ADVERTISEMENT

National Debt

He is not responsible for the China virus and the emergency spending that he had to approve when the US economy had to be shut down for weeks. Wait and see where the debt is at near end of 24 and then come back and discuss it.

REVENUES WENT UP IN THE TRUMP YEARS PRE COVID AND THATS A FACT!! Trump is an outsider that came to DC in 2017 and you ding dogs want to blame him for everything. It's a joke.
No, we just blame him for being an unstable sociopath, hell-bent on destroying our institutions, our civility and our democracy. We'd all like to see an arrest happen - preferably a cardiac one, so we can put this dark chaos behind us.

Reactions: flotiger
No, we just blame him for being an unstable sociopath, hell-bent on destroying our institutions, our civility and our democracy. We'd all like to see an arrest happen - preferably a cardiac one, so we can put this dark chaos behind us.
None of this is true. You are wrong and out of your mind if you really believe this.

Now you care?

"One of President Donald Trump’s lesser known but profoundly damaging legacies will be the explosive rise in the national debt that occurred on his watch. The financial burden that he’s inflicted on our government will wreak havoc for decades, saddling our kids and grandkids with debt.

The national debt has risen by almost $7.8 trillion during Trump’s time in office. That’s nearly twice as much as what Americans owe on student loans, car loans, credit cards and every other type of debt other than mortgages, combined, according to data from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. It amounts to about $23,500 in new federal debt for every person in the country."

You mean the debt the democratic Congress voted for?

You didn't do well in Civics class did you?

This is going to be a disaster of biblical proportions.

Interest on national debt on pace to eclipse entitlements, defense spending amid funding battles​

Criticism of sustained deficit spending prompted house Republicans earlier this year to pressure the White House to make budgetary concessions in the Fiscal Responsibility Act that aimed to address the nation's runaway spending. The debt service may soon exceed that of major allocations.

By Ben Whedon
Updated: September 5, 2023 - 11:00pm
Sustained deficit spending by the U.S. government helped push the national debt up to a jaw dropping $31.38 trillion in 2023, according to U.S. Treasury data. Fiscal watchdogs are now predicting that the interest alone on that debt will soon eclipse both entitlements and defense spending as a major component of the annual budget.
At the same time that the national debt is at a record high, interest payments in mid-2022 stood at just under $600 billion, according to a report from the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (CRFB).
The report, which outlines the challenges that face the next administration, projects that such payments will exceed the combined costs of Medicaid, SNAP (food stamps), and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) in late 2023, though it varies depending on interest rates.
Debt service is projected to exceed defense spending either later this year or in 2026, again contingent on interest rates. The CRFB report further pointed to the significant hike in interest rates under the Biden Administration. A 10-year Treasury note, which in 2021 came with just over a 1% interest rate. That figure now sits at 4.3%.
Mortgage rates, which are at an all-time high, have been predicted to remain high as well; Fannie Mae says that it doesn’t expect rates to dip below 6% until the fourth quarter of 2024. Analysis from Rocket Mortgage says that during the Trump administration years "the average rate for a 30-year fixed mortgage was about 3.7%."
The issues of rising debt and rising interest rates clash head-on with major spending packages spearheaded by the administration, including the 2021 American Rescue Plan and the 2022 Inflation Reduction Act, which saw the government authorize $1.9 trillion and $740 billion in federal spending in addition to "ordinary" budget expenses.
Criticism of sustained deficit spending prompted House Republicans earlier this year to pressure the White House to make budgetary concessions in the Fiscal Responsibility Act that aimed to address the nation's runaway spending.
GOP budget hawks, however, were largely unsatisfied with the concessions House Speaker Kevin McCarthy managed to wrest from the administration and an upcoming showdown over budget resolutions threatens to shut down the government.
The Biden administration has largely depended on spending more and more on entitlements to bolster its support among demographics likely to vote Democratic.
Georgia Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene on Tuesday indicated that she would not support the administration's funding requests and would only support budget resolutions should the government meet her demands, which include an impeachment inquiry into Biden, the exclusion of COVID and Ukraine funding, and no funds to "weaponized" federal agencies.
"I will not vote to fund the government until we achieve an impeachment inquiry," she declared on the "Just the News, No Noise" television show. "But also I will not fund a weaponized government against President Trump, pro-life protesters, parents trying to hold their school boards accountable. I will not fund more COVID insanity, COVID vaccines, vaccine mandates, mask mandates all of these ruined American's lives and took away their freedoms."
"And I will not vote – and this has always been my stance – I will not vote to continue to slaughter people in Ukraine and to continue to fund the war in Ukraine," Green added. "This has to stop, we need a peace resolution between those two countries," she continued. "So those are my demands, not only for appropriations, but for any attempt if we have to get there for a short term [continuing resolution]."
In a separate interview on the program to be aired Wednesday, National Taxpayers Union Executive Vice President Brandon Arnold forecast a tense exchange over the funding disputes, but warned Republicans to formulate a winning strategy should they opt for a government shutdown, noting that Republicans had failed to secure concessions through such an approach before.
"I think it's time to get out the popcorn, and sit back and enjoy what's gonna be a wild few weeks," he said. "You know, MTG has her demands; there's 535 Members of Congress. And I think they are all approaching this with a similar manner. And that is, we're going to put our foot down and insist on getting our way. Otherwise, we're not going to vote for this package of spending bills."
"You know, the problem here is that we need to fund the government. And when we do shut down the government, we've done it several times in recent memory, conservatives almost always lose," Arnold continued. "We shut down the government for a few days, or sometimes a little bit longer, and then somebody gives in. There's a breaking point, and we end up spending more money... So we need to find a way to win here. And I think that starts with passing good conservative spending bills through the appropriations process in the House of Representatives."
Arnold went on to advocate for seeking compromise with moderate, budget-minded Democrats, and espoused support for exploring ways to save on defense spending, which ranks among the biggest budget items. Department of Defense data shows that it accounts for $2.04 trillion of the 2023 budget.
"There are some very reasonable Democrats out there that want to see leaner, more efficient government and I think we need to extend an olive branch and work with these individuals," Arnold opined. "Because heaven knows this problem was created in a bipartisan basis. Throughout the years, Republicans and Democrats have teamed up together to spend far too much money and eventually it's going to need to be solved in a bipartisan process..."
"We're going to need to get Democratic votes to get a solution here... I think there's a lot of Republicans that have kind of abandoned the neocon philosophy when it comes to foreign policy that are looking for ways to save money in the defense budget," he went on. "I think that's fantastic. We don't want to reduce our ability to launch those wars when we absolutely need to. But let's find some ways there... Let's reach out in a bipartisan manner. And let's try to get this federal budget under control."
Ben Whedon is an editor and reporter for Just the News. Follow him on Twitter.

Interest on national debt on pace to eclipse entitlements, defense spending amid funding battles​

Criticism of sustained deficit spending prompted house Republicans earlier this year to pressure the White House to make budgetary concessions in the Fiscal Responsibility Act that aimed to address the nation's runaway spending. The debt service may soon exceed that of major allocations.

By Ben Whedon
Sustained deficit spending by the U.S. government helped push the national debt up to a jaw dropping $31.38 trillion in 2023, according to U.S. Treasury data. Fiscal watchdogs are now predicting that the interest alone on that debt will soon eclipse both entitlements and defense spending as a major component of the annual budget.
At the same time that the national debt is at a record high, interest payments in mid-2022 stood at just under $600 billion, according to a report from the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (CRFB).
The report, which outlines the challenges that face the next administration, projects that such payments will exceed the combined costs of Medicaid, SNAP (food stamps), and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) in late 2023, though it varies depending on interest rates.
Debt service is projected to exceed defense spending either later this year or in 2026, again contingent on interest rates. The CRFB report further pointed to the significant hike in interest rates under the Biden Administration. A 10-year Treasury note, which in 2021 came with just over a 1% interest rate. That figure now sits at 4.3%.
Mortgage rates, which are at an all-time high, have been predicted to remain high as well; Fannie Mae says that it doesn’t expect rates to dip below 6% until the fourth quarter of 2024. Analysis from Rocket Mortgage says that during the Trump administration years "the average rate for a 30-year fixed mortgage was about 3.7%."
The issues of rising debt and rising interest rates clash head-on with major spending packages spearheaded by the administration, including the 2021 American Rescue Plan and the 2022 Inflation Reduction Act, which saw the government authorize $1.9 trillion and $740 billion in federal spending in addition to "ordinary" budget expenses.
Criticism of sustained deficit spending prompted House Republicans earlier this year to pressure the White House to make budgetary concessions in the Fiscal Responsibility Act that aimed to address the nation's runaway spending.
GOP budget hawks, however, were largely unsatisfied with the concessions House Speaker Kevin McCarthy managed to wrest from the administration and an upcoming showdown over budget resolutions threatens to shut down the government.
The Biden administration has largely depended on spending more and more on entitlements to bolster its support among demographics likely to vote Democratic.
Georgia Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene on Tuesday indicated that she would not support the administration's funding requests and would only support budget resolutions should the government meet her demands, which include an impeachment inquiry into Biden, the exclusion of COVID and Ukraine funding, and no funds to "weaponized" federal agencies.
"I will not vote to fund the government until we achieve an impeachment inquiry," she declared on the "Just the News, No Noise" television show. "But also I will not fund a weaponized government against President Trump, pro-life protesters, parents trying to hold their school boards accountable. I will not fund more COVID insanity, COVID vaccines, vaccine mandates, mask mandates all of these ruined American's lives and took away their freedoms."
"And I will not vote – and this has always been my stance – I will not vote to continue to slaughter people in Ukraine and to continue to fund the war in Ukraine," Green added. "This has to stop, we need a peace resolution between those two countries," she continued. "So those are my demands, not only for appropriations, but for any attempt if we have to get there for a short term [continuing resolution]."
In a separate interview on the program to be aired Wednesday, National Taxpayers Union Executive Vice President Brandon Arnold forecast a tense exchange over the funding disputes, but warned Republicans to formulate a winning strategy should they opt for a government shutdown, noting that Republicans had failed to secure concessions through such an approach before.
"I think it's time to get out the popcorn, and sit back and enjoy what's gonna be a wild few weeks," he said. "You know, MTG has her demands; there's 535 Members of Congress. And I think they are all approaching this with a similar manner. And that is, we're going to put our foot down and insist on getting our way. Otherwise, we're not going to vote for this package of spending bills."
"You know, the problem here is that we need to fund the government. And when we do shut down the government, we've done it several times in recent memory, conservatives almost always lose," Arnold continued. "We shut down the government for a few days, or sometimes a little bit longer, and then somebody gives in. There's a breaking point, and we end up spending more money... So we need to find a way to win here. And I think that starts with passing good conservative spending bills through the appropriations process in the House of Representatives."
Arnold went on to advocate for seeking compromise with moderate, budget-minded Democrats, and espoused support for exploring ways to save on defense spending, which ranks among the biggest budget items. Department of Defense data shows that it accounts for $2.04 trillion of the 2023 budget.
"There are some very reasonable Democrats out there that want to see leaner, more efficient government and I think we need to extend an olive branch and work with these individuals," Arnold opined. "Because heaven knows this problem was created in a bipartisan basis. Throughout the years, Republicans and Democrats have teamed up together to spend far too much money and eventually it's going to need to be solved in a bipartisan process..."
"We're going to need to get Democratic votes to get a solution here... I think there's a lot of Republicans that have kind of abandoned the neocon philosophy when it comes to foreign policy that are looking for ways to save money in the defense budget," he went on. "I think that's fantastic. We don't want to reduce our ability to launch those wars when we absolutely need to. But let's find some ways there... Let's reach out in a bipartisan manner. And let's try to get this federal budget under control."

we're continually rolling new debt at much higher rates, we're issuing more...while liquidity is being drained. because of inflation the fed is boxed in, or at least believe they are. there's also about 100 trillion in unfunded liabilities not included in the national debt. bigger picture, bidens impossibly stupid foreign policy has really screwed us. he managed to deliver russia to china, while china has been establishing itself as the primary financing partner throughout south america, africa, and strengthened is relationships with the middle east. brics now controls more of global gdp than the g7, and china is pushing hard for broader trade settlement outside the dollar. because they still need us as a trade partner economically, that process will likely occur over time rather than through an overnight devastation. still, that will steadily reduce global demand for dollars while our financing requirements balloon. good luck. it's like an inverse cold war...china is just letting us implode internally as they continue to expand their economic and political ties in the areas of the world that will be growth leaders in the coming years - many of which also happen to be primary suppliers of critical commodities markets.

the immediate problem is the domestic economy being a house of cards. the above are mostly issues further on the horizon. curious if a couple banks with massive fhlb loans due this month survive. at some point something snaps here, i'm amazed it hasn't happened yet. much like 08 there will be something the media paints as the culprit. much like mortgage lenders and bankers in 08, that culprit will simply be a symptom of the fed and federal government disease continually destroying everything it touches. much like 08, most people will just accept the narrative without a second thought so they can be mad at someone.

Reactions: TigerGrowls

By Ben Whedon

If you believe this is such a big issue, how could you possibly vote for trump?
He said he would reduce the debt to zero. Instead, he added almost $8T to it. Any time someone in his party discusses cuts to medicare and/or social security, he slams them publicly.

Serious question for you.

If you believe this is such a big issue, how could you possibly vote for trump?
He said he would reduce the debt to zero. Instead, he added almost $8T to it. Any time someone in his party discusses cuts to medicare and/or social security, he slams them publicly.

Serious question for you.

It's a legitimate two party problem. Dems get points for being ever so slightly less hypocritical on the subject

I am sure you know what type of chaos that would cause all over the world with the biggest hit being in the US. Its going t get to that point.
A country goes bankrupt when it says so. Companies and people go bankrupt all the time. I see nothing wrong wtih it.

A country goes bankrupt when it says so. Companies and people go bankrupt all the time. I see nothing wrong wtih it.
If the US goes bankrupt then its going to have a seismic affect on the entire planet and thats a fact short of something totally unforeseen.

Makes the head hurt thinking of what is occurring and our current republican and democrat senators are apparently oblivous to it reportedly willing to shut the govt down if Ukraine funding is not approved.

Makes the head hurt thinking of what is occurring and our current republican and democrat senators are apparently oblivous to it reportedly willing to shut the govt down if Ukraine funding is not approved.

The money spent on Ukraine is a rounding error in the context of the whole budget. If you’re opposed to it, sure, but it’s not relevant to the question of the $33 trillion dollar debt, the vast majority of which is due to fixed entitlement spending that isn’t part of the constant bickering Congress finds itself in over discretionary spending.

Reactions: yoshi121374
The money spent on Ukraine is a rounding error in the context of the whole budget. If you’re opposed to it, sure, but it’s not relevant to the question of the $33 trillion dollar debt, the vast majority of which is due to fixed entitlement spending that isn’t part of the constant bickering Congress finds itself in over discretionary spending.
I profoundly disagree. They have been sendings hundreds of billions over a long number of years overseas. That adds up interest included. Its easily in the trillions.

I profoundly disagree. They have been sendings hundreds of billions over a long number of years overseas. That adds up interest included. Its easily in the trillions.
"They've been sending hundreds of billions over a long number of years overseas." Where have we sent it? The single biggest recipient of US foreign aid is Israel. Tell Jared to fix that. Nothing to do with Ukraine, nor is it the reason the debt is 33 trillion. That's all Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security dude.

"They've been sending hundreds of billions over a long number of years overseas." Where have we sent it? The single biggest recipient of US foreign aid is Israel. Tell Jared to fix that. Nothing to do with Ukraine, nor is it the reason the debt is 33 trillion. That's all Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security dude.
I agree that Medicare Medicaid and social security are making up a big portion but strongly disagree that it's you know that cut and dry. Money has been siphoned overseas for years and years and it adds up. We are at the point now with a 33 trillion dollar debt with it growing exponentially faster then the Buck has to stop. All foreign Aid needs to stop at this point. We are at the point where the national debt is biggest threat to the United States national security at this time.

I agree that Medicare Medicaid and social security are making up a big portion but strongly disagree that it's you know that cut and dry. Money has been siphoned overseas for years and years and it adds up. We are at the point now with a 33 trillion dollar debt with it growing exponentially faster then the Buck has to stop. All foreign Aid needs to stop at this point. We are at the point where the national debt is biggest threat to the United States national security at this time.
We could stop all foreign aid, and we'd still be losing at least a trillion dollar each year along with the benefits of influence we gain from the foreign aid. I'll pass

We could stop all foreign aid, and we'd still be losing at least a trillion dollar each year along with the benefits of influence we gain from the foreign aid. I'll pass
I am in full support of substantial real cuts to spending domestically but the foreign aid got to go first.

It’s pretty obvious that we need to trim entitlements.

Not a sexy issue for either party. Old people turn out to vote, though. Expected given they have more to immediately gain or lose

It’s the flaw in our electoral system. People can vote for who will give them money. Welfare, SS, Medicare, Obama phones, you name it. Plenty of people vote for who will continue to take money from other Americans and give it to them. Pretty shitty part of the democracy.

It’s the flaw in our electoral system. People can vote for who will give them money. Welfare, SS, Medicare, Obama phones, you name it. Plenty of people vote for who will continue to take money from other Americans and give it to them. Pretty shitty part of the democracy.
Democracy is certainly not ideal as method of getting shit done. That’s both good and bad. You live with the worse parts of democracy over the worse parts of the alternatives

You are a total low IQ if you describe Trumps pre covid economic performance anything other than historically exceptional and I am not even joking here. Please come back with realism instead of partial party centric BS.
Trump administration sponsored 2017 tax law sunsets in 2025. (With the F’ing exception of removing booster donation deductibility, that will stay). Those will be interesting days. Hope to live to see it and will pop some popcorn and watch.
I got no tax cut and I’m still pissed about IPTAY deduction. All about me😀

Trump administration sponsored 2017 tax law sunsets in 2025. (With the F’ing exception of removing booster donation deductibility, that will stay). Those will be interesting days. Hope to live to see it and will pop some popcorn and watch.
I got no tax cut and I’m still pissed about IPTAY deduction. All about me😀

All the more reason I’m frustrated that the GOP can’t get its shit together. We’re going to let the left keep control in 2024 and this won’t get extended, at least not the parts applicable to me. And my family will be in the hook for tens of thousands more per year to be wasted by our government.

Crap like this adds up fast. All this has to stop.

IN-DEPTH: US Gives More Than $4.1 Billion in Grants for LGBT and Transgender Initiatives Worldwide​

Apparently, anything that contains the acronym LGBT counts? I just looked at the largest grants in the list cited in the article and they have very little to do with 'LGBT Initiatives'
  1. Combating opioid abuse and improving treatment in California
  2. Combating opioid abuse and improving treatment in Massachusetts
  3. Combating opioid abuse and improving treatment in Delaware
  4. Combating opioid abuse and improving treatment in Virginia
  5. Covid prevention and improved medical tx in rural areas and minority groups in Tennessee
  6. Covid prevention and improved medical tx in rural areas and minority groups in Georgia
  7. Combating opioid abuse and improving treatment in Louisiana
  8. Covid and substance abuse in Indiana
  9. Covid and substance abuse in Wisconsin
  10. Substance abuse and mental health nationwide (Addiction psychiatry group)
Seems like a pretty misleading claim to call these 'LGBT and Transgender Initiatives' but you do you, I guess.

Reactions: kudzuking
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT