ADVERTISEMENT

Highest poverty rate by state - what do they have in common?

Really? I will. Let’s start with LBJ, Jesse Jackson, and Sharpton.
So it's your contention that the 10 poorest states in the former Confederacy are that way because of Lyndon Johnson, Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton, rather than their decades long republican majority & super majority legislatures?

What's ironic is if you dive into those numbers more (you won't) its the large population centers in those states that are ran by democrats. Almost every one of those states largest cities are ran by democrats.

@okclem
@PrimeIsGettingComfortable

Oh the irony.
Lol. You guys continue to own yourselves. The rural areas are the poorest. So as bad as the cities might be in those states, they are still in better shape than the rural communities.

Below is your data. How else are you looking to make a fool of yourself today?

According to the most recent estimates from the 2019 American Community Survey (ACS), the nonmetro poverty rate was 15.4 percent in 2019, compared with 11.9 percent for metro areas. Nonmetro poverty fell 3.0 percentage points from 2013, when it reached its 30-year peak of 18.4 percent. Metro poverty rates declined at a higher rate between 2013 and 2019, causing an increase in the metro-nonmetro poverty rate gap, which was 3.5 percentage points in 2019.

So it's your contention that the 10 poorest states in the former Confederacy are that way because of Lyndon Johnson, Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton, rather than their decades long republican majority & super majority legislatures?
Yeah, apparently they exclusively focused their efforts on those states in the Deep South and ignored anything at the national level or in northern or western states.

Reactions: okclem
Yup. Hard to argue that the most conservative states also are the poorest, least educated, and most violent.

There is a reason why they hate data.

Do you see any county-level correlation here?

2020 Election Results:

2020_Election_Results_Map_by_County.png

Homicide Rates:

xl23t365qub41.png

Been a trend for a while:

map-crime-election.jpg

Lol, then why don’t you see the same in blue counties in blue states?

Looks like there is correlation there as well per the maps I posted above (on overall crime, homicide seems to be much more highly correlated to blue counties in the south). You should dig more deeply into the data, but it's clear the blue counties are a major major problem.

Lol, I totally get this sentiment. The main reason people have moved to the south was because it’s cheap. And people who move somewhere because it’s cheap tend to not be the best kind of neighbors.

My next door neighbor is about to sell his lot (just the lot, no house) for between $3-4M. It's not necessarily cheap to live in the south. Plenty of people with means moving to my area.

Reactions: metiger01
Looks like there is correlation there as well per the maps I posted above (on overall crime, homicide seems to be much more highly correlated to blue counties in the south). You should dig more deeply into the data, but it's clear the blue counties are a major major problem.
Your maps are a weak attempt. High homicide rates are most prevalent in the south. Cool, you are proving my point.

Then you are also showing a map from 2013, which is the tail-end of the deepest economic crisis in 50+ years. Cherry pick much?

My next door neighbor is about to sell his lot (just the lot, no house) for between $3-4M. It's not necessarily cheap to live in the south. Plenty of people with means moving to my area.
How big is the lot? (Or where the hell do you live?)

Your maps are a weak attempt. High homicide rates are most prevalent in the south. Cool, you are proving my point.

Then you are also showing a map from 2013, which is the tail-end of the deepest economic crisis in 50+ years. Cherry pick much?

Correction: High homicide rates are most prevalent in democrat counties in the south.

That was a follow-up map to show trend. The homicide map is more recent to align with 2020 election results. Do you think the trend has changed much? Those counties are still some of the most violent in the country. And they are solidly blue.

Why do you think people in blue counties in the south murder people at such a higher rate? I don't think that's a contested fact here.

You are in Charleston, correct? Yes, I know a few retirees from wall st who have decided to spend part of the year there. They can buy property they would not be able to buy in The Hamptons.

What do you mean by that?
Typically those aren’t the type who are bringing in disposable income, or economic opportunities to help elevate the economy of where they are moving.

Perhaps I worded it too harshly. They may be fine people who are considerate and good neighbors, but economically won’t have the impact of someone who is bringing jobs to the area or spending significant sums which funds things like restaurants, the arts, schools, roads, etc.

Correction: High homicide rates are most prevalent in democrat counties in the south.

That was a follow-up map to show trend. The homicide map is more recent to align with 2020 election results. Do you think the trend has changed much? Those counties are still some of the most violent in the country. And they are solidly blue.

Why do you think people in blue counties in the south murder people at such a higher rate? I don't think that's a contested fact here.
You will say it’s culture, and I will say it’s poverty rates and lax gun laws. Then we will go back and forth for 10-20 replies arguing.

Why are Southern states economically depressed compared to Coastal and Northern states? Education spending. Plain and simple. If you want to grow your economy; if you want to lift people out of poverty; if you want to attract workers from other regions of the nation, spend more money to improve your schools (K-through public universities).

But go ahead and blame LBJ for passing the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Sheesh.

The south is a terrible place to live. Don't move down here. ITS AWFUL!!!!
Like Trump once said while mocking Rob DeSanctimonious...it's hard to screw up sunny skies, beaches, and no winter.

I love my south, but we'd be screwed without the good weather and ocean.

This isn’t even a dog whistle, it’s full-blown racist bullshit. I’d have more respect for you if you just owned up to being a racist vs denying and trying to rationaliz
This isn’t even a dog whistle, it’s full-blown racist bullshit. I’d have more respect for you if you just owned up to being a racist vs denying and trying to rationalize.
I’m not even close to being a racist. You are missing the point.

This isn’t even a dog whistle, it’s full-blown racist bullshit. I’d have more respect for you if you just owned up to being a racist vs denying and trying to rationalize.
100% agree. I actually have a sliver of respect, in a very perverse way, for Nick Fuentes and his little faction because they own what they are. They don't try to deny it. Magas want to be allowed their unfettered racism without acknowledging that it's racist.

Reactions: flotiger
What's ironic is if you dive into those numbers more (you won't) its the large population centers in those states that are ran by democrats. Almost EVERY SINGLE one of those states largest cities are ran by democrats.

@okclem
@PrimeIsGettingComfortable

Oh the irony.
The Democrats concentrated in any particular urban center do not have control over state legislation. The state legislative body in all those states is at least majority republican.

I know none of that will make any difference to a racist shitbag like you though. It comes with the territory.

Reactions: flotiger
The Democrats concentrated in any particular urban center do not have control over state legislation. The state legislative body in all those states is at least majority republican.

I know none of that will make any difference to a racist shitbag like you though. It comes with the territory.
Oh wow. Racist shit bag? I've clearly struck a nerve. Not sure anything i've said would make you think im racist. Shit bag? Maybe. Keep swinging bro.

Lets also be honest, when someone randomly throws out the race card thats often a sign you have lost your argument.

@okclem outside of making you look foolish, what led you to call me a racist? Or is that you just admitting you lost your argument?

Oh wow. Racist shit bag? I've clearly struck a nerve. Not sure anything i've said would make you think im racist. Shit bag? Maybe. Keep swinging bro.

Lets also be honest, when someone randomly throws out the race card thats often a sign you have lost your argument.
Maga mentality - say a bunch of racist stuff then get offended when called a racist.

Reactions: okclem
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT