ADVERTISEMENT

OT: SC Governor's race

I will vote McMaster for his experience at the Federal & State level in achieving phenomenal progress. Plus he served 6 yrs as JAG officer & can bring cases before the Supreme Court. Impressive body of work.

Not sure what basis the thought that Smith is the overall best option for SC. He has similar start to politics & law without the successes in public service.

McMaster Bio

Smith bio

McMaster filed suit against NC over water transfers- after generating some publicity for an election and spending a few million dollars- he settled the case he had no chance of winning under the condition that NC tell us before they decided to do whatever they were going to do. Sounds like a well qualified litigator - NOT. Henry may win, but it will be based on being a career politician and a Trump endorsement, not on merit or ability.

Reactions: clemmer
On both sides of the isle, closed minds lead to continued mediocrity.
It is not closed minded to be consistently conservative. In fact, it requires a lot more courage to stand up for concervative values.

it requires a lot more courage to stand up for concervative values.
giphy.gif

We just need to make sure Lee Bright doesn’t get Gowdy’s spot
only problem is the other guy donated money to Graham. I cant get over that.

I will not vote for someone who donates money to Linsdey.

Happily, I dig the national Democratic platform. Regardless, his platform is right here for all to see. I hope that everyone who is voting is planning on reading the candidates platforms.

McMaster

Warren

For the life of me, I don't understand why experience is a bad thing on a resume now.
Whoa whoa whoa. I am supposed to read the platforms myself? I thought I was supposed to click on whoever had the letter I like better next to their name.

I bet next you will tell me it's a bad idea to vote straight-party. /s

Well, no he is not. And many of you who "want no part of him" do not know a single thing about him. Nor, will you make any effort to learn.
I go by Niki Haley's comments, and his campaign ads. However, I am always happy to learn more. Why do you think he is the man for the job?

Reactions: IMBlessed
So you're a registered republican but switching sides...interesting

This is a really confusing sentence.

My apologies. In the runoff between McMaster and Warren I think I'd rather McMaster win. I will vote for Smith against whoever wins the runoff. I'm not registered to a political party but that's more stubbornness than anything (I'm effectively a Democrat). You don't have to be registered to a party to vote in these sorts of elections in SC.

Reactions: IMBlessed
It is not closed minded to be consistently conservative. In fact, it requires a lot more courage to stand up for concervative values.

Not in this state- anyone can be consistently conservative- courage is not required to follow the herd. I just hope you got to a conservative position on each issue by rational thought as opposed to simply not listening to both sides of a discussion.

Not in this state- anyone can be consistently conservative- courage is not required to follow the herd. I just hope you got to a conservative position on each issue by rational thought as opposed to simply not listening to both sides of a discussion.
Nobody running with an (R) or a (D) by their name represents fiscally conservative values anymore anyway.

This race has been very disheartening for me. I gave a fairly significant amount of money to Catherine Templeton, I even had a fundraiser for her at my home. However, she obviously listen to the wrong people when it came to her campaign strategy and overall messaging. It is really a shame because I think she had the potential to be a very good governor.

I have only met John Warren once. Regardless of one's political affiliation, it is hard not to be impressed by his overall biography.

People calling him a predatory lender are stretching the truth a tad, in my opinion. He loans Money to Real Estate Investors at interest rates someone higher than what you would get from a bank, but you are also incurring more risk when you lend someone who is trying to flip property and make money on it, as opposed to just live in the property and paying monthly mortgage payment every month.

My dad and his crowd around town are enamored with Warren.

My wife and McMasters daughter room together in college, and she is always been very nice to me. I think South Carolina has enough strong leaders at the federal and local level that we can survive with any of the three is governor. I will probably vote for Warren in the runoff, but I would not be shocked if McMaster pulls this thing out 51% to 49% or something in that range.

only problem is the other guy donated money to Graham. I cant get over that.

I will not vote for someone who donates money to Linsdey.

Lee Bright wanted S.C. to have their own currency. He is a bull in a china shop.

I could care less if he donated to Graham...Bright is awful. I want Graham out as much as anyone but if we go from Gowdy to Bright we will be a laughing stock. Bright will embarrass our state

Not a Republican or a Democrat here. Have major issues with the way both parties are run. I do lean right however. Will be voting Smith and happy to do it. The man's a purple heart and bronze star Veteran, family man, and besides...we are talking about SC governor's race. Its not like he gets a vote in the US House or Senate. Will disclose that I met him for the first time about 4 years ago. Recently experienced a house fire and at the time I couldn't rub two cents together. Him and Kirkland (wife) took me to Cola's on a whim and bought me dinner. Always thought it said a ton about his character.

Lee Bright wanted S.C. to have their own currency. He is a bull in a china shop.

I could care less if he donated to Graham...Bright is awful. I want Graham out as much as anyone but if we go from Gowdy to Bright we will be a laughing stock. Bright will embarrass our state
Very True. I just cant stand Graham or anyone that would send him money.

That's been our problem, these people go to Washington and they aren't who they said they were.

Last edited:
So your Not With President Trump, Congress or Senate...also, you Can’t Be voting for a So call group of Republicans in Out State Office, after all Things like SCE&G are not in keeping with Conservative Values, are they? Just Asking!

Not a Republican or a Democrat here. Have major issues with the way both parties are run. I do lean right however. Will be voting Smith and happy to do it. The man's a purple heart and bronze star Veteran, family man, and besides...we are talking about SC governor's race. Its not like he gets a vote in the US House or Senate. Will disclose that I met him for the first time about 4 years ago. Recently experienced a house fire and at the time I couldn't rub two cents together. Him and Kirkland (wife) took me to Cola's on a whim and bought me dinner. Always thought it said a ton about his character.
I'm going to have to do some homework I guess, hadn't put enough thought into Smith as an option.

I appreciate your concern about my rational thought. After listening to liberal positions for many years, I have learned to ignore them.

So the president who won the office by pledging to drain the swamp throws support to the textbook definition of Career politician/swamp dweller? And people don’t think that’s odd?

McMaster is a joke and has been for 30 years. It’s the one thing democrats and republicans should be able to agree on.

Columbia is a cess pool. That idiot needs to go. Warren or the Dem are better choices.

Do you recall what happened to the beaches in the Gulf a few years ago? The damage from the exploded oil rig caused decades worth of harm to the oceans. Tourism took it on the chin for quite a while.
Of course. Terrible tragedy in 2010. That wasn’t EXPLORATION. That was drilling. I would also think we had great learnings and the drilling industry is even safer now. I would not say decades of harm. 3-4 years of tough times after the incident but it’s thriving now. The people and the ocean are very resilient.

ADVERTISEMENT