ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bible - Job 40 and 41

I'm so tired of talking basketball and Brad...

Interesting discussion at work that led me to read these verses. Read Job Chapter 40 and 41.

I mean, am I the only one who reads this as God speaking of dinosaurs and dragons?

(Please don't come tell me about fairy tales and condescending remarks (@dbjork6317). I don't claim the Bible is 100% literal. I also cannot justify the timing of this convo in the Bible nor do I understand or comprehend all of it. If you don't believe, just go on about your day.)
Dinosaurs lived roughly 65 million years before the first humans, so I'm gonna say no.

I understand what you are saying, but Jesus clearly said (in Matthew 28:19) that we are to go and “...make disciples of ALL the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit...”

If someone is truly trying to live out the Bible in their daily life, that verse cannot be ignored.
I’m not being argumentative. Do you truly live by every single message that’s in that entire book? If so, I can only imagine the level of difficulty that’s encountered on a regular basis. Because it’s incredibly extensive.

God bless and good luck to you.

I just know if we ALL did a better job of respecting each other’s path in life within the scope of human decency, the world would be a better place.

Dinosaurs lived roughly 65 million years before the first humans, so I'm gonna say no.
I’m not sure what your response has to do with what I asked. I’m not asking if there was a dinosaur or dragon standing beside God when he was speaking to a man. I do find it interesting that “dinosaurs are proof that God doesn’t exist or the Bible is a fairy tale”, if God was describing one to a man.

I’d imagine you responded without reading the text I referenced or considering what the verses may mean, just pandering for cool guy likes.

I didn’t ask if man lived with dinosaurs or dragons. I asked if the oldest book in the Bible talked about such things. The description hits pretty close to what you’ve seen those animals dedicated as to be sure.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what your response has to do with what I asked. I’m not asking if there was a dinosaur or dragon standing beside God when he was speaking to a man. I do find it interesting that “dinosaurs are proof that God doesn’t exist or the Bible is a fairy tale”, if God was describing one to a man.

I’d imagine you responded without reading the text I referenced or considering what the verses may mean, just pandering for cool guy likes.

I didn’t ask if man lived with dinosaurs or dragons. I asked if the oldest book in the Bible talked about such things. The description hits pretty close to what you’ve seen those animals dedicated as to be sure.
Mmm well clearly its an old tale and existed before Christianity or even Judaism existed.

Derek Thomas has studied and written practical commentary on the Book of Job probably the most of any living person I know of. From first Presbyterian in Columbia. Had the privilege to hear him sum all this up in 45 min, at a conference in Orlando just last week.

calm, thoughtful, dry wit, practical application of what is likely the oldest book of the Bible.

he puts the Leviathan thing in good perspective, and points to commentary that unpacks in as much detail as a sincere inquiry might want to pursue offline.

you might really enjoy watching this talk. Helpful in the bitter resentment and questions that come from the paradox of pain and evil. God bless.

I fully believe dinosaurs roamed the earth during Biblical times & coexisted with humans (just as giants did)...however, they were not as plentiful as some claim & did not live millions of years ago...they roamed the earth just a few thousand years ago actually...

IN for the dinsosaurs

49sGsr0.gif

Reactions: Champs_16
I fully believe dinosaurs roamed the earth during Biblical times & coexisted with humans (just as giants did)...however, they were not as plentiful as some claim & did not live millions of years ago...they roamed the earth just a few thousand years ago actually...

Well, you’re a moron, so....

First, I was specifically trying to avoid this thought. I wasn’t admonishing nonbelievers. I just wanted those who read the Bible to chime in on their interpretation of these chapters. I find it interesting and there is no definitive right or wrong answer.

To your point, the reason believers insist on trying to win over nonbelievers is because that is what the Bible specifically tells us to do. But it is not what I am doing here.
i struggle greatly with the command to win others over...i find it off putting. I have always found that living a good life is the best way to win others over

i struggle greatly with the command to win others over...i find it off putting. I have always found that living a good life is the best way to win others over
Certainly understand that position, and why anyone would say such.
So, this comment is not directed at you, per se.
Just a general observation.

Anyone would agree with the axiom that your actions speak so loud, I can't hear what you're saying.
On that note everyone agrees.
Plus, I'm sure that no one has ever been argued into Heaven. Grabbing them by the throat and demanding to know if they are saved..........uh, is not effective.

Of course, the fact that Christ's essential, final command/instruction was to 'go spread the Gospel' (paraphrased) in Mark 16:15 and Matthew 28:19 - is pretty direct stuff.

I think it's more important that true Believers mention, or bring up ......whenever fitting...... a couple of things:

1) What do people need to be saved from? "I have a good job, money in the bank, a big house and one at the beach and one in the mountains, a beautiful family and wife, fast cars and knockout girlfriend........ What do I need to be saved from, you idiot?"
Hell is real. God's eternal wrath is real.
You can tell them: That's what to be saved from.
Without the Bad News, there is no Good News.

We can't make anyone believe. We humans 'save' no one. We just plant the seeds.
The longing in a soul is either there or it isn't. The Spirit calls.

2) Secondly, if you noticed someone's house was on fire, and knew a family was inside, unaware of the flames............would you walk on by?
Just shrug your shoulders: (insert Jerry Seinfeld) 'That's a shame.'

Hopefully not. You'd make sure they were made aware.......and very possibly save their life.

Living and doing and speaking truth in the process.......... That is more evangelism than far, far too many people never get around to.

Maybe we just need more 'Round 2s'

Certainly understand that position, and why anyone would say such.
So, this comment is not directed at you, per se.
Just a general observation.

Anyone would agree with the axiom that your actions speak so loud, I can't hear what you're saying.
On that note everyone agrees.
Plus, I'm sure that no one has ever been argued into Heaven. Grabbing them by the throat and demanding to know if they are saved..........uh, is not effective.

Of course, the fact that Christ's essential, final command/instruction was to 'go spread the Gospel' (paraphrased) in Mark 16:15 and Matthew 28:19 - is pretty direct stuff.

I think it's more important that true Believers mention, or bring up ......whenever fitting...... a couple of things:

1) What do people need to be saved from? "I have a good job, money in the bank, a big house and one at the beach and one in the mountains, a beautiful family and wife, fast cars and knockout girlfriend........ What do I need to be saved from, you idiot?"
Hell is real. God's eternal wrath is real.
You can tell them: That's what to be saved from.
Without the Bad News, there is no Good News.

We can't make anyone believe. We humans 'save' no one. We just plant the seeds.
The longing in a soul is either there or it isn't. The Spirit calls.

2) Secondly, if you noticed someone's house was on fire, and knew a family was inside, unaware of the flames............would you walk on by?
Just shrug your shoulders: (insert Jerry Seinfeld) 'That's a shame.'

Hopefully not. You'd make sure they were made aware.......and very possibly save their life.

Living and doing and speaking truth in the process.......... That is more evangelism than far, far too many people never get around to.

Maybe we just need more 'Round 2s'
Well said. We are actually saved from God (his wrath) and to God.

Derek Thomas has studied and written practical commentary on the Book of Job probably the most of any living person I know of. From first Presbyterian in Columbia. Had the privilege to hear him sum all this up in 45 min, at a conference in Orlando just last week.

calm, thoughtful, dry wit, practical application of what is likely the oldest book of the Bible.

he puts the Leviathan thing in good perspective, and points to commentary that unpacks in as much detail as a sincere inquiry might want to pursue offline.

you might really enjoy watching this talk. Helpful in the bitter resentment and questions that come from the paradox of pain and evil. God bless.
Good stuff. For anyone wanting to go deeper in their studies Ligonier Ministry (there’s an app) has been the most valuable tool in my Christian life.

What’s incredibly ironic.... a significant amount of Christian leadership considers themselves Conservative. More times than not, Conservatives have a “leave me to my own decisions approach to life compared to liberals.

However, when it comes to Christianity..... “we MUST convert you because the Bible says so”. The complete opposite approach. It’s very rich and very compelling.

The problem is, they don’t see it/ignore it as the Bible says so and therefore I can’t nor won’t refute it.

(The amount of historical causes of cutting off nose despite the face is the reason why RESPECT is low amongst societies. It’s simple.... Jesus was a good man. For those that accept him as the son of God, great. For those that don’t, he has great parables to live your life by.)

I truly respect Jesus. But there are those will read what I just wrote above and want to dismiss me. It’s terribly sad and a wasted opportunity to brighten the light of good teachings.

I do think Job is a great example of how this “loving God” is actually just a self serving prick and I can’t understand why anyone would ever want to worship an entity like that.
Let me introduce you to my girlfriend...

I have had long discussions with my preacher and others about this. I call it the arrogance of Christianity. Let's take it that God is a loving God as described in the New Testament. So, the all loving God is going to damn every Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu, Jew, etc to hell, just because they don't believe Jesus is the Son of God? Ghandi, Buddha, all the Jews who live good lives, help their fellow man, etc? I cannot go that far.

I have had long discussions with my preacher and others about this. I call it the arrogance of Christianity. Let's take it that God is a loving God as described in the New Testament. So, the all loving God is going to damn every Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu, Jew, etc to hell, just because they don't believe Jesus is the Son of God? Ghandi, Buddha, all the Jews who live good lives, help their fellow man, etc? I cannot go that far.
It’s the difference between fundamentalism and reason.

If your premise is built upon a fundamental belief that you must draw others in and the majority has reason to believe one or many other options, how it that outcome generally going to finish?

Wars, pain, suffering, killings, manipulation all in this vain. Go study history. If God/Jesus can’t stand on their own, then maybe it isn’t for everyone.

Reactions: SconnyTiger25
It's the reasonable stance, but it's incompatible with Christianity. The Bible is clear all of those people are not gong to Heaven.

Well said. We are actually saved from God (his wrath) and to God.
Well, those of us who are sinners, I suppose.

You know, and realize that our 'good works' {haha, yeah.... 1 or 2 scattered amongst the evil thoughts and actions we lay claim to} are not enough to earn us any favor with God at all.

Last edited:
What’s incredibly ironic.... a significant amount of Christian leadership considers themselves Conservative. More times than not, Conservatives have a “leave me to my own decisions approach to life compared to liberals.

However, when it comes to Christianity..... “we MUST convert you because the Bible says so”. The complete opposite approach. It’s very rich and very compelling.

The problem is, they don’t see it/ignore it as the Bible says so and therefore I can’t nor won’t refute it.

(The amount of historical causes of cutting off nose despite the face is the reason why RESPECT is low amongst societies. It’s simple.... Jesus was a good man. For those that accept him as the son of God, great. For those that don’t, he has great parables to live your life by.)

I truly respect Jesus. But there are those will read what I just wrote above and want to dismiss me. It’s terribly sad and a wasted opportunity to brighten the light of good teachings.
Wow
"It’s simple.... Jesus was a good man. "

Too much of a softball......

No comments from me. Wouldn't expect you to respect them anyway.
All good, my man.
But, you are confused in believing what makes you "feel good"

Here's how a pretty deep thinker would reply (and one of my favorite all time quotes)

“I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God.' ......... That is the one thing we must not say.
A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher ...

You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse.

You can shut Him up for a fool ... or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God.

But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher.

He has not left that open to us.”

C.S. Lewis

So if you truly believe your religion and your religion says it’s the only path to heaven or paradise or whatever you want to call it and you don’t share it what does that make you?

its like knowing a building you’re in is on fire and it’s going to collapse but not letting anyone else in it know to get out because you don’t want to bother them

It's not very far at all.
I hope you one day soon make the trip.

Jesus said he was "it".
You know the verse: John 14:6 - That is the most important answer. Very clear.

What's the question, you say?
The most important: Matthew 16:15

You don't have to get everything right, but if you get those 2 wrong........
Yeah, you're not in a good place.
And, likely never will be.

No matter how 'religious' you are.........

(You do know you can be religious about lots of things: brushing your teeth, for example, or, wearing your mask while driving alone or swimming.... lots of stuff)

BTW - Forget that you are calling Christianity arrogant.
You're calling Jesus/God arrogant.

Not sure you're quite where you think you are as a 'church goer'.

It’s a hard concept but why would God send his Son to die on a cross if it wasn’t necessary?

It's not very far at all.
I hope you one day soon make the trip.

Jesus said he was "it".
You know the verse: John 14:6 - That is the most important answer. Very clear.

What's the question, you say?
The most important: Matthew 16:15

You don't have to get everything right, but if you get those 2 wrong........
Yeah, you're not in a good place.
And, likely never will be.

No matter how 'religious' you are.........

(You do know you can be religious about lots of things: brushing your teeth, for example, or, wearing your mask while driving alone or swimming.... lots of stuff)

BTW - Forget that you are calling Christianity arrogant.
You're calling Jesus/God arrogant.

Not sure you're quite where you think you are as a 'church goer'.
Not at all. I think your stance is arrogant, not that God is arrogant. But I hope the Lord blesses you and yours.

Wow
"It’s simple.... Jesus was a good man. "

Too much of a softball......

No comments from me. Wouldn't expect you to respect them anyway.
All good, my man.
But, you are confused in believing what makes you "feel good"

Here's how a pretty deep thinker would reply (and one of my favorite all time quotes)

“I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God.' ......... That is the one thing we must not say.
A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher ...

You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse.

You can shut Him up for a fool ... or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God.

But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher.

He has not left that open to us.”

C.S. Lewis
Im still at a loss. I’ve made it very clear for those that believe, I’m happy for you.

However, 70% of the population chooses to believe in something else. I cannot deny that. For Christians that do, may you find peace in those that are able to drawn upon different conclusions in this life and beyond.

For those going out of their way to tell other people what’s going to happen to them, I suggest to get your own house in order before casting stones elsewhere.

Im still at a loss. I’ve made it very clear for those that believe, I’m happy for you.

However, 70% of the population chooses to believe in something else. I cannot deny that. For Christians that do, may you find peace in those that are able to drawn upon different conclusions in this life and beyond.

For those going out of their way to tell other people what’s going to happen to them, I suggest to get your own house in order before casting stones elsewhere.

As a Christian I believe it is impossible to get our own house in order by ourself. Only God can do that as we are fallen and hopeless. Those who appear to have it in order most likely really don’t and suffer from pride or self righteousness or some other secret sin.
The only true to way to help some one along is to do it out of genuine love and care for their well being and future and not as a notch on your belt.

A lot of those that try to evangelize are out there doing it for their own sake to try to gain favor with God which we cannot do

They were mixed dna creations of the fallen angels and like the nephilim were drowned in the flood.

He could have done that for all mankind and still saved the good people who believe something else

What’s your definition of “good”? God made man for his glory. If you believe the Bible then you’re aware that man has been creating idols, false gods, etc for centuries. In those situations things don’t work out well for the non-believers. If there is only one true God who created us in his image for his glory and sent his only son to die a miserable death - why can you not fathom this same God would find it unacceptable to worship something other than him?

This is where man forgets we are the creature and not the Creator. We don’t get to do what we want, say it was good enough (to a flawed standard we set for ourselves) and then call God unloving because he doesn’t have a place for us/everyone. We don’t get to make the rules that God follows.

What’s your definition of “good”? God made man for his glory. If you believe the Bible then you’re aware that man has been creating idols, false gods, etc for centuries. In those situations things don’t work out well for the non-believers. If there is only one true God who created us in his image for his glory and sent his only son to die a miserable death - why can you not fathom this same God would find it unacceptable to worship something other than him?

This is where man forgets we are the creature and not the Creator. We don’t get to do what we want, say it was good enough (to a flawed standard we set for ourselves) and then call God unloving because he doesn’t have a place for us/everyone. We don’t get to make the rules that God follows.
Wow. Wasn’t talking about myself. I just can’t believe that God would not have a place for someone like Ghandi.

The Bible was created before organized law enforcement was enforced. People needed a meaning to life add in Organization plus morality. I mean if you believe the world is 6k years old I guess the Bible works but if we're being honest It's a moral compass

My man.

I'm not here to tell what to believe or what to do or what to say.
If you're talking about me. If that's how it comes across, forgive me.
...........nah my yob, maan.

As far as percentages go.........well, do we want to talk about the silent majority?
I think not.
Majority is God + 1.
History, somewhere, says Sodom & Gomorrah were almost 100% convinced of something. Didn't turn out that well for the majority.

As for casting stones, not sure what you mean.
Every living person will disappear into nothingness, return as a cow?, relive your life again and again..........come on man.

As for saying what's gonna happen to you or anyone else.......OK, guilty as charged.
I AM telling you, and everyone else in existence, what is going to happen to them.
Every living person will physically die and spend eternity in Heaven or Hell.

No one has to believe that, if they don't want. Just hope I'm wrong, and you're right.

As far as getting one's house in order..... that reeks of works.
There is nothing man, sinful man, can do to get his house in order before God.

People claiming Christianity are quite often doing as much damage as others are doing good. I may claim I'm an All-American 100 meter sprint champion. Does that make it true? Particularly if I'm 50 pounds overweight and flabby?
Does that diminish the NCAA track & field?

You sound like someone who is really searching or reaching.

Wish I was closer.
We could knock a lot of this around over a couple of beers, I think.

Reactions: wmnesbitt
He could have done that for all mankind and still saved the good people who believe something else

Could have.
But didn’t.
If Jesus was crucified, but the way to heaven is to do good or be good apart from any commitment to Christ, then Jesus died in vain.
He didn’t die in vain. He died to save anyone who believes in Him.
Sadly some don’t believe it, but I won’t stop sharing it.
I also won’t nag people about it. I present the facts and the Holy Spirit does the rest.
With all that said,

HE IS RISEN!!!

It’s the difference between fundamentalism and reason.

If your premise is built upon a fundamental belief that you must draw others in and the majority has reason to believe one or many other options, how it that outcome generally going to finish?

Wars, pain, suffering, killings, manipulation all in this vain. Go study history. If God/Jesus can’t stand on their own, then maybe it isn’t for everyone.
It seems you are the one ITT with the arrogance to scream from the mountaintops your stance. While beating up on Christians for the same thing. I specifically asked for this to be only about two chapters in the Bible. Nope. You had to interject what’s wrong with Christians over and over. But they are wrong to try to win over nonbelievers over and over? Seems hypocritical.

Like any other political or otherwise argument in today’s society I guess. Gotta go extreme and insinuate that each member of any one group is the same as the others.

I don’t think I’ve personally ever annoyed someone with me sharing Jesus. But I have shared my beliefs and try to live in a way that makes others want to know Him like I do. I don’t always succeed at that. I am a sinner and flawed, just like everybody here.

Last edited:
Which Bible is one supposed to follow? The Greek? King James? NIV? NLT? Why is it the book that is the absolute truth has so few footnotes? Is it because it went through a rigorous review process by a team of religious scholars?

Further, why are we not allowed to question the word of god if it only gets us closer to the truth? The Bible is absolutely a worthy read. There is much to learn from it. However, is it not possible the further we have moved from the original messenger that meaning has been corrupted?

I do appreciate the discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT