ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia legislature approves election integrity bill, Gov. Kemp signs it into law

The law states that no election official or party affiliate can HAND OUT food, water, swag, bling, gifts, etc to voters as that would potentially influence a vote. It's not as inhumane as not allowing anyone to eat or drink in-line

What stops people from bringing their own food or water? When I take my kids anywhere, my wife brings 19 different snacks, waters, survival kits, first aid, covid masks, toys, ipads, strollers.....etc. Can't an 18 year + old adult come equipped with a hydro flask or bottle of water?

Thanks for that clarification and that is totally reasonable.

The law states that no election official or party affiliate can HAND OUT food, water, swag, bling, gifts, etc to voters as that would potentially influence a vote. It's not as inhumane as not allowing anyone to eat or drink in-line

What stops people from bringing their own food or water? When I take my kids anywhere, my wife brings 19 different snacks, waters, survival kits, first aid, covid masks, toys, ipads, strollers.....etc. Can't an 18 year + old adult come equipped with a hydro flask or bottle of water?

This. It seems like more insinuation that a certain group of people can't care for themselves, prepare thoughtfully, etc. It's completely reasonable to expect a 18+ adult to throw a water bottle in their bag if the need it.

I also imagine there will be an opportunity to set up folding tables with water or something along the line. That way there is no one approaching or offering anything (leaving open the opportunity to influence the voter), but water is accessible.

But dude several posts ago thinks it's because of descendants of slave owners. What a bizarre way to go through life.

This. It seems like more insinuation that a certain group of people can't care for themselves, prepare thoughtfully, etc. It's completely reasonable to expect a 18+ adult to throw a water bottle in their bag if the need it.

I also imagine there will be an opportunity to set up folding tables with water or something along the line. That way there is no one approaching or offering anything (leaving open the opportunity to influence the voter), but water is accessible.

But dude several posts ago thinks it's because of descendants of slave owners. What a bizarre way to go through life.

I guess many haven't read through the H.R. -1 bill that's being rammed through now. That's a complete overhaul to the electoral process........

Reactions: Dmk
So I had to look up the wording given the public outcry on this topic. See below for exact language in the bill. It goes as far as to specify that self-service water stations may be provided.

I continue to be amazed at the knee-jerk reactions and intentional disinformation. Joe Biden used this very section to somehow tie the bill to Jim Crow laws. That comment is no better than many of Trump’s. Shameful.

Said chapter is further amended by revising subsections (a) and (e) of Code Section 21-2-414, relating to restrictions on campaign activities and public opinion polling within the vicinity of a polling place, cellular phone use prohibited, prohibition of candidates from entering certain polling places, and penalty, as follows:

"(a) No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person give, offer to give, or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to an elector, nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition, nor shall any person, other than election officials discharging their duties, establish or set up any tables or booths on any day in which ballots are being cast:
(1) Within 150 feet of the outer edge of any building within which a polling place is established;
(2) Within any polling place; or
(3) Within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place.
These restrictions shall not apply to conduct occurring in private offices or areas which cannot be seen or heard by such electors."
"(e) This Code section shall not be construed to prohibit a poll officer from distributing materials, as required by law, which are necessary for the purpose of instructing electors or from distributing materials prepared by the Secretary of State which are designed solely for the purpose of encouraging voter participation in the election being conducted or from making available self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in line to vote."

Reactions: asnelli
The law states that voters cannot eat food or drink water while waiting in line to vote. What kind of human being would approve a rule like this? Oh, i forgot these are the descedants of slave owners and people who lynched people because God made them non white.

I’m sorry to say this to a fellow Clemson fan, but if you actually believed that a law was passed forbidding someone to drink water in line, well, the person believing such a thing would have to be be incredibly dumb. I mean really really dumb.

Since you are a Clemson fan though, I’ll show deference to your intellect and assume that you were merely propagating political disinformation. At least I hope so. For the sake of your, your family’s and my university’s reputations.

I guess many haven't read through the H.R. -1 bill that's being rammed through now. That's a complete overhaul to the electoral process........

If they manage to ram that through its not good, but I am hoping it will not stand up in court due to states rights.

Thank you for your reply. I have a master's degree from Clemson,and I am not dumb! Denying black people the opportunity to eat or drink while in a line to vote is minor compared to the history of Republicans behavior. I can name hundreds of incidents but I will not today.

Read the 24th amendment

The 24th amendment in no way states that ID cannot be checked for voting in the US. That would be a flying leap of fantasy to try and cobble that connection.

Any person or group that wants to have ID free elections in the US do not have good intentions and want to win any way possible rather than have the will of the citizens be determined. Citizens is a very big word in this.

The 24th amendment in no way states that ID cannot be checked for voting in the US. That would be a flying leap of fantasy to try and cobble that connection.

Any person or group that wants to have ID free elections in the US do not have good intentions and want to win any way possible rather than have the will of the citizens be determined. Citizens is a very big word in this.
What does the 24th amendment say?

Right, but what does it state?

LOL. I will humor you. No part of this can be interpreted to say that verfication of citizenship cannot be completed. You have dishonest goals if you support no voter id.

24th Amendment
Primary tabs
Amendment XXIV
Section 1.

The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.
Section 2.
The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Reactions: WilkinsHat
Right, but what does it state?

The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

----

The critical point here is "citizens of the United States" because without identification nobody can verify that the person voting is the citizen that they are claiming to be.

So, if you'd like to claim that it's a "poll tax" then simply verify that you're a US citizen to make sure it's a concern. It's a self resolving problem.

Reactions: Dmk and TigerGrowls
This is one of those laws that makes it just a little harder for the poor folks to vote. It's not unreasonable, just a little bump in the road. I personally wouldn't really have a problem with it. I'd drop by the elections office, show my ID, grab my ballot and move on. Most of us would...

But things are harder when you are poor. You may not have a car. And if you are an hourly worker, you have to miss work to do this. My neighbor got an absentee ballot this election. She just called the election office and they sent one to her address on record. She voted and sent it back in. No problem.

Now I SUPPOSE, someone could have called and faked that and then stolen the ballot out of her mail box. Assuming that she didn't turn up on election day to vote or actually order an absentee ballot, that person might get away with it. That seems like a pretty inefficient way to cheat compared to stuffing a ballot box or altering the vote count.

The bottom line here is that poor folks don't rig elections. People with resources do. And they traditionally do it by switching ballots, stuffing ballot boxes, counting the votes wrong and/or hacking the voting machines. That gives you the ability to alter votes by the thousands, not one at the time. Any sort of scheme that alters votes one at a time is unlikely (as this law addresses) simply because it's too hard to do.

Assuming some sort of bait and switch scheme, let's say it takes about 10 mins to call the election office, fake who you are, get them to mail you a ballot, then steal and fill out the ballot. How long does it take to fake a thousand votes? A week of non stop work. All of which is easily detected if the person actually shows up to vote.

If you want to stop election fraud, you have to start at the voting place and work up. That's where any major fraud would be. These laws simply make it harder to vote by and large. Would it be easier for a few people to slip a few votes into the system. Sure. Enough to sway an election? Doubtful.

The provision for not handing out water was a masterful stroke by the GA legislature. That is what everyone is talking about, and it doesn't matter. The fact that the GA legislature took the power away from the SOS to run the elections is what matters here. They are going to have the power to "manage" and essentially overturn the election results if they don't go the way they want them to go. That is crazy and extremely un-American.

So if the governor is Deep State, why would he sign this?

He caught the Deep State virus from November to January, but he is fully recovered now. He probably got it from wearing that china flag mask that the Gateway Pundit keeps showing him wearing.

LOL. I will humor you. No part of this can be interpreted to say that verfication of citizenship cannot be completed. You have dishonest goals if you support no voter id.

24th Amendment
Primary tabs
Amendment XXIV
Section 1.

Section 2.
The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
Ok you're almost there. Keep going.

So if the governor is Deep State, why would he sign this?

Governor got directed to do what he did related to the election and/or payed off. He was able to claim he was keeping his values and not part of the decsion process during the actual election as he said it was in Raffenspuke's hands. If he vetoed this, then there would have been no excuse.

The provision for not handing out water was a masterful stroke by the GA legislature. That is what everyone is talking about, and it doesn't matter. The fact that the GA legislature took the power away from the SOS to run the elections is what matters here. They are going to have the power to "manage" and essentially overturn the election results if they don't go the way they want them to go. That is crazy and extremely un-American.

The fact that libs are clinging to the "they cant have water" mantra shows how lame your argument is. Any reasonable person that has intelligence and all minorities do have intelligence will know to bring a bottle of water with them if they are going to have to wait in line for some hours.

Governor got directed to do what he did related to the election and/or payed off. He was able to claim he was keeping his values and not part of the decsion process during the actual election as he said it was in Raffenspuke's hands. If he vetoed this, then there would have been no excuse.

But couldn't he get directed to veto the law and/or payed off? He would be able to claim he keeping his values to serve all Georgians by vetoing the bill. You yourself said he wasn't going to get reelected, so what does he have to lose?

But couldn't he get directed to veto the law and/or payed off? He would be able to claim he keeping his values to serve all Georgians by vetoing the bill. You yourself said he wasn't going to get reelected, so what does he have to lose?

Good argument, but I think he would lose any little bit of credibility he thinks he has as he throughout the process claimed that he was disturbed by happenings in certain areas, but that Raffenspuke was running the process. He is toast in the next election though. I predict he will not be the repub nominee. He probably thinks he can turn the opinions around and win again and that might be part of it.

Congress is going to render all these Jim Crowe laws unconstitutional at some point.

I don't understand what the big deal is.......many a dem lead state changed their voting laws weeks before the 2020 election and I'm struggling to recall seeing all of the outrage from the left. At least folks will have 3.5 years to understand these new rules in GA so they can ensure they abide by them come the next election.

You need a valid ID to do just about everything from business meetings to get through building security to buying a new phone at AT&T but yet the thought logic is that we should just let people that can't prove who they are vote in our elections. I'm struggling to understand why each side argues over this. It's fundamental

But I love that Biden has the capacity to weigh in on moving the All Star game out of Georgia when illegals are lobbing babies into the RIo Grande trying to come to the land of the "sort of" free for free. Seems like Biden and Trump really aren't that different after all when it comes to priorities.

Reactions: WilkinsHat and Dmk
I don't understand what the big deal is.......many a dem lead state changed their voting laws weeks before the 2020 election and I'm struggling to recall seeing all of the outrage from the left. At least folks will have 3.5 years to understand these new rules in GA so they can ensure they abide by them come the next election.

You need a valid ID to do just about everything from business meetings to get through building security to buying a new phone at AT&T but yet the thought logic is that we should just let people that can't prove who they are vote in our elections. I'm struggling to understand why each side argues over this. It's fundamental

But I love that Biden has the capacity to weigh in on moving the All Star game out of Georgia when illegals are lobbing babies into the RIo Grande trying to come to the land of the "sort of" free for free. Seems like Biden and Trump really aren't that different after all when it comes to priorities.

The big deal has less to do with the ID requirement, which I don't have a problem with, and more to do with the over-reaction to a lie. He went as draconian as he could to make it harder to vote due to something that didn't happen. I admittedly haven't read the bill, but if the news is correct about the new rules regarding polls closing at 5:00PM, appointing a board that can overturn local electors, removing drop off ballot locations, etc...then this is an obvious attempt at keeping less people from the polls. Remember, everyone isn't as blessed as you and I and therefore some can't get to the polls during the limited hours, for many reasons.

As far as your unrelated Biden comment - PFFTT. :)

The big deal has less to do with the ID requirement, which I don't have a problem with, and more to do with the over-reaction to a lie. He went as draconian as he could to make it harder to vote due to something that didn't happen. I admittedly haven't read the bill, but if the news is correct about the new rules regarding polls closing at 5:00PM, appointing a board that can overturn local electors, removing drop off ballot locations, etc...then this is an obvious attempt at keeping less people from the polls. Remember, everyone isn't as blessed as you and I and therefore some can't get to the polls during the limited hours, for many reasons.

As far as your unrelated Biden comment - PFFTT. :)

I'm with you on the cutoff time. I think if the Fed really wants to get involved in probably the single most important change or mandate, then why not make it a national holiday? States then must open the polls for 24 hours from midnight to midnight, extend locations to school gymnasiums to accommodate more people etc etc. Create online apps that show which locations have the shortest lines, etc etc. For all of the sh*t this country invests in, I'm not sure why a more efficient voting methodology isn't one of them.

Our beloved tech firms like FB, Google, AWS etc are up Trillions this year......it would cost less than a million per state to create a proper app with GPS to point you to the most efficient voting location in your district. Surely these low corp tax paying behemoths could donate the tech and development? :) That's just a single example to help with the argument about long lines and waiting times.

So are republicans passing a law to make state issued id cards free? If they aren't they will get the bill tossed out because as has been mentioned, theres the 24th amendment.

That doesn't seem correct.

“No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person give, offer to give, or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to an elector,” the law reads.

I'm with you on the cutoff time. I think if the Fed really wants to get involved in probably the single most important change or mandate, then why not make it a national holiday? States then must open the polls for 24 hours from midnight to midnight, extend locations to school gymnasiums to accommodate more people etc etc. Create online apps that show which locations have the shortest lines, etc etc. For all of the sh*t this country invests in, I'm not sure why a more efficient voting methodology isn't one of them.

Our beloved tech firms like FB, Google, AWS etc are up Trillions this year......it would cost less than a million per state to create a proper app with GPS to point you to the most efficient voting location in your district. Surely these low corp tax paying behemoths could donate the tech and development? :) That's just a single example to help with the argument about long lines and waiting times.

I agree with this 100%

makes perfect sense to me. But it wont happen, and even on national holidays fast food workers and grocery workers, our essential workers.. are still working

makes perfect sense to me. But it wont happen, and even on national holidays fast food workers and grocery workers, our essential workers.. are still working

True but his comment about the polls being open 24 hours and opening larger venues would help those folks too.

Reactions: firegiver
True but his comment about the polls being open 24 hours and opening larger venues would help those folks too.
oh for sure its a much better solution than the one about to happen in GA. But it wont happen because the point of the GA laws is to restrict voting.

Reactions: DW4_2016 and dpic73
So are republicans passing a law to make state issued id cards free? If they aren't they will get the bill tossed out because as has been mentioned, theres the 24th amendment.

Again though, you can't do anything in the United States without an ID........how are these folks surviving today without it? (the homeless are the exception here)

As an example, you can't collect welfare benefits without a government issued ID so if the truly less fortunate are taking government help, they have to have ID. I would assume most others can afford the $24 to obtain an ID in order to survive in today's America, no?

If all else fails, we can just raise your property taxes to cover free ID's for the entire state :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT