ADVERTISEMENT

We should bill China

.... you do understand that "Chinese" isnt a race, right? Its a Nationality. Either your attempting to bait OR youre being baited by leftist propaganda. No one, at least on this forum, is promoting racism towards Asian people. No one is advocating for violence or hate against the Chinese people. If you can show me specific cases of that happening, I will join you in calling those individuals out.

What people are saying, is that the Chinese government knew about this virus MONTHS before the globe did. They actively suppressed information which wouldve been beneficial and saved lives. They are now threatening to shut supply chains for much needed goods.

China is NOT our friend and they are 100% to blame for this outbreak. This is in no way a racist statement.

I completely agree with THAT statement. If you are a world leader and you are the only one calling it the "Chinese Virus" or the "Kung Flu" instead of SOLELY focusing on helping the public, then you're doing it for some other reason. I am judging based on FOUR YEARS of coded messages, race-baiting, exploding growth of white nationalism across the globe, and the personal track record of Donald Trump.

If Breitbart, message boards, 4Chan, or whatever want to discuss these toy economic repercussions and get their communities fired up, then whatever. However, when the leader of the country that until just a few years back LED the entire world intentionally uses race/nationality to continually build metaphorical walls and continually divide people, I have a problem with it. He is a racist - full stop.

Saying we condemn the Chinese government's behavior and expect them to step up and contribute right now and we will work with the world community to seek some sort of compensation in the future is a Presidential statement. Say it, move on, and actually work to help our citizens. That's above this current POS.

Asians have been beaten up ON MY STREET because they are Asian - this stuff isn't just Twitter humor for the MAGA base.

One basic fact of the Bible and Revelations.....God is in CONTROL. Whether Dbatz is correct is not for me to determine. No one knows when the Tribulation will occur and there are many theories about it and the Milleneum. Virtually every horrible event throughout time has triggered thoughts of the Milleneum and Tribulation. I certainly do not have the answers but realize this type of disaster as well as others has happened throughout time and the world survives. there will be a time at some point God will end things on his time frame

Allies billed Germany and Austria for starting WW1 years ago. That directly led to a complete destruction of their economy which snowballed through Europe and around the world, leading to the Great Depression, leading to Nazism in Germany, and then WW2. Was it the Versailles treaty that exclusively led to the Depression, no, but it was a huge contributing factor that led to unforeseen consequences.

So no, I don't think we should bill China. I would do nothing to them other than continue to make businesses think about operating here at home more. If you cut out their funding sources you'll also cut their defense budget and possibly lead to a communist regime collapse without firing a shot.
Unintended consequences.
The story of all the DAYS of OUR LIVES

I completely agree with THAT statement. If you are a world leader and you are the only one calling it the "Chinese Virus" or the "Kung Flu" instead of SOLELY focusing on helping the public, then you're doing it for some other reason. I am judging based on FOUR YEARS of coded messages, race-baiting, exploding growth of white nationalism across the globe, and the personal track record of Donald Trump.

If Breitbart, message boards, 4Chan, or whatever want to discuss these toy economic repercussions and get their communities fired up, then whatever. However, when the leader of the country that until just a few years back LED the entire world intentionally uses race/nationality to continually build metaphorical walls and continually divide people, I have a problem with it. He is a racist - full stop.

Saying we condemn the Chinese government's behavior and expect them to step up and contribute right now and we will work with the world community to seek some sort of compensation in the future is a Presidential statement. Say it, move on, and actually work to help our citizens. That's above this current POS.

Asians have been beaten up ON MY STREET because they are Asian - this stuff isn't just Twitter humor for the MAGA base.
I am sorry, but I would like specific examples showing President Trump is a racist. I have heard those statements for more than 3 years now but the only "evidence" I have been shown is sound bites from liberal news sites that are taken completely out of context and truncated to meet their desired narrative. The media has said it over and over so many times that people take it for the truth, but I have seen nothing that supports it.
I don't like a lot of what he does, but I back him for substance over style.

I am sorry, but I would like specific examples showing President Trump is a racist. I have heard those statements for more than 3 years now but the only "evidence" I have been shown is sound bites from liberal news sites that are taken completely out of context and truncated to meet their desired narrative. The media has said it over and over so many times that people take it for the truth, but I have seen nothing that supports it.
I don't like a lot of what he does, but I back him for substance over style.

To piggy back on this, I would also like specific examples of how Trump's response to this coronavirus has been a disaster as the left keeps claiming. Was it perfect? No, but there is not a person on earth who could have expected we would be where we are now. In my view, admittedly from a conservative perspective, the one act of banning travel from China has saved us from being where Italy is now. That act was called xenophobic and racist by every Democrat with a voice, including Joe Biden.

You sound like Trump

He's right on this one. They should reimburse the world somehow. Though I doubt they are gonna exactly send out a bunch of checks.

Maybe the "reimbursement" is that the world figures out that having a single country as a supplier isn't much better than having a single company as a supplier.

Allies billed Germany and Austria for starting WW1 years ago. That directly led to a complete destruction of their economy which snowballed through Europe and around the world, leading to the Great Depression, leading to Nazism in Germany, and then WW2. Was it the Versailles treaty that exclusively led to the Depression, no, but it was a huge contributing factor that led to unforeseen consequences.

So no, I don't think we should bill China. I would do nothing to them other than continue to make businesses think about operating here at home more. If you cut out their funding sources you'll also cut their defense budget and possibly lead to a communist regime collapse without firing a shot.

Difference is that Austria and Germany didn't have any money to pay.

That will be a long process and has already started. Companies are looking at other options to manufacture goods. Much of southeast asia is untapped but that is changing (Vietnam for one, I look for Laos and Cambodia to eventually get into the game).

This has been very painful for businesses that operate in China already. Parts shortages are a real issue. And I think they are responding already.

To piggy back on this, I would also like specific examples of how Trump's response to this coronavirus has been a disaster as the left keeps claiming. Was it perfect? No, but there is not a person on earth who could have expected we would be where we are now. In my view, admittedly from a conservative perspective, the one act of banning travel from China has saved us from being where Italy is now. That act was called xenophobic and racist by every Democrat with a voice, including Joe Biden.

I will repeat pertinent portions of a post from a few days back with slight modifications.

Sadly, we had nearly 3 months of warning before it got to this point. We squandered our opportunity to minimize this. We should have done what South Korea did but even better. They tested massively and contact traced relentlessly. We are a bigger country, but we also have more resources. I like many of President Trump's policies, but imo his personal characteristics have made him a very poor fit to confront this problem competently. He has done much better the past few days and I believe he is going a pretty good job now, but our situation is exponentially worse than what it should have been.

No one who was paying attention should be surprised by our present situation. Why would we expect a different experience than China from two months back? Our present situation is nearly identical to the one China faced two months back. I started following several experts on epidemics on January 24th when I saw the first article in The Daily Mail reporting China quarantining an entire huge city. These experts largely predicted exactly what has happened the past two months. When China quarantined an entire mammoth city it immediately caught my attention as I knew that the epidemic they were dealing with must be worse than the economic devastation they were willing to endure to stop it. I personally warned close friends and family members on January 24th that this had the potential to be a major problem. I ordered masks and other critical items the first week of February. I did this merely from news reports and paying close attention. I have no scientific background. How our government with all its resources and actual spies on the ground in China failed to begin massive testing and ordering massive medical supplies (or outfitting factories if supplies could not be bought) at least 6 weeks back is beyond me. I am beyond outraged that the most powerful, wealthiest country that has ever existed, with the greatest collection of scientific minds ever contained in one country, will expose its health care workers to this virus without the best protection we can offer. They likely will be in much greater danger than our military in the recent wars we have fought. N95 masks can be bought for about $1 each, so a massive order should be even cheaper. How in the world can we have only 35 million of them when we spend $700 billion per year on defense?

President Trump's banning of most flights from China are helpful, but it was not nearly the ban most think it was. Liberal lambasting of him for it and diverting the country's attention with impeachment BS was also harmful.

Last edited:
Business was already pulling out of China because it was too expensive compared to SE Asia plus the tariffs.

This will accelerate the move.

Will be a push to make more hospital supplies and medicine in the US.

That will be about it outside of people being mad.

Feel free to edit this Wikipedia page if you see any factual errors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_views_of_Donald_Trump

Business was already pulling out of China because it was too expensive compared to SE Asia plus the tariffs.

This will accelerate the move.

Will be a push to make more hospital supplies and medicine in the US.

That will be about it outside of people being mad.

Wouldn't be surprised if the tarriffs go up even more. And not just from the US. I'd be tempted to crank it.

Make no mistake - Trump is PISSED about this. And he should be. I'm not saying the US (or Trump, or the administration, or any damn body else) have either done as much as they could possibly have to stop this or all made the right decisions, but there is a lot of anger towards the government of China right now.

I will repeat pertinent portions of a post from a few days back with slight modifications.

Sadly, we had nearly 3 months of warning before it got to this point. We squandered our opportunity to minimize this. We should have done what South Korea did but even better. They tested massively and contact traced relentlessly. We are a bigger country, but we also have more resources. I like many of President Trump's policies, but imo his personal characteristics have made him a very poor fit to confront this problem competently. He has done much better the past few days and I believe he is going a pretty good job now, but our situation is exponentially worse than what it should have been.

No one who was paying attention should be surprised by our present situation. Why would we expect a different experience than China from two months back? Our present situation is nearly identical to the one China faced two months back. I started following several experts on epidemics on January 24th when I saw the first article in The Daily Mail reporting China quarantining an entire huge city. These experts largely predicted exactly what has happened the past two months. When China quarantined an entire mammoth city it immediately caught my attention as I knew that the epidemic they were dealing with must be worse than the economic devastation they were willing to endure to stop it. I personally warned close friends and family members on January 24th that this had the potential to be a major problem. I ordered masks and other critical items the first week of February. I did this merely from news reports and paying close attention. I have no scientific background. How our government with all its resources and actual spies on the ground in China failed to begin massive testing and ordering massive medical supplies (or outfitting factories if supplies could not be bought) at least 6 weeks back is beyond me. I am beyond outraged that the most powerful, wealthiest country that has ever existed, with the greatest collection of scientific minds ever contained in one country, will expose its health care workers to this virus without the best protection we can offer. They likely will be in much greater danger than our military in the recent wars we have fought. N95 masks can be bought for about $1 each, so a massive order should be even cheaper. How in the world can we have only 35 million of them when we spend $700 billion per year on defense?

President Trump's banning of most flights from China are helpful, but it was not nearly the ban most think it was. Liberal lambasting of him for it and diverting the country's attention with impeachment BS was also harmful.
I agree with a lot of that. But S. Korea did not test massively. Only 300,000 out of 50 million citizens. They pretty much did what we are doing, tested the symptomatic. We will soon far surpass their testing numbers. They were hit harder and earlier due to proximity. And had tests available quicker. A plus for them.
I am still amazed at our low death rate. I hope it continues but it should drop even more as testing ramps up. Nothing about this surprises me more than the fact that only 462 have died in the US so far. We are lucky.

I appreciate your reasonable response, we need more of them. Clearly knowing what we do now, things should have been done sooner but that is 20:20 hindsight. When the president put the China travel ban in place on Jan 31, people jumped on him. Beyond the typical racists chants, there were reasonable people saying it was too radical a move based on the evidence to-date. Imagine if he had tried that even earlier than Jan 31st.

I also get the idea of reacting earlier to get supplies stored up. I wonder (since I don't know) if the government officials have multiple potential pandemic type activity that comes up on the radar each year and if they reacted quickly to every one before it progressed some then we would be chasing our tail. Again, just thinking out loud.

Some of this reminds me of snow storms in SC. The school systems can never get it right. If they react early to a weather forecast and cancel school then they are labeled idiots when no snow comes. If they wait to see the roads bad then they are idiots for waiting too long.
I was a senior in high school in 1988 when we had a foot or two of snow and we ended up missing 2 weeks of school. The school officials were labeled idiots because they didn't have plows, etc for such a bad storm. After that event, they went out and bought supplies for the next major storm. Plows sat idle for years because a major storm didn't happen then the officials were criticized for wasting money on snow plows that sat there rusting

I believe the Indian nations are still trying to collect again small pox’s .

History tends to repeat itself.

I am sure there are 10 or more other example.

Some one is my 1st grade class gave me chicken pox’s about 40 years ago. Still has not paid up.
Took away two of the best years of my life.
1, what the hell is chicken pox's and C, two years??? Damn, just be glad you survived.

I appreciate your reasonable response, we need more of them. Clearly knowing what we do now, things should have been done sooner but that is 20:20 hindsight. When the president put the China travel ban in place on Jan 31, people jumped on him. Beyond the typical racists chants, there were reasonable people saying it was too radical a move based on the evidence to-date. Imagine if he had tried that even earlier than Jan 31st.

I also get the idea of reacting earlier to get supplies stored up. I wonder (since I don't know) if the government officials have multiple potential pandemic type activity that comes up on the radar each year and if they reacted quickly to every one before it progressed some then we would be chasing our tail. Again, just thinking out loud.

Some of this reminds me of snow storms in SC. The school systems can never get it right. If they react early to a weather forecast and cancel school then they are labeled idiots when no snow comes. If they wait to see the roads bad then they are idiots for waiting too long.
I was a senior in high school in 1988 when we had a foot or two of snow and we ended up missing 2 weeks of school. The school officials were labeled idiots because they didn't have plows, etc for such a bad storm. After that event, they went out and bought supplies for the next major storm. Plows sat idle for years because a major storm didn't happen then the officials were criticized for wasting money on snow plows that sat there rusting
Anyone with a negative opinion of how Trump has handled this, already had a negative opinion of him anyway. It would be like me saying I hate Nancy Pelosi for trying to fund abortions with the Stimulus bill. Yeah, that's true, but I hated her long before she tried to pull that crap, and I would have continued hating her whether she did that or not. It changed nothing. My opinion about her is invalid because it is biased beyond repair.

My only issue with Trump calling COVID-19 the "Chinese Virus" is that its not specific enough. Calling it the Wuhan Virus is accurate, points to where this virus came from. The Chinese government is actively attempting to shift the blame to the US to avoid accountability.

Again, expecting compensation or suggesting it is ridiculous and I havent seen Trump nor anyone in the administration suggesting such a thing. What is MORE than reasonable is that supply chains for critical goods should be based here in the US or at least in a country that we have better relations with. The majority of pharmaceutical research and development occurs here in the US and that research and development is at largely funded by subsidies (tax dollars). Manufacturing of those drugs needs to occur within our borders.

I wont go down the rabbit hole of whether Trump is a racist, but stating China is to blame is NOT racist.

As far as the Asians beaten up on your street, I would encourage you to call the police and provide a witness statement versus discussing with the assailants their personal political beliefs or political affiliations. I can only assume that your doing this versus calling the police since you have labeled them as MAGA supporters.

Here is the problem with leftists. YOU label everything you dont agree with as racist and when everything is racist, nothing is.

I agree with a lot of that. But S. Korea did not test massively. Only 300,000 out of 50 million citizens. They pretty much did what we are doing, tested the symptomatic. We will soon far surpass their testing numbers. They were hit harder and earlier due to proximity. And had tests available quicker. A plus for them.
I am still amazed at our low death rate. I hope it continues but it should drop even more as testing ramps up. Nothing about this surprises me more than the fact that only 462 have died in the US so far. We are lucky.
Re testing, this is from an NPR article dated March 13th. My recollection is that the USA and SK had their first known case on the same day, but i may be wrong about that:

A nation of 51 million, South Korea has tested about 250,000 people since its outbreak began on Jan. 20, with a daily capacity of 15,000. It has conducted 3,600 tests per million people compared to five per million in the U.S.

South Korea's aggressive testing may make it unnecessary to impose the sort of lockdowns to which China and Italy have resorted, although health officials insist that all options remain on the table in dealing with the epidemic.

My only issue with Trump calling COVID-19 the "Chinese Virus" is that its not specific enough. Calling it the Wuhan Virus is accurate, points to where this virus came from. The Chinese government is actively attempting to shift the blame to the US to avoid accountability.

Again, expecting compensation or suggesting it is ridiculous and I havent seen Trump nor anyone in the administration suggesting such a thing. What is MORE than reasonable is that supply chains for critical goods should be based here in the US or at least in a country that we have better relations with. The majority of pharmaceutical research and development occurs here in the US and that research and development is at largely funded by subsidies (tax dollars). Manufacturing of those drugs needs to occur within our borders.

I wont go down the rabbit hole of whether Trump is a racist, but stating China is to blame is NOT racist.

As far as the Asians beaten up on your street, I would encourage you to call the police and provide a witness statement versus discussing with the assailants their personal political beliefs or political affiliations. I can only assume that your doing this versus calling the police since you have labeled them as MAGA supporters.

Here is the problem with leftists. YOU label everything you dont agree with as racist and when everything is racist, nothing is.
I'm not a leftist but ok. I know what I think about Trump and my opinion won't be changed, as is my right. Calling it the Wuhan virus would be technically correct and the Chinese government absolutely tried to cover things up, early on. That's what authoritarian governments do, as we all know. It's why the U.S. has traditionally stood as a polar opposite to all of them.

My sole point about the racially charged terminology being thrown around *only* by those of a certain political leaning is that a true leader would be laser-focused on prevention and solutions, by any means necessary. The only leaders I see making any difference in this country are a handful of governors. Thankfully mine (Cuomo) seems to be doing a great job - which honestly is surprising to most in NY. DeBlasio is the trainwreck we all already knew he was.

My opinion: crossing out the actual medical term and replacing it with "Chinese" is, at best, just a complete troll and waste of time/energy at this critical time. I know his supporters will never be convinced - just typing and getting things off my chest in this silly forum to avoid going stir crazy.

For every expense we incur due to China virus. If we owe them anything we deduct from that debt what the bill for what their China virus catastrophe has cost us.

While a nice thought (and I liked it). I predict China's check for the virus will arrive the week after Mexico's check paying for the wall... Just sayin...

It can be a fine line for sure, and the media has hyped every "epidemic" for decades so it was easy for a non-expert to assume this one was nothing. That is why we have experts and spies.

The difference here was China shutting down a gigantic city first and then ratcheting it up to be a province and then to 710 million people. Not only was it 1/2 their population, it was also their most prosperous areas. Nearly 80% of their economy at its peak. No country does this lightly as we are now painfully learning.

I have no problems with the name "China Virus" and in fact like it when it is in response to China claiming our army athletes who visited Wuhan in October somehow brought the virus to Wuhan. I like Trump's aggressive response in that case.

I also was much in favor of shutting off everyone (except USA citizens) who had been in China or vicinity in late January from coming to the USA no matter how they tried to get here and to force (not voluntary) even USA citizens to quarantine when they arrived.

Anyone with a negative opinion of how Trump has handled this, already had a negative opinion of him anyway. It would be like me saying I hate Nancy Pelosi for trying to fund abortions with the Stimulus bill. Yeah, that's true, but I hated her long before she tried to pull that crap, and I would have continued hating her whether she did that or not. It changed nothing. My opinion about her is invalid because it is biased beyond repair.
Not accurate as to me. I liked many of his policies and supported him and them. I voted for him before and would have voted for him again until this episode. My son was a very ardent supporter but thinks he was abysmal in this situation until last week. Trump's 180 clearly shows he thinks similarly but his personal characteristics make it impossible for him to ever admit he is wrong.

Spot on.

Not accurate as to me. I liked many of his policies and supported him and them. I voted for him before and would have voted for him again until this episode. My son was a very ardent supporter but thinks he was abysmal in this situation until last week. Trump's 180 clearly shows he thinks similarly but his personal characteristics make it impossible for him to ever admit he is wrong.
I won’t argue with Trump not wanting to admit he’s wrong he’s like a lot of posters on here. But when the left has been bitching abt you and blaming everything on you since the day after he was elected I can kind of see his point. He gets all the blame for things he didn’t do and no credit for the things he has done. And he’s using the Chinese virus just to goad all the lefty media that it bothers. If you noticed the blurb the Chinese put out last week abt the virus possibly coming from here the second sentence of the statement used the word racist knowing full well our lefty media would jump all in with them. And it worked.:eek:

Reactions: Doppler Effect
The desire for cheap goods combined with the invention of the shipping container is how China became such a monster. Everyone on this website has benefited from China's cheap labor and lax environmental regulations. Now they are ingrained in our daily lives because they are a crucial part of supply chains. Thats why us consumers have simply paid the import tariffs for such items. Changing over to other suppliers takes time. And if I'm looking at a major change in a supply chain, I would probably wait until after the election. What is the point if Biden gets in and relations with China go back to normal?

And China can hurt us too. We saw it with grain exports. Trump had to pour tens of billions into the pockets of already subsidized farmers to keep them quiet. Guess what the other top exports are to China? Vehicles and planes. Two things made right here in SC.

It baffles me when seemingly intelligent people just scream what they have heard in an echo chamber. That's one of my main criticisms of Trump. He will see something on Fox News thats clearly a fringe opinion and then tweet it in all caps.

I'm not a leftist but ok....
My apologies. Labeling things that arent racist AS racist is a calling card for a leftist.

You do you man ... there is nothing wrong with being a Democrat or even a liberal, but everyone should actively and vigilantly reject any and all leftist ideals. We should also reject ridiculous neo-conservative propaganda as well

I won’t argue with Trump not wanting to admit he’s wrong he’s like a lot of posters on here. But when the left has been bitching abt you and blaming everything on you since the day after he was elected I can kind of see his point. He gets all the blame for things he didn’t do and no credit for the things he has done. And he’s using the Chinese virus just to goad all the lefty media that it bothers. If you noticed the blurb the Chinese put out last week abt the virus possibly coming from here the second sentence of the statement used the word racist knowing full well our lefty media would jump all in with them. And it worked.:eek:
Agreed. I well remember talk of impeaching Trump the night/early morning he was elected and the following few days. All well before he was even sworn in! Our very toxic political culture, gerrymandering, news organizations with agendas and target audiences on both the right and left, etc. has created a serious problem. I am afraid we are getting the government we deserve. I miss the pre-1990s when we had at least some true statesmen on both sides. They all fought in WWII together and never forgot they were on the same side.

Reactions: Trading Tiger
Agreed. I well remember talk of impeaching Trump the night/early morning he was elected and the following few days. All well before he was even sworn in! Our very toxic political culture, gerrymandering, news organizations with agendas and target audiences on both the right and left, etc. has created a serious problem. I am afraid we are getting the government we deserve. I miss the pre-1990s when we had at least some true statesmen on both sides. They all fought in WWII together and never forgot they were on the same side.
If you're interested, you should read this book:

Amazon product ASIN 147670032X
It's a fascinating look at "how we got here". The amount of actual partisan cooperation pre-1980 is mind-blowing. It's like reading about another planet. If you're a fan of any politics that encourage and benefit from polarization, it's probably an infuriating read.

I did not see any information on how to stop a pandemic in any of these passages. The bible is not going to stop COVID-19 but a vaccine based on the scientific method will.
Never said it would, just giving people a heads up who’s behind it & what’s to come!

Yea, I don’t believe you.

One basic fact of the Bible and Revelations.....God is in CONTROL. Whether Dbatz is correct is not for me to determine. No one knows when the Tribulation will occur and there are many theories about it and the Milleneum. Virtually every horrible event throughout time has triggered thoughts of the Milleneum and Tribulation. I certainly do not have the answers but realize this type of disaster as well as others has happened throughout time and the world survives. there will be a time at some point God will end things on his time frame
ST Malachi’s Prophecy “Prophecy of the Popes is Spot on” GOD gave ST Malachi Every symbol of Every Pope leading up to the 112th & Final Pope! GOD told ST Malachi the 112th & Final
Pope would be the Only Pope to not take a Symbol. GOD also said, he would be called Peter The Roman. Jorge Bergoglio took the name Saint Francis of Assisi. Saint Francis Of Assisi was a patriarch in the Catholic Church who founded the Franciscans. But his Real name was Petri De Bernondone, which means Peter The Roman! The generation that saw Israel recognized by the UN in 1948 will see The Tribulation & JESUS’s Return. JESUS said that himself in Mathew 24 with The Parable Of The Fig Tree!”

@areeves Stop twisting the precious, sacred, Word of God to perpetuate this nonsense. Half Truths are not Full Truth. While Satan, and his schemes, perpetuate evil, this is Anachronistic Eisegesis at its finest. Please stop.
I’m Not Twisting Anything! That’s The Truth & these thing to come will happen right in front of your face! There Are No Half Y
Truths in what I said!

China is asshole.

The way we hurt China is for us to bring America back to America. China needs us more than we need them.
Yah Richard Nixon helped bury American excellence. People harp on him for watergate, his real legacy is setting the stage for China to suck out our independence.

Re testing, this is from an NPR article dated March 13th. My recollection is that the USA and SK had their first known case on the same day, but i may be wrong about that:

A nation of 51 million, South Korea has tested about 250,000 people since its outbreak began on Jan. 20, with a daily capacity of 15,000. It has conducted 3,600 tests per million people compared to five per million in the U.S.

South Korea's aggressive testing may make it unnecessary to impose the sort of lockdowns to which China and Italy have resorted, although health officials insist that all options remain on the table in dealing with the epidemic.
Yep. They had the tests much quicker. But they are still only doing clinically guided testing. Like we are doing. We are slower.

i know it won't matter to his supporters but he intentionally misled people. "Corona virus... its their new hoax" .

Reactions: JAMCRACKER99
Yah Richard Nixon helped bury American excellence. People harp on him for watergate, his real legacy is setting the stage for China to suck out our independence.
Keep in mind though, that strategic alliance helped the wall fall thereby freeing many from Soviet rule.

Reactions: firegiver
Yep. They had the tests much quicker. But they are still only doing clinically guided testing. Like we are doing. We are slower.
I have no expertise on what type of testing was being done other than that we essentially did no testing for nearly 2 months (less than 1,000 total tests in a country of 330 million in 2 months). SK was the first to do the drive thru testing centers that we are now copying and they did it on a large scale.

I read yesterday that experts believe we have between 200k - 600k cases in the USA now. If accurate, we know of about 10% of our cases.

Singapore and Taiwan have also kept their numbers in check much like SK but were on it from the beginning better than SK. They have the advantage of much smaller populations and being much more geographically compact, but they also have a large number of folks coming and going from China (or did on the relevant dates).

The experts I have been following the past 8 weeks, Eric Feigl-Ding, Laurie Garrett, and Scott Gottlieb primarily) repeatedly called for such testing, some of them almost daily, 6-8 weeks back. Dr. Ding daily compared our testing to SK's and noted that we were flying blind and a disaster was almost assuredly coming because we had no idea of the scope of our problem so that we could address it. Recall all the bragging about how few cases we had for weeks.

A few billion (or even 10s of billions) dollars spent a few weeks back, could have potentially saved trillions of dollars and a lot of lives now. I suspect the country will be $30 trillion in debt when this is done.

Keep in mind though, that strategic alliance helped the wall fall thereby freeing many from Soviet rule.
Sure, he had no idea that baby boomers would sell off their legacy to make a quick buck and thus destroy the future.

Reactions: Extender
If you're interested, you should read this book:

It's a fascinating look at "how we got here". The amount of actual partisan cooperation pre-1980 is mind-blowing. It's like reading about another planet. If you're a fan of any politics that encourage and benefit from polarization, it's probably an infuriating read.
I have observed it firsthand. We had good cooperation until the 1990s when both parties went completely partisan. Recall that even SC had Sen. Thurmond (R) and Sen.Hollings (D) for decades and they cooperated well with each other and other members of both parties. Winning became more important for both sides than doing what was right or best for the country. It was a different county in many respects.

I told a friend the other day that I am flabbergasted that a country as great as ours is in the position we are in now. We are not even a leader yet in the fight against this pandemic. We bumbled for weeks to even come up with a usable test when many other countries were testing big numbers. My entire life the USA would have been the leader in the fight, would have been the innovator to determine how best to address it, and would have organized the world in a coordinated front against it (with a few malcontents such as China, Russia, Iran, Venezuela and Cuba griping about our leadership and boycotting). Instead, we bickered over ridiculous impeachment (the Dems.) and ignored it and stuck our heads in the sand (the Pres. and the Reps.). We are beginning to mobilize now, so perhaps we will take our traditional mantle shortly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT