ADVERTISEMENT

Taxes, Taxes, Taxes - Biden Raising Long Term Capital Gains Tax

1.5MM internally displaced and 20,000 civilian deaths in Gaza = “The genocide must stop!”

6.5MM global refugees and 50,000 (likely much higher) civilian deaths in Ukraine = “Fvck Yeah!”
I’m not really sure I understand this post. I think most everyone would be pretty thrilled if the civilian deaths in both Gaza and Ukraine ended? I feel like I’m missing your point on this one, I’m not seeing a lot of celebration out there for civilian deaths in Ukraine.

Reactions: yoshi121374
Hamas should maybe stop hiding behind innocent civilians.

Maybe this should be acknowledged.
Hamas is a disaster and Israel is/was justified in responding against them. However, Israel’s response has also been a disaster. The answer from either side seems, more or less, to be to completely wipe out the other, civilians and all.

When people say “free Palestine” what they’re really saying is that Israel should not exist and all of that land should belong to the Palestinians and they’d support genocide to accomplish that. Israel’s argument is essentially that Palestinians shouldn’t exist in Gaza and it should all belong to Israel and they’re also willing to support genocide to accomplish that. It’s “stop genocide….against us but not against them!” From both sides.

Which, of course, brings us to the true disaster and the ultimate cause for all of this and that is religion. One group built their holy site on top of another group’s holy site and 1300 years later they’re still killing each other over it.

I’m not really sure I understand this post. I think most everyone would be pretty thrilled if the civilian deaths in both Gaza and Ukraine ended? I feel like I’m missing your point on this one, I’m not seeing a lot of celebration out there for civilian deaths in Ukraine.
Is anyone celebrating the deaths of civilians in gaza?

I mean, you’re fvcking kidding right? That is absolutely absurd for investment income.

I’m pulling more of my options out this month to hedge against this lunacy.
That’s really ****ing stupid.
I’m just explaining the two proposals. Nothing is going to be passed without negotiations, so those numbers are going to drop. It’s how this whole process works - throw out a high number, Rs will counter, then meet somewhere in the middle in agreement…or nothing gets passed and it’s all moot.

I’m just explaining the two proposals. Nothing is going to be passed without negotiations, so those numbers are going to drop. It’s how this whole process works - throw out a high number, Rs will counter, then meet somewhere in the middle in agreement…or nothing gets passed and it’s all moot.
How about us stop sending money to others and lower our taxes?

Absolute black hole of our tax dollars. I typically don’t get riled up, but this subject will take me there. Make all the sacrifices, put my family’s well being on the line, just to have a bunch of lifelong leech politicians vote on taking more of what I earn.

It’s a scam.

How about us stop sending money to others and lower our taxes?
Because it's in the US' best interests to support our allies across the globe, as well as to support those most vulnerable in our country. I absolutely hate paying the amount of taxes I do, but I understand it's a necessary sacrifice that each American makes for the collective good. I don't believe cutting social services spending is the right choice, as I personally believe that it's our duty to help those who can't help themselves. I understand that not everyone shares that sentiment, and I'm fine with that. I'm not nearly smart enough to think I have all the answers, but I do know that tax cuts on the wealthy don't help anyone but the upper class.

Because it's in the US' best interests to support our allies across the globe, as well as to support those most vulnerable in our country. I absolutely hate paying the amount of taxes I do, but I understand it's a necessary sacrifice that each American makes for the collective good. I don't believe cutting social services spending is the right choice, as I personally believe that it's our duty to help those who can't help themselves. I understand that not everyone shares that sentiment, and I'm fine with that. I'm not nearly smart enough to think I have all the answers, but I do know that tax cuts on the wealthy don't help anyone but the upper class.

What is considered “wealthy” by the narrative pushing folks in these situations, is not “wealthy”. $400k/year is not wealthy. LT cap gains are earned by taking risks. At any point, those deals could fall through and a person lose what they have.

I’m all for helping others.. very much so. My wife and I stay aware of who we should help. Our government throwing our money into a black hole of nothing is a totally separate conversation.

What is considered “wealthy” by the narrative pushing folks in these situations, is not “wealthy”. $400k/year is not wealthy. LT cap gains are earned by taking risks. At any point, those deals could fall through and a person lose what they have.

I’m all for helping others.. very much so. My wife and I stay aware of who we should help. Our government throwing our money into a black hole of nothing is a totally separate conversation.
His primary proposal is a 2.6% increase for those making over $1mm/year in income, and a second proposal (where the 44.6% number comes from) would only affect those making over $1mm/year in income AND $400k/year in investment income.

I’m not saying I support the proposal, but it’s at least a starting point to begin negotiations. And like prime said, this shit’ll never pass as it currently stands.

If Biden raises the Capital Gains Tax to 46% and puts a 25% on unrealized capital gains, I guarantee you people will be renouncing US citizenship at levels no one even knew were possible.The acceleration toward all-out communism is coming faster than any of us imagined.And stop giving me the “it only applies to people who make $100,000,000 or more” garbage line.The original income tax rates were 1% and 6%. Now folks are out here paying 50% of their income to the government like it’s a normal thing.They’ll start that out on people with $100,000,000 and within 15 years everyone who makes over $400,000 will pay it.And within 15 years with the way this here inflation is going, $400,000 will just about be the minimum wage.

His primary proposal is a 2.6% increase for those making over $1mm/year in income, and a second proposal (where the 44.6% number comes from) would only affect those making over $1mm/year in income AND $400k/year in investment income.

I’m not saying I support the proposal, but it’s at least a starting point to begin negotiations. And like prime said, this shit’ll never pass as it currently stands.
I’m not certain of its accuracy, but the notion of ending 1031 exchanges, and taxing unrealized gains is just insane.

Bottom line, is we need to get spending under control in this country. We don’t have a revenue problem, we have a management of funds problem.

Reactions: loveoysters
I’m not certain of its accuracy, but the notion of ending 1031 exchanges, and taxing unrealized gains is just insane.

Bottom line, is we need to get spending under control in this country. We don’t have a revenue problem, we have a management of funds problem.
Regarding the 1031 exchange (which i don't agree with): The proposal would allow the deferral of gain up to an aggregate amount of $500,000 for each taxpayer ($1 million in the case of married individuals filing a joint return) each year for real property exchanges that are like-kind. Any gains from like-kind exchanges in excess of $500,000(or $1 million in the case of married individuals filing a joint return) in a year would be recognized by the taxpayer in the year the taxpayer transfers the real property subject to the exchange.

Regarding unrealized gains: The proposal would impose a minimum tax of 25 percent on total income, generally inclusive of unrealized capital gains, for all taxpayers with wealth (that is, the difference obtained by subtracting liabilities from assets) greater than $100 million.

I know yellen mentioned it a long time ago in a theoretical, academic setting, but is taxing unrealized gains actually being considered? I would highly doubt that. It really can’t be overstated how stupid and harmful that would be, though.

Regarding the 1031 exchange (which i don't agree with): The proposal would allow the deferral of gain up to an aggregate amount of $500,000 for each taxpayer ($1 million in the case of married individuals filing a joint return) each year for real property exchanges that are like-kind. Any gains from like-kind exchanges in excess of $500,000(or $1 million in the case of married individuals filing a joint return) in a year would be recognized by the taxpayer in the year the taxpayer transfers the real property subject to the exchange.

Regarding unrealized gains: The proposal would impose a minimum tax of 25 percent on total income, generally inclusive of unrealized capital gains, for all taxpayers with wealth (that is, the difference obtained by subtracting liabilities from assets) greater than $100 million.
How does that work? Year after year you get taxed on the same unrealized gains? What about unrealized losses? Do you get to write those down?

Disincentivizing investment and the movement of capital is so asinine. The net result here will be the same as it always is, but at the expense of US capital markets and ultimately the IS economy.

How does that work? Year after year you get taxed on the same unrealized gains? What about unrealized losses? Do you get to write those down?

Disincentivizing investment and the movement of capital is so asinine. The net result here will be the same as it always is, but at the expense of US capital markets and ultimately the IS economy.
No idea, reading the proposal reminds me why i never went into tax law. It sounds like you'd receive a refund each year if your unrealized gains tax ended up higher than your LTCG tax. Our tax law is such a ****ing nightmare it seems like it's just going to make things more difficult.

CPAs everywhere are rejoicing if this passes though since their billables are going to skyrocket.

You need to study history because after the rise of Nazi germany the US has taken a stance to prevent another global threat. And that is much easier to do when they have minimal resources and are only trying to take Ukraine. If Russia took Ukraine, they would control the energy supply to all of Europe and either would create a global economic collapse, or have so much negotiation leverage with Europe that they would gain even more power allowing them to take Poland, Estonia, etc.

Russia is a much bigger threat than the asylum seekers we see conservatives pissing their pants over. only a moron would be opposed to supporting Ukraine. And it will cost you a hell of a lot less than WW3.

No idea, reading the proposal reminds me why i never went into tax law. It sounds like you'd receive a refund each year if your unrealized gains tax ended up higher than your LTCG tax. Our tax law is such a ****ing nightmare it seems like it's just going to make things more difficult.

CPAs everywhere are rejoicing if this passes though since their billables are going to skyrocket.
Truth

Why is there a contentious thread arguing over the President's proposed budget like it is now law of the land? This happens every year regardless of who is POTUS. These budgets are NEVER voted on and typically not even close to what Congress passes.

It is the White House's way of throwing red meat to their most ardent followers, so they can say they honored their campaign promises - knowing full well none of it is worth the paper it is printed on.

Remember when Trump would completely eliminate ObamaCare every year, thus throwing Democrats into a frenzy and Republicans would cheer? Here we are in 2024 and it is still law of the land. Congress does not pay any attention to the President's budget, even when both houses are from the same party.

Why is there a contentious thread arguing over the President's proposed budget like it is now law of the land? This happens every year regardless of who is POTUS. These budgets are NEVER voted on and typically not even close to what Congress passes.

It is the White House's way of throwing red meat to their most ardent followers, so they can say they honored their campaign promises - knowing full well none of it is worth the paper it is printed on.

Remember when Trump would completely eliminate ObamaCare every year, thus throwing Democrats into a frenzy and Republicans would cheer? Here we are in 2024 and it is still law of the land. Congress does not pay any attention to the President's budget, even when both houses are from the same party.
This. Anyone who has been paying attention knows that this is a call to Feel The Bern dems to get them out to vote. Just like carried interest comes up every year for tax changes but never actually passes.

As dumb as our politicians are, they still know better than to kill the golden goose of this country.

Reactions: flotiger
You need to study history because after the rise of Nazi germany the US has taken a stance to prevent another global threat. And that is much easier to do when they have minimal resources and are only trying to take Ukraine. If Russia took Ukraine, they would control the energy supply to all of Europe and either would create a global economic collapse, or have so much negotiation leverage with Europe that they would gain even more power allowing them to take Poland, Estonia, etc.

Russia is a much bigger threat than the asylum seekers we see conservatives pissing their pants over. only a moron would be opposed to supporting Ukraine. And it will cost you a hell of a lot less than WW3.

Yea, another area I disagree with many on the right. I have no problem with supporting Ukraine. I think it’s the right thing to do for a variety of reasons. I am concerned that there’s a lot of waste via corruption and other areas in our contribution, however, and would like better safeguards in place.

Russia hasn’t been able to take Ukraine in 2+ years. Poland is a pipe dream.

That said, support of Ukraine is fine. I struggle to reconcile the morality of allowing Ukraine to get decimated geophysically and from a human capital standpoint through aid and indirect intervention while recognizing its Ukraine’s right as a sovereign nation to continue to defend themselves as they see fit.

I think to end that war, there will have to be direct western intervention. We will have to force Russia’s hand by bringing them to the negotiating table and/or threatening NATO intervention. That will likely unfold predictably poorly. I suppose the hope is to drag the conflict out to the point that Russian leadership falters or they exhaust their ability to maintain the war. That is a long ways off IMO. Weighing the costs and the toll it’s taking on two nations and their people against that knowledge and the knowledge that the indirect aid and weapons support is likely to result in traded Pyrrhic victories and continued stalemate.

The human cost of that conflict is one that will take generations to overcome. And, the economic and infrastructure rebuild will take 1-2, as well. The sad reality is that doesn’t get enough attention.

Is this the thread where @scotchtiger finally comes to the conclusion I've known for 4 years now, that he will in fact have o other choice than to vote for Trump again?

but wait, there is more!

In addition to 44.6% capital gains rate, Biden wants a 25% tax on unrealized gains?!????

It just keeps getting better. What an unmitigated disaster this guy is.
I am 100% certain you will never feel the pinch. But I applaud you standing in solidarity with your social betters.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: yoshi121374
Don't forget he wants to raise the corporate income tax rate... At a time when we desperately need businesses moving back to the states... Who do you think will pay that? It won't be the corporations I assure you... And one other small detail... He wants to let the Trump tax cuts expire... That will hurt the lower class that he claims to protect... It's always in the small print with these tax and spend mother****ers... And don't even get me started on the student loan handouts... I worked my ass off to pay mine... So now I have to pay off some Ivy league social warrior's loans ?? Biden can get ****ed...

440263780_10227589076604864_118342744702220655_n.jpg

Reactions: fatpiggy
Is this the thread where @scotchtiger finally comes to the conclusion I've known for 4 years now, that he will in fact have o other choice than to vote for Trump again?

I either said it here or another thread, but I still won't vote for Trump. But I will vote for Republicans in Congress so they can stop dogshit legislation like this.

Anyone paying <20% federal effective tax rate who thinks someone else should pay more in taxes needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror.

Reactions: WapPride
I either said it here or another thread, but I still won't vote for Trump. But I will vote for Republicans in Congress so they can stop dogshit legislation like this.

Anyone paying <20% federal effective tax rate who thinks someone else should pay more in taxes needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror.

Mmm hmm

🤝I respect a man of principles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT