ADVERTISEMENT

Full Steam Ahead in Dirty Myrtle

There is a happy medium between "keep everything shut down" and "take no precautions whatsoever". Maybe y'all could understand that maybe some precautions might still be warranted considering we are barreling towards 100,000 deaths nationally at a pretty steady pace.

Those people act like it's frickin' V/E Day. Calm yourselves. Nobody said everyone should stay locked inside forever. Nobody wants that.

--Mr. DT

Show me where anyone said that we should "take no precautions whatsoever." I can't find that ITT. You can go to the beach and still be taking precautions.

The amount of danger you're in is directly correlated to your IQ.

Yaknow I sort of understand folks who don't express much empathy with older people. I mean, most of us old folks can see and feel the sun going down on our lives. So if the choice was me or a 25 year old, I'd be ok with being the dearly departed.

But being down on folks with low IQ is really out of line. I mean, who'd be left to go to school in Columbia? Yes, it would improve TI a good bit, but it still seems unfair.

Then again and fwiw, I have thought those King James scholars made a mistake. I think maybe what Jesus said was, "The stupid will always be with us."

There is a happy medium between "keep everything shut down" and "take no precautions whatsoever". Maybe y'all could understand that maybe some precautions might still be warranted considering we are barreling towards 100,000 deaths nationally at a pretty steady pace.

Those people act like it's frickin' V/E Day. Calm yourselves. Nobody said everyone should stay locked inside forever. Nobody wants that.

--Mr. DT
If all you mention/discuss are those that are doing it wrong, it's very easy for those who are doing it right to interpret that as you wishing it was still closed. Human nature. If you brag on how well most are handling this (which I believe is true where I live), you don't get that reaction.

Not a shot at you, just an observation on the way these things have been talked about. I am in the "we have to get back to some normal" group. But I have been respectful as possible to those who are afraid. I hear plenty of chatter about the people who feel like me but are brazen, but I don't hear a lot about those of us who are being polite, even if we don't always agree.

Again, not a shot at anyone.

If all you mention/discuss are those that are doing it wrong, it's very easy for those who are doing it right to interpret that as you wishing it was still closed. Human nature. If you brag on how well most are handling this (which I believe is true where I live), you don't get that reaction.

Not a shot at you, just an observation on the way these things have been talked about. I am in the "we have to get back to some normal" group. But I have been respectful as possible to those who are afraid. I hear plenty of chatter about the people who feel like me but are brazen, but I don't hear a lot about those of us who are being polite, even if we don't always agree.

Yeah, I just wish "most" that were handling this well was more like 85-90%, but it seems to be more like 65%. At least up here in Ohio that's how it is. General rudeness and non-mask wearing and general overcrowding. I don't know why mask-wearing became semi-partisan, but I wish it hadn't.

--Mr. DT

I have people that I manage that are able to work from home. I think my company should not allow them to work from home anymore. They should come to work immediately. If cases spike before my company makes them come back to work, then it greatly effects business because they will continue to work from home. So, I am absolutely for opening back up. At the same time, to all the people not washing their hands and not wearing a mask so that they can take a stand and exercise their freedom.....well you are within your rights. Like the dude said....You're not wrong Walter, you're just an ashole.

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan
I am having a really hard time wrapping my mind around why people will not take simple, basic precautions without acting like they’re being oppressed.

If we continue to jump back into things in an extreme way, at the societal level, without taking the precautions, it is going to end badly.

And I am not even remotely suggesting everything stays shut down, the opposite in fact, but sensibly, not swimming in fierce water without gear.

Yeah, I just wish "most" that were handling this well was more like 85-90%, but it seems to be more like 65%. At least up here in Ohio that's how it is. General rudeness and non-mask wearing and general overcrowding. I don't know why mask-wearing became semi-partisan, but I wish it hadn't.

--Mr. DT
Do you consider anyone in public without a mask to be doing it wrong? If so, I’ve been doing it wrongin your mind. I don’t wear a mask, mainly because I don’t have any and I haven’t wanted to buy a bunch of disposable masks with healthcare people needing them.

But I also keep my distance from everyone. If somebody is where I need to be, I wait patiently. I’ve even had some assholes take advantage of that, but I didn’t show my ass. Just waited my turn.

As I understand it, it takes somewhat prolonged exposure to an infected person to get this thing. I am in and out and keep moving the whole time. I use distance. And I only have prolonged close contact with my family.

I feel I am doing what I need to do for myself and for others. For instance, if I was going to a football game to sit for three hours, I would be fine if I had to wear a mask (wouldn’t go to a game until October, but still). But for me to move throughout the world in my own little bubble, I don’t think the mask does anything.

It seems you disagree with that. But at the same time, I don’t feel I should be in your 35% of assholes. That is where the partisan stuff comes in imho, and I agree with you that is no good for anyone.

I am having a really hard time wrapping my mind around why people will not take simple, basic precautions without acting like they’re being oppressed.

If we continue to jump back into things in an extreme way, at the societal level, without taking the precautions, it is going to end badly.

This is where I am.

Do you consider anyone in public without a mask to be doing it wrong? If so, I’ve been doing it wrong. I don’t wear a mask, mainly because I don’t have any and I haven’t wanted to buy a bunch of disposable masks with healthcare people needing them.

But I also keep my distance from everyone. If somebody is where I need to be, I wait patiently.

As I understand it, it takes somewhat prolonged exposure to an infected person to get this thing. I am in and out and keep moving the whole time. I use distance. And I only have prolonged close contact with my family.

I feel I am doing what I need to do for myself and for others. For instance, if I was going to a football game to sit for three hours, I would be fine if I had to wear a mask (wouldn’t go to a game until October, but still).

It seems you disagree with that. But at the same time, I don’t feel I should be in your 35% of assholes. That is where the partisan stuff comes in imho, and I agree with you that is no good for anyone.

Not necessarily, it really depends on the situations you're in. It seems like you're being conscientious about it, and I appreciate that. I'm not really aiming to be the mask police or a narc, but I don't auto-label anyone without a mask an "asshole" either.

More around what I've seen in my neighborhood around parties and gatherings and to some extent mask wearing. I would say it's about 50% of folks not wearing masks, and I certainly am not labeling them all as "doing it wrong".

Reactions: shortbus22
These discussions are always interesting. I guess some people's brains are incapable of seeing anything other than black and white. There is an ocean of space for critical thinking between "everything shut down" and "normal".
Where does dancing in the middle of the street fit in?

This is how we roll in Myrtle. Straight class from A-Z!

Friend of mine who lives in MB said this past weekend was BlackBike week. The festival was moved to Labor Day but that didn’t seem to keep the crowd from coming anyhow.

My guess is Murder Beach kills more people than COVID19 in SC this year.

Not necessarily, it really depends on the situations you're in. It seems like you're being conscientious about it, and I appreciate that. I'm not really aiming to be the mask police or a narc, but I don't auto-label anyone without a mask an "asshole" either.

More around what I've seen in my neighborhood around parties and gatherings and to some extent mask wearing. I would say it's about 50% of folks not wearing masks, and I certainly am not labeling them all as "doing it wrong".
I think people not wearing masks are absolutely being selfish, lazy, and an asshole. I say this as a person that walked into a gas station yesterday without a mask on. I should have put one on. Hopefully it becomes more uncomfortable to do things without one. Kind of like walking into a gas station without a shirt on or something

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan
I think people not wearing masks are absolutely being selfish, lazy, and an asshole. I say this as a person that walked into a gas station yesterday without a mask on. I should have put one on. Hopefully it becomes more uncomfortable to do things without one. Kind of like walking into a gas station without a shirt on or something
It surprised me to look on the WHO website yesterday and they still state that healthy individuals do not need to wear a mask. They’ve been wrong about pretty much everything else about this so I don’t think I’ll follow their advice.

Potential killjoy here.......It will be telling and it might be a good story. If the beaches fill up with people and there is no spike in Covid deaths the story will be extremely positive and perhaps the end of the Covid panic. On the other hand if there is a spike in deaths in the beach communities or the communities the beach goers call home, that will be a bad story. I would guess it'll take 6-8 weeks to know which way it goes.

I agree and I 'salute' all of the "guinea pigs"....I hope there's no spike, because I'm tired of being isolated.

The sentiment of caution (though warranted in your case, as well as many others) has lost its influence with many, due to so many going overboard with projections/warnings/etc, for so many weeks.

This the guy who said in the beginning that was no worse than the flu. Two months later and 90000 american deaths, now you are claiming everyone was overboard on predictions. Who was overboard? the scientists or the idiots?

Reactions: Smiling_Tiger
I'm struggling to wrap my brain around there actually being a sudden notion like what you are describing for most. I was at the beach all weekend. At a couple separate restaurants. At the grocery store three times.

I didn't see anyone the was out of line or acting like it was "nothing". Some had masks. Some didn't. But everyone kept their distance and were more polite than normal.

Because some idiots in the Idiot Heaven of The South are out twerking in the streets doesn't mean this "sudden notion" exists iyam. And I am not attacking you btw, just pointing out where I think you are getting a little backlash here.

I agree. I was at the beach a few weeks ago and never ate out once or twerked.. lol Just normal grocery store and beach.

Do you consider anyone in public without a mask to be doing it wrong? If so, I’ve been doing it wrongin your mind. I don’t wear a mask, mainly because I don’t have any and I haven’t wanted to buy a bunch of disposable masks with healthcare people needing them.

But I also keep my distance from everyone. If somebody is where I need to be, I wait patiently. I’ve even had some assholes take advantage of that, but I didn’t show my ass. Just waited my turn.

I feel I am doing what I need to do for myself and for others. For instance, if I was going to a football game to sit for three hours, I would be fine if I had to wear a mask (wouldn’t go to a game until October, but still). But for me to move throughout the world in my own little bubble, I don’t think the mask does anything.

couldn't agree more with you in this thread. I don't wear masks either but I am not getting close to people in public settings. Just wash hands, have some common sense. Seems reasonable.

This the guy who said in the beginning that was no worse than the flu. Two months later and 90000 american deaths, now you are claiming everyone was overboard on predictions. Who was overboard? the scientists or the idiots?

Lol @ you thinking 90k in the US died from CV19.

Yeah I'm struggling to wrap my mind around the sudden notion that opening up means acting as if there's no danger at all.

I am not sure this weekend at Mytrle Beach is a good example of how careful people are trying to be. Thats JMO though.

Anyways, none of this matters. People are either going to go back out and choose to be in this or not. Completely up to them.

Reactions: zabeth
I'm struggling to wrap my brain around there actually being a sudden notion like what you are describing for most. I was at the beach all weekend. At a couple separate restaurants. At the grocery store three times.

I didn't see anyone the was out of line or acting like it was "nothing". Some had masks. Some didn't. But everyone kept their distance and were more polite than normal.

Because some idiots in the Idiot Heaven of The South are out twerking in the streets doesn't mean this "sudden notion" exists iyam. And I am not attacking you btw, just pointing out where I think you are getting a little backlash here.

I'm at Surfside and I can promise 90% of the people down on this end aren't taking precautions. From the beach to grocery stores and restaurants.

What I'm saying is that in the next 3 weeks we are going to find out if covid is going to make a legit 2nd wave..

Amen

Reactions: GMClemson33
I'm at Surfside and I can promise 90% of the people down on this end aren't taking precautions. From the beach to grocery stores and restaurants.

What I'm saying is that in the next 3 weeks we are going to find out if covid is going to make a legit 2nd wave..
What precautions are you talking about? Not wearing masks? On the Litchfield end, none of the groups were on top of each other on the beach. Nobody was loitering in the stores. Waitresses didn't even get real close to you at the restaurants we ate at.

I think the problem is that many are not educated. The virus needs sustained contact. You aren't gonna get it in passing. People freaking about the masks when you walk past someone in the aisle of the grocery store simply aren't paying attention to the facts iyam.

If they are on the bus or subway... totally different deal. All of those people should have masks iyam.

You're right... we will know fairly soon whether people freaking out about groups being on the beach are justified. From what I have read and experienced, those groups are doing what it takes to stay safe.

Disclaimer... I am not talking about 20-somethings that are still out bumping and grinding on folks. They are idiots.

Reactions: zabeth
No

Reactions: TheStupidChickens
Dr. Birx apparently disagrees with your take.

Birx also defended Trump's suggestion that people should inject lysol into their bodies to stop Covid. The irony that she wants people who died of covid without being tested when she was part of Trump's failure to get enough tests is rich.

Reactions: other1
With Deriers busted there’s nowhere for these kids to go. Lol!

What precautions are you talking about? Not wearing masks? On the Litchfield end, none of the groups were on top of each other on the beach. Nobody was loitering in the stores. Waitresses didn't even get real close to you at the restaurants we ate at.

I think the problem is that many are not educated. The virus needs sustained contact. You aren't gonna get it in passing. People freaking about the masks when you walk past someone in the aisle of the grocery store simply aren't paying attention to the facts iyam.

If they are on the bus or subway... totally different deal. All of those people should have masks iyam.

You're right... we will know fairly soon whether people freaking out about groups being on the beach are justified. From what I have read and experienced, those groups are doing what it takes to stay safe.

Disclaimer... I am not talking about 20-somethings that are still out bumping and grinding on folks. They are idiots.

I'm talking about the slammed bar at Dagwoods or I'm talking about the Walmart grocery store that had every register open and still had lines..

I'm talking about the beach at high tide that were maybe 3 feet apart.

I'm talking about the 250 people waiting in line to get into a cold pool at Ocean Lakes..

It's honestly like nothing is going on and there is covid.

Those are the facts outside of Litchfield where there evidently is a lot more people.

Reactions: TigersNBraves
I'm talking about the slammed bar at Dagwoods or I'm talking about the Walmart grocery store that had every register open and still had lines..

I'm talking about the beach at high tide that were maybe 3 feet apart.

I'm talking about the 250 people waiting in line to get into a cold pool at Ocean Lakes..

It's honestly like nothing is going on and there is covid.

Those are the facts outside of Litchfield where there evidently is a lot more people.

This is obviously false because there has never been a Walmart where all registers were open

Reactions: Cloud 9
Birx also defended Trump's suggestion that people should inject lysol into their bodies to stop Covid. The irony that she wants people who died of covid without being tested when she was part of Trump's failure to get enough tests is rich.

Lol

Bolded: I’ll take your word for it while still having my doubts that the MAIN reason why you don’t wear a mask is because you feel healthcare workers are in greater need of them. If that’s the case, you’re one of a few.

Italicized: There have been studies indicating that it doesn’t require “prolonged” exposure but to be fair, there’s enough information both ways that seems to be proven then disproven. It’s still so early but you’re absolutely taking a risk by not wearing a mask. Maybe you’re young and healthy so you’re not worried but the thing about this is how easily it can be spread to more people than you’d ever understand before you’re (or if you ever were) you had COVID-19.

Take this for what it’s worth, maybe you’ll qualify it as prolonged or unrealistic & exaggerated/not-applicable to you because you won’t be at a buffet anytime soon but IF it’s accurate, it shows how easily it could be spread at a bar, for example. It’s another reason why not touching your face is another precaution though it seems like a lot of people have overlooked that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzann...-how-quickly-covid-19-can-spread-at-a-buffet/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT