ADVERTISEMENT

Weed 10: Historical 1st.

hopefultiger13

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Aug 20, 2008
Pocatello, ID
Big day for those of us who LOVE the weed.

The House of Representatives passed the SAFE banking act, which allows owners of legal marijuana businesses to have bank accounts and use credit card transactions (in other words, it lets banks legally have a business relationship with these folks w/o fear of federal prosecution).

This is a big deal b/c it's the first stand alone piece of Marijuana legislation to pass either house and it passed by a super majority. NORML is cautiously optimistic about the bill's chances in the Senate.b/c it has bipartisan support and Moscow Mitch is a supporter of hemp at least.

Generally good news. But legalizing marijuana does discriminate against the medical profession since they will be excluded. As well as professional drivers and many other professions where the public’s safety is involved. Until there is a readily available test that will be negative 24 hrs after use. Key being readily available

Generally good news. But legalizing marijuana does discriminate against the medical profession since they will be excluded. As well as professional drivers and many other professions where the public’s safety is involved. Until there is a readily available test that will be negative 24 hrs after use. Key being readily available

You don’t recognize medical marijuana? The science is settled

You don’t recognize medical marijuana? The science is settled
Not what we are talking about. We are talking recreational. I mean doctors can’t use it even when legal. Because you will lose your license due to lack of good testing proving you aren’t impaired. Unlike alcohol you test + even three weeks after using. Making it too risky for doctors.
As for medical marijuana. The science isn’t settled because it hasn’t even been done. I will be all for it when the FDA evaluates it via randomized prospective controlled studies and approves it like any other drug. That has not been done. It may work but it hasn’t been proven scientifically.

One things for sure, unemployment will rise. Got enough lazy people around as it is

Joking or not, this is obviously far from the truth. The marijuana industry here in Colorado created over 20k jobs and is a 1.5 billion dollar a year industry.

Tax revenue is way up as well. Over 150 million straight into the capital construction budget of our schools, and puts over 300 million into state coffers every year.

The House of Representatives passed the SAFE banking act, which allows owners of legal marijuana businesses to have bank accounts and use credit card transactions (in other words, it lets banks legally have a business relationship with these folks w/o fear of federal prosecution).

This is a big deal b/c it's the first stand alone piece of Marijuana legislation to pass either house and it passed by a super majority. NORML is cautiously optimistic about the bill's chances in the Senate.b/c it has bipartisan support and Moscow Mitch is a supporter of hemp at least.

As to the topic at hand, it’s still pretty silly we are gonna allow legislative endorsement of banking activities for a federally illegal industry.

But you’re right to be optimistic because hopefully the legislators afraid to be a leading voice on this issue will realize the fake war is over in practicality

Username checks out

5 years to legal. I’m taking the under in SC. NC will be the first Southern state to do it. Followed by GA, then FL, then SC in that order. And I can’t wait. It’s such a pain in the ass.

Reactions: hopefultiger13
Do you have links? I haven’t seen the evidence base. Haven’t really looked for it honestly, but I’d be interested to see any evidence based peer reviewed studies.

THIS is a damn fine question brother. ALWAYS follow the science. There's not a ton of US based longitudinal studies at this time b/c Marijuana is defined as having no medical use. It's REALLY REALLY hard to get funding to do any sort of study. I'd point you to European and Israeli research. What US research there is shows promise. To look for yourself, use google to search for google scholar. This will bring up a version of google that specifically searches scholarly journals. For a quick and dirty search, you can search this website from my posts of the time Week # (1-10 at present). I'm pretty sure I've linked a few articles including some from the Lancet and the NEJM.

But just fyi, the FDA schedules marijuana as schedule 1 (having NO medical uses and highly additcive). AND just this year APPROVED a marijuana based drug for a specific type of epilipse. Go figure.

As to the topic at hand, it’s still pretty silly we are gonna allow legislative endorsement of banking activities for a federally illegal industry.

But you’re right to be optimistic because hopefully the legislators afraid to be a leading voice on this issue will realize the fake war is over in practicality

Great point brother. Congress is full of cowards (and not just on this issue). If they would just legalize it, it would be a done thing and there would be no problem with the banks. BUT no one wants to be labeled as a person who supported legalizing weed when it might not work out long term. Bottom line is that they could solve this problem tomorrow.

Reactions: rogue booster
Troll or serious?

Unfortunately, this is at least PARTIALLY true. From an historical viewpoint this isn't a white drug. Aside from farmers in the 1700's and into the 1800's hemp was grown for rope, but not smoked very much by whites (George Washington was a notable exception). Wide spread marijuana use started with poor southern blacks and Mexican immigrants who couldn't afford alcohol. IMHO, it's more socio economic than racist, but there you go.

There's also some very strong evidence that people of color (even though they have about the same use and arrest rates of whites) are MUCH more likely to get jail time for using weed and getting caught. Again, there's a socio economic piece to that, but it can't explain the entire problem.

Please explain? not seeing the racist angle. No troll, i really don’t see it

Check out the jail time for arrests. Despite similar use and arrest rates, brown folks are FAR more likely to do time for simple marijuana possession. Again, there is a strong socio economic portion of that, but it doesn't explain away the whole problem.

Here's a quote from Ed Asslinger from his testimony to congress:

“Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men. There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the U.S., and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others.”

Not true, there was a racist angle that was present. I think that has passed , but to think that the propoganda from the 70s and 80s wasn't racially accelerated is a stretch.
I guess I was referring back more toward Iceheart's original post that said it was and still is racist. I should have been more specific and pointed out I was referring to present day.

I have a 10 year old Australian Shepherd that has seizures. Yesterday I came home from work and her head was stuck to the side and drooling everywhere. I pulled out her bottle of CBD tincture and gave her a dose. Within seconds she was normal.

Just a couple years ago it was illegal for me
to give her that. I couldn’t imagine having a kid with seizures and knowing big government politicians are the reason medicine isn’t available.

But complain about the government not being able to test in 24 hours lol. That’s the issue, keeping it banned until they can test for it easier......

Reactions: ChiefTiger
Joking or not, this is obviously far from the truth. The marijuana industry here in Colorado created over 20k jobs and is a 1.5 billion dollar a year industry.

Tax revenue is way up as well. Over 150 million straight into the capital construction budget of our schools, and puts over 300 million into state coffers every year.

Don’t try talking educated Marijuana with closed minded South Carolinians. Sadly the ignorance in that state will only be educated over time, unfortunately it’s a generation or 2 away.

They’d rather sneak around with their Sunday beer, liquor and pills. Blindly unable to recognize that educated people, people with careers, business owners, doctors and lawyers partake in marijuana either medically or for recreation. Both allowing for increased quality of life.

It’s sad...

Reactions: clem15
I have a 10 year old Australian Shepherd that has seizures. Yesterday I came home from work and her head was stuck to the side and drooling everywhere. I pulled out her bottle of CBD tincture and gave her a dose. Within seconds she was normal.

Just a couple years ago it was illegal for me
to give her that. I couldn’t imagine having a kid with seizures and knowing big government politicians are the reason medicine isn’t available.

But complain about the government not being able to test in 24 hours lol. That’s the issue, keeping it banned until they can test for it easier......
No, I didn’t say that. Just certain occupations. But proving impairment is a big deal that is easier for narcs and alcohol. You may lol but you won’t if you have a wreck and test positive. Or get injured on a job and fail the routine drug test even though you haven’t smoked in a week. It is a big deal that needs to be addressed.

Same for nuclear power. I’m definitely for random testing for some professions (like mine) but there is a test that will discriminate, it’s jyst too expensive for broad use. IMO someone will challenge the current law as discriminatory and win (that person won’t be my BTW). I’d much rather use medicinal than opioids for my chronic pain and I am eligible but my profession won’t allow it. Four more years until retirement

I was out there recently and saw all the weed factories. No doubt there will be a huge economic lift for a while, similar to the lottery. It's hard enough to get people to work now, just wait until they can legally get smoked up. Have several friends that wake and bake. They are definitely not highly motivated.

Reactions: heydave101
I was out there recently and saw all the weed factories. No doubt there will be a huge economic lift for a while, similar to the lottery. It's hard enough to get people to work now, just wait until they can legally get smoked up. Have several friends that wake and bake. They are definitely not highly motivated.
Yep. Definitely no place in any industry for not being fit for duty. I had a waitress the other day who was obviously stoned, and while she’s not an endangerment, it sure pissed me off that she couldn’t get anything right.

Reactions: Jwilliamsiii
No, I didn’t say that. Just certain occupations. But proving impairment is a big deal that is easier for narcs and alcohol. You may lol but you won’t if you have a wreck and test positive. Or get injured on a job and fail the routine drug test even though you haven’t smoked in a week. It is a big deal that needs to be addressed.
It’s a big deal because the government makes it a big deal. And transportation industry uses a 5 panel test without watching the test be performed. I run a freight terminal and have never had a driver fail. Probably because synthetic piss works.

You’re acting like the test out there are solid. I’ve been a daily smoker since college and have passed every employment piss test I’ve taken.... it’s like all things government, never really does what it’s trying to do.

And I’m glad you can agree that there was no credible reason to ban CBD, but green plant bad.

LOL wut?

Reactions: iceheart08
The fact that blue laws still exist is baffling to me.

You’d think they would be consistent. When I lived in SC it was a sin to buy liquor on Sundays, but god allowed me to buy beer. Now that I live in GA it’s a sin to buy beer or liquor while church is going on. After church, 12:30 it is no longer a sin to purchase.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT