywhere in the world. Go to Saudi Arabia and say you’re an atheist and the next thing you know your head is getting separated from your body.

And I think, ok sure there’s always some sophomoric responses in these discussions, but it’s an issue many feel strongly about and some are better at expressing their thoughts than others.

But ultimately we’re all still here. We’ll all still have football discussions, we’ll all still celebrate together when Clemson wins or signs a big recruit, and we’ll all still sulk together when things don’t go our way.

I am, and I think most here are, capable of both strongly, vehemently disagreeing with a person while also respecting them as human beings and in many cases sharing a lot of the same values.
I agree with that. I'm the only one I have to answer to when I stand before the Lord. I'm not perfect at all but I try to live my life like Jesus did when he was on Earth. As Christians that is what we should do. No one will ever be perfect like He was that's what makes Him God. And arguing doesn't do any good but it's interesting and knowledgeable reading others post on different subjects. Have a great weekend.

How does Franklin Graham sell hate? Or is it him speaking truth and some hate truth?
Hes said some awful things about gay people and Muslims. He says those things to galvanize his audience by creating division and hate. He profits off of this

Hes said some awful things about gay people and Muslims. He says those things to galvanize his audience by creating division and hate. He profits off of this
No, he speaks the TRUTH that is found in God’s Word! He lives his life on the principles of that Word. God’s Word hasn’t changed regardless of what society says. He’s never said anything out of hate at all, it’s only considered hate because you disagree with it.

Reactions: 1983Grad
No, he speaks the TRUTH that is found in God’s Word! He lives his life on the principles of that Word. God’s Word hasn’t changed regardless of what society says. He’s never said anything out of hate at all, it’s only considered hate because you disagree with it.

Compare Franklin's message, tone, and demeanor to his dad's. That's all I'll say.

you think this is God's word? Do you think this said isn't said out of "hate"?

"The God of Islam is not the same God. He's not the son of God of the Christian or Judeo-Christian faith. It's a different God, and I believe it is a very evil and wicked religion."

nevermind his LONG history of being a bigot when it comes to LGBTQ+ folks.

if this is the TRUTH you want your faith leaders to speak, kindly GFY.

Last edited:
you think this is God's word? Do you think this said isn't said out of "hate"?

"The God of Islam is not the same God. He's not the son of God of the Christian or Judeo-Christian faith. It's a different God, and I believe it is a very evil and wicked religion."

nevermind his LONG history of being a bigton when it comes to LGBTQ+ folks.

if this is the TRUTH you want your faith leaders to speak, kindly GFY.
See, this ignorance is why I’ve come so close on sooooooo many times to putting you on ignore!! Can you have a discussion with someone you disagree with without making idiotic statements or cussing at them???

First of all Graham is correct, the God of Islam is NOT the same God of the Christian Faith, it’s a fact. The God of the Christian faith sent His only Son to die on the Cross to save you from your sins. Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”

Muslims accept that Jesus or Isa as they refer to him, was a servant, teacher, and lover of God’s Word, they do not believe that He was divine or the son of God.

Second, his stance on the LGBTQ community is founded on Judeo-Christian values and the Word of God...that’s a FACT! Genesis, Leviticus, Romans and 1 Corinthians all teach against homosexuality. Again, FACTS!

While I may not agree with the way Graham goes about it, he is and always has been Biblically correct, he just calls it out differently than other ministers do! The good news is, and by the way he preaches this as well, God will forgive, cleanse and renews the Muslim, the homosexual, the drunkard, the glutton, the liar, the adulterer, the murderer and the list goes on.

Now, don’t ever cuss at me again!

See, this ignorance is why I’ve come so close on sooooooo many times to putting you on ignore!! Can you have a discussion with someone you disagree with without making idiotic statements or cussing at them???

First of all Graham is correct, the God of Islam is NOT the same God of the Christian Faith, it’s a fact. The God of the Christian faith sent His only Son to die on the Cross to save you from your sins. Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”

Muslims accept that Jesus or Isa as they refer to him, was a servant, teacher, and lover of God’s Word, they do not believe that He was divine or the son of God.

Second, his stance on the LGBTQ community is founded on Judeo-Christian values and the Word of God...that’s a FACT! Genesis, Leviticus, Romans and 1 Corinthians all teach against homosexuality. Again, FACTS!

While I may not agree with the way Graham goes about it, he is and always has been Biblically correct, he just calls it out differently than other ministers do! The good news is, and by the way he preaches this as well, God will forgive, cleanse and renews the Muslim, the homosexual, the drunkard, the glutton, the liar, the adulterer, the murderer and the list goes on.

Now, don’t ever cuss at me again!

i have plenty of reasonable and rational debates with folks on here. sorry that you've missed out on my infinite wisdom. religious extremists (and that bolded quote that you so proudly typed proves you are one) are not exactly ripe for that kind of debate. so...

if you are so much of a snowflake that you 1, cant handle being "cuss"ed at, and 2, cant handle skipping my posts, maybe the internet isnt the place for you.

I should also note that I literally believe NONE of what you posted, its basically another language. Franklin graham and that belief system (other religions are wrong and evil and gay people are all sinners) is outdated, bigoted, and its believers can go **** themselves. to be clear.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT