ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Tech....on the rise?

PawsFan_

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2019
Okay, I see where a lot of folks are expecting the hapless Hokies to be a up and coming team in the ACC this year. Some think our trip to Blacksburg will be a tough one this year.

I don't see it.

The Hokies have had maybe 2 good seasons since 2011. I thought Fuente would have been a good fit at VT but he obviously flamed out pretty quickly. I thought the Pry hire was fairly pedestrian. That said, the Hokies didn't seem to be the pushover last season than they'd be in the previous few years. They seemed play together as a team, though the talent wasn't impressive. Credit Pry for getting them on the same page.

A lot of folks point to how they finished last year. After staring 2-4, they went 5-2 in their final 7 games: losing to NC State and Louisville. But who did they beat? Their wins were over Wake, BC, Cuse, and Virginia. Give'm credit for beating teams they should. Cap the season off with a win against a respectable Tulane team and i can see why Blacksburg is heading into 2024 with some hope.

They finished the year with the 20th ranked Total Defense but 50th in scoring D. Their O was behind ours: 54th ranked Scoring O and 58th in total O.

The 2024 schedule is fairly soft. They have a chance to get off to a 4-0 start against Vandy, Marshall, ODU and Rutgers. Frankly anything less than 4-0 tells me they are the same ole VT. While they get Miami and Clemson this season, they also draw Stanford, BC, Cuse, GT, Duke and UVA. Anything less than 9 wins should be a disappointment against that schedule.

Their recruiting is actually right around normal (actually falling) . According to Rivals, they have the 50th ranked 2025 class, 46th 2024 class, 41st 2023 class and 39th 2022 class, 43rd 2012 class. So I don't see where Pry is improving their talent.

So will this Tech team be better this year? Their record should be better but I'm not sure that's truly a reflection of the state of their program. What say you? Is VT on the way up? Or are they the same as they ever was?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News