ADVERTISEMENT

The Rona

yamatoby2375

Valles Marineris
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2020
First, long time member but new account. Second, recognized yesterday I had lost my ability to taste. Got tested this AM. No other symptoms but had muscle aches on Tuesday. Not sure, but prolly the Rona. So, point is.....I wasn’t the least bit concerned about it UNTIL now. I am still not “concerned” about it, BUTTTT I am now worried about possibly getting someone else sick who gets someone else sick who actually is affected and dies or struggles, and I gotta tell ya.....the guilt and concern is real. I am a complete hard ass and despise the left but now that I am potentially touched....I get the emotional part of it. Flame away if needed. Take Care folks.

BTW, inability to taste for a fat man is a heart breaker.....lol.

Your case sounds just like mine back in September. Had really bad muscle aches at night. Like not being able to sleep aches. Your concern is real, we had a Labor Day weekend get together around opening day of dove season. 20 people there, 8 of us got it. I gave it to my wife and both of my parents (who are in their 70's) before I even knew I had it. The guilt and worry was awful! Luckily all of them had relatively minor cases. My Mom's was touch and go for about a week before she finally started feeling better.

First, long time member but new account. Second, recognized yesterday I had lost my ability to taste. Got tested this AM. No other symptoms but had muscle aches on Tuesday. Not sure, but prolly the Rona. So, point is.....I wasn’t the least bit concerned about it UNTIL now. I am still not “concerned” about it, BUTTTT I am now worried about possibly getting someone else sick who gets someone else sick who actually is affected and dies or struggles, and I gotta tell ya.....the guilt and concern is real. I am a complete hard ass and despise the left but now that I am potentially touched....I get the emotional part of it. Flame away if needed. Take Care folks.

You know what they say...a butterfly flaps it's wings a little too hard in Africa, and the East Coast of the USA gets devastated by a hurricane, killing thousands. If you don't get anyone sick directly, it's not your fault.

tenor.gif

I also like the one about the man in the forest...if a man is talking to himself in the forest, and his wife isn't there to hear him, is he still wrong?

Hope you're going to be ok. I can't understand why this has anything to do with politics in the US. This is a worldwide pandemic and not some made up scheme by the left to hurt Trump. It is raging out of control now and there is no one to blame but ourselves.

Hope you're going to be ok. I can't understand why this has anything to do with politics in the US. This is a worldwide pandemic and not some made up scheme by the left to hurt Trump. It is raging out of control now and there is no one to blame but ourselves.
I thought it was going to go away on November 3rd, what happened to that?

I don’t get the guilt. Unless you developed it in the lab yourself.

I mean if I accidentally killed someone by not being careful, I would feel guilty. If I were picking up my phone while driving and hit someone on a bike or walking and killed them, I would not be able to live with myself. Kind of the same thought process if I am positive and don’t try to prevent giving it to other folks who could be affected more harshly.

I’m a mask wearer and a somewhat ardent social distances..but I still do stuff. Gym, work, grocery shop, eat out very little, and I’ve been to some small social gatherings. Always feared giving it to someone. Sickness doesn’t scare me for whatever reason, but passing it along does. That, and the work I’ll miss.

My wife has been without taste and smell since July.

I feel terrible for her and honestly I don’t think she gets it back.

I don’t think we as guys get it but she gets heartbroken she can’t smell our newborn
My wife & I tested positive and found out approx 2 hours before our son was born in April. I was fine, she had a cough and lost her sense of taste for a relatively short time (maybe a few weeks?) but her sense of smell is still mostly not back. You’re right, little things like not being able to smell your first child have an impact, I’ve joked about her not being able to smell his diaper now but it’s definitely impacted her.

We’re fortunate that overall we’ve been fine and our son was tested four times in the first 6 weeks, all negative but while it could be worse, I don’t know how many people would not be bothered if their sense of smell didn’t come back. One of those little things we take for granted although taste would be even worse.

Keep us posted pal. Appreciate you being here.

Reactions: yamatoby2375
I’m a mask wearer and a somewhat ardent social distances..but I still do stuff. Gym, work, grocery shop, eat out very little, and I’ve been to some small social gatherings. Always feared giving it to someone. Sickness doesn’t scare me for whatever reason, but passing it along does. That, and the work I’ll miss.

Exactly how I feel but we have been pretty careless. Mask only when forced and we go out.......often. My concern was never about me, only others and I guess not even that concerned about that until actually knowing that I could infect others. This is the only time it actually set in for me that I could’ve passed along to others all along. I’m stubborn, what can I say?

That sucks man, hope you stay healthy & safe and get better soon

That said, and I don’t mean to sound insensitive, but are we gonna get a new thread every single time somebody here comes down with it?

I appreciate the words and Sorry to waste your time with another post about it.

Posted this in the other thread but just had an extended family member pass away from COVID. He went on the ventilator and quickly deteriorated. Pretty healthy 60 year old man.

Get lots of rest in the initial phase of the virus. Obviously lots of fluids but rest initially is important.

Take care of yourself!!

Posted this in the other thread but just had an extended family member pass away from COVID. He went on the ventilator and quickly deteriorated. Pretty healthy 60 year old man.

Get lots of rest in the initial phase of the virus. Obviously lots of fluids but rest initially is important.

Take care of yourself!!

Appreciate that sir.

Reactions: clemben

Take care of yourself!!

Ugh, that's terrible. man. I'm sorry.

The utterly vexing thing about this virus (and the part that doctors/scientists are still clueless on) is how it can be almost harmless to one person and totally debilitating to another or even fatal. Crazy.

Hope you feel better soon! I'm a few days out from getting over the virus. Much like you, I never really worried about myself, but really worried about spreading it to someone that may not handle it as well. My wife is diabetic and my mother has heart disease. So, I secluded myself in one of our spare bedrooms for 10 days, only coming out for food and the bathroom. I wore a mask when I couldn't avoid close contact. Worse parts for me were exhaustion and body aches (really bad in the legs/knees for some reason) and of course, a fever for 8 days. Also, I feel you on the no taste. Not having it on Thanksgiving Day was no fun for sure!

Hope you feel better soon! I'm a few days out from getting over the virus. Much like you, I never really worried about myself, but really worried about spreading it to someone that may not handle it as well. My wife is diabetic and my mother has heart disease. So, I secluded myself in one of our spare bedrooms for 10 days, only coming out for food and the bathroom. I wore a mask when I couldn't avoid close contact. Worse parts for me were exhaustion and body aches (really bad in the legs/knees for some reason) and of course, a fever for 8 days. Also, I feel you on the no taste. Not having it on thanksgiving Day was no fun for sure!

A good friend of mine is on Day 11 and has the same stuff you described. Doesn't sound fun.

Hope you feel better soon! I'm a few days out from getting over the virus. Much like you, I never really worried about myself, but really worried about spreading it to someone that may not handle it as well. My wife is diabetic and my mother has heart disease. So, I secluded myself in one of our spare bedrooms for 10 days, only coming out for food and the bathroom. I wore a mask when I couldn't avoid close contact. Worse parts for me were exhaustion and body aches (really bad in the legs/knees for some reason) and of course, a fever for 8 days. Also, I feel you on the no taste. Not having it on Thanksgiving Day was no fun for sure!

Glad you’re better man. Thanks for the kind words.

Reactions: Lot4tiger

Had it back in July and also lost taste and smell. People don't realize that it is literally zero taste or smell unlike a cold or the flu. It took me about two weeks to fully gain back taste and I still don't have the full sense of smell that I once had. I saw improvement by tasting things with really strong flavors. Honey, whiskey, lemon juice, etc. I think if I would had done it earlier I would have gained taste back much earlier. Everything tasting like card board is absolutely miserable.

Good luck on your recovery!!!

• Haha
I don’t get the guilt. Unless you developed it in the lab yourself.
I don't go into the office because I live with a nurse treating active patients.

We are "required" to be in the office. I say required because I have a 77 year old diabetic, a 350 pounder with hearth problems, and 500 lb guy that sounds like he's dying every step he takes and I said I'd quit before coming back in the office and killing 20% of our work force. I'd feel extremely guilty knowing it was most likely me being asymptomatic. Even if it was confirmed someone else, I'd still think I gave it to him since I'm living with someone actively treating cases 3 Mon-Thur.

Your point is like saying knowingly shooting someone with a gun gives you no guilt. The gun/you didn't kill the other person it was the bullet.

I mean if I accidentally killed someone by not being careful, I would feel guilty. If I were picking up my phone while driving and hit someone on a bike or walking and killed them, I would not be able to live with myself. Kind of the same thought process if I am positive and don’t try to prevent giving it to other folks who could be affected more harshly.
I undersdtand your feelings, but all you can do is be responsible and quarantine now. You can't blame yourself if you infected someone before you knew you had it.

I go out for lunch every day and go to the store every 2 or 3 days, and I always wear a mask and wash my hands with disinfectant, so I do what I am supposed to. But I read stories every day about other people who do everything right and still get it. It is just so random.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT