ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting question for the board

One of my mom's close friends moved to Easley a probably 7 or 9 years ago. Her neighbors are big time conservatives and have told her they do not want their son to attend college for fear of him "being turned into a liberal".

What are your thoughts on this parent? I am not sure what is more shocking, that she is scared of her son seeking out higher education or the fact that she labels areas of higher education as inherently liberal (which makes this story even more hilarious than it already is)

If true I think both his parents are legitimately retarded.

Reactions: johnhugh
I think there are some colleges out there that have completely lost it (see Evergreen College) that I wouldn’t particularly want one of my children to attend, but it’s a small list and Clemson isn’t one of them. Dialoging with people of opposing viewpoints is healthy (and frankly doesn’t happen enough in this country right now). Wouldn’t mind my children being taught by someone with opposing viewpoints as long as they’re treated fairly.

With that said, college professors definitely skew far more to the left than the overall population here in America. Also, many conservative professors have to hide their political leanings until they are tenured out of fear of losing their jobs. A lot of great institutions are replacing retiring conservative professors with far-left counterparts to the point where there’s hardly any conservatives in entire departments at a lot of the best schools in the country. I think long term this is very concerning because great ideas are tested and tried in debate between opposing sides. When universities become so unbalanced that they become giant echo chambers where everyone believes the exact same thing and are not honestly portraying or representing the other side of the argument, then I don’t think anyone profits from that long-term.

Reactions: Every name taken
@johnhugh is the perfect example of why college education for most people is a giant scam:

100k in debt + the 200k he’s already missed out on if he was making 50k a year the last 4 years.
Lives with parents
Liberal
Womanless
Spends 40+hrs a week on a message board
Low self esteem

giphy.gif

I'm sending mine wherever Nancy Pelosi will have a professorship. If he can make an A in her class, then it will be a semester of on the job training of how to tell a person in authority they are completely wrong and still get a promotion.

You’re probably trolling for responses/bites, and it’s a bit extreme to say that. However, the fact people elect child molesters make me think it’s acrually true. How the general public doesn’t have deal breakers on candidates is beyond me.

Not trolling. Anyone who clings to the notion that they are “conservative”, “progressive”, “liberal” and blindly wears it as a badge are sheep.

Don’t think I ever had a professor at Clemson interject their beliefs in my classes. STEM for the win.

One of my mom's close friends moved to Easley a probably 7 or 9 years ago. Her neighbors are big time conservatives and have told her they do not want their son to attend college for fear of him "being turned into a liberal".

What are your thoughts on this parent? I am not sure what is more shocking, that she is scared of her son seeking out higher education or the fact that she labels areas of higher education as inherently liberal (which makes this story even more hilarious than it already is)
This story sounds somewhat exaggerated...

But I understand their concern... There is A LOT of liberal brainwashing taking place on college campuses today.

Unbelievable people still bite on here.
I agee. It's obvious these conservatives from Easley only watch fake news sites such as FOX News and read conservative only magazines and websites. They believe people like Hannity and don't really care to hear the truth.

I doubt this story is true, but it isn't wrong that many department at universities are full of people with left-wing ideologies who, of course, are going to teach according to what they believe. That said, not every professor is a committed left-winger and not every department is very ideological, and a genuinely curious, intellectually informed person isn't going to have their views changed just by being exposed to different views. Anybody who's actually worried about the effect college will have on their kids should make sure that they cultivate intellectual curiosity in their kids before they get to college, and that they educate them well about their families values instead of just expecting the kid to believe whatever you believe.

Pretty embarrassing on both ends of the spectrum. Clemson isn’t even a very liberal university, especially if he were to join a fraternity

Depends on the department. I found my anthropology and history professors to be nauseating at times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT