ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Florida Stand Your Ground Law. Opinions?

Normally I would say, correctly, that this is an idiotic law for idiots, but it seems like a natural fit for Florida.

Someone's life being in danger, and someone perceiving their life to be in danger in the heat of the moment are two different things.

It is very hard for a court to tell someone that they couldn't reasonably think that their life was in danger when they were just hit pretty hard by someone that looks to be a pretty big aggressive dude.

This isn't accurate. It depends on the circumstances. The person's subjective belief that they are in deadly or serious danger is compared to an objective standard of reasonability, taking into account their age, physical condition, etc. It could be very easy or very difficult depending on the context.

Here, the sheriff who declined to make an arrest is operating under an assumption that the only thing that matters under the statute is the defending individual's subjective belief, which is a misinterpretation of the statute. The belief has to be reasonable. It will not be difficult to show that it was unreasonable to shoot someone who had only shoved him to the ground and was backing away.

Reactions: tigerworx
This isn't accurate. It depends on the circumstances. The person's subjective belief that they are in deadly or serious danger is compared to an objective standard of reasonability, taking into account their age, physical condition, etc. It could be very easy or very difficult depending on the context.

Here, the sheriff who declined to make an arrest is operating under an assumption that the only thing that matters under the statute is the defending individual's subjective belief, which is a misinterpretation of the statute. The belief has to be reasonable. It will not be difficult to show that it was unreasonable to shoot someone who had only shoved him to the ground and was backing away.
Fully agree with this. Once the DA sees the video, I don't think there's any way he can't charge the shooter. Plain as day that once the gun was pulled, the victim was backing up and the shooter still shot to kill a good 5 seconds later. This is cold blooded murder and I hope this POS gets the book thrown at him. He gives a bad name to CWP holders everywhere.

Reactions: TigerGrowls
7 or 8 OT threads on the board and mine is the only one moved.

you managed to find a way to be the victim in this thread that you started also. It is truly a talent of yours.

See people ask the question all the time when their thread is moved and all the others are not. It’s a legit question.

What are y'all basing your opinions on? Is there video of the altercation?

What are y'all basing your opinions on? Is there video of the altercation?

I saw a video on Megyn Kelly today. I couldn't get one to link. It basically shows the man yelling outside the car at the woman for parking in the handicap spot. The guy comes out, sees him yelling at her and pushes him down. Man falls and as he is on the ground, raises up and pulls out gun and fires fatal shot. Murder.

Bad example.

He had the right to stand and defend himself no question. But so did Zimmerman.

Zimmerman called 911 and was told to stay on the car. Instead he followed Martin. To me that’s the crux of the matter. He was told not to engage and instead he decided to play cop. It’s murder.

And Martin had no business in that neighborhood...what's your point?

They were both idiots. Both of them were up to no good.

Martin’s family lived in that neighborhood. Besides, even if he didn’t, it’s not a crime to walk through a neighborhood. It’s a free country. Does he need a pass book to show where he has permission to be?

Martin’s family lived in that neighborhood. Besides, even if he didn’t, it’s not a crime to walk through a neighborhood. It’s a free country. Does he need a pass book to show where he has permission to be?
You sure he lived there? That's not how I remember it, but it's been a while.

Martin had every right to be there, but Zimmerman was also (probably) within his rights to follow and observe him (probably because I don't know the Florida laws on the subject). Therefore, nothing changes. Both were at fault.

You sure he lived there? That's not how I remember it, but it's been a while.

Martin had every right to be there, but Zimmerman was also (probably) within his rights to follow and observe him (probably because I don't know the Florida laws on the subject). Therefore, nothing changes. Both were at fault.

Just looked it up. He was with his dad visiting his fiancée who lived in the neighborhood.

Martin was walking. How was anything that happened his fault?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT