ADVERTISEMENT

Just to distance ourselves from pure party politics...

Clem'sSon

Woodrush
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2012
The Greer/Lyman Metroplex
I know we're all wealthy AF here on TI, so surely we all give back. Because we're all better than the next guy.

What are your charities of choice?

Personally, I give to Hospice of the Carolina Foothills, Samaritan's Purse, and Tunnel to Towers.

What are your choice(s)? I can reallocate if the cause is worthy.

I'm listening.

***Edit: This is not virtue signaling, nor a "look at me" thing. I am genuinely interested in what moves you.

Last edited:
Reactions: harristeeter
I know we're all wealthy AF here on TI, so surely we all give back. Because we're all better than the next guy.

Personally, I give to Hospice of the Carolina Foothills, Samaritan's Purse, and Tunnel to Towers.

I'm listening.

***Edit: This is not virtue signaling, nor a "look at me" thing. I am genuinely interested in what moves you.
As a veteran, we donate quite a bit to charities that support both the veterans and active duty military families. Most enlisted military, especially those with families live below the poverty line so they are always in need.

-K9's for Warriors
-Homes for Our Troops
-Operation Homefront
-Children Of Fallen Patriots Foundation
-Special Operations Warrior Foundation
-Tunnel To Towers

At Christmas Time We like:

-One Simple Wish
-Operation Christmas Child
-Make A Wish Foundation

Others:

-Wildlife Conservation Society
-National Park Foundation
-American Heart Association (Father-in-law had a heart transplant)
-Hospice and countless cancer ones (my mom passed away from lung cancer when I was 13 and she was in hospice care the last few weeks. Those people are a godsend)

I'm listening.

St Jude
Shriners
Children.org
Wounded Warriors
USO
Local schools (donate lots of books, wife is big on literacy programs)

I would highly recommend you look into Kiva.org

I am a very active supporter there and love the concept. Instead of donations, you make "loans". These are micro loans ($25 to $100) that you make to help actual people around the world improve their lives. I focus on agriculture and livestock loans in underdeveloped areas. So, you get to help people buy seeds or fertilizers, dairy cows, hire help to harvest crops, etc. There's lots of categories though, you can help people send their kids to school to break the cycle of poverty, or help people have more inventory for their little village store, etc.

There is no interest on the loans, so you don't make any money and while the repayment rate is super high (above 98%), sometimes people have a rough time and can't repay. But the awesome thing is that you can use all the repayments to make new loans (or you can transfer the money back to yourself). So, it becomes a virtuous cycle. The people you loan the money to work hard, pay it back, and you re-invest into other people, and on and on, etc. I have made hundreds of micro loans and love the fact it's not a one-time handout. It's for a purpose each time and it's literally "the gift that keeps on giving".

• Love
Reactions: harristeeter
St Jude
Shriners
Children.org
Wounded Warriors
USO
Local schools (donate lots of books, wife is big on literacy programs)

I would highly recommend you look into Kiva.org

I am a very active supporter there and love the concept. Instead of donations, you make "loans". These are micro loans ($25 to $100) that you make to help actual people around the world improve their lives. I focus on agriculture and livestock loans in underdeveloped areas. So, you get to help people buy seeds or fertilizers, dairy cows, hire help to harvest crops, etc. There's lots of categories though, you can help people send their kids to school to break the cycle of poverty, or help people have more inventory for their little village store, etc.

There is no interest on the loans, so you don't make any money and while the repayment rate is super high (above 98%), sometimes people have a rough time and can't repay. But the awesome thing is that you can use all the repayments to make new loans (or you can transfer the money back to yourself). So, it becomes a virtuous cycle. The people you loan the money to work hard, pay it back, and you re-invest into other people, and on and on, etc. I have made hundreds of micro loans and love the fact it's not a one-time handout. It's for a purpose each time and it's literally "the gift that keeps on giving".
Kiva sounds really interesting! Will give it a look

Reactions: ctcseb
I tithe to my church, also support several programs at the local school where my wife works. One of my favorites is a program called ,"Man Up" that works with the young boys, many of whom don't have father's in the home. I also am a mentor at the school yearly.

I lost my grandfather to glioblastoma, which is a form of cancer of the brain. I donate to them here and there, particularly on or around Christmas and his birthday which is Valentines day.

Also contribute to several funds for natural or unforeseen disasters, such as the apartment collapse in Florida last year, Hurricanes, etc.

And of course the local humane societies because dogs, and animals in general, are quite important to me. I actually had a colleague from high school recently open her own NFP that serves find owners to adopt pets in these shelters that I was very honored to contribute to upon its opening

I'm listening.

I give almost exclusively through my local church (Southern Baptist). My kids, wife and I also participate in our church's "pack-a-thon" run by Feed the Hunger, Operation Christmas Child and a number of other annual local, national and global charity events. Our contributions range from money to time, material and labor. We also routinely take food to a nearby church's blessing box. While it is not "my" church (not even of my denomination), we give to this one specifically in hopes that it reaches folks closest to us.

Sadly, I am much too distrustful of most independent charities to give directly.

Reactions: yoshi121374
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT