ADVERTISEMENT

HOLY SHVT, MARIA TAYLOR JUST SAID THAT IF TONY ELLIOT WERE WHITE

Truth. It's tough to find, and you have to look hard and be willing to learn the argument to your initial beliefs, but you have to work for it. 2020 and the populace is selfish...lazy....and SCARED. I love that those screaming loudest and using violence to state their opinions get wrist slapped. And if you don't agree you're a Racist. Funny... that's the most overused and misunderstood word in our vocabulary today.... but most wouldn't understand why I say that. Sad.

I'm in no way saying her comments about Tony are accurate, but to your point only 13 of 130 head coaches in D1 football are black.
And to your point, the number of head coaches is directly proportionate to the number of overall coaches. Whipping out that spin machine I see.
Also, there would be more if the results matched the pay. This is a results driven industry 100%. Perform and yield results and the color of your skin has 0 bearing

Well look at the number of black head coaches in D1 football. Is there a major discrepancy considering the % of black players out there? Yes there is. And I do realize the TE would be a HC if he felt he was totally ready previously which Taylor probably has no idea about.

It's not that blacks were not given opportunities in the last several years. They were. Many just were not successful. And I believe that the number of opportunities will continue to rise.

People are just too concerned about the past and neglect to appreciate the present and the future. Are things perfect? No. Rectifying any injustices of the past are best accomplished and reconciled by cutting a path in the present and future, not going back to the past and saying what if!!!

I know what she’s trying to say here, but the fact that TEs colleague (BV) is the best in the country at what he does (more so than TE, though I do believe TE would be a better head coach), is a white man, and is experiencing the same phenomenon of not getting offers left and right kinda dampens her argument.

Reactions: harristeeter
Statistically speaking, there are a good amount of black coaches out there that aren’t getting the big calls.
You don’t think there aren’t a good amount, a lot more in fact, white coaches that aren’t getting the big calls also?

Well look at the number of black NBA players. Is there a major discrepancy considering the % of white players out there? Yes there is.

But that doesn't bother anyone does it? How about hire the right guy regardless of the color of his skin either way.
I absolutely agree to hire the right guy, but are some of the "right guys" even getting an opportunity to interview? There are only 2 black HC's out of 38 positions in the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 all conferences located in the south and southwest.

I find it ironic that Tony was hired by Dabo and promoted by Dabo without really having the experience or credentials for the job at the time. So not only was Tony not discriminated against here at Clemson (not the subject, I know that), but he actually rose faster than 99% of white coaches with his same credentials. I don’t know the percentage but the point is made that Tony’s progression has far outpaced the norm.

Why not focus on Tony as an example of a huge success story of a young, smart, black man who beat the odds and helped elevate a relatively small southern school to the top of college football? Or mention that his salary is one of the highest in the country at his position? That doesn’t fit the narrative either I guess..

And focus on the fact that Tony is deliberate and patient and doesn’t really throw himself out there for head coaching jobs. He has said he’d rather build his resume and gain experience and when the right opportunity comes then he’ll look at it.

But because he’s black, another media liberal has a microphone and molds an opposite narrative to the truth so all the emotional-reacting-liberals can jump on the runaway train and claim racism.

And anybody that questions the facts or knows the truth must be racist, right? THAT is what is complete bullshit with what’s going on with this entire movement right now and it really sucks for non-racist people of all colors and the future of our country which is actually being divided further and is not coming together.
This is a mature well thought out post. Well done.

Would you like a college version of the Rooney Rule? Perfectly fine if your answer is “yes”, but then I’d have to ask: do you think the Rooney Rule is effective at putting minorities in leadership positions In the NFL?
No I don't want a college version of the Rooney Rule.

Last edited:
Well, FSU did try.... maybe too hard.

Tony Elliott will make a great HBC one day because of his character and his decision to study and develop under a great leader. Tony is made of the right stuff and I think he can lead men. He could have already had a head coaching position if he thought it was right for Tony. He is smarter than the average bear (and Maria Taylor).

Being a head coach is a different skillset than what it takes to be a good player. It’s a different skillset than being a good coordinator. You can be a good player or technician without being a good leader, manager, visionary and CEO. Most players are not. Most people are not.

Likewise, the best technical minds that make great tech companies go, are horrible leaders and managers. TRUTH.
All very good points.

Tony will be a better head coach than Jeff...

But if he was white he would have had better opportunities presented no doubt.

If you take the number of white and black players and then look at the number same number of white and black coaches it is a huge discrepancy..

Reactions: sgough
Tired of what? You have been oppressing people since 1619. Now blacks are asserting themselves for the first time in history and you are tired already.

constantly claiming victim status isn’t asserting oneself. The truth is black people have been asserting themselves in more than productive ways, in incredibly significant ways for generations. Stop the emotional manipulation about a past no one can change and let’s all make a better future.

I was told from someone high up in the program that South Florida knew they wanted to pursue one of the Clemson OCs and chose Scott over Elliott specifically because he was white. The USF AD allegedly said they didn’t go with TE because “we already tried someone like him.”
I have to disagree with that. They chose Jeff over Tony primarily because he has such strong recruiting ties to that area, his Dad went to the school, plus they knew they’d be getting his Dad too, who also has strong recruiting inroads. I believe that if Tony had those same ties to the school he would have been offered the job.

Reactions: harristeeter
Honestly she’s absolutely right. I have it on good authority that Georgia Tech contacted TE’s agent about becoming head coach there a couple of years ago, but when doing background research they saw his pic on his twitter and immediately rescinded the offer.

If Dabo truly cared about his players and the heroic #BLM movement, he would resign and step aside so TE could take the job.
My wife is very sarcastic as well.

If you take the number of white and black players and then look at the number same number of white and black coaches it is a huge discrepancy..

I have become more aware of the discrepancies between races the past few months. As such, I do I agree with you and Maria Taylor. The protests are simply about treating everyone the same as currently they are not. I guess that makes me a left wing liberal? Then so be it.

Trivia question....What do Maria Taylor and the Scarecrow have in common?

Last edited:
I have become more aware of the discrepancies between races the past few months. As such, I do I agree with you and Maria Taylor. The protests are simply about treating everyone the same as currently they are not. I guess that makes me a left wing liberal? Then so be it.

Honestly I'm a conservative. I do struggle with some of the protest.

But... There are problems in our society and to deny is to be blind.

Honestly I think the biggest problem is people hire who they know. If a man gets a head coaching job he doesn't open up a search to tge entire country he hires who he had coached with before. It starts at the H S level and I would guess there are a lot more black HCs today than 15 years ago. Old men are still primarily making these decisions and they know what they know. It is the same with USSoccer taking time to explode. 22 years ago I told people it will take another 20 years until people that grew up around the game have money. Than US soccer will grow. You start to see kids like KJ Henry whose dad is a college coach, and you realize if he chooses that path then he will have more opportunities but an opportunity is just that and then you have to run with it. Tony Elliot is a beneficiary of Dabo knowing him and trusting him when no other major college team would have given him a sniff. It is good to know people and life long, life changing connections take time.
Another point happens to be an education requirement. That's why Dabo's/Clemson's hollistic program to get a degree is so important. You can't coach high school football until you are a teacher. You can't be a teacher until you have a degree. You can't coach college football until you have a degree.

Athletes and non-athletes need to
GET THEIR DEGREES!

HE WOULD BE GETTING HEAD COACHING JOBS “DROPPED AT HIS FEET”. WTF IS GOING ON IN THIS COUNTRY?!!

Meh, She is the same person that tried to create an issue with Kelly Bryant losing the QB1 job. TE has been offered opportunities.

I read a lot of dumb shit on this board, but this takes the cake.

I think the per cent is off but the statement is dead on

Blacks are being driven by false narratives and contrived crisis to keep White Power in certain elitist groups such as the Clintons and others like them

Wake up Black America if you really want a better life as a group

Meh, She is the same person that tried to create an issue with Kelly Bryant losing the QB1 job. TE has been offered opportunities.

let’s pose the question if Maria Taylor was white and blond

Well that would be one dumb white blond

Used meat that looks and tastes good without nutritional value

There are all kinds of discrepancies between whites and blacks. Picking 1 statistical fact like you did and drawing such a conclusion is a reach and doesn’t mean it’s racism. I could add multiple metrics to shave down your simple-minded conclusion. For example, how many of the players got into coaching? How many are coaching at Power 5 schools vs non-power 5? How many of the coaches actually applied or put themselves out there for a head coaching job? How many had graduate degrees? How many coaches under Saban vs Les Miles? I could go on and on.

Quit being so simple that you can’t see the forest for the trees.

Well look at the number of black head coaches in D1 football. Is there a major discrepancy considering the % of black players out there? Yes there is. And I do realize the TE would be a HC if he felt he was totally ready previously which Taylor probably has no idea about.
Well now, if you turn that around, couldn't white people argue that their kids are being discriminated against for football scholarships since they are being given to black athletes at a much higher rate that is very disproportionate in relation to the percentages of society both races make up...

Reactions: Trading Tiger
I don't even know why I am responding to you but ... do you believe that the hiring practices of college football programs have been totally fair and balanced with no discrimination in regards to minority hiring practices for head coaching positions?
Similar to the police reform thread, I had this really long post which explained everything in a way that even a 5 year old could understand. But then I deleted it before posting.

The short version of that post is, no. The hiring practices have not always been fair, but who the hell told you that life was supposed to be fair in the first place? That's just silly. So do me a favor, find that person and give 'em a swift kick in the nuts for me.

But those days are long gone. In the last 38 years (my lifetime), they've absolutely been fair. I believe that KKK University would hire a black coach if he proved to them that he would win.

That's all that matters in sports. Winning.

Well now, if you turn that around, couldn't white people argue that their kids are being discriminated against for football scholarships since they are being given to black athletes at a much higher rate that is very disproportionate in relation to the percentages of society both races make up...
No you couldn't. Typical response from you.

Similar to the police reform thread, I had this really long post which explained everything in a way that even a 5 year old could understand. But then I deleted it before posting.

The short version of that post is, no. The hiring practices have not always been fair, but who the hell told you that life was supposed to be fair in the first place? That's just silly. So do me a favor, find that person and give 'em a swift kick in the nuts for me.

But those days are long gone. In the last 38 years (my lifetime), they've absolutely been fair. I believe that KKK University would hire a black coach if he proved to them that he would win.

That's all that matters in sports. Winning.
I don't think those days are long gone totally because there are still some good ole boys among the members of those BOT's in my opinion. But yeah life is not always fair and things have gotten better, and they will continue to get better.

I think the per cent is off but the statement is dead on

Blacks are being driven by false narratives and contrived crisis to keep White Power in certain elitist groups such as the Clintons and others like them

Wake up Black America if you really want a better life as a group

Lol. You’re absolutely clueless.

Reactions: JAMCRACKER99
There are all kinds of discrepancies between whites and blacks. Picking 1 statistical fact like you did and drawing such a conclusion is a reach and doesn’t mean it’s racism. I could add multiple metrics to shave down your simple-minded conclusion. For example, how many of the players got into coaching? How many are coaching at Power 5 schools vs non-power 5? How many of the coaches actually applied or put themselves out there for a head coaching job? How many had graduate degrees? How many coaches under Saban vs Les Miles? I could go on and on.

Quit being so simple that you can’t see the forest for the trees.

It is not simple and to say it is shows you have zero grasp of the issue..

This has been an issue at every level of Football.

There is a reason that the NFL had to create the Rooney rule.

I don't think those days are long gone totally because there are still some good ole boys among the members of those BOT's in my opinion. But yeah life is not always fair and things have gotten better, and they will continue to get better.
Well, they won't ever be totally gone until black people stop being racist, and that's not likely to happen.

Reactions: PalmettoTiger1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT