ADVERTISEMENT

GQ Magazine

I think many people, including "liberals" are universally condemning the Kevin Spacey's and Harvey Weinstein's for the atrocious behavior. Its just that every time some republican (see Donald Trump, Bill O'Reilly, and Mr. Moore) is accused, too many conservatives resort to the "these women are lying and this is just politically motivated attacks" defense. Listening to Sean Hannity defend this behavior is beyond offensive.

The problem is not a Democratic or Republican, conservative or liberal problem. It is a power problem, and it should be condemned by everyone on both sides no matter who is the accuser and who is the accused.
Stop with your common sense.

Where has A
You are correct, except there were actual Nazis and white supremacists in those protests and now they are emboldened that their hate is now accepted.

Please show me where ANYONE in any public position has accepted their hate. This is not true.

It is actually not the leading men’s magazine as you claim. That would be Men’s Health. This rag Only has 900k subscribers. That is virtually nothing in today’s online world where The Huffington Post ( a real leading liberal site), gets 20 million hits a day. Now I have conceded that their readership is most likely liberal. Ergo, that is why they are choosing this action. You would choose the same if that is where “Your bread is Buttered”.

Good lord. I’m not sure why you’re even arguing this. GQ isn’t some marginal “rag,” and more people than just the ones who buy the physical magazine read their stuff.

I cant believe this is your argument. Go back and listen to Trump's press conference after the Charlottesville protest. One of the groups that he said included "many good people" was marching carrying torches and chanting Nazi slogans. He equated their behavior with that of the people protesting against them. If that is not accepting their hate then I dont know what to tell you.

I cant believe this is your argument. Go back and listen to Trump's press conference after the Charlottesville protest. One of the groups that he said included "many good people" was marching carrying torches and chanting Nazi slogans. He equated their behavior with that of the people protesting against them. If that is not accepting their hate then I dont know what to tell you.

You seem to think he was talking about the Nazis and white supremacists, and not the people he thought may have been there just to protest taking down the statue. I think he was wrong to say that because normal people would’ve left when they saw who some of the other people there were, but I think this is just another case of Trump being more of an ignoramus than anything else.

As far as him “equating their behavior with that of the people protesting them,” he wasn’t equating the Nazis and white supremacists with peaceful protesters who just showed up to oppose racism. He was talking about the frequently violent left-wing groups who have showed up whenever anything happens they didn’t like. They were there in Charlottesville, too, but obviously (once again) what Trump said was more than a little bit infelicitous because he didn’t single out the Nazis and white supremacists, and one of the white supremacists actually killed somebody with their car.

All in all, he obviously handled the situation stupidly. He never lets an occasion to do something stupidly go by. But I don’t think he meant to condone the Nazi or white supremacist elements at Charlottesville.

Last edited:
Very entertaining to read these threads and see where they start and end up (usually with a nazi reference). GQ is a fantastic publication for what it is they do well (fashion/lifestyle), but not surprising who they cater to (hint: not the khaki crowd).

That being said, anyone violently objecting to Kaepernick on the cover should look in the mirror and admit they are snowflakes. And for those who disagree, by definition, a snowflake is "A hypersensitive, irrational person who can't stand to have their world views challenged, or be offended in any perceived or even slightest of ways; they will have any number of emotional reactions: impuning character and/or motives, blocking on social media, shouting, interrupting, threatening, assaulting, etc. They often live in an echo chamber of their own beliefs and surround themselves exclusively with people and opinions that agree with their own. This term is most often use to describe people left-leaning people, but can be applied both left and right wing people."

This thread was a fantastic read. I could give two shits if Kap spends the rest of his life unemployed and kneeling or if he wins 5 Super Bowls. I find it wonderfully entertaining that both sides are protesting the NFL and no one knows what to do.

Personally I still believe he originally took a knee pouting over loosing his starting position. Then he turned it into a black lives matter protest to try to save face and not look like a cry baby.

I think many people, including "liberals" are universally condemning the Kevin Spacey's and Harvey Weinstein's for the atrocious behavior. Its just that every time some republican (see Donald Trump, Bill O'Reilly, and Mr. Moore) is accused, too many conservatives resort to the "these women are lying and this is just politically motivated attacks" defense. Listening to Sean Hannity defend this behavior is beyond offensive.

The problem is not a Democratic or Republican, conservative or liberal problem. It is a power problem, and it should be condemned by everyone on both sides no matter who is the accuser and who is the accused.

I am so amused that the left keeps on bringing up Trump with this. He was accused not convicted. And for his grab them by the pussy remark, I hear far worse by rappers.

I do find it very interesting that Moore accused victim was a Clinton staffer. I mean they wouldn’t try to sabotage an election whatso ever, cough cough.... Bernie.

Oh Bill O’Reilly. Hmmm.... is there something going on about a possible false accusation by the victim now?

The Hollywood entertainment industry has no problem with going after conservatives during award shows, but will not do the same. Prime example is the most recent Governors Award.

Just callin a spade a spade dudes.

@andcam @OrangeRegalia

Please continue because this provides me great entertainment!

Good lord. I’m not sure why you’re even arguing this. GQ isn’t some marginal “rag,” and more people than just the ones who buy the physical magazine read their stuff.

ok, so it is in between a marginal rag and the voice of the men's liberal movement then? Sound good?

I am so amused that the left keeps on bringing up Trump with this. He was accused not convicted. And for his grab them by the pussy remark, I hear far worse by rappers.

I do find it very interesting that Moore accused victim was a Clinton staffer. I mean they wouldn’t try to sabotage an election whatso ever, cough cough.... Bernie.

Oh Bill O’Reilly. Hmmm.... is there something going on about a possible false accusation by the victim now?

The Hollywood entertainment industry has no problem with going after conservatives during award shows, but will not do the same. Prime example is the most recent Governors Award.

@andcam @OrangeRegalia

My reply is that not all sexual harassment goes to a conviction. Many times settlements preclude that (see O'Reilly). In other instances the victims are often intimidated or do not want the hassle of going through the legal system. It still does not make it right if there is no conviction. Finally, let me say a special something about O'Reilly - For one, an employer does not pay out tens of millions in settlements if there is no fire with the smoke. Second, he was the money man at Fox. His show was the most popular on cable TV. Yet he got fired by one of the most conservative TV outlets that there is on the news today. Let that sink in for a minute before you whitewash Mr. O'Reilly.

Reactions: TigerLion06
My reply is that not all sexual harassment goes to a conviction. Many times settlements preclude that (see O'Reilly). In other instances the victims are often intimidated or do not want the hassle of going through the legal system. It still does not make it right if there is no conviction. Finally, let me say a special something about O'Reilly - For one, an employer does not pay out tens of millions in settlements if there is no fire with the smoke. Second, he was the money man at Fox. His show was the most popular on cable TV. Yet he got fired by one of the most conservative TV outlets that there is on the news today. Let that sink in for a minute before you whitewash Mr. O'Reilly.

Typical response and expected.

I will agree on Oreilly though. He has some issues if he was fired because like you said, he was a money man for Fox.

@andcam @OrangeRegalia

President Trump said grab them by the pussy but Snoop said "we don't love them hoes".

Compared what the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES said to what a rapper says. We are in a new America officially. I don't ever remember entertainers ever have anywhere near the expectations of the leader of the free world or said leader having freedom to act on the level of some uneducated dude that can rhyme real well. Wow. We'll say anything to defend "our guy's" behavior.

But, but, but, but.......Snoop was once charged with murder and talks about illegal drug use all the time.

Him donating 100K a month, feeding the homeless, etc for the last couple years at least, I’m sure had nothing to do with it. He’s actually doing what he said he was going to do and he’s being acknowledged for it. Has nothing to do with the silly ass protest that no one can comprehend the actual reason he’s protesting. Oh and by the way, it was a group of vets who encouraged him to protest in the beginning, he consulted with vets before taking the knee but don’t let me get in the way of accuracy.

Hugo Chavez did the same

Not saying he is anywhere close to that psycho but just because you do a lot of good does not mean it cancels out his bad - disrespecting the police

Typical response and expected.

I will agree on Oreilly though. He has some issues if he was fired because like you said, he was a money man for Fox.

I dont understand what is incorrect about my response. Do you doubt that harassment can exist without criminal charges? I saw plenty of it first hand in corporate America and you are lying to yourself in support of parisanship if you say otherwise. Just calling a spade a spade. Glad we can reach agreement on O'Reilly. I appreciate you looking at that more openly.

@andcam @OrangeRegalia

Good stuff. You always deliver. Were you one of the people who was raising hell when Obama invited Common (a rapper) to the white house? But now with Trump we should hold him - the president of our beloved country - to the same standard as rappers?

President Trump said grab them by the pussy but Snoop said "we don't love them hoes".

Compared what the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES said to what a rapper says. We are in a new America officially. I don't ever remember entertainers ever have anywhere near the expectations of the leader of the free world or said leader having freedom to act on the level of some uneducated dude that can rhyme real well. Wow. We'll say anything to defend "our guy's" behavior.

Lmao. He was recorded, without his knowledge in 2006.

What was Bill Clinton doing in the Oval Office and the campaign trail.

If you don’t think that kids don’t try to emulate lifestyles of famous people.... especially a rappers lifestyle then you are kidding yourself.

Good stuff. You always deliver. Were you one of the people who was raising hell when Obama invited Common (a rapper) to the white house? But now with Trump we should hold him - the president of our beloved country - to the same standard as rappers?

Nope but you can search my post if you are that board.

But Obama was a horrid President that lived off his lies to the American people.

ok, so it is in between a marginal rag and the voice of the men's liberal movement then? Sound good?

Maybe I'm just missing what the argument you're making is. GQ is clearly an influential magazine with a fairly wide readership. It's not "the voice" of anybody, although it's thought of as the leading men's style/lifestyle magazine. I think @amynhop's point was more that the liberal editors/writers at GQ were nuts to pick Kap as their "Citizen of the Year" when they're not only trying to appeal to other liberals, not that GQ speaks for an entire subset of the political spectrum.

Last edited:
Reactions: amynhop
Maybe I'm just missing what the argument you're making is. GQ is clearly an influential magazine with a fairly wide readership. It's not "the voice" of anybody, although it's thought of as the leading men's style/lifestyle magazine. I think @amynhop's point was more that the liberal editors/writers at GQ were nuts to pick Kap as their "Citizen of the Year" when they're not only trying to appeal to other liberals, not that GQ speaks for an entire subset of the political spectrum.

Absolutely.... you are correct. My post was directly referencing the idiots at GQ ( who would definitely be on the left) for their embarrassing selection of Citizen of the Year. I know they do not speak for all liberals.
If there were a few who didn't "understand" the post.....they have a reading comprehension problem.

Lol. Not at all. I clearly stated about the correlation of what Trump said and what rappers have said. Good try though. Continue to reach for the stars.

What do rappers even have to do with a guy running for president, who's now the president? If Trump had been a rapper who said things that rappers frequently say in their music, it's one thing. Having a rapper come to the White House because you like their music (and Common is pretty tame relative to most rap) is a still different thing. Really, it just sounds like you're making a pretty lame "what about" argument.

What do rappers even have to do with a guy running for president, who's now the president? If Trump had been a rapper who said things that rappers frequently say in their music, it's one thing. Having a rapper come to the White House because you like their music (and Common is pretty tame relative to most rap) is a still different thing. Really, it just sounds like you're making a pretty lame "what about" argument.

1. Because when he was recorded, he was a politician.

2. Far worse things are said and done by politicians daily.

3. Young individuals try to emulate the actions of those they idolize. (Sports figures and entertainers)

Did you see anyone recording artist with a depiction on the previous POTUS corpse on their cover? Nope. These individuals (liberals) talk about tolerance but yet are the largest hypocrites.

Since they like to be heard, I will oblige in rustling their jimmies.

Absolutely.... you are correct. My post was directly referencing the idiots at GQ ( who would definitely be on the left) for their embarrassing selection of Citizen of the Year. I know they do not speak for all liberals.
If there were a few who didn't "understand" the post.....they have a reading comprehension problem.

Amy, I don't know about reading comprehension problem bc in your post all you do is say the liberals have lost their freaking minds. To me that reads that GQ is a definitive authority on liberal viewpoint - like they are speaking for the liberals. But, given the brevity in your post I certainly can understand that you were meaning something else than what was simply stated.

@camcgee Cam, I probably agree with you more than I disagree with you here. I certainly would not have chosen them as my person of the year either. However, I highly suspect they were pandering to their base which is no more or no less than any magazine would do to try and survive these days. Hey, it got people talking and I bet many liberals went out and picked it up to read all the hoopla. That is what they wanted. It was a good business move by them plain and simple.

3. Young individuals try to emulate the actions of those they idolize. (Sports figures and entertainers)

Did you see anyone recording artist with a depiction on the previous POTUS corpse on their cover? Nope. These individuals (liberals) talk about tolerance but yet are the largest hypocrites.

What is wrong with them having an opinion and speaking their mind? Did you get upset when Ted Nugent, Kid Rock and Hank Jr (especially him), disparaged Obama? My guess is you said "Way to go Hank!". And that is ok. There is nothing wrong with that. Just dont knock one group when your group does the exact same thing.

Amy, I don't know about reading comprehension problem bc in your post all you do is say the liberals have lost their freaking minds. To me that reads that GQ is a definitive authority on liberal viewpoint - like they are speaking for the liberals. But, given the brevity in your post I certainly can understand that you were meaning something else than what was simply stated.

@camcgee Cam, I probably agree with you more than I disagree with you here. I certainly would not have chosen them as my person of the year either. However, I highly suspect they were pandering to their base which is no more or no less than any magazine would do to try and survive these days. Hey, it got people talking and I bet many liberals went out and picked it up to read all the hoopla. That is what they wanted. It was a good business move by them plain and simple.

Ok.... Obviously it was the liberals at GQ who selected their very disappointing recipient for Citizen of the Year. Not the liberals all over the country. Therefore.... the libs at GQ have lost their freaking minds, imo. ( and anyone else who agrees with the cover)
Not that most give a damn what GQ thinks. Just indicative of their agenda being stuffed down our throats and honoring a punk who doesn't deserve one second more of publicity. It just rubbed me the wrong way. Hope I cleared that up....

Reactions: andcam
Ok.... Obviously it was the liberals at GQ who selected their very disappointing recipient for Citizen of the Year. Not the liberals all over the country. Therefore.... the libs at GQ have lost their freaking minds, imo. ( and anyone else who agrees with the cover)
Not that most give a damn what GQ thinks. Just indicative of their agenda being stuffed down our throats and honoring a punk who doesn't deserve one second more of publicity. It just rubbed me the wrong way. Hope I cleared that up....

:) Thanks! I totally agree that he does not deserve the title "Citizen of the Year". Being completely candid, I think the guy hurt his cause more than he helped it by his actions. I do believe many people would agree that there are some systemic issues with police and their treatment of minorities, especially in certain cities/areas. But he just destroyed the opportunity to make that an issue that most could or would get behind by the way he went about promoting it. It was truly a shame that he hurt his cause more than he helped it.

Reactions: amynhop

Reading comprehension is horrible these days.

To answer your first question, what was Clinton doing when he was in the White House, he was embarrassing himself and the entire country with his less than Presidential behavior. I just don't remember trying to justify it with what a rapper or someone less than the leader of the free world was doing.

My response didn't criticize Trump or Snoop for that matter. My criticism was for people that will say anything to defend their guy/gal instead of addressing what they did. Comparing someone running for PRESIDENT and their behavior to someone in an industry where acting beneath the norms of society is sometimes rewarded.....my comment is abcriticism of the morons making the comparison. All Trump did was make a statement that wasn't a very good look for someone trying to represent an entire nation. Say something like well he didn't mean it that way, or it was locker room talk. That's way better than, well look what rappers say. Other entertainers do it. What about athletes. They say bad stuff too. See how stupid all that sounds?

:) Thanks! I totally agree that he does not deserve the title "Citizen of the Year". Being completely candid, I think the guy hurt his cause more than he helped it by his actions. I do believe many people would agree that there are some systemic issues with police and their treatment of minorities, especially in certain cities/areas. But he just destroyed the opportunity to make that an issue that most could or would get behind by the way he went about promoting it. It was truly a shame that he hurt his cause more than he helped it.

Serious question. How can anything he's done ruin the opportunity to get behind the issue? No matter how he promotes it either you believe it's an issue or not. If the devil himself made me aware of something that I believe is legit, him wearing certain socks to promote it doesn't change what he brought to my attention. That's just stupid. I'd rather people say i don't believe you.

People would support him if not for the stuff he does always gets me. The things he's claiming to want to change are effecting tons of average citizens not named Kaep so he himself wearing a certain shirt or socks shouldn't make people not want to address those issues. You see how that sounds like a tremendous cop out? I had his back but he's disrespecting the flag. Screw the flag for just a second. Are people dieing that shouldn't be? The flag will be fine. Let's see if these people need help. I got news for you. No one can hurt my flag. No matter how much people burn that piece of cloth or refuse to stand or look at it, etc that flag is bigger than all of that. They are wasting their time. People tho. They are real and live and die. Let's see if we can help them. Let's see if a problem exists and how we can help.

Serious question. How can anything he's done ruin the opportunity to get behind the issue? No matter how he promotes it either you believe it's an issue or not. If the devil himself made me aware of something that I believe is legit, him wearing certain socks to promote it doesn't change what he brought to my attention. That's just stupid. I'd rather people say i don't believe you.

People would support him if not for the stuff he does always gets me. The things he's claiming to want to change are effecting tons of average citizens not named Kaep so he himself wearing a certain shirt or socks shouldn't make people not want to address those issues. You see how that sounds like a tremendous cop out? I had his back but he's disrespecting the flag. Screw the flag for just a second. Are people dieing that shouldn't be? The flag will be fine. Let's see if these people need help. I got news for you. No one can hurt my flag. No matter how much people burn that piece of cloth or refuse to stand or look at it, etc that flag is bigger than all of that. They are wasting their time. People tho. They are real and live and die. Let's see if we can help them. Let's see if a problem exists and how we can help.

I am not sure if you are paying attention to politics these days but people are so tribal that they turn off anything good, bad or indifferent you have to say if you are not of their tribe. When the political right determined that he disrespected the flag, anything he was for or against died with him in their eyes. Then you add on to it that the moderates (my grouping) did not like his stunt either. Now you have maybe 2/3 of the country against you. It is no wonder any NFL team will pick him up. So, to most of us he has lost his moral ground to speak on the very serious matter of racism in the police forces across the country. There is no doubt that this is a problem. But when you have someone as toxic as Kaep as the spokesperson for this cause, it cannot be good for it.

I am not sure if you are paying attention to politics these days but people are so tribal that they turn off anything good, bad or indifferent you have to say if you are not of their tribe. When the political right determined that he disrespected the flag, anything he was for or against died with him in their eyes. Then you add on to it that the moderates (my grouping) did not like his stunt either. Now you have maybe 2/3 of the country against you. It is no wonder any NFL team will pick him up. So, to most of us he has lost his moral ground to speak on the very serious matter of racism in the police forces across the country. There is no doubt that this is a problem. But when you have someone as toxic as Kaep as the spokesperson for this cause, it cannot be good for it.

Call it tribal. You're right. I'm calling it stupid, ignorant and disingenuous. I contend they really don't care about the "very serious matter of racism". That's a joke. I can choose not to listen to him. If the worse person you can think of tried to champion a cause you believed in would it effect that cause? No it wouldn't. So if 2/3 of the country is against him then 2/3 is now not trying to hear anything about his cause? That's basically what you said. Not disagreeing with you because that speaks to the stupidity of people I'm claiming. Before Kaep ever opened his mouth most didn't give a damn and now since a bad guy opened his mouth people have a reason to point to why they continue to ignore the "very serious matter of racism". See what I did there? Also, if the majority actually believed it was a problem Kaep would've never had to resort to sitting then kneeling.

Call it tribal. You're right. I'm calling it stupid, ignorant and disingenuous. I contend they really don't care about the "very serious matter of racism". That's a joke. I can choose not to listen to him. If the worse person you can think of tried to champion a cause you believed in would it effect that cause? No it wouldn't. So if 2/3 of the country is against him then 2/3 is now not trying to hear anything about his cause? That's basically what you said. Not disagreeing with you because that speaks to the stupidity of people I'm claiming. Before Kaep ever opened his mouth most didn't give a damn and now since a bad guy opened his mouth people have a reason to point to why they continue to ignore the "very serious matter of racism". See what I did there? Also, if the majority actually believed it was a problem Kaep would've never had to resort to sitting then kneeling.

I think there was a lot of press about police shootings prior to Kaepernick. It had been discussed quite a bit.

As I indicated above, today people ignore stuff outside their tribe and in most cases oppose anything from the other tribe, often even when the item has merit. It is a terrible terrible problem in this country. I blame it heavily on the cable shows and social media in they have demonized the other group/tribe. Ergo, if something is important to minorities, for example, it will be opposed as a matter of rule by the conservatives. And this works the other way too. Tribal partisanship is a threat to the country. If we don’t learn to talk to the other side we are gonna really struggle horribly going forward. It is very sad.

If you want to associate yourself with one of the worst groups of people in the history of mankind then I’ll oblige in treating you like the POS you are. IDC what you’ve done or how many there are.
I agree. But my point is we give those losers want they want: attention. Unless I'm just naive, there doesn't seem to be too many of them around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT