ADVERTISEMENT

Updated projections from Dr. Birx and Fauci

Maybe I’m in the minority but I take this story as a positive. When we were first talking about this, they were saying the death rate was 1-3%. That’s 3.27-9.81 million Americans if all Americans catch it. Now they’re only predicting 2.2 million if we do nothing. With trying different drugs to treat patients and cutting red tape on getting masks and tests, hopefully that number will continue to shrink.
If the fatality rate ever approaches the 100,000 count then that tells you just how skewed the age of the American population is toward 60 plus.

You make a great point about per capita....not sure about the billionaires tho...Unless you are talking about these pork projects that really irk me in this spending bill
  • $10,804,687,000 for international development
  • $350,000,000 for refugee resettlement
  • $93,000,000 Congress ($25 million of which is for "salaries and expenses")
  • $75,000,000 for PBS stations
  • $75,000,000 for the National Foundation on the Arts and Humanities
  • $75,000,000 National Endowment for the Humanities
  • $50,000,000 for the Institute of Museum and Library Services
  • $25,000,000 for the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts
  • $7,500,000 for the Smithsonian Institution
Corporate bailouts help expand the income gap. Failed business people should go bankrupt as punishment for terrible business practices. When they go bankrupt it allows a more efficient alternative to enter the market. The government would rather keep those in power in power. Nothing was about saving industries.

The federal reserve got lucky with a crisis. Without one it would have been hard to justify printing trillions of dollars to save a “strong” economy.

That's the million dollar question. And in a situation like that do you err on the side of extreme precaution / caution....or do you roll the dice and hope for the best that it's not as bad as many of the experts expect it to be. To me, it's very simple answer.

Yet I still see a loud minority of "let's get back to normal ASAP" people, and worry that those are the folks not taking this seriously enough. Perhaps those are the folks continuing to spread this thing around.
What happens if the WuHan virus fatality rate in the USA is similar to that of H1N1 or any other flu virus the first year they were detected?

Sure and let’s not forget POTUS blaming all this on Obama and it goes on and on...smh
Well that is the problem. The vocal for right and the vocal far left just blame each other on ANYTHING.

Global Pandemic: check
Child prostitution ring: check

When you no longer care about people and only about defeating your enemy, you've lost. I wish this whole thing would collapse our government so we could hit reset on that as well.

A friend of mine was going to drive his family from ATL to their beach house in Amelia Island to hunker down there. Someone there called him and told him not to come. They just shut down the beaches to set up cold tents to house the deceased. This sh*t is crazy.

@Cocks are Number 1 will say this is just the flu in 5, 4, 3, 2.....

At Amelia Island? Please provide link/proof.

Well that is the problem. The vocal for right and the vocal far left just blame each other on ANYTHING.

Global Pandemic: check
Child prostitution ring: check

When you no longer care about people and only about defeating your enemy, you've lost. I wish this whole thing would collapse our government so we could hit reset on that as well.

There's a part of me that wishes that too, but hopefully this country will wise up that this is where partisanship run amok will get you.

Reactions: 1Clemson
Maybe I’m in the minority but I take this story as a positive. When we were first talking about this, they were saying the death rate was 1-3%. That’s 3.27-9.81 million Americans if all Americans catch it. Now they’re only predicting 2.2 million if we do nothing. With trying different drugs to treat patients and cutting red tape on getting masks and tests, hopefully that number will continue to shrink.
I doubt we keep our number under 2.2 million and that's .6% of our population. I'm guessing we are somewhere closer to 5 mill.

But this is "no different than the flu".

I certainly don't blame all this on Trump. And as everyone on here knows, I despise the man. He's done some good things with shutting down travel with both China and Europe early. AND as much as the CDC and NIH were screaming warnings since early January, they still screwed the pooch with rolling out bad tests initially... heads need to roll for that. Trump has mostly listened to the experts on this, which is a massive improvement, where he usually just goes with his gut. Asking him to be clear and consistent in his message and to stop lying and making shiit up when he's add libing is probably just too much to ask.

That being said, the US is doing the crappiest job of just about anyone in handling this situation and we are the richest country in the would. That's because we don't have a leader or a uniter as President. We have a divider... someone who is quick to attack and blame others and very very slow to accept any blame himself. That's not who we need right now, but it's who we have.

When there's been a global crisis in the last 70 years.. who has repeatedly stepped up to the plate with the aid and materials to help others that couldn't help themselves? The US, that's who. EVERY. FREAKING. TIME. Now who's doing it? FREAKING CHINA. The world is starting to NOT look to the US for leadership. Hell, when our President goes abroad he's openly mocked and laughed at by other leaders... anyone ever seen a baby George W or Obama balloon? It's really sad how we've fallen apart in the last 3 or 4 years. And that IS on Trump. He's more apt to act like a middle schooler than a leader.

lol, what?! A lot of you guys seem to be giving Trump a lot more credit than I am and I’m a Trump voter.

China doing more than any other country? Well they should be! This is happening because of China. This is happening because China kept this a secret for as long as they did and because they LIED to us and other countries about this.
They covered up and arrested a Dr. that was actually telling other countries about COVID19.

The Chinese Health Commission was lying to the United State’s health sector. This is why I say a lot of you guys are giving Trump too much credit. People actually expect Trump to know when to shut down our country’s travel or what to do about a virus we have no clue about because it’s new?

There's a part of me that wishes that too, but hopefully this country will wise up that this is where partisanship run amok will get you.

You’re as much a partisan hack as the next guy. We all have our preferences, but some go straight to hate. Mostly libs.

Reactions: Jwilliamsiii
China, South Korea, Canada, India, Mexico, et. Al., actually seems to have handled this problem much better than the US. I don’t think we could have shut down as effectively as China, but there is no reason that we could not have mirrored the South Korean response if we would have taken this seriously a month earlier and instituted strong testing, tracing and individual quarantines- pretty much following the playbook that the world has used for decades. ROK didn’t shut down the economy, only the virus. The US approach of putting our head in the sand as a defensive measure, failing to use the time to prepare and feeding the population bad/misleading information will prove our undoing.
China had 12 to 40 times more cases than reported some scientists believe.

Mexico is a disaster waiting to happen. Few traveled to Mexico from hot spots relative to the US. A second or third delayed wave may be disastrous for them. Same for India which may be a delayed disaster.

South Korea had a break on the testing as they mobilized resources and materials from their prior extensive MERS testing program quickly to get going on coronavirus testing. And they did not have bumbling CDC scientists/decision makers and political hack FDA folk getting in the way of quick effective action.

That’s ridiculous.

Please tell me why. THAT'S an estimate by people who actually understand how viruses are transmitted and how pandemics work. You say that they are not only wrong, but crazy. Tell us all how you know this... Just a Hint. Hannety and Trump do NOT count as experts on contagins.

Now remember, that's an estimate of what would happen if NO measures were taken. We are obviously taking measures, so no one expects 2.2 million to die. But consider this. Let's say that the mortality rate of this is in the 0.3% range.. a really bad flu. And lets say that about 50% of the US eventually gets infected. That would put the number of deaths at north of half a million.

Please tell me why. THAT'S an estimate by people who actually understand how viruses are transmitted and how pandemics work. You say that they are not only wrong, but crazy. Tell us all how you know this... Just a Hint. Hannety and Trump do NOT count as experts on contagins.

Now remember, that's an estimate of what would happen if NO measures were taken. We are obviously taking measures, so no one expects 2.2 million to die. But consider this. Let's say that the mortality rate of this is in the 0.3% range.. a really bad flu. And lets say that about 50% of the US eventually gets infected. That would put the number of deaths at north of half a million.
Toasted712 just said he doubts we will keep it under 2.2 million.

The numbers in that chart really put into perspective how bad things are in NY. The total hospital bed shortage in the US is 61,500. NY accounts for 58,500 of those.

China had 12 to 40 times more cases than reported some scientists believe.

Mexico is a disaster waiting to happen. Few traveled to Mexico from hot spots relative to the US. A second or third delayed wave may be disastrous for them. Same for India which may be a delayed disaster.

South Korea had a break on the testing as they mobilized resources and materials from their prior extensive MERS testing program quickly to get going on coronavirus testing. And they did not have bumbling CDC scientists/decision makers and political hack FDA folk getting in the way of quick effective action.

our cases are likely severely underreported also as we cannot manage a robust testing protocol to find out.

I thought India and Mexico would be disasters, but for now they are not. Why could South Korea pull that off on day 1 and we cant on day 60? The key is preparation and leadership- both of which we are lacking. The only countries known to be handling this worse are Italy and Spain- add China if you wish- not a great group of comparables.

And "I give myself 10 out of 10." Whether anyone wants to hear it or not, this is the damn truth. The virus isn't Trump's fault, but the fact that the most technologically and economically advanced nation on earth is going to be hit harder than most developing nations is entirely his fault. 100% goddamn percent, and hopefully this country will wise up before we repeat the same colossal mistake we made 4 years ago. This objectively should not be happening in this country.

Yes, it's 100% Trump's fault that NY elected officials, democrats by the way, were urging people to participate in celebrations, and take zero precautions whatsoever. They even went so far as to say that if you didn't participate in the Lunar New Year celebrations, gasp, you were a racist!

source.gif

Yes, it's 100% Trump's fault that NY elected officials, democrats by the way, were urging people to participate in celebrations, and take zero precautions whatsoever. They even went so far as to say that if you didn't participate in the Lunar New Year celebrations, gasp, you were a racist!

source.gif

Trump was told this was coming. He downplayed it. Just gonna have to sit this one out it looks like.

Trump was told this was coming. He downplayed it. Just gonna have to sit this one out it looks like.
Everyone downplayed it. Well, maybe not everyone, but a lot of policy makers, advisors, and influencers did. Just blindly assigning all of the blame to Trump is the exact same as the whole "thanks Obama" nonsense. If that's how you handle things, fine, just be consistent.

I said it is unlikely that we could have instituted China’s approach. Our president/administration spent 6 precious weeks also distorting facts and ignoring what was a known problem, so blaming China alone for a policy of denial is a bit weak. If China were more forthcoming it would have been 10 or 12 weeks of US denial rather than 6. The presidential pivot In policy only happened when the markets started to respond to supply chain events.

Well you compared the USA to other countries. Everyone is comparing apples to oranges when they do that, and they are fully aware of it. the problem is it seems this has to be made political.

Not a huge fan of Trump, but this is not right. Democrats, Republicans, Unions, the large percentage of our country who DGAF about spreading it

Blaming one man who happens to be president for this is bs and everyone knows it

Everyone downplayed it. Well, maybe not everyone, but a lot of policy makers, advisors, and influencers did. Just blindly assigning all of the blame to Trump is the exact same as the whole "thanks Obama" nonsense. If that's how you handle things, fine, just be consistent.

When you are the President you should take any legit threat seriously. He didnt. I have said Deblasio was a dumb ass for his actions, but he isnt the leader of this country either.

Reactions: KansasClemson215
And "I give myself 10 out of 10." Whether anyone wants to hear it or not, this is the damn truth. The virus isn't Trump's fault, but the fact that the most technologically and economically advanced nation on earth is going to be hit harder than most developing nations is entirely his fault. 100% goddamn percent, and hopefully this country will wise up before we repeat the same colossal mistake we made 4 years ago. This objectively should not be happening in this country.

Wrong, our form of government is great for building our financial structure and scientific advancements. Not so great when trying to beat a pandemic. Just because we have the science and the money DOES NOT help us keep 350,000,000 people inside at their homes.

And im not sure what you are trying to say he SHOULD have done is even remotely possible.

Yes, he is an idiot sometimes on twitter and on the air. He has his strengths (building a healthy economy) and he has weaknesses (his speeches are sometimes dog crap)

Something like this falls on DECADES of blame. We should have been preparing for this 10 years ago. We knew it would come. This wont be the last one to ever hit us either

I doubt we keep our number under 2.2 million and that's .6% of our population. I'm guessing we are somewhere closer to 5 mill.

But this is "no different than the flu".
LOL...I will bet you any amount of money that we do not even hit 1 million deaths. Not even close in fact, but in terms of a bet, I'm setting the O/U at 1 million and taking the under.

If you're not a gullible, fear mongering idiot, name your price and I'll setup the escrow account.

When you are the President you should take any legit threat seriously. He didnt. I have said Deblasio was a dumb ass for his actions, but he isnt the leader of this country either.
Well, maybe if the democrats hadn't been holding Trump hostage with the most bogus impeachment attempt of all time, he could have given this whatever it is you deem as appropriate attention and taken action sooner.

You should, but something like this is not even remotely close to falling on one term of a presidency.

Obama knew this was a threat, Bush knew this was a threat, hell anyone with half a brain on Capitol Hill KNEW something like this could and would happen someday.

but everyone wants to bash the one dude who just walked through the door at the party.

Makes. No. Damn. Sense.

And yea Trump needs to cut the dumbass tweets/comments out. He needs to care less what people think and do his job now. Still doesnt change the fact that if people really think he is to blame for this they are certified clowns

That's the million dollar question. And in a situation like that do you err on the side of extreme precaution / caution....or do you roll the dice and hope for the best that it's not as bad as many of the experts expect it to be. To me, it's very simple answer.

Yet I still see a loud minority of "let's get back to normal ASAP" people, and worry that those are the folks not taking this seriously enough. Perhaps those are the folks continuing to spread this thing around.
I don't think we know that panic is not driving infection rates. Need to look at Japan and Sweden models.

Japan has had known cases since the start of the year. No panic. Some are thinking it's been in the states as long. Outbreaks occur after major events, Chinese new year, soccer, march in Madrid. Panic ensues. US media drives panic. New York on lockdown 14 days before surge at hospitals. (note also a Huge surge compared to the 10 year average in NY hospitals from mid to late December; possibly non-panic induced corona? And evidence to suggest very early, possibly October clusters in northwest)

Japan and Sweden maintain low panic and low numbers and relaxed method. Of course Japans culture impacts low rates, but it's been circulating since early in the year.

Chinese expert reports 83% of clusters are familial.

Lockdowns are pushing familial cluster infection and pushing everyone with a mild allergy into a line at the hospitals with the infected at the worst possible time. A normal surge of infection is multiplied by panic.

Wuhan lockdown worked because of the healthcare capacity the government brought in. Factories are back open in China at end of February. Is it really gone that fast? Very doubtful. The rate was lowered by the safe signal given by lifting the lockdowns.

New York has to stay on lockdown at this point as well as nursing homes. Other areas should be asked to stop watching television.

this is theoretical.

Reactions: liquidlinx
Maybe this was all congress’ plan to fix the disaster that is social security. Prematurely killing off a bunch of olds.

Well, maybe if the democrats hadn't been holding Trump hostage with the most bogus impeachment attempt of all time, he could have given this whatever it is you deem as appropriate attention and taken action sooner.
Then he should resign since he isn't fit to deal with a crisis because the dems hurt his feelings and so he can't properly process things.

Reactions: clemsontyger04
Well you compared the USA to other countries. Everyone is comparing apples to oranges when they do that, and they are fully aware of it. the problem is it seems this has to be made political.

Not a huge fan of Trump, but this is not right. Democrats, Republicans, Unions, the large percentage of our country who DGAF about spreading it

Blaming one man who happens to be president for this is bs and everyone knows it

I sought to use countries that should have been good examples (excluding China) either for location or large population. The US supposedly has the most advanced medical system, but is now playing catch up because it started playing in the 2d quarter. Whoever has been in charge has done a poor job of getting us ready. Doesn’t mean we can’t survive, but saying leadership to date has been lacking is an understatement.

As for Trump, I hold him in no more or less regard than the last officeholder. We are not and have not been well served by those of either party that are supposedly in charge and all of the posturing, blaming, and denial will not change that.

source.gif

The truth is shining through. Trump living rent free in all these libs is coming out 10 fold. They’re going to ride this mantra until November in a fashion never seen.

Then they’re gonna lose and 11/5 will be incredibly entertaining in the most comical fashion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT