ADVERTISEMENT

Positive and Concerning Thoughts From the Week

nmerritt11

Jan 30, 2006
Recruiting:

Let's start with recruiting: Plain and simple...this class needs to close with a bang. The 3.75 star ranking is great but let's be honest, the initial number set forth by the staff was too small. I'll touch on this more in the Thad portion.

Positives: Clemson has a natural born leader committed that is the most important recruit in the class in Klubnik with two solid ass OL to help protect him. 2 solid WR and a TE I think may end up the most underrated player in the class after talking to people whose evaluations trust. Also, the DB class is tremendous. It is currently Dandy Dozen 2.0 with hopes of a few more commits and a surprise or two that Dabo pulls out his ass as he has plenty of times

Negatives: Crazy small class with no defensive lineman with roster numbers already low and decommits this week have hurt momentum and rival teams are going to continue to attack while they can. Also, no RB and carrying just 3 scholarship RB is scary especially if one decides to transfer.

Venables and his expected replacements:

Positives: I've got nothing here outside of I am happy he was patient and awaited the job that was the perfect fit and I hope he succeeds. Well, one more I just thought of...everyone I have spoken to that knows Goodwin has been highly complimentary of his football IQ. Goodwin is going to be a star somewhere at some point if he is able to be a good gameday coach which is to be seen but if BV wanted him, I have to have some cautious optimism. Maybe he is the defensive version of Joe Brady who vaults onto the scene. One can hope right?

Negatives: Clemson lost arguably the best defensive mind in the country. He is likely to be replaced by 2 guys who have never called plays on the college level and one who has always been behind the scenes and never recruited while the other is a former high school coach that has not had a ton of success on the recruiting trail without BV's assistance.

Elliott and his expected replacements:

Positives: Let me start by saying, Tony is probably in between the people who think he is awful and the people who immediately throw out playoffs and championships to defend this years offense. The positives are, I think the offense has a good foundation to build on but it was time for some fresh ideas and new concepts. I do think from Streeter's days in Richmond and Richardson's at Northwestern that they are a little more attack minded. Also, Richardson developed pretty much every QB into record breaking high school QB's that went on to play in college. He is known for air raid concepts and I think he should immediately be pass game coordinator and I think even if he is not QB coach he will help Streeter with DJ and Klubnik being on the field full time.

Negatives: Streeter nor Richardson have called plays in a while outside of Streeter in last years playoffs with less than a weeks notice so it will take some time to adapt and get the feel for it at this level. They have a lot of work to do in spring and while the offense doesn't need an overhaul, it needs some advancement and some wrinkles while DJ taking the necessary steps and giving Klubnik a year to develop his body and add weight would be best case scenario. A lot of work to do...

Thad

Positives: From everything I've heard Thad was rubbing a good many people the wrong way and I am not sure his new position was the best fit for him. I think his specialty is taking the coaches vision and making it reality. That job was done and done well. He got us Clemson google, coordinated facilities, put forth a great gameday experience for recruits, improved marketing initiatives, and helped put a great support team together. Job well done but I think he better suits doing what he did for Dabo in Oklahoma and it sounds like it was time. I do not think Dabo will be too upset with his exit but thankful for all he did

Negatives: I have wandered and might and typed on the board before, but it seems since he left his other position where he was very involved with recruiting board, numbers, and gameday activities for recruits that our recruiting board, numbers, and organization has taken a hit. Is that because of Jeff Scott leaving or a combination of both Thad changing positions and Jeff leaving? I think Bates might be a good fit as recruiting coordinator if Streeter goes to OC. He seems to enjoy recruiting more than the others

Other Thoughts

Are the exits completed? Will Tony take anyone or will BV snag anyone else? The thoughts are the attrition on staff is not done whether with support staff or on the field. This will be something to watch as Dabo announces staff and Tony and BV finish putting theirs together

All in All Dabo is still the head coach. This is where we find out if he will continue the legacy he has already created and can rebuild while staying successful. Saban found out that promoting from within was not always the best way to go. Is it time to go outside or is Dabo making the right moves again? Only time will tell but in Dabo I do trust. This may be what relights the fire. Many thought Saban was on his way out, he was making lazy hires from within as staff left and it almost bit him...few turned out to be great, some not so great but he was always adapting and changes

This offseason we will see the direction this program is going

1. Will offensive add some adjustments and wrinkles...motion and eye candy to scheme people open and give OL help in numbers. Will the run game add some things to help run game and play action. Can the staff rid of some tendencies?
2. Will Dabo close this recruiting class with some wins and some surprises?
3. Will Dabo finally see the need in utilizing the portal at certain positions?

It will be a spring and fall camp to remember. Clemson has been lucky to keep staff together this long

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News