ADVERTISEMENT

K State FB Players Announce Boycott

nsp1996

The Milwaukee Deep
Oct 2, 2017
Simple solution. Miss a mandatory team activity and face discipline. Miss too many and lose your scholarship. Play with whomever is left.

Football teams should be about football not whateve your cause of the moment is.

Lol at our country. Are there any adults left? We'll see if there are any at Kansas State I guess.

I am not hopeful.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ke-of-offensive-social-media-post-by-student/

Some random nobody student attempted to make a joke (albeit a bad one), and it hurt these kids’ feelings so much that they refuse to play football? Like the random kid’s views are representative of the university? This is reaching historical levels of idiocy. What they are actually empowering is authoritarianism. They certainly aren’t accomplishing what they think they are accomplishing.

Simple solution. Miss a mandatory team activity and face discipline. Miss too many and lose your scholarship. Play with whomever is left.

Football teams should be about football not whateve your cause of the moment is.

Lol at our country. Are there any adults left? We'll see if there are any at Kansas State I guess.

I am not hopeful.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ke-of-offensive-social-media-post-by-student/
The tweet was removed. Can you tell me what the kid said?

Reactions: Florida Tiger
Kid should be expelled for being an idiot alone. And if all the players boycott then K-State can’t play football and the university can’t make any money from it. The players are realizing their leverage and it’s glorious.
Ya ... but ... institutions cannot allow a “mob” to dictate their policy.

Maybe it's the wording, but this takes "if you ain't fer us, yer agin us" to a whole new level.

The statement from the players says "We are demanding that Kansas State University put a policy in place that allows a student to be dismissed for displaying openly racist, threatening or disrespectful action toward a student or groups of students."

The statement from the AD says "Recent tweets from a K-State student downplaying the Black Lives Matter effort and the tragic and senseless death of George Floyd are disgusting and totally inappropriate and not reflective of who we are as a University or our Athletic Department."

The original tweet from the student was removed from Twitter because it violated Twitter rules, so I don't know what it said, but to demand anyone that is disrespectful be expelled is a bit ponderous. Who decides what constitutes "disrepect"? If someone questions the tactics & policies of BLM, is that disrepectful? Is that downplaying the BLM? If I question the 6 stated goals of BLM (the organization, not the phrase), is that disrespectful or downplaying them?

In the Soviet Union, criticism of the communist party was punishable by time in prison. Same in Germany in the time of Hitler, in China since 1949, & in every other totalitarian society in history. Looks like it will be punishable by expulsion at Kansas State University. Lavrenti Beria & Feliks Dzerzhinsky would be proud.

I am not hopeful.

This post is comically childish. It's really starting to become clear through posts like this that a lot of y'all think you are in some sort of position to demand something out of people. You aren't, and it's pissing you off. Grow up.

Kid should be expelled for being an idiot alone. And if all the players boycott then K-State can’t play football and the university can’t make any money from it. The players are realizing their leverage and it’s glorious.

glorious will be their entitled irrelevance and unemployment. Unfazed they’ll not miss a beat blaming some ghostie or other or das kapital or any other excuse that comes to hand.

anything but honest stock of themselves. Wouldn’t want actual problems to actually get better for actual human lives

Nothing, he can say whatever he wants. That doesn’t mean KSU has to continue to employ him nor does it mean the KSU players have to play for him.

Isn't the "he" in question a student, not a coach, professor or otherwise employed by the university? "He" is paying to be there (or someone else is paying for him to be there).

From a Notre Dame fan on Reddit who clearly has more legal knowledge than me:

1. ⁠1st Amendment protects you from the government. State colleges are part of the government and therefore have speech limit restrictions.
2. ⁠But wait, can't they throw him out for inciting disruption? Of course they can. But the speech standard must be for imminent lawless action and/or substantial disruption. (Bradenburg v Ohio (9-0 decision) and Tinker v. Des Moines (7-2 decision))
3. ⁠Now while this is causing disruption, this should not hold up because of the heckler's veto exception, which says that a public school can't censor a minority opinion just because a lot of students may disagree and shout the person down. (Gregory v. Chicago, 9-0 decision)
4. ⁠In conclusion, this kid is a POS. However, he has a right to say what he thinks as long he is not directly inciting violence. KSU players need to quit giving this kid oxygen and ignore him.

He wants attention. He wants to get expelled so he can sue them.

This post is comically childish. It's really starting to become clear through posts like this that a lot of y'all think you are in some sort of position to demand something out of people. You aren't, and it's pissing you off. Grow up.

LoL, wow you are really just awful.

So let me get this straight. You are so offended you want to destroy a person for tweeting something you don't like and you want others to grow up? Seriously? However distasteful you may find it, this person should be free and is free to say what they want. If we adopt your standards of what can be said, who decides these things? It just doesn't work and it leads to absolute disaster.

I am offended you called someone awful for basically saying words shouldn't have such power and we should just walk past stupid comments like the one tweeted in this case. By your standards, your TI account should be canceled because you attacked a person's worth over something you didn't like. Is that how it works?

I agree with the grow up part of your post. Just not the way you'd like. A lot of people need to grow up including the idiots who would boycott something over a tweet by some random person. We have gone stark raving mad in this country. Such dangerous times we live in.

Why not give the attention to a more deserving person or group though? Like the Charleston church folks? They were actually shot down by a guy who admitted to it being racial. I’ve been a little confused in this regard

Alexander Solzhenitsyn's The Gulag Archipelago should be required reading for everyone in this country. He tells a true story in that book about a communist meeting in this town where the communist leader started a round of applause in appreciation of Stalin. So everybody starts clapping. The problem is that no one wants to be the first person to stop clapping because they know what will happen if they are. So this round of applause goes on for like a half hour. Finally this old store owner from the town just gives up and sits down. Everyone else then stops clapping. After the event the KGB takes this man away. They arrest him and send him to the gulag. As they are arresting him they tell the man, "never be the first to stop clapping". We are heading to this exact thing in this country. We may already be there.

Alexander Solzhenitsyn's The Gulag Archipelago should be required reading for everyone in this country. He tells a true story in that book about a communist meeting in this town where the communist leader started a round of applause in appreciation of Stalin. So everybody starts clapping. The problem is that no one wants to be the first person to stop clapping because they know what will happen if they are. So this round of applause goes on for like a half hour. Finally this old store owner from the town just gives up and sits down. Everyone else then stops clapping. After the event the KGB takes this man away. They arrest him and send him to the gulag. As they are arresting him they tell the man, "never be the first to stop clapping". We are heading to this exact thing in this country. We may already be there.

I am not hopeful.

The pandemic has shown these kids just how invaluable they are. Lets see how many Iptay members are willing to pay $10k/year for parking to watch a bunch of 4.8 40 white kids play.

Reactions: purenonsense
The pandemic has shown these kids just how invaluable they are. Lets see how many Iptay members are willing to pay $10k/year for parking to watch a bunch of 4.8 40 white kids play.

They need to be taught the lesson of the indispensable man. The one where you put your hand in a bucket of water and then take it out. The hole that is left in the water is how much they'll be missed. The same is true for all of us.

So let me get this straight. You are so offended you want to destroy a person for tweeting something you don't like and you want others to grow up? Seriously? However distasteful you may find it, this person should be free and is free to say what they want. If we adopt your standards of what can be said, who decides these things? It just doesn't work and it leads to absolute disaster.

I am offended you called someone awful for basically saying words shouldn't have such power and we should just walk past stupid comments like the one tweeted in this case. By your standards, your TI account should be canceled because you attacked a person's worth over something you didn't like. Is that how it works?

I agree with the grow up part of your post. Just not the way you'd like. A lot of people need to grow up including the idiots who would boycott something over a tweet by some random person. We have gone stark raving mad in this country. Such dangerous times we live in.

This is the other issue I have with some of this stuff. When you flip out and lose your mind over something someone tweets or says, you are not only legitimizing their message by providing it with unnecessary attention, you are underscoring your own weakness. If some random kid’s words have the power to make me quit doing something I love, because they hurt my feelings, then I’m simply not cut out to compete, much less cut out for this world.

On top of that, the erroneous view that sitting out is somehow a display of your immense freedom and leverage is actually an admission of the power someone with terrible, marginal, and idiotic views holds over you, and an endorsement of a system that places very little value on individualism and personal freedoms.

Hijacking an entire university because of one terrible post by one awful person is not the right solution and not something I am cheering. There are other ways to bring about the real change needed besides hurting even more people because of the one idiot.

This is the other issue I have with some of this stuff. When you flip out and lose your mind over something someone tweets or says, you are not only legitimizing their message by providing it with unnecessary attention, you are underscoring your own weakness. If some random kid’s words have the power to make me quit doing something I love, because they hurt my feelings, then I’m simply not cut out to compete, much less cut out for this world.

On top of that, the erroneous view that sitting out is somehow a display of your immense freedom and leverage is actually an admission of the power someone with terrible, marginal, and idiotic views holds over you, and an endorsement of a system that places very little value on individualism and personal freedoms.

Exactly. The problem here is these kids know that no one's going to do anything but support their protest and probably give them what they want. No administration is going to be brave enough to weather the media storm that would come from telling these players that their scholarships would be revoked if they don't show up. Until people develop the courage to do the right thing we're going to continue to see this mob mentality everywhere we go.

He has every right to say what he said, and the players have every right to be offended and choose not to play football for a school that has people that think that way. As someone else said, freedom of speech doesn’t mean freedom from repercussions from people that are offended. These rights go both ways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT