ADVERTISEMENT

**Georgia Runoffs**

I want to try out one argument with you for why Democrats having a tie with the tie break is good from your perspective. Zero "crazy" legislation will pass - they can't get it past Manchin and Sinema. However, broadly popular legislation will at least get a vote, unlike with McConnell in charge. I'd argue only modest stuff getting passed is better than basically nothing.
What kind of “modest stuff”?

What kind of “modest stuff”?

It's hard for me to say, honestly. Stuff that I'd consider modest is probably too liberal to pass in a 50-50 senate.

So what could actually pass? Stuff like COVID relief, for sure. It'd be nice if they could get some electoral reform through. Maybe do something about gerrymandering. Maybe shore up some things with Healthcare. I can't fathom a public option is a reality, unfortunately.

Reactions: fcctiger12
It's hard for me to say, honestly. Stuff that I'd consider modest is probably too liberal to pass in a 50-50 senate.

So what could actually pass? Stuff like COVID relief, for sure. It'd be nice if they could get some electoral reform through. Maybe do something about gerrymandering. Maybe shore up some things with Healthcare. I can't fathom a public option is a reality, unfortunately.

The Democratic House has already passed a bill that would outlaw gerrymandering and require every state to implement a non-partisan redistricting process. With Dems taking the Senate, there is a real chance of that passing - though I assume Republicans will try to filibuster it.

Other things that could happen:

- A big investment in infrastructure (including clean energy)
- Allowing Medicare to use its purchasing power to negotiate cheaper drug prices (which is currently banned because of Republicans)
- Improving Obamacare including adding a public option to compete with private plans

I want to try out one argument with you for why Democrats having a tie with the tie break is good from your perspective. Zero "crazy" legislation will pass - they can't get it past Manchin and Sinema. However, broadly popular legislation will at least get a vote, unlike with McConnell in charge. I'd argue only modest stuff getting passed is better than basically nothing.

i agree

Reactions: FLaw47

Firstly, I don’t mean any disrespect by this (and I mean that) but I think it’s important for you to know, these are things to consider before posing an argument.

Covid relief has been passed, and was actually much more substantial before democrats damned the relief prior to the election. to be fair, both sides were politicking and whoever got that relief out in the name of their party won. At least in the eyes of the media and respective constituencies.

There is nothing modest about electoral reform, nothing. That’s a huge undertaking no matter how lightly some talking heads take it.

Healthcare, again is not modest. The scope and scale of healthcare reform is one of the largest undertakings of our country. Not to say it isn’t something that needs consideration. It certainly does. But it’s by no means modest.

Not trying to attack you at all. I think that you’re definitely within your rights to have and express concerns. But I also think as a country we profit more from a more critical thinking approach to these types of things. Not just a bullet point regurgitation of “feel good” “sounds good” legislation.

The Democratic House has already passed a bill that would outlaw gerrymandering and require every state to implement a non-partisan redistricting process. With Dems taking the Senate, there is a real chance of that passing - though I assume Republicans will try to filibuster it.

Other things that could happen:

- A big investment in infrastructure (including clean energy)
- Allowing Medicare to use its purchasing power to negotiate cheaper drug prices (which is currently banned because of Republicans)
- Improving Obamacare including adding a public option to compete with private plans

I hope you're right but I fear you're being optimistic. The voting rights stuff would win a straight vote I think but, like you said, I don't think 10 Republicans would jump ship on a cloture vote. And the votes aren't there to end the filibuster (unfortunately).

This coming from a guy who recently asked election officials to "find" 1 more vote than he needed in order to swing the election in his favor. What a butthurt douchebag.

Reactions: yoshi121374
This coming from a guy who recently asked election officials to "find" just enough votes to swing the election in his favor. What a butthurt douchebag.

Reactions: clemsontiger02
Firstly, I don’t mean any disrespect by this (and I mean that) but I think it’s important for you to know, these are things to consider before posing an argument.

Covid relief has been passed, and was actually much more substantial before democrats damned the relief prior to the election. to be fair, both sides were politicking and whoever got that relief out in the name of their party won. At least in the eyes of the media and respective constituencies.

There is nothing modest about electoral reform, nothing. That’s a huge undertaking no matter how lightly some talking heads take it.

Healthcare, again is not modest. The scope and scale of healthcare reform is one of the largest undertakings of our country. Not to say it isn’t something that needs consideration. It certainly does. But it’s by no means modest.

Not trying to attack you at all. I think that you’re definitely within your rights to have and express concerns. But I also think as a country we profit more from a more critical thinking approach to these types of things. Not just a bullet point regurgitation of “feel good” “sounds good” legislation.

To clarify, I don't use modest as a proxy for "easy" or "simple." I mostly mean it as incremental and/or broadly popular. For health care, for example, perhaps the ACA subsidy gap gets closed. Sorry for the poor framing on my part.

To clarify, I don't use modest as a proxy for "easy" or "simple." I mostly mean it as incremental and/or broadly popular. For health care, for example, perhaps the ACA subsidy gap gets closed. Sorry for the poor framing on my part.
Fair enough and to that point I think some of the disconnect we experience between parties lies largely in the definition of terms. It’s honestly strange how different terminology is used between the two groups and no one really talks about that.

Fair enough and to that point I think some of the disconnect we experience between parties lies largely in the definition of terms. It’s honestly strange how different terminology is used between the two groups and no one really talks about that.

No point in getting into a semantics argument when we can just explain what we really mean :)

Reactions: CouldBeDabo
From the NY Times:

Republicans continue to hold a narrow lead in the tabulated vote, but Democrats are increasingly clear favorites to win both races for Senate. Over the last hour, Republicans have failed to outperform expectations in relatively Republican areas, leaving them at the mercy of the overwhelmingly Democratic votes that remain in the Atlanta area. To prevail, the Republicans will have to outperform our expectations in these remaining votes by a significant margin, and in the case of Kelly Loeffler an implausible margin. They haven't outperformed our expectations much of anywhere tonight.

89538f63-0669-406b-95b6-0ae91c0a1280_text.gif

I am waiting for Trump and other Republicans to oppose the count of any overseas and military ballots since they can come in by Friday and still be counted. Somehow, I expect crickets.

I totally forgot about the BBall game. Even better!
I’m new to this crazy forum so forgive my ignorance. Are you aware of the irony of your trumpian support of the Democratic Party or is that the joke im missing? Although, even in the cloak of irony is the same fanaticism you despise so much in trump supporters...?

I’m new to this crazy forum so forgive my ignorance. Are you aware of the irony of your trumpian support of the Democratic Party or is that the joke im missing? Although, even in the cloak of irony is the same fanaticism you despise so much in trump supporters...?

I am confused by this post. How is my forgetting that there was a basketball game tonight "Trumpian support of the Democratic Party?"

I am confused by this post. How is my forgetting that there was a basketball game tonight "Trumpian support of the Democratic Party?"
Sorry I couldn’t quote every thread you started and their subsequent post. Pretend I quoted everything you’ve posted tonight.
Would be helpful if you addressed my question when you do so.

As a republican, there’s a piece of me that will be relieved when Democrats control the country. Bring on free college, more govt control over healthcare, elimination of genders, budget cuts for police. There’s only one way to find out how it works and I can’t wait to see how it unfolds.

Sorry I couldn’t quote every thread you started and their subsequent post. Pretend I quoted everything you’ve posted tonight.
Would be helpful if you addressed my question when you do so.

I'll do my best, though you seem pretty obtuse.

I am an ardent Democrat because I believe that A. Our policies are much better for the country. B. Republicans have shown time and again that they are incapable of governing. C. The Republican Party has become a cult that denies reality, embraces conspiracy theories and is trying to overthrow the duly elected government of the United States.

So I am celebrating tonight because not having Mitch McConnell block any and all efforts by Joe Biden to do what is needed to help American families and businesses make it through this pandemic or to improve the lives of the American people generally is incredibly great news for our country.

Now, I also understand that this is my opinion. And while I think they're wrong, I have all the respect in the world for the Mitt Romneys and John McCains of the world who disagree with me and engage in an honest debate and honestly contest our elections. I am very glad they lost their own bids for the White House, but they both were upstanding, competent leaders who wanted what was best for America.

The American people have spoken. They voted for Joe Biden by 7 million votes. Biden won the electoral college decisively. And now, Democrats have won the senate despite the huge bias in the senate against Democrats.

When Hillary Clinton lost the Electoral College, while winning the popular vote by 3 million, I was despondent because it was apparent that Trump would be a disaster. But even though the Electoral College is an undemocratic leftover of the compromises in the Constitution that gave smaller slave states more power than they deserved, thems the rules, So I, and 99.9% of Democrats, accepted the results. I immediately started working to take the House back in 2018 and the White House in 2020, but I accepted the results. As did Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, and Joe Biden.

Even though this year's election is not as close as 2016, Republicans (as evidenced time and again by this board) have undertaken and effort to shred the constitution, disregard the will of the voters, and overthrow the duly elected government. Even though they have been able to provide ZERO evidence, even though 62 court cases (including SCOTUS) have found no fraud, even though Trump's buttboy Bill Barr and his own DHS confirmed the legitimacy of the results, they continue to push conspiracy theories to the contrary. And now they are plotting violent protests in our nation's capital with the approval of the POTUS. And they are doing all of this for one of the three worst president's in our history. A president who has put his own interests ahead of America at every turn, and whose incompetence and corruption has led the to the avoidable deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans.

So, **** NO, it's not the same.

As a republican, there’s a piece of me that will be relieved when Democrats control the country. Bring on free college, more govt control over healthcare, elimination of genders, budget cuts for police. There’s only one way to find out how it works and I can’t wait to see how it unfolds.

Only one candidate for president has proposed and supported cuts to police, and his name is NOT Joe Biden.

And "elimination of genders?" Come on, do you even hear how ridiculous that sounds?

But yeah, I'm all for free college for working American families and a public option. So are about 65% of Americans, so bring those the **** on!

you can thank one person for that. Trump.

So true. The unmistakable irony in all of this is that it is the outcome of Republicans worshipping at the alter of Trump for four years. Hope it was worth it. Are you tired of all the winning yet?

And today it's Mike Pence's turn to learn how Trump treats his loyalists once they are no longer of use to him. It could get ugly.

So true. The unmistakable irony in all of this is that it is the outcome of Republicans worshipping at the alter of Trump for four years. Hope it was worth it. Are you tired of all the winning yet?

And today it's Mike Pence's turn to learn how Trump treats his loyalists once they are no longer of use to him. It could get ugly.

Markets are getting absolutely destroyed today, so many people are terrified of what unified Dem control of government will bring. It's a bloodbath!!!

Oh. Wait. That's not happening? Huh.

Gotta love these two different headlines:

FOX
Market fighting back after early losses as Dems may win control of Congress
Investors awaiting the outcome of the Georgia election that will determine who controls the U.S. Senate

CNN
LIVE UPDATES Stocks surge after Democrats lead Senate races

And @jakefest , I was a little annoyed at CNN last night, at one point during their election coverage they said "WE have a real shot when those Dekalb votes come in."

Gotta love these two different headlines:

FOX
Market fighting back after early losses as Dems may win control of Congress
Investors awaiting the outcome of the Georgia election that will determine who controls the U.S. Senate

CNN
LIVE UPDATES Stocks surge after Democrats lead Senate races

And @jakefest , I was a little annoyed at CNN last night, at one point during their election coverage they said "WE have a real shot when those Dekalb votes come in."

Who said that? My guess is it was one of the Dem commentators on their panel?

Who said that? My guess is it was one of the Dem commentators on their panel?

It was the guy who analyzes the map with Wolf Blitzer. May have just been a slip, but he definitely said "we" instead of "he".

It was the guy who analyzes the map with Wolf Blitzer. May have just been a slip, but he definitely said "we" instead of "he".

I mean, you aren't surprised right? I think it's plainly obvious where their bias is. I don't think that's a controversial position at this point.

you can thank one person for that. Trump.

Yea, Trump has completely wrecked the GOP. The election stuff, the freakshow with Giuliani and crew, the $2K stimulus, the division, etc. GOP wins GA yesterday without his nonsense. Now we just have to hope the narrow majority keeps anything major or permanent (ie new entitlements) from passing.

Reactions: yoshi121374
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT