Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
MONDAY CLEMSON FOOTBALL UPDATE
By: Larry Williams

(From today's on-campus availability)

T.J. PARKER

-- He said he's definitely drawn more attention from opposing offenses as the season has progressed. Early in the season there were lots of 1-on-1s. Lately there have been more sniffers, chippers, etc.

-- Said it's definitely different physically going through a college season. A lot more on your body. The deeper you get into a season the more you’re going to wake up with something brand new that’s sore.

-- On the freshman class:

I knew early that most of these guys were about their business. Just listening to how they try to understand the game. They’ve all been locked into the game plan ever since I met them

-- Terrell came in right away during the summer competing, with that dog mentality.

-- Loved seeing all the freshmen come up with big plays vs. GT.

That's probably the most I've yelled and run around the field since I got here. Definitely exciting to see.

You always want to celebrate with your teammates. The best experience as an athlete comes from celebrating with your teammates.

BLAKE MILLER

-- Obviously we want to run the football. That’s our thing. It's been great to go back to the basics.

-- Mitchell Mayes played really well Saturday. It's not like he was playing poorly before. It's just that when an offensive lineman makes one mistake it looks glaring. I thought he played a great game.

-- The last couple of games are rewarding for the OL.

We don’t do it for the public narrative. We do it because we want to be the best version of us. It's been nice to show everyone what we can do. And now everyone is in our corner. The goal is to keep everyone in our corner.

-- It's a great feeling to know when you're imposing your will as an offensive lineman. It's the greatest feeling in football.

-- He thinks Shipley's love for the game really came out after he had to sit after the hit at NC State. When you see someone laying on the ground like that, it's scary. This game can be taken away from you at any moment. Grateful that nothing serious came from that hit.

-- Says it's next man up after the loss of Sage Ennis. I don't expect to see a super, super huge dropoff. All those other guys prepare as well.

KHALIL BARNES

-- On the freshman class:

We knew our class was going to be special. Coach Swinney said it during the offseason, that this was one of the closest classes he ever signed. We all celebrate each other, even the guys who aren't on the field.

-- Swinney always talks about unwavering belief. That's what this group has and the relationships started when we were all recruits and here on visits. I spent lot of time with the guys during South Carolina weekend last year.

We were brothers before we even got here.

-- This class can definitely get a national championship. We have enough talent.

-- On Avieon Terrell:

He's just about his business. A lot of it comes from his brother. He already knows how this is going to go. He has a lot of energy.
Never takes a day for granted. He’s not going to play around, especially during the offseason.

-- Wes Goodwin's game plan last week was confusing Haynes King with pre-snap movement.

They had a lot of shifts and motions. So whenever they did have that final shift, I'm acting like I'm coming down even if I’m not and messing with his reads pre-snap.

-- I asked him what Mickey Conn saw in him so early in the recruiting process, long before other Power 5 schools noticed him.

Conn kept telling him he was a playmaker. Even if he was mostly a receiver, Conn felt his ball skills would translate to defense.

Barnes played some corner in high school, and Conn noticed he was always around the ball.

"He just kept saying 'playmaker,'" Barnes said.

-- On Drake Maye:

"Ain’t too much you got to say. Everybody knows how good of a QB he is. He's got weapons all around him. Demeanor is similar to Sam Hartman: Even when they’re under pressure they never look pressured. When they're outside the pocket, they're just as dangerous as inside the pocket.

-- He said he had maybe the most negative plays vs. Georgia Tech that he had all season.

Mostly run fits, bad technique and eyes.

JOSH SAPP

-- On filling the void left by Sage Ennis' season-ending injury:

I'm most definitely ready. They’ve been helping prepare me.
I know I’m ready.

-- On what they will miss from Ennis:

Just being physical and putting people in the dirt. I have to bring the same physicality and put people in the dirt.

-- On Tyler Brown's catch:

We saw that type of thing in high school in practices. He brought it to the game.

-- On the offense's progression this season:

Really just gaining confidence as a whole. Catching and throwing the ball, running the ball. Getting the running game going. It's really just confidence for us.

-- On blocking:

Learning it was a challenge at first last year. I adjusted and got better and better as the weeks went on. It's about learning how to keep your feet and have your hands in the right spots. Just the details of blocking.

-- On Cade Klubnik's progression this season:

Just a great leader. Through all the bad and good he’s been staying the same, keeping our heads up and his head up as well. Just a great leader.

-- On Olsen Patt-Henry:

He's definitely a grinder. Stays extra and watches film. He's a good player.

Check out nearly 100 officially-licensed CLEMSON Military Appreciation Gear & Apparel at The Tiger Fan Shop HERE!

To view all officially-licensed Clemson gear in inventory, click HERE!

11.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News