ADVERTISEMENT

Germany

CB897895-D31-C-4-CF0-8-AC3-9-FD6-B21-E3805.gif

töte dich

Last edited:
We took a river cruise last summer and it came up twice with the tour guides in a couple of cities. Interesting they referred to us fighting Hitler and the Nazis, not Germany, and made reference to the USA liberating them.

Keep in mind they were working for tips, but...

Are modern Germans happy that they lost WWII? Is that their view on things? Is it similar to the way modern southern people are glad they lost the Civil War?
Well similar to make EU countries…Germany is super woke and the affiliations of WW2 party and beliefs are not acceptable.

I don’t know how they really feel though

Reactions: OCG89
We took a river cruise last summer and it came up twice with the tour guides in a couple of cities. Interesting they referred to us fighting Hitler and the Nazis, not Germany, and made reference to the USA liberating them.

Keep in mind they were working for tips, but...

Not a German history/culture expert, but took a LOT of German in HS and at Clemson, including things like German Culture and Scientific German. Was planning on going for Ph.D. in geology at one point and wanted to knock out the then foreign language requirement that most Ph.D. programs had.

I know more than the average person and it’s not from watching the History Channel. Will say that based on translations we did, many Germans were repulsed by what was going on, but fear kept them from saying anything. This includes SS officers. Funny, but I don’t recall reading accounts of protests in Berlin over treatment of certain groups. The economic frustration & blame after WW1 + fear kept things at bay. I can appreciate their comments on your River tour, but there’s some good old Revisionist History going on there as well.
JMO.

Are modern Germans happy that they lost WWII? Is that their view on things? Is it similar to the way modern southern people are glad they lost the Civil War?
They were not all happy in the 1960s. I have first hand knowledge of that. But that crowd is dead or 100 now. The current 80-90 year olds would have been adolescents during the war. I’m sure some of them bought the Nazi line.
I doubt many boomer age or younger have too many regrets other than loss of family.
The East Germans may have a different tale to tell.

i work for a German company And lived there some.

Germans feels vast vast shame for what happened. For the most part the old timers will not talk about, maybe to the point of almost whitewashing over it, but I think it is just a subject they will not address, even within their families. They will tell you that there is not context or conditions where they were in the right.

It bleed into today in that, they have almost no sense of pride in their country. You would almost never seen people waving a Germany flag and they always comment on the incredible number of American flags here. It is unheard of to be proud of their country outside of maybe national sports like a German national soccer team.

They were not all happy in the 1960s. I have first hand knowledge of that. But that crowd is dead or 100 now. The current 80-90 year olds would have been adolescents during the war. I’m sure some of them bought the Nazi line.
I doubt many boomer age or younger have too many regrets other than loss of family.
The East Germans may have a different tale to tell.
The East German were stepped on for 40 years and when the wall fell, they had the west Germans hating them beciase so much tax money went to the East to rebuild. Only in the last 5 to 10 years do you see people moving to the western side and getting jobs without issue

Not a German history/culture expert, but took a LOT of German in HS and at Clemson, including things like German Culture and Scientific German. Was planning on going for Ph.D. in geology at one point and wanted to knock out the then foreign language requirement that most Ph.D. programs had.

I know more than the average person and it’s not from watching the History Channel. Will say that based on translations we did, many Germans were repulsed by what was going on, but fear kept them from saying anything. This includes SS officers. Funny, but I don’t recall reading accounts of protests in Berlin over treatment of certain groups. The economic frustration & blame after WW1 + fear kept things at bay. I can appreciate their comments on your River tour, but there’s some good old Revisionist History going on there as well.
JMO.
Silence = violence

Reactions: southerncaltiger

JMO.
It is also my understanding that many of the German populace at that time were in the dark as to the atrocities of the Jewish death camps. Do you think that is the case or again just revisionist history? I seriously have no idea, but thought I would ask since you seem to have some knowledge of the time.

It is also my understanding that many of the German populace at that time were in the dark as to the atrocities of the Jewish death camps. Do you think that is the case or again just revisionist history? I seriously have no idea, but thought I would ask since you seem to have some knowledge of the time.
They knew people were disappearing in mass. It is unclear if they knew what was happening in camps, but i doubt they knew the extent.

But people were scared for sure. To this day, the German people are rules followers, they will not jaywalk and I asked why. I was told that when people would commit even the smallest infractions, a truck comes and takes them away and they were gone. It was governed with an iron fist

I mean they knew what was going on. They may not have known what the final solution was, but they knew the nazi party was outwardly antisemitic and that Hitler spoke of killing them. Occupied Europe knew what was going on or what their complicity meant. The bulk of the systematic murder of Jews occurred outside of Germany. But, the mass killing of Soviet POWs occurred in Germany, and was known about relatively early in the war. They were aware of the existence of camps and death squads. Not sure I buy that it was a total shock to all Germans.

Polls out there have it very similar that the Germans loss in WWII is on the same level as the British losing to the 13 Colonies.

Britains wouldn’t have multiple direct flights from London to Orlando a day to showcase their pasty complexion across the Magic Kingdom. Kingdoms are very important to the British people. And, much like China invading America with Tik Tok, British Football is set to take over as the 3rd most popular sport within the decade. In many ways, they still won.

Legit question. IMO, You can’t pull the German flag over your head and then claim to not see what was going on. Insert different words for Penn State, The Catholic Church, and others.
As you have probably surmised, I’m an ENTJ; not a sympathetic personality type. It’s one of my many flaws.

Polls out there have it very similar that the Germans loss in WWII is on the same level as the British losing to the 13 Colonies.

Britains wouldn’t have multiple direct flights from London to Orlando a day to showcase their pasty complexion across the Magic Kingdom. And, much like China invading America with Tik Tok, British Football is set to take over as the 3rd most popular sport within the decade. In many ways, they still won.
Some say the Roman Empire simply became the Catholic Church, and the British empire simply became the World Bank.

Reactions: OCG89
Legit question. IMO, You can’t pull the German flag over your head and then claim to not see what was going on. Insert different words for Penn State, The Catholic Church, and others.
As you have probably surmised, I’m an ENTJ; not a sympathetic personality type. It’s one of my many flaws.
100% agree. They may not have known the nitty gritty details, but they knew millions of people were leaving to never be seen again. Functioning towns existed near enough to the camps that rumor alone would have spread like wildfire.

Plus, many Germans risked their lives to hide Jews and other "undesirables," and they did it because they knew what was happening.

Me neither. It would be cool to cuss someone out in German. It sounds really aggressive.
I know Spanish and Russian. Properly cussing someone out gets elevated to an art form in some foreign languages. Just sounds better than a profanity laced tirade in American English. Unless she’s smoke with a southern accent. I will pay extra for that.

100% agree. They may not have known the nitty gritty details, but they knew millions of people were leaving to never be seen again. Functioning towns existed near enough to the camps that rumor alone would have spread like wildfire.

Plus, many Germans risked their lives to hide Jews and other "undesirables," and they did it because they knew what was happening.

Again, going from memory, but Dachau, the first camp was in operation by mid 1930’s and while it started for political prisoners, etc., it wasn’t far from Munich. No effing way things didn’t leak out, especially when things changed.

Might have been a little suspicious when the railway spurs terminated at these “prison camps”. I’m not far from Folsom Prison (5 miles?)…I don’t see railway cars full of prisoners stopping there and leaving empty. Or large box trucks driving up I-80 to Donner Pass with their exhaust pipes routed back into the cab.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT