ADVERTISEMENT

Why the exodus from the state of Alabama?

Cabotiger

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Nov 24, 2003
Cabo San Lucas, BCS Mexico
I read an article today about the top states losing their populations and of course it's California, Illinois, Penn and Mass being the top 4 but surprisingly Alabama was ranked 5th ahead of New York at 6th. The states leading the way for new residents were Texas, Florida and Tenn which is next door to AL, then SC, AZ and Indiana.

Why are people leaving Alabama like the other states? I honestly don't know much about it's politics but I would think it's a red state therefore not much different than Tenn, SC or the surrounding southern states.

I know this will be a moot request but lets keep it as unpolitical as possible or at least keep it civil.

Ever been to Alabama?

Actually a lot like SC in some ways. The bigger towns are growing but the little towns (under 8-10,000 people) are drying up.....the small communities under 12-1500 people are basically ghost towns.....Take the back roads thru rural SC (Alabama) and you will see what I am talking about

Ever been to Alabama?

Actually a lot like SC in some ways. The bigger towns are growing but the little towns (under 8-10,000 people) are drying up.....the small communities under 12-1500 people are basically ghost towns.....Take the back roads thru rural SC (Alabama) and you will see what I am talking about
Didn't Mercedes open a plant there?

Job creation
Quality of Life
Lower Taxes

These are the big reasons people move into a state and why Texas, Florida and Tennessee have been winning.

Bama not as high as others on job creation is my best guess.

SC is doing well on that front combined with great quality of life with mountains and coast. Great for retirement too.

If SC did away with state income tax like Texas, Tennessee and Florida and improved its airports and roadways we would win more corporate relocations.

The extremely high paying corporate HQ jobs headed to Austin, TX and Nashville are impressive.

Ever been to Alabama?

Yea, what used to farming communities have lost all their residents because they can't earn anything. There's the Mercedes plant between Tuscaloosa and Bham. Only industry in Bham is UAB all the banking jobs moved to Charlotte. I think Huntsville is now the largest metro area due to NASA.

Job creation
Quality of Life
Lower Taxes

These are the big reasons people move into a state and why Texas, Florida and Tennessee have been winning.

Bama not as high as others on job creation is my best guess.

SC is doing well on that front combined with great quality of life with mountains and coast. Great for retirement too.

If SC did away with state income tax like Texas, Tennessee and Florida and improved its airports and roadways we would win more corporate relocations.

The extremely high paying corporate HQ jobs headed to Austin, TX and Nashville are impressive.
We don't need more people.

Too funny not to post

PHOTO-U-Haul-Salesperson-Of-The-Year-2021-Gavin-Newsom-Meme.jpg

Drive through Greenville sometime and you'll think the whole world has moved here. If there's a bare spot of dirt there's a housing developement or apt/condo units going up. And more cars than the roads allow during rush hours. Please, if you're thinking of moving this way, keep on going down to Fla.
Saw where Greenville is now ranked in the top 20 IN THE WORLD of places to visit. When I was growing up in Greenville it was ranked in the top 20 places to NOT visit in the US. LOL

Saw where Greenville is now ranked in the top 20 IN THE WORLD of places to visit. When I was growing up in Greenville it was ranked in the top 20 places to NOT visit in the US. LOL
Yikes I didn't know that! I know back in the day, there were places on the west side of town that you just didn't go to day or night. Things sure have changed and are still changing at a crazy pace. I used to work downtown and with the advent of work-from-home haven't been that way in a couple years. We went in to town for dinner over the holidays and I hardly recognize the place in just two years.

Not sure where the article got their data from but the state grew in population about 6% from the 2010 census to the 2020 census. Huntsville is growing like crazy. The Birmingham area is growing too (the city of Birmingham itself is losing population to the suburbs). Tuscaloosa, Auburn/Opelika, and Baldwin County are all growing. The blackbelt areas and rural towns are drying up as mentioned above, but for the first time in my lifetime, things are looking up here.

Not sure where the article got their data from but the state grew in population about 6% from the 2010 census to the 2020 census. Huntsville is growing like crazy. The Birmingham area is growing too (the city of Birmingham itself is losing population to the suburbs). Tuscaloosa, Auburn/Opelika, and Baldwin County are all growing. The blackbelt areas and rural towns are drying up as mentioned above, but for the first time in my lifetime, things are looking up here.

Texas is being over ran with Cali natives and Florida is literally being absolutely ran over the brim with people from the Mid-Atlantic up the 95 corridor it's getting a bit crazy down this way.

I don't know where this data comes from either, HSV is growing like crazy. Its not NASA, its all the DoD stuff coming in through Army and MDA funding. Then Space Force is still supposed to have HQ on the Arsenal, whenever that happens. HSV metro is expanding city limits all the time, to get that tax base. This is because the city can't charge tax revenue for all the Arsenal (Federal land) space.

Bham is a pop shift out of town, but its still crazy crowded.

No idea about bama, but housing prices in Mass certainly doesn’t make it feel like an exodus is happening here. Even Boston’s market is back to being insane after a brief dip due to Covid, with seemingly a lot of people moving from NYC.

Reactions: Esso Porch
Yikes I didn't know that! I know back in the day, there were places on the west side of town that you just didn't go to day or night. Things sure have changed and are still changing at a crazy pace. I used to work downtown and with the advent of work-from-home haven't been that way in a couple years. We went in to town for dinner over the holidays and I hardly recognize the place in just two years.

Greenville Rankings​

Business Climate

• Greenville ranked #2 best city in America to start a business - Xome 2016
  • Greenville listed as Top 10 Small Cities Where Business is Thriving - Nerdwallet and Entrepreneur study 2016
  • #1 Micro City of the Future, #1 City for Economic Potential, #2 City for Business Friendliness - fDi's American Cities of the Future 2015/16
  • Best Cities for Jobs – Manpower Survey as reported in Forbes Magazine 2013
  • South Carolina’s workforce ranked #6 in the nation and 14th best for “cost of doing business” -CNBC’s 2011 Top States for Business
  • South Carolina is # 9 in the rankings of Pro-Business States -Pollina Corporate Real Estate 2011
  • South Carolina ranked 11th most entrepreneur-friendly state in the Nation -Small Business and Entrepreneurial Council 2011
  • Greenville/Spartanburg area ranked #1 for Emerging Logistics / Distribution Growth Centers. -Business Facilities 2011
  • Greenville ranked in “30 Best Cities for Jobs” -Manpower Economic Outlook Survey 2011
  • Greenville ranked #43 out of 1,261 "Best Cities to Start a Business"- WalletHub 2018

Cost of Living

• Affordable Quality of Life – 90.3 -ACCRA, Annual Average for 2010
  • Top 10 Most Affordable Cities for 2010 (City of Greenville) -Relocate America

Education

• 9 Greenville County Public High Schools plus the Governor's School for Arts and Humanities in Top 6% Nationally - Newsweek Magazine 2013-2014
  • Clemson ranked as 20th Best National Public University -US News & World Report 2015

Quality of Life

• Downtown Greenville Chosen As A 'Top 10 Transformed Neighborhood' -Forbes, July 2013
  • Greenville, SC "The Next Big Food City of the South?" –Esquire Magazine 2013
  • The 25 Best US Small Cities to Spend the Weekend - Thrillist 2016
  • 16 Under-the-Radar Southern Food Destinations - Zagat 2016
  • Top 10 Best Places to Live - Men's Journal 2016
  • #35 Best Place to Live - U.S. News & World Report 2016
  • Top 4 Best Places to Raise a Family - MarketWatch 2016
  • Top 10 Cycling Cities in the United States - Global Cycling Network
  • TD Saturday Market: The South's Best Farmers' Markets - Southern Living 2015
  • Caesars Head State Park: SC's #1 Hidden Gem to Visit - USA Today Travel 2015
  • GHS Swamp Rabbit Trail: #3 Best Urban Trail - 10 Best/USA Today 2015
  • 7 Surprising Walkable Cities - Rejuvenate 2015
  • GHS Swamp Rabbit Trail: #1 America's Best Urban Bike Paths - Fodor's Travel 2015
  • Artisphere: #3 Best Art Festival - 10Best/USA Today 2015
  • Favorite Destination for Community Engagement- 2018 Readers' Choice Awards
  • 23 Places to Go Summer of 2018- Cheap Summer Travel
  • #5- South's Best Cities
  • #31 Best Cities to Live in the United States- Best Places US News

I read an article today about the top states losing their populations and of course it's California, Illinois, Penn and Mass being the top 4 but surprisingly Alabama was ranked 5th ahead of New York at 6th. The states leading the way for new residents were Texas, Florida and Tenn which is next door to AL, then SC, AZ and Indiana.

Why are people leaving Alabama like the other states? I honestly don't know much about it's politics but I would think it's a red state therefore not much different than Tenn, SC or the surrounding southern states.

I know this will be a moot request but lets keep it as unpolitical as possible or at least keep it civil.
Lived there 4.5 years when I moved with my company. The state is a shithole! Education system is awful.

Bc their sisters and farm animals moved to other states

• Haha
Reactions: Cabotiger

Maybe because AL has the highest tax on alcohol in the SouthEast. True.

There are just too many people in California. Cost of homes is the top of the list for why people are leaving but the traffic, congestion, taxes--it all contributes.

Cali isn't hurting either--they have a world economy in a single state. They have had too much prosperity in places like San Fran.

Florida has always been a destination for retirees--that isn't anything new. Cost of housing is still relatively cheap and folks still buy two homes and make Florida the residence to avoid taxes.

Folks are leaving the midwest bc the weather and everything about those places are getting worse. A state like Iowa used to have a great public education system to attract people--it sucks to live in Iowa but the schools are great was a selling point--not anymore.

I don't know about Bama--short answer must be that white sauce is overrated.

You ever been to Dothan???

Alabama had a lot of textile plants in the state with most being in smaller towns much like SC. It takes a long time to re-invent yourself and train a workforce. A generation of workers were lost as they knew nothing other than textiles much as it was here. BMW was a boom for the entire state of SC. Bama has a lot of this type industry there now but BMW has been here longer than most in that state.

Drive through Greenville sometime and you'll think the whole world has moved here. If there's a bare spot of dirt there's a housing developement or apt/condo units going up. And more cars than the roads allow during rush hours. Please, if you're thinking of moving this way, keep on going down to Fla.
Tons of international transplants into Greenville. I moved from Charleston to Gville during the pandemic and we were dealing with a similar influx there due to the Mercedes and Volvo plants.

Ever been to Alabama?

Not many backroads in upstate SC any longer

Sadly for me since my daughter lives in AL, they are 50th in education. Good thing is she's just in kindergarten and won't be staying in AL. I'm planning to leave TN sometime this year to be closer, looking around West Atlanta area. I'm gonna hate having income tax again...

Reactions: PCHOI

My son-in-law lives outside Atlanta in Fayetteville Georgia. He has been on several committees over the past year of traffic and congestion in downtown Atlanta. He said they are projecting over the next five years for Atlanta to grow from 6,000,000 to 12,000,000 people. The reason most Fortune 500 companies are moving to Atlanta is because of several reasons. Low taxes, diversity, no coast line, great weather, airport. They are also looking at fast train rails going from Atlanta to Charlotte in the near future as well. Have you been down 85 lately from commerce to Atlanta, it is a zoo of buildings going up everywhere.

Reactions: PCHOI and Cabotiger
Bama has a bit of a rust belt thing going on with its bigger cities, unlike coastal southern states and TN. Weather kind of sucks, too.
Rust belt is correct. They were an iron smelting state with Union employees. Huntsville was big aerospace until NASA was gutted. The state has about 60 miles of coastline with a port in Mobile. Those areas got hit by Katrina and other hurricanes and haven't really recovered.

Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
Huntsville and Greenville basically same town
Huntsville came to Greenville to inquire about revitalization of downtown and Greenville went to Huntsville for diversification of industry
Huntsville hard to get to but great town

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT