ADVERTISEMENT

Remarkable press conference just now...

So, you are saying this is all about self preservation and self promotion and not actually about doing the right thing to save lives? You are probably right. That is how his mind works. When presented with the fact today that we may see 100k deaths in the next month alone, even with an expanded shutdown, he embraces the fact that we are facing 2.2 million deaths if we do nothing. Now he can say he saved 2 million lives instead of costing 100k their lives when people are mourning the loss of their loved ones and looking at the man who said just a month ago that he had it all under control and those 15 cases would be down to 0 in just a couple of days.
It was never gonna be 2 million & it won’t be 100k...y’all just bought the media BS...

Trump didn’t believe those numbers either...& I still don’t think he does. But if the media is continually feeding the people this notion that these “measures” we’ve taken is gonna save millions, don’t you think the sitting President is gonna take advantage of the layup they are giving him? Especially in an election year?? Libs are making this so easy for him & they don’t even realize it.

It was never gonna be 2 million & it won’t be 100k...y’all just bought the media BS...

Trump didn’t believe those numbers either...& I still don’t think he does. But if the media is continually feeding the people this notion that these “measures” we’ve taken is gonna save millions, don’t you think the sitting President is gonna take advantage of the layup they are giving him? Especially in an election year?? Libs are making this so easy for him & they don’t even realize it.
it will be below these numbers
https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

The US has a population of 330,000,000+/-. The infection rate is projected to be 40% to 80%. Thus between 132,000,000 and 264,000,000 will be infected. Applying the mortality rate of 1.67% to this the numbers are huge. ( 2.2 million to 4.4 million). My understanding is that the social distancing strategy doesn't really change the totals, it merely changes how quickly the virus spreads. But, then again, Trump said it was under control. His BS didn't affect the virus but its still believed by his dumbass supporters.
some reality for you princess
https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

You wait: by the time of the November elections, Trump will be claiming HE saved 2 million lives due to his leadership. And the jimbobs and the Earles will be agreeing with him!

A large part of the prowess of our scientific community is attributable to graduate schools (particularly in math and science) chock full of imported talent from around the world. Likewise as to technical employees of many of our science-based companies. It is not native born Americans alone who have made this happen. But what I stated is nevertheless true. Other countries have standouts too (and in some cases even world leaders), and the margin between us and some other countries particularly with respect to universities has been shrinking fast in recent years. A quick google search revealed the following.

8 of the 15 top pharmaceutical companies are US companies per this list. No other country has more than 2. https://www.getreskilled.com/pharmaceutical-companies/

3 of the top 5 life sciences universities in the world are US per this list.
https://www.timeshighereducation.co...ities/best-universities-life-sciences-degrees

4 of the top 5 math/physics/chemistry universities in the world are US per this list.
https://www.timeshighereducation.co...versities-physics-chemistry-and-maths-degrees

All of this is part of why I find our bumbling response to CV19 both inexplicable and inexcusable. We should be leading the world in the response - not leading the world in cases and negative impact.
Maybe we aren't as smart as we think we are. That might explain some of the bumbling. Also might it be possible that the source sighted in the link is american and still based on people's opinions.

The president just said that “2.2 million people and probably many more” lives have been saved by the current measures being taken to mitigate the spread of COVID19. And that is just in the U.S. during this initial outbreak. That is also why he now says he has decided to extend the measures that are being taken through at least April 30th and he acknowledged it may be longer. This tells me the data he was presented with today by Birx and Faulci was pretty convincing.

If that 2.2 million number is even close to accurate, and we may never know, anyone who has been criticizing this effort and the warnings from the scientists and health professionals would look pretty foolish.

Hopefully some of the hold outs will listen to the president when they won’t listen to anyone else. Time to get serious about this on all sides, kick its ass, and get on with life.
That's not really how math works. What is 2.2 million saved lives relative to lives potentially saved? What if the potential number of lives saved was 22 million? I'm not saying it is, but you have to do all the math. 2.2 million saved out of 2.8... amazing. 2.2 out of 22 million... bad? I dunno, but there isn't enough data here to make either assertion.

So you showed me what the leftist New York Times reported about a conspiracy to get rid of Dr. Fauci. Let me help you here. Is Dr. Fauci still part of the Trump team to combat this covid19 outbreak? The answer is yes. Will he remain part of this team? The answer in my view is yes. People can say anything, regardless whether right or left leaning which doesn't mean it has an impact of what the President is doing. Did the NYT do an intensive investigation to confirm the reliability of the tweets, etc. from individuals? It doesn't appear so. So how do you know that the tweets were not done by Democrats posing as Trump supporters against Dr. Fauci? Other outlets such as Judicial Watch can have their opinions on any subject but it doesn't mean it affects what the President is doing or will do. Just look on the liberal side of publications against anything Trump does. There are many! Liberals should be able to handle adverse press about them just like conservatives do. The bottom line is Dr. Fauci is still in his position on the covid19 team.

Right on schedule, the Fauci smear campaign has arrived at tiger illustrated.

So, it's a smear campaign of Dr. Fauci if a person has an opinion on a subject that Dr. Fauci is involved in? Nothing personal, okclem, but that is a little weird because you are doing exactly what you accused the poster of doing!

Setting unrealistic goals is the absolute worst error a leader can make.

Imagine Churchill telling his citizens not that it will take “blood, sweat and tears” to defeat the enemy but instead, “hang in there, folks. We have it under control and we will end this war on Easter Sunday.”

Which is showing true leadership?

Perhaps you and I saw some different quotes and "Goals" that the president suggested. I heard the president say that he could see "part" of the economy coming back by Easter. Based on the data he had at the time he felt it was possible and he so stated. As the "model" or "situation" progressed in time it became apparent that some alterations needed to be made and he did that. By his suggesting the Easter date it got a lot of folks involved at looking at the Easter date and the possibility of a partial opening of the economy. Locking in on any one idea is a flaw IMO. You must adjust as new info come in on any subject or decision. Good leaders do that all the time. Lastly, the books I have read on the great leader, Churchill, certainly don't suggest that he would have done as you suggested in your post above. He made a lot of adjustments in his decisions during wartime. He was a really great leader.

Perhaps you and I saw some different quotes and "Goals" that the president suggested. I heard the president say that he could see "part" of the economy coming back by Easter. Based on the data he had at the time he felt it was possible and he so stated. As the "model" or "situation" progressed in time it became apparent that some alterations needed to be made and he did that. By his suggesting the Easter date it got a lot of folks involved at looking at the Easter date and the possibility of a partial opening of the economy. Locking in on any one idea is a flaw IMO. You must adjust as new info come in on any subject or decision. Good leaders do that all the time. Lastly, the books I have read on the great leader, Churchill, certainly don't suggest that he would have done as you suggested in your post above. He made a lot of adjustments in his decisions during wartime. He was a really great leader.
Trump's unrealistic expectations and remarks pre-date anything he said about reopening the economy by Easter. It was his early comments suggesting that, "we are at 15 cases quickly going to zero;" and "we have this under control," and "if you want a test, you can have a test" when all those comments did was give false hopes to people who believed in him (those of us who don't weren't fooled). In short, those aren't 'aspirational' statements to boost the morale of Americans. They simply were uninformed when they should not have been said. Intelligence agencies and medical experts were telling him a different story but he went with his gut, not the truth.

He even called CV "like the flu." Now he is singing a different tune. He will soon claim his actions ("I alone could do it") will have saved 2.2 million people from dying.

Furthest thing from the truth. We should be thankful, instead, to the aggressive steps governors have taken despite what Trump has said.

Wow. I guess I wasn't self-aware enough to know that I was a dumbass and not intelligent like you.

I thought that I had an an Ivy League undergraduate degree.
I thought that I had a Masters Degree.
I thought that I had led men in combat multiple times at increasing levels of responsibility.
I thought that I have been successful and been promoted multiple times over a 30yr military career.

It's a wonder that I can tie my shoes.

@clemsontyger04, please regale me with your intelligence.

And also update me on Russia's involvement in this epidemic given their role in Trump's election.

@clemsontyger04

Bumping this post.

Until there is a vaccine, as Dr. Fauci said, "the virus sets the timeline" to getting back to normal (or the new version of it).

No, the key is getting a treatment that can mitigate symptoms (many of which are in trial now). A vaccine is a separate issue down the road as it doesn’t help those who get sick. Once we can mitigate symptoms we can risk exposure to the virus without all the fear.

Trump's unrealistic expectations and remarks pre-date anything he said about reopening the economy by Easter. It was his early comments suggesting that, "we are at 15 cases quickly going to zero;" and "we have this under control," and "if you want a test, you can have a test" when all those comments did was give false hopes to people who believed in him (those of us who don't weren't fooled). In short, those aren't 'aspirational' statements to boost the morale of Americans. They simply were uninformed when they should not have been said. Intelligence agencies and medical experts were telling him a different story but he went with his gut, not the truth.

He even called CV "like the flu." Now he is singing a different tune. He will soon claim his actions ("I alone could do it") will have saved 2.2 million people from dying.

Furthest thing from the truth. We should be thankful, instead, to the aggressive steps governors have taken despite what Trump has said.

kgwillison, I have read your post a couple of times and you make some points. AS WE KNOW IT NOW, the presidents statement of opening the economy partially by Easter was not realistic. At any time in the development of data on this disease did the president not do what his advisors suggested? No, he didn't. Secondly, according to the CDC, the coronavirus (covid19) is in the family of flu type of viruses, however, in some cases far more serious and deadly than conventional flu type viruses. Some recent studies indicate a mutation into two different strains, L and S. with the L being the far more serious one and the S being the strain more like conventional flu. Thirdly , the president did make some statements about "15 cases and going down" but you neglected to mention any statements that he made about the severity of the situation around the same time. The Washington Post, if you can believe them, has an article about the statements Trump has made. Lastly, you give great credit to the "aggressive steps taken by governors" despite what Trump has said. Most of the governors have taken aggressive steps but if you check dates you will find that it was in coordination with the aggressive steps taken by the health experts and our federal government. Have there been some errors? Yes, I would say so, but if you look at the situation in it's totality, I think the president has down a good job of adjusting as more data comes available as is shown every day. I certainly respect your opinions to the contrary, but I see it a different way. Is the president boastful in some of his statements? I would say yes, but his actions are what I measure him by and those have been good. Double lastly, You have never heard the president say that if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor and your medical cost are going to be lower with my health plan, and I am a Christian, and those jobs are never going to come back (they did under Trump). Measure a person by what they do and not what they say sometimes.

seeing you and your fellow trumpsters spin this thing is entertaining. A mere two weeks ago you yelled at “libs” to stop politicizing it when we pointed out that trump was downplaying the virus to increase his chances at reelection.

Two weeks later, now you are claiming that trump is masterfully up-playing the virus to get himself re-elected, and you see no irony in that. The only people who bring up November’s election in these coronavirus threads all the time are you guys.

seeing you and your fellow trumpsters spin this thing is entertaining. A mere two weeks ago you yelled at “libs” to stop politicizing it when we pointed out that trump was downplaying the virus to increase his chances at reelection.

Two weeks later, now you are claiming that trump is masterfully up-playing the virus to get himself re-elected, and you see no irony in that. The only people who bring up November’s election in these coronavirus threads all the time are you guys.
I never said he was playing it up...but your liberal heroes are giving him a layup & they don’t even know it....
So, who’s the idiots?

kgwillison, I have read your post a couple of times and you make some points. AS WE KNOW IT NOW, the presidents statement of opening the economy partially by Easter was not realistic. At any time in the development of data on this disease did the president not do what his advisors suggested? No, he didn't. Secondly, according to the CDC, the coronavirus (covid19) is in the family of flu type of viruses, however, in some cases far more serious and deadly than conventional flu type viruses. Some recent studies indicate a mutation into two different strains, L and S. with the L being the far more serious one and the S being the strain more like conventional flu. Thirdly , the president did make some statements about "15 cases and going down" but you neglected to mention any statements that he made about the severity of the situation around the same time. The Washington Post, if you can believe them, has an article about the statements Trump has made. Lastly, you give great credit to the "aggressive steps taken by governors" despite what Trump has said. Most of the governors have taken aggressive steps but if you check dates you will find that it was in coordination with the aggressive steps taken by the health experts and our federal government. Have there been some errors? Yes, I would say so, but if you look at the situation in it's totality, I think the president has down a good job of adjusting as more data comes available as is shown every day. I certainly respect your opinions to the contrary, but I see it a different way. Is the president boastful in some of his statements? I would say yes, but his actions are what I measure him by and those have been good. Double lastly, You have never heard the president say that if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor and your medical cost are going to be lower with my health plan, and I am a Christian, and those jobs are never going to come back (they did under Trump). Measure a person by what they do and not what they say sometimes.

fair enough. The WHO warned the White House on 12/31 that this virus was really bad and it was heading our way. They even offered us tests which trump refused. One month later trump ordered a travel ban. Two months later trump started to address the lack of tests (there are still not enough), three months later trump started to address the lack of basic medical supplies for our medical personnel to battle the virus (there are still not enough). So i agree, let’s judge him in what he has done, or in this case he what he failed to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT