ADVERTISEMENT

OT: SC Governor's race

This begs the question as to why hasn't McMaster persuaded the administration already to prohibit drilling on the coast? Why would his election in November create a new incentive for Trump to change his position?

McMaster will never be better positioned than today to get that out of the administration. He should tell the administration he NEEDS that driling prohibition now in order to win the primary. If he wins the primary, all his leverage is lost.

Interesting how many Republicans suddenly become environmentalists when it comes to coastline drilling but if it is the center of the country it is "drill, baby, drill."
Bet all the coastal guys would be all for drilling along hwy 11. And no lip service response necessary.

There is a back story to McMaster becoming governor. As you probably remember, Nikki Haley was not a fan of DJT during the Republican primary in 2015-2016 and was openly critical of some of his positions/comments. So why does he appoint her as UN Ambassador? Henry McMaster was the highest level statewide official in U.S. to first endorse Trump, and Trump owed him big time. Trump apparently floated a couple of positions by McMaster, and he replied that all he ever wanted to be was Governor of SC. So Trump named Haley to UN, and McMaster got his wish.
This is true. Henry was the first politician to endorse Trump (that had any real clout). Trump was so appreciative, he told him he could name the position he wanted in his new administration. He chose governor of South Carolina. He's not a career politician, he's a career statesman. If he wanted to dip his feet in the DC sesspool, he could have, but he chose to stay here bc he's always only wanted to serve our state in any capacity he could. He's not a Bernie Sanders who leaches off the govt. And he's not a Lindsey Graham whose opinion changes with public opinion.

As far as offshore drilling is involved:
https://www.postandcourier.com/news...cle_b4162f12-f614-11e7-b5bc-1b205b230114.html
This is actually is a very personal subject for him and has already talked to Trump about this. Whether or not he decides to listen is another matter.

There is a back story to McMaster becoming governor. As you probably remember, Nikki Haley was not a fan of DJT during the Republican primary in 2015-2016 and was openly critical of some of his positions/comments. So why does he appoint her as UN Ambassador? Henry McMaster was the highest level statewide official in U.S. to first endorse Trump, and Trump owed him big time. Trump apparently floated a couple of positions by McMaster, and he replied that all he ever wanted to be was Governor of SC. So Trump named Haley to UN, and McMaster got his wish.
And also, who's kicking ass and taking names right now in the UN? Who is getting a fierce reputation nationwide, and even globally? Some people are already calling for her to be on the ballot in the future. Nikki Haley sure as hell beats Hillary Clinton as the first female president ever. I'd love for SC to be represented in the White House.

This race has been very disheartening for me. I gave a fairly significant amount of money to Catherine Templeton, I even had a fundraiser for her at my home. However, she obviously listen to the wrong people when it came to her campaign strategy and overall messaging. It is really a shame because I think she had the potential to be a very good governor.

I have only met John Warren once. Regardless of one's political affiliation, it is hard not to be impressed by his overall biography.

People calling him a predatory lender are stretching the truth a tad, in my opinion. He loans Money to Real Estate Investors at interest rates someone higher than what you would get from a bank, but you are also incurring more risk when you lend someone who is trying to flip property and make money on it, as opposed to just live in the property and paying monthly mortgage payment every month.

My dad and his crowd around town are enamored with Warren.

My wife and McMasters daughter room together in college, and she is always been very nice to me. I think South Carolina has enough strong leaders at the federal and local level that we can survive with any of the three is governor. I will probably vote for Warren in the runoff, but I would not be shocked if McMaster pulls this thing out 51% to 49% or something in that range.
Templeton's campaign team gave her poor guidance and created a terrible strategy. They have run more than one campaign into the ground in past 10 years. She could have been strong 2nd place, but her team mishandled her and her messaging.

Of course. Terrible tragedy in 2010. That wasn’t EXPLORATION. That was drilling. I would also think we had great learnings and the drilling industry is even safer now. I would not say decades of harm. 3-4 years of tough times after the incident but it’s thriving now. The people and the ocean are very resilient.

Many scientists and environmental experts say it will be decades before the full front brunt of the damage will be known. Many species will suffer a longterm impact. Is there oil still visible? No, but it's also not as if it never happened.

https://www.niva.no/en/publications/environmental-effects-of-the-deepwater-horizon-oil-spill

I would hope that you're right in that the industry has learned and is safer now (I have my doubt$). I'm not sure if exploration and drilling have any real difference between them in the end. If companies explore and find enough oil that's economically viable, then they are going to drill. With the way the market is trending now in both oil and alternative energy sectors, the environmental impact and risk might not be worth the squeeze.

You talking about being close minded and a lack of tolerance is a hallmark of liberalism. You should watch Fox News. You might learn something.

Tucker Carlson? Sean Hannity? Nah I will pass.

Before you say anything i dont watch Maddow or Cooper either.

So just out of curiosity, are you TI'ers voting for Warren or McMaster? And if McMaster, is it because Trump says so? Conversely, if Warren, why?

I call McMaster “A Door Stop”.

Thats about what I see him good at doing.

And noone willing to caucus with Democrats in 2018 is worthy to lead the Great State of South Carolina.

I am voting for the best person I see running for governor, and that would be James Smith. And it ain't even close. Now, I'm sure that Smith will immediately be labeled a "tax and spend liberal." To which I will reply that this is South Carolina, and regardless of party, there are no "tax and spend liberals" running for office.[/QUOT

with some of what you
On both sides of the isle, closed minds lead to continued medioc
So you're a registered republican but switching sides...interesting

Smith could act
Not a Republican or a Democrat here. Have major issues with the way both parties are run. I do lean right however. Will be voting Smith and happy to do it. The man's a purple heart and bronze star Veteran, family man, and besides...we are talking about SC governor's race. Its not like he gets a vote in the US House or Senate. Will disclose that I met him for the first time about 4 years ago. Recently experienced a house fire and at the time I couldn't rub two cents together. Him and Kirkland (wife) took me to Cola's on a whim and bought me dinner. Always thought it said a ton about his character.

I wanted Smith to be a Conservative Democrat, in case the Republicans screwed up their nomination.
Hes a Gamecock, I can get over that. But a military man talking about banning military style rifles is a red flag... and I hope this State wont allow someone with that low an intellect into the Governors office. And since McMaster is a “Door Stop”...that leaves Warren as the last man standing.

I wanted Smith to be a Conservative Democrat, in case the Republicans screwed up their nomination.
Hes a Gamecock, I can get over that. But a military man talking about banning military style rifles is a red flag... and I hope this State wont allow someone with that low an intellect into the Governors office. And since McMaster is a “Door Stop”...that leaves Warren as the last man standing.

As a combat veteran, he has probably seen how dangerous a civilian with a combat weapon can be the general population or the unarmed/unaware.

As a veteran, one of the last things I want to see is a moron with a real assault weapon or one of the military mock-ups that has been modified- might as well teach them to make IEDs and detonators. Unfortunately we have entirely too many morons, hero wannabes, crazies and even terrorist sympathizers walking the streets. If we actually required folks to have some training, it wouldn't be so bad. I support the second amendment, but weaponry has progressed too far for morons to have immediate access without some screening or training.

If you are a veteran you know how many assault type weapons are freely available on a military post- zero. You know about the controls on range munitions - every round and kilo of explosive is accounted for. You also remember the safeguards/range protocols used to keep morons from hurting bystanders. This is with people that should know what they are doing and have been vetted to some extent and have been dry fire practicing- now let's give every Bubba with $500 a modified military style weapon-and a couple of 30 round clips- no thanks.

Reactions: Tiger1425
As a combat veteran, he has probably seen how dangerous a civilian with a combat weapon can be the general population or the unarmed/unaware.

As a veteran, one of the last things I want to see is a moron with a real assault weapon or one of the military mock-ups that has been modified- might as well teach them to make IEDs and detonators. Unfortunately we have entirely too many morons, hero wannabes, crazies and even terrorist sympathizers walking the streets. If we actually required folks to have some training, it wouldn't be so bad. I support the second amendment, but weaponry has progressed too far for morons to have immediate access without some screening or training.

If you are a veteran you know how many assault type weapons are freely available on a military post- zero. You know about the controls on range munitions - every round and kilo of explosive is accounted for. You also remember the safeguards/range protocols used to keep morons from hurting bystanders. This is with people that should know what they are doing and have been vetted to some extent and have been dry fire practicing- now let's give every Bubba with $500 a modified military style weapon-and a couple of 30 round clips- no thanks.

I am an Army Vet.

A semi-auto rifle should not be banned because of how it looks.

Thats shallow and intellectually dishonest.

Bubbas are the backbone of this country and will be first in line to defend it when it next comes time to do that. If we can keep it from falling apart.

Have you ever noticed what States a large portion of our volunteer military hail from?

There is a reason we have a second ammendment and its not to protect hunting.

Though I can sympathize with your view, we are talking about the Governor of South Carolina.

The slope can be slippery on both sides of the debate, but I fall on the side that to take something away in SC you need to show me a chronic problem in SC that cant be solved another way.

Last edited:
The governor of South Carolina can't ban assault weapons, can't marry gay people, can't make abortion illegal, can't do much of anything in this state. So, why are you people crying about all this?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT