ADVERTISEMENT

Herd immunity? Good news!!!

If that's the case, what is the long term plan? Do we finally accept that the virus is never going away?

Short term, everyone should wear masks. Long term, you get everyone vaccinated. Vaccines provide levels of antibodies that far exceed the level you get when you catch the disease.

Additionally, as the article suggests, there are multiple types of immunity. Early reports regarding the Oxford vaccine are quite positive in that it may provide both T cell immunity and antibody immunity: https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/o...s-suggest-double-protection-from-coronavirus/

Progress on this vaccine has been quite good so far and numerous other vaccines from Moderna, Pfizer, J&J all seem promising as well.

Short term, everyone should wear masks. Long term, you get everyone vaccinated. Vaccines provide levels of antibodies that far exceed the level you get when you catch the disease.

Additionally, as the article suggests, there are multiple types of immunity. Early reports regarding the Oxford vaccine are quite positive in that it may provide both T cell immunity and antibody immunity: https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/o...s-suggest-double-protection-from-coronavirus/

Progress on this vaccine has been quite good so far and numerous other vaccines from Moderna, Pfizer, J&J all seem promising as well.
Which one of the 20-30 mutations are they gonna target?

Let's hope they are more accurate than the 'guesses' on strains of Flu.

Just like the SARS vaccine, right?

giphy.gif

Key quote from the article:

"Whether that means they’re at risk of reinfection? That remains a possibility,” he said.

Aka they are just throwing fear out there and hoping it sticks. If there were ppl out there who have been re-infected we would be hearing about it every second of the day, and we are well past the 100 day mark.

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
Key quote from the article:

"Whether that means they’re at risk of reinfection? That remains a possibility,” he said.

Aka they are just throwing fear out there and hoping it sticks. If there were ppl out there who have been re-infected we would be hearing about it every second of the day, and we are well past the 100 day mark.

There are reports of reinfection from SK and China

https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus-immunity-reinfection#2

Using NYC as an example is just ignorant.

I rarely see anyone in NYC not wearing a mask. The hospitals take COVID very seriously. Essentially every indoor activity is banned. For the most part, people in NYC take the virus seriously as they remember constant ambulance sirens. Not only do most people wear masks, over the half the runners and bikers I've seen wear them too.

Even with all of that, there are still ~500 to 600 cases in the city every day.

I highly highly doubt the entire country wants to live like those in NYC do right now. Vaccines are likely the answer.

There's also 8.4 million people in NYC. For heard immunity at 20% that would mean 1.6 million+ people infected. The entire state of NY has only reported 433,000 infected.
And we know that over 85%of people are asymptomatic probably more.
433,000/.15=2,886,666
New Yorks state pop is 19.85M
2886666/19,850,000=14.5%
Solidly in the 10-20%range from Ops post

Using NYC as an example is just ignorant.

I rarely see anyone in NYC not wearing a mask. The hospitals take COVID very seriously. Essentially every indoor activity is banned. For the most part, people in NYC take the virus seriously as they remember constant ambulance sirens. Not only do most people wear masks, over the half the runners and bikers I've seen wear them too.

Even with all of that, there are still ~500 to 600 cases in the city every day.

I highly highly doubt the entire country wants to live like those in NYC do right now. Vaccines are likely the answer.

NY is doing that now because they absolutely shit the bad out of the gate and are one of the reasons for the fear

I’ve been hearing the 20% number for a while from a minority in the scientific community.

it’s not 0 New infections yet but at the 20% infection rate the virus has a much harder time spreading and infecting people if good social distancing is also being practiced and spread slows dramatically and it begins to burn out.

Let’s hope and pray this holds true outside of NY.

Reactions: TM2013
You guys carry on with your head in the sand. No wonder we are the worst country in the world at handling this. We made it political, and once it got there the deniers are going down with the ship. Kind of appropriate given our Presidents attitude.

A vaccine can’t come soon enough, except then we have to start dealing with the anti-Vaccine crowd, which is even worse. Embarrassing...

Perfect post.

Regeneron’s antibody cocktail will help too.

If people are diligent, then we will beat this thing. Unfortunately, many seem to be unwilling to stay vigilant for a short time.

And we know that over 85%of people are asymptomatic probably more.
433,000/.15=2,886,666
New Yorks state pop is 19.85M
2886666/19,850,000=14.5%
Solidly in the 10-20%range from Ops post
LOL...so you base this all on assumptions that are not known. Makes sense with all the garbage I have seen on here for months now. Ranks right up there with “Maybe this goes away with heat and light. It seems like that’s the case,” the president speculated. “I think a lot of people are going to go outside all of a sudden.”

Reactions: scullman
Good Lord... you still believe 140k deaths were all Covid 19.

Lol
Actually, no, I believe the number is significantly higher than that. Just look at the study by Yale and see that there were 122,000 more deaths thru May 30th than normal. Only 95,000had been attributed to Covid-19 by May 30th. You and the rest of your Trump loving ostriches can keep your head in the sand as the numbers continue to grow rapidly. Every time you're proven wrong, another excuse pops up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT