ADVERTISEMENT

How many sheep are still buying global warming?

I don't detect a lot of objective thinking going on by the "scientists say it so it MUST be true" crowd when it comes to man made global warming. Do humans impact the earth's climate? No doubt, but so do trees, earth worms and aardvarks. Every living thing on the planet does and always has.
But trees , aardvarks and earth worms don't burn fossil fuel in huge quantities to generate electricity.

I wasn't back on TI yesterday and i really don't have the time to enter into an ongoing debate.

My point was this: the "science" of climate change is far from settled. The very essence of the scientific method is hypothesis, experimentation, analyzing and conclusion. The continued study of climate has become muddied with money and politics as to taint many of the studies. The studies that confirm the governemnet's position get the money. The studies that do not, get no money. Not to mention the fact that public shaming and name calling have entered into the "debate." Just witness this thread for a portion of that.

So if the earth is warming or cooling, so what? Its millions/billions of years old. It goes through natural cooling and warming periods. I don't buy that humans can have that big of an effect on the planet that has been here for that long a time.

If you can answer one question for me though: What exactly is the earth's correct temperature? What is "normal?"

I'll hang up and listen.

The science is quite settled that the planet is warming. No doubt on that and many many many organizations independent of the govt and even independent of the United States have settled that score already. It is getting warmer whether you or I like it or not. And it really is not a very hard thing to understand that it is getting warmer. You look at temps and compare it to previous temps. Anybody who can read a line graph or even compare two linear numbers on a greater than, less than basis can do that.....in other words, most 2nd graders can see that the planet is getting warmer when they are presented with the temp data in a chart. There is no debate. It is just raw data. Easy as Pie. I don't need grant money to say that. You dont need grant money to not say it. Just check the data. No interpretation required. Really. It is that simple. I promise.

It is funny that you talk about Climate change being all about politics, btw. NASA is a non political entity. Their director is required to have no political affiliations. None of its funding is dependent on it saying climate change is happening or not. None. Not one cent. NASA also has national and international credibility when it comes to science. So when NASA says the Earth is warming and bad stuff is happening you might want to listen .....for your own good. But it is not just NASA: Last I checked over 400 International organizations have corroborated that the earth is warming and an International Coalition of countries with diverse political leanings came to the conclusion that man is contributing to it. This is bigger than some guy in a lab at the Univ of MI whose grant is controlled by someone at the EPA funding Climate research saying it is happening. Furthermore, just so you know, the Federal govt does not write grants conditioned on someone saying Climate change is happening. The federal govt does not write grants that way. They just dont. But it sure sounds good to think it, though.

I listed Florida earlier as a place to go start asking about Climate change. Many of their mayors are GOP and many have been skeptical of Climate change......until just the last few years!! Something odd has been happening the last 15 years in Florida: the sea is rising and encroaching on the low lying areas. The mayors are feeling it firsthand. Why? Because they are the ones having to help find the money for new sea walls to protect critical infrastructure along with investments made by their citizens. Close to 200 Billion has already been spent in the EU to offset rising global waters especially in the low lying areas such as Holland, parts of Belgium, Italy and Norway. Are they spending that money bc they are dumb or foolish or because the are tied up with liberal politics? No. They are spending it because they are suffering from rising sea levels, new flooding and more severe storms. These ppl are simply reacting to reality, not playing politics.

So, again, it is not up for me to convince you that the science is real. I only have to point to the thermometers which show, on average, rising temps and those temp level increases correspond perfectly to higher levels of carbon in the atmosphere. But even if Carbon is not the cause of it....it still must be dealt with because it is having far more impact than some dying polar bears. I only wish it was just dying polar bears when you consider that over the last 20 years areas the size of the state of Nevada (and some larger) in the ocean are completely dying out entirely....which, again, can be linked to rising temps and sea levels. As those areas of death grow. fishing stocks will go down,food prices will rise and more people will grow hungry.

Now, to answer your question about the ideal earth temp. The average it has increased between 1905 and 2005 is about .8 degrees celsius. The humans and the lifeforms that currently inhabit the planet would be best served if the average temp would go back to the 1905 levels. Unfortunately, it appears that the average temp will probably rise another .5 or so within the next 30 to 40 years (probably a lot higher than that actually) and more severe weather patterns will happen, more flooding of coastal zones will happen and ocean dead spots and so on will most likely grow exponentially.

Reactions: flotiger
There’s a difference between climate and temporary weather patterns. The warming of the earth is scientifically documented, with degrees added to the average global temperature over the last century. 16 of the hottest 17 years on record have occurred since 2001. Given, this record is only about 150 years old, but the trend remains.

The poster above is right, in that fluctuations in the average temperature causes erratic weather patterns, such as the cold stretch this winter for the south. The number of violent storms experienced this past summer are also signs of general warming trends. Someone could easily turn this around and ask about the American West, which is currently having one of its warmest and driest winters in a long time.

Global warming is happening. That is not up for debate. The debate is whether or not humans are contributing to climate change, or is the earth simply going through a warming spell that will eventually smooth out.

Fig.A2.gif
This is 98% BS. Don't fall for it...

The science is quite settled that the planet is warming. No doubt on that and many many many organizations independent of the govt and even independent of the United States have settled that score already. It is getting warmer whether you or I like it or not. And it really is not a very hard thing to understand that it is getting warmer. You look at temps and compare it to previous temps. Anybody who can read a line graph or even compare two linear numbers on a greater than, less than basis can do that.....in other words, most 2nd graders can see that the planet is getting warmer when they are presented with the temp data in a chart. There is no debate. It is just raw data. Easy as Pie. I don't need grant money to say that. You dont need grant money to not say it. Just check the data. No interpretation required. Really. It is that simple. I promise.

It is funny that you talk about Climate change being all about politics, btw. NASA is a non political entity. Their director is required to have no political affiliations. None of its funding is dependent on it saying climate change is happening or not. None. Not one cent. NASA also has national and international credibility when it comes to science. So when NASA says the Earth is warming and bad stuff is happening you might want to listen .....for your own good. But it is not just NASA: Last I checked over 400 International organizations have corroborated that the earth is warming and an International Coalition of countries with diverse political leanings came to the conclusion that man is contributing to it. This is bigger than some guy in a lab at the Univ of MI whose grant is controlled by someone at the EPA funding Climate research saying it is happening. Furthermore, just so you know, the Federal govt does not write grants conditioned on someone saying Climate change is happening. The federal govt does not write grants that way. They just dont. But it sure sounds good to think it, though.

I listed Florida earlier as a place to go start asking about Climate change. Many of their mayors are GOP and many have been skeptical of Climate change......until just the last few years!! Something odd has been happening the last 15 years in Florida: the sea is rising and encroaching on the low lying areas. The mayors are feeling it firsthand. Why? Because they are the ones having to help find the money for new sea walls to protect critical infrastructure along with investments made by their citizens. Close to 200 Billion has already been spent in the EU to offset rising global waters especially in the low lying areas such as Holland, parts of Belgium, Italy and Norway. Are they spending that money bc they are dumb or foolish or because the are tied up with liberal politics? No. They are spending it because they are suffering from rising sea levels, new flooding and more severe storms. These ppl are simply reacting to reality, not playing politics.

So, again, it is not up for me to convince you that the science is real. I only have to point to the thermometers which show, on average, rising temps and those temp level increases correspond perfectly to higher levels of carbon in the atmosphere. But even if Carbon is not the cause of it....it still must be dealt with because it is having far more impact than some dying polar bears. I only wish it was just dying polar bears when you consider that over the last 20 years areas the size of the state of Nevada (and some larger) in the ocean are completely dying out entirely....which, again, can be linked to rising temps and sea levels. As those areas of death grow. fishing stocks will go down,food prices will rise and more people will grow hungry.

Now, to answer your question about the ideal earth temp. The average it has increased between 1905 and 2005 is about .8 degrees celsius. The humans and the lifeforms that currently inhabit the planet would be best served if the average temp would go back to the 1905 levels. Unfortunately, it appears that the average temp will probably rise another .5 or so within the next 30 to 40 years (probably a lot higher than that actually) and more severe weather patterns will happen, more flooding of coastal zones will happen and ocean dead spots and so on will most likely grow exponentially.
WRONG again...

This is the coldest winter on record and it’s aleady sniwed twice. If you still believe in this propaganda Ive got some bit coins and ocean front property to sell you.

When I saw this posted, I didn't give it a chance, OP.

Six pages and counting....not the first time I've been wrong. Likely not the last, either, so don't get too proud of yourself.

giphy.gif

NASA is a non political entity. Their director is required to have no political affiliations.

There's your first mistake. NASA got an 18.1 billion budget this year - you receive money from the government, you have "political affiliations".

And mentioning all the world organizations funding research and yada yada......
not all of it but most of it is about money

Earth warming, I don't know but it eventually will cool down no matter how many gases or other harmful things we spew out

The question of global warming is a scientific question not a political one. On one side of the issue is Fox News and the Republican Party. On the other is virtually every scientific group in the world including the National Academy of Science. With that choice, I'll choose science to believe in.

True, but the solution by scientists is that its either too late now to change, so were all doomed. Or if we hurry, we change our entire lifestyle, increase the cost of living here, and give the extra money to 3rd world countries.

True, but the solution by scientists is that its either too late now to change, so were all doomed. Or if we hurry, we change our entire lifestyle, increase the cost of living here, and give the extra money to 3rd world countries.
That's... that's not at all correct.

Nothing like posting an ugly chart with falsified information to push a narrative. Just a little research will show that much of the assumed "science" has been adjusted to fit an agenda. The real data on "warming" shows very little change in the last century plus, a hiatus in the last 15-20 year, and a possible cooling trend. None of it shows a correlation to human activities.

I am a proponent of environmental responsibility however. We should not be wasteful and pollute, but to believe that much of our activity is driving changes in climate that have happened since the beginning of time is both ignorant and egocentric.

N---

Except it does show a change. The math is simple, actually. Avg temps are up almost a degree in the last century, with accelerating change in the recent. It is the most simple math in the world! And as for agenda, what do the climate change advocates gain from it? Grant money? No. Most of these ppl are employed in the scientific industry regardless and no govt grants are written in a way that makes agreeing with Climate change conditional on further money. Do you think climate change advocates love telling that the earth is in peril? Do you think they love agreeing with Dade County that infrastructure is gonna be needed to hold back the ocean that is already seeping through? It is horrible to have to report that huge swaths of the ocean are dying and telling those folks in those areas that they will have to move to find new fisheries. It is just terribly sad that ppl like yourself will ignore basic math just so that they want have to agree with a “tree hugger.” When ppl want even look at a simple line chart with objectivity it shows just how horrible identity politics have become. This country is sooo screwed up right now.

You forgot to mention Acid Rain.

Yes! glad you mentioned this. Acid rain was a huge problem that was significantly helped by installing additional scrubbers in the coal fired plants. Just like with DDT and refrigerants, it shows how making direct changes will dramatically improve big environmental problems. The acid rain reduction was a gigantic win for environmental activism.

Is every model perfect? No. But when over 400 international scientific agencies conclude there are issues you might want to consider the probability that they are correct vs one political hack ( the first guy you cite) and a handful of dissenters. Could the dissenters be right? Of course they could. But it is not likely that almost every country on earth was duped into agreeing to something that will cost them trillions to correct. It is also not likely that dissenters are right when low lying countries and states are already seeing the direct impact of a rising sea and have had to pour hundreds of billions into stopping it. It is akin to a defiant man going outside and screaming it is sunny while the rain is pouring on his head vs the more enlightened neighbor who invested in an umbrella bc almost all of the forecasters said rain is coming. Many GOP mayors in Florida are pouring money into addressing sea level increases while admitting that they were very late into agreeing that there is a real problem out there.

Except it does show a change. The math is simple, actually. Avg temps are up almost a degree in the last century, with accelerating change in the recent. It is the most simple math in the world! And as for agenda, what do the climate change advocates gain from it? Grant money? No. Most of these ppl are employed in the scientific industry regardless and no govt grants are written in a way that makes agreeing with Climate change conditional on further money. Do you think climate change advocates love telling that the earth is in peril? Do you think they love agreeing with Dade County that infrastructure is gonna be needed to hold back the ocean that is already seeping through? It is horrible to have to report that huge swaths of the ocean are dying and telling those folks in those areas that they will have to move to find new fisheries. It is just terribly sad that ppl like yourself will ignore basic math just so that they want have to agree with a “tree hugger.” When ppl want even look at a simple line chart with objectivity it shows just how horrible identity politics have become. This country is sooo screwed up right now.
He could have at least used the Kary Mullis "Modern cities hold heat overnight better than the forest did" argument. Temperatures are definitely trending up despite the brief reprieve we had a decade ago.

Is every model perfect? No. But when over 400 international scientific agencies conclude there are issues you might want to consider the probability that they are correct vs one political hack ( the first guy you cite) and a handful of dissenters. Could the dissenters be right? Of course they could. But it is not likely that almost every country on earth was duped into agreeing to something that will cost them trillions to correct. It is also not likely that dissenters are right when low lying countries and states are already seeing the direct impact of a rising sea and have had to pour hundreds of billions into stopping it. It is akin to a defiant man going outside and screaming it is sunny while the rain is pouring on his head vs the more enlightened neighbor who invested in an umbrella bc almost all of the forecasters said rain is coming. Many GOP mayors in Florida are pouring money into addressing sea level increases while admitting that they were very late into agreeing that there is a real problem out there.

When agencies use the same falsified data their conclusions are suspect at best. Do I believe the earth has warmed slightly over the last 100 years, absolutely. Do I believe that man has contributed to it, possibly. Do I believe that our impact has be grossly exaggerated in the interest of pushing a narrative to make many people wealthy, absolutely. Are thousands of scientists whose jobs depend on the study of such possibilities likely to want to keep their jobs, absolutely. Did the higher ups who pushed said narratives benefit financially from changes to legislature, grants, funding et al, absolutely.

Do I believe that I should be environmentally responsible, absolutely. I recycle, I shut off the lights when I leave a room, I berate my children for leaving the TV on when they are not watching it. I don't litter and I love the outdoors, especially the oceans.

I also: boat, fly on airplanes, drive an suv and a jeep, travel to Clemson games whenever I can. So those things aren't exactly green.

I think many are sticking their heads in the sand and many are too quick to accept a statement or a graph or chart as a truth. If you peruse data, information, studies about the concept of climate change the true % of real scientists that believe that man is a major cause is only about 60%. That's enough for me do hold doubt and to investigate. Additionally supposed green industries are not what they claim when looked at thoroughly. Most are very wasteful in their construction and actually use a tremendous amount of oil based inputs to create such things as wind farms or solar panels. The net results are more wasteful than burning oil.

I favor the further development of energy forms but currently they are not an efficient use of our resources.

N---

Do I believe that our impact has be grossly exaggerated in the interest of pushing a narrative to make many people wealthy, absolutely. Are thousands of scientists whose jobs depend on the study of such possibilities likely to want to keep their jobs, absolutely. Did the higher ups who pushed said narratives benefit financially from changes to legislature, grants, funding et al, absolutely.

The money isn't in grants to study the environment, it's in oil. lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT