ADVERTISEMENT

Will Gundy get the same reaction Dabo got?

Dan Woken is already fully torqued on the topic

The criticism Dabo took for his “opinion” was ridiculous. He was just saying what he “thinks” will happen. He wasn’t stating it as fact.
All these guys spouting off about Dabo & now Gundy are just trying to make themselves relevant for a couple minutes. Finebaum’s dumbass included.

I post facts. I’m not being negative at all. I guarantee though there are some people pulling for bad results to use against you know who.

So let me get this straight:

Just about everyone knows someone, or knows someone who knows someone, who has been affected by this virus.

You're telling me there are people out there, because of an election, who react to hearing someone they know has been affected by it by saying: "Sweet. I love my friend but we gotta get this guy out of office. Go virus."

Come on man.

I appreciate the optimism and targeted date.
that said , there lots of ignorant statements in Gundy’s rambling there

One difference I see in Gundy's statement is that he is making statements about players fighting the disease, etc. Basically saying they aren't in danger so they should risk it. That's kinda stupid. At least that is how it sounds. I'm not under Gundy's mullet so I can't say for sure what he's thinking.

Dabo was just saying he thinks we'll beat this thing by football season. Expressing confidence in our God, our country (and the others fighting this), and our medical professionals and scientists on the front line in this fight. I don't see an issue with THAT, except I I will say that Dabo's planned trip to Florida is a bit tone-deaf on the surface.

Both have to believe the season will start on time and make their players believe that to keep them motivated.

Just about everyone knows someone, or knows someone who knows someone, who has been affected by this virus.

You're telling me there are people out there, because of an election, who react to hearing someone they know has been affected by it by saying: "Sweet. I love my friend but we gotta get this guy out of office. Go virus."

Come on man.

I think there are a few (as in maybe a couple dozen or so around the country) who think along those lines. Not many, and not statistically significant, but social media has a few examples that seem to be leaning that way. The great thing about social media is it gives everyone a voice.

The bad thing about social media is it gives everyone a voice.

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan

Come on man.

Not trying to get into a pissing match, but I will say this:

If I painted this following scenario: "This coronavirus will subside in the next 30 days, people will go back to work, the economy will take off, the death toll will be far, far less than anticipated, people will get to go on their vacations, sporting events and large public gatherings will resume, and our nation will begin to thrive again."

There are people I know personally who, beyond a shadow of a doubt, will be disappointed. I'm not talking about normal people like most of the people on this board. I'm talking about people who are consumed with every fiber of their being by hating and being critical of the President. There is a pretty large contingent of those people out there who would absolutely be disappointed with that scenario. I don't know if it's 20% of the people or 2%, but theyre loud enough to be heard.

They aren't sitting around hoping for Uncle Joe or Aunt Sally to die, but they absolutely want this virus to wreak havoc in the hopes that many Americans show up to the polls in November mad and fed up, and looking at Trump as the scapegoat. Just my opinion.

If I painted this following scenario: "This coronavirus will subside in the next 30 days, people will go back to work, the economy will take off, the death toll will be far, far less than anticipated, people will get to go on their vacations, sporting events and large public gatherings will resume, and our nation will begin to thrive again."

There are people I know personally who, beyond a shadow of a doubt, will be disappointed. I'm not talking about normal people like most of the people on this board. I'm talking about people who are consumed with every fiber of their being by hating and being critical of the President. There is a pretty large contingent of those people out there who would absolutely be disappointed with that scenario. I don't know if it's 20% of the people or 2%, but theyre loud enough to be heard.

They aren't sitting around hoping for Uncle Joe or Aunt Sally to die, but they absolutely want this virus to wreak havoc in the hopes that many Americans show up to the polls in November mad and fed up, and looking at Trump as the scapegoat. Just my opinion.

Where are they? Who?

Where are they? Who?

two people I know personally. One lives in NC and one in SC. They come across as polite and decent. But they are triggered to the max by trump. It says a lot about people during this pandemic when they get upset at any sign of positive news and attribute it to lies and delusion from the president. They’re both Bernie sanders zealots FWIW.

This thread proves the great words of Ron "tater salad" White, " You Just Can't Fix Stupid."

two people I know personally. One lives in NC and one in SC. They come across as polite and decent. But they are triggered to the max by trump. It says a lot about people during this pandemic when they get upset at any sign of positive news and attribute it to lies and delusion from the president. They’re both Bernie sanders zealots FWIW.

So these are friends of yours, and you believe they're secretly pulling for this thing to last long enough to kill enough people and shatter the economy to get Trump out of office.

Reactions: ddot7
So these are friends of yours, and you believe they're secretly pulling for this thing to last long enough to kill enough people and shatter the economy to get Trump out of office.

We are Facebook friends (whatever that's worth). They are people who I've known in my life and gotten along with. I can get along with people who don't share the same political or religious beliefs as me. I wouldn't classify them as close, personal friends. But my opinion of them has changed during this ordeal.

And I believe exactly what I said in my first post, that they would be disappointed at the scenario I laid out. I believe that 100%. If medical experts came out today and stated that Hydroxychlorquine is super effective at treating Covid-19, then these people would be sorely disappointed, because that would cast Trump in a positive light.

We are Facebook friends (whatever that's worth). They are people who I've known in my life and gotten along with. I can get along with people who don't share the same political or religious beliefs as me. I wouldn't classify them as close, personal friends. But my opinion of them has changed during this ordeal.

And I believe exactly what I said in my first post, that they would be disappointed at the scenario I laid out. I believe that 100%. If medical experts came out today and stated that Hydroxychlorquine is super effective at treating Covid-19, then these people would be sorely disappointed, because that would cast Trump in a positive light.

Do these two people have jobs? They'd be cool with losing them in exchange for getting Trump out of office?

Look: There are people who hate the president. There are people who REALLY hate him right now, about a month after he thought it was a good idea to call this thing a hoax.

There were plenty of people who passionately hated Obama, and George W. before him, and so on.

Take all those people, and I'm going to bet not many would've been willing to exchange our country getting torn to pieces so they could have their preferred candidate in office.

Saying a bunch of folks are "pulling for the virus" just because they can't stand our president ... yeah, I'm not buying it. At all.

Do these two people have jobs? They'd be cool with losing them in exchange for getting Trump out of office?

Look: There are people who hate the president. There are people who REALLY hate him right now, about a month after he thought it was a good idea to call this thing a hoax.

There were plenty of people who passionately hated Obama, and George W. before him, and so on.

Take all those people, and I'm going to bet not many would've been willing to exchange our country getting torn to pieces so they could have their preferred candidate in office.

Saying a bunch of folks are "pulling for the virus" just because they can't stand our president ... yeah, I'm not buying it. At all.

One is retired. He moved down here from up north and rented from me for a year before he bought a home. I worked with him as his realtor. That's been 6 years ago.

Another was actually a writer who also rented from me while he was writing for our town newspaper. Nice polite guy who was a good writer. He moved back home and, I guess, got out the newspaper business. I suppose that allowed him to begin sharing his true political beliefs on social media.

And I stated earlier that I didn't know how many of these types of people existed. But they do, indeed, exist.

If you don't know anyone like that then that's good for you. I've decided recently to limit social media due to the overwhelming negativity and political bickering.

I think the vast, vast majority of folks realize this virus is real and dangerous, and want to rally together to beat it and get back to our daily lives real soon.

And also I should say I appreciate you sharing positivity on this Board. I look forward to it every day. It's a breath of fresh air for sure.

We live in a world, pre and post pandemic, where people find what they are looking for. If you are looking for extreme Trump haters you find them. If you are looking for the extreme elements of the President's base you find them. Objectivity and common sense are getting crushed (have been for a while).

One is retired. He moved down here from up north and rented from me for a year before he bought a home. I worked with him as his realtor. That's been 6 years ago.

Another was actually a writer who also rented from me while he was writing for our town newspaper. Nice polite guy who was a good writer. He moved back home and, I guess, got out the newspaper business. I suppose that allowed him to begin sharing his true political beliefs on social media.

And I stated earlier that I didn't know how many of these types of people existed. But they do, indeed, exist.

If you don't know anyone like that then that's good for you. I've decided recently to limit social media due to the overwhelming negativity and political bickering.

I think the vast, vast majority of folks realize this virus is real and dangerous, and want to rally together to beat it and get back to our daily lives real soon.

And also I should say I appreciate you sharing positivity on this Board. I look forward to it every day. It's a breath of fresh air for sure.

Sure man. We can disagree. No worries at all. Thanks for being here!

Reactions: CUGladiator
We live in a world, pre and post pandemic, where people find what they are looking for. If you are looking for extreme Trump haters you find them. If you are looking for the extreme elements of the President's base you find them. Objectivity and common sense are getting crushed (have been for a while).

Absolutely.

I don't really get what's wrong about what either coach said. May 1st really is pretty ambitious, but he's not going to force his guys out there to play if it's not safe. Neither is Dabo Swinney. By the way, you can still fly on commercial airliners. Why be upset about somebody flying on a private plane to another family home? Once again, the point of these shelter in place orders isn't that you never leave your house, it's that you minimize contact with people outside of the people you live with.

I've also never heard of Gundy being some kind of beloved figure among the media. More like the opposite, especially because of his "I'm a man" rant.

I post facts. I’m not being negative at all. I guarantee though there are some people pulling for bad results to use against you know who.
Probably. I do think the reaction by some to Trump's incautious comments about hydroxycholoroquine have been bizarre.

There are also a lot of people who ignore anything that doesn't make them think the coronavirus is no big deal. Ironically, a lot of these people seem to be very into Trump, even though Trump has endorsed the policies they don't like. Strange situation all around, but making everything about Trump doesn't help.

Last edited:
These TWO PEOPLE have said that they don't want this to end soon so it wreaks havoc, don't want to see the economy bounce back, want to see more lives lost, don't want to see public gatherings resume, and don't want our nation thrive again in the near future because it could mean Trump would be out of office?

Or any you making that assumption because you think (or know) they're part of this radical left that Trump and his cronies keep pushing down your throat (pause) as just about any non-Republican and thus they'd just HAVE to feel that way? That's mostly rhetorical, by the way.

You said "There is a pretty large contingent of those people out there who would absolutely be disappointed with that scenario. I don't know if it's 20% of the people or 2%, but theyre loud enough to be heard." So what is it...a large contingent of those people or 2%?
I mean, it's even debatable that 20% is a large contingent but sure. You're making pretty definitive statements about VERY extreme behavior which is irresponsible at best.

Are there maybe a handful of absolutely out of their mind folks who just want to see everything fail because it's a reflection on Trump? Sure. It's also fair to say there were some people who made it very clear that they were okay with US failures during Obama's presidency for those same reasons. But people (maybe not you specifically) who make these comments about how "libs want to see a million people die" are also out of your cotdamn minds however it's not fair to say that's a reflection of "a large contingent" either.

Reactions: clemsontiger02
Probably. I do think the reaction by some to Trump's incautious comments about hydroxycholoroquine have been bizarre.

There are also a lot of people who ignore anything that doesn't make them think the coronavirus is no big deal. Ironically, a lot of these people seem to be very into Trump, even though Trump has endorsed the policies they don't like. Strange situation all around, but making everything about Trump doesn't help.

you don’t see how a politician advocating for a medication that has failed to show clinical benefit in the treatment of COVID (one recent study published this week even showed that it actually does nothing) leads to confusion from the general public’s point of view ?

What’s the obsession with HCQ specifically anyway? I don’t get it

I don’t mind Dabo traveling on a private plane. Not a big deal from a public health standpoint.
I also don’t have a problem with a coach setting an optimistic start date - doesn’t matter because ultimately it won’t be up to them. The rest of Gundy’s comments were, for the most part, a bit ignorant.

Last edited by a moderator:

You do know that 2% of America would be roughly 7 million people, right? You’re saying there’s 7 million people rooting for the virus? You don’t really believe that. It is possible to be very critical of Trump and the way he’s handled this from the start and question who stands to gain financially from his promoting this unproven cure without rooting for the virus.

You do know that 2% of America would be roughly 7 million people, right? You’re saying there’s 7 million people rooting for the virus? You don’t really believe that. It is possible to be very critical of Trump and the way he’s handled this from the start and question who stands to gain financially from his promoting this unproven cure without rooting for the virus.

I believe 99.999999999999 percent of people are worried about the following things ahead of an election:

1) Their families (particularly older family members who are in the susceptible demographic, or younger family members who have pre-existing conditions)

2) Their jobs.

3) Their communities in which large numbers of people they know are out of work.

4) Their country and the overall basic health of it.

Bickering with friends and family on Facebook is corrosive, particularly in this case when even the REAL experts have struggled to obtain a picture of what present and future reality looks like.

Let's be honest - no one is actually rooting for the virus. But both sides are using every aspect of it for political purposes. The right is spinning the positives and the left is trying to dispute them. A tale as old as time.

I do my best to try to see both sides of this, but it does come across that the left is far more aggressive in trying to disprove any positive news coming from the handling of this by this administration. For example, did the president overstep when he mentioned an unproven drug? Depends on your point of view I suppose. But the zeal I have seen from reporters and left-leaning friends pointing out all the reasons (not all founded) for why it shouldn't work is sad.

And it is hard not to think that there isn't an agenda out there from MSM against any success this administration has shown. Like I said, I try to see both sides, but when you see reports like below showing up only to be debunked within hours, you tend to wonder. And ABC still has the story up.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/int...isis-early-november-sources/story?id=70031273

Statement from the head of the NCMI:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">JUST IN: Director of DIA’s National Center for Medical Intelligence issues rare, unrequested statement regarding COVID. <a href="https://t.co/tCw0GRchJ6">pic.twitter.com/tCw0GRchJ6</a></p>&mdash; W.J. Hennigan (@wjhenn) <a href="">April 9, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Let's be honest - no one is actually rooting for the virus. But both sides are using every aspect of it for political purposes. The right is spinning the positives and the left is trying to dispute them. A tale as old as time.

I do my best to try to see both sides of this, but it does come across that the left is far more aggressive in trying to disprove any positive news coming from the handling of this by this administration. For example, did the president overstep when he mentioned an unproven drug? Depends on your point of view I suppose. But the zeal I have seen from reporters and left-leaning friends pointing out all the reasons (not all founded) for why it shouldn't work is sad.

And it is hard not to think that there isn't an agenda out there from MSM against any success this administration has shown. Like I said, I try to see both sides, but when you see reports like below showing up only to be debunked within hours, you tend to wonder. And ABC still has the story up.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/int...isis-early-november-sources/story?id=70031273

Statement from the head of the NCMI:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">JUST IN: Director of DIA’s National Center for Medical Intelligence issues rare, unrequested statement regarding COVID. <a href="https://t.co/tCw0GRchJ6">pic.twitter.com/tCw0GRchJ6</a></p>&mdash; W.J. Hennigan (@wjhenn) <a href=" ">April 9, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

well said. Seeing so many people on the left push back so vehemently against the notion of a treatment, or a potential restart to the economy is very telling IMO.

Reactions: RaleighTiger
well said. Seeing so many people on the left push back so vehemently against the notion of a treatment, or a potential restart to the economy is very telling IMO.

can you give an example of *anyone* “pushing back against the notion of a treatment”? I’m genuinely curious

Cc : @RaleighTiger

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Smiling_Tiger
can you give an example of *anyone* “pushing back against the notion of a treatment”? I’m genuinely curious

Cc : @RaleighTiger

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2...refute-trumps-mystifying-claim-zinc-can-treat

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2020/04/dark-money-groups-pushed-trump-to-back-hydroxychloroquine/

and yes I know it hasn't been FDA approved. Yes I know there's still testing that needs to be done. But IMO it's at least some glimmer of hope of a treatment that apparently some people aren't interested in hearing about.

Reactions: RaleighTiger
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2...refute-trumps-mystifying-claim-zinc-can-treat

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2020/04/dark-money-groups-pushed-trump-to-back-hydroxychloroquine/

and yes I know it hasn't been FDA approved. Yes I know there's still testing that needs to be done. But IMO it's at least some glimmer of hope of a treatment that apparently some people aren't interested in hearing about.

im a guy who likes to be told the truth and for facts to be discussed. I’m not a fan of being sold on something under false pretenses or false hope. I feel like I’ve said this a million times now, but yes the drug is currently being used under a trial setting mostly.

Meanwhile, some people aren’t interested in hearing about the fact that no studies have shown this drug works and instead prefer to be oversold on something that to this point - in spite of multiple countries using it and publishing it - has not been shown to work. And i feel like whenever someone uses scientific data to temper the enthusiasm, they get labeled as someone who is pulling “vehemently” against treatment

im a guy who likes to be told the truth and for facts to be discussed. I’m not a fan of being sold on something under false pretenses or false hope. I feel like I’ve said this a million times now, but yes the drug is currently being used under a trial setting mostly.

Meanwhile, some people aren’t interested in hearing about the fact that no studies have shown this drug works and instead prefer to be oversold on something that to this point - in spite of multiple countries using it and publishing it - has not been shown to work. And i feel like whenever someone uses scientific data to temper the enthusiasm, they get labeled as someone who is pulling “vehemently” against treatment

I would agree with what you're saying. And I wouldn't classify you in the group of people I've encountered and to whom I'm referring.

I agree that the drug definitely needs to be tested more, and can't be sold as a cure yet. However I don't think it's entirely accurate to say "no studies" have shown anything.

Clearly there is some glimmer of hope there, or else so many hospitals wouldn't be trying it. My main disappointment is that when Trump says anything positive or optimistic, there's a mad dash to refute it and poo poo all over it as much and as quickly as possible.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...larial-drug-in-new-york-hospitals-anecdotally

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/20/novartis-to-donate-malaria-drug-in-fight-against-coronavirus.html

Reactions: C-TeamHOF
I would agree with what you're saying. And I wouldn't classify you in the group of people I've encountered and to whom I'm referring.

I agree that the drug definitely needs to be tested more, and can't be sold as a cure yet. However I don't think it's entirely accurate to say "no studies" have shown anything.

Clearly there is some glimmer of hope there, or else so many hospitals wouldn't be trying it. My main disappointment is that when Trump says anything positive or optimistic, there's a mad dash to refute it and poo poo all over it as much and as quickly as possible.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...larial-drug-in-new-york-hospitals-anecdotally

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/20/novartis-to-donate-malaria-drug-in-fight-against-coronavirus.html

anecdotal evidence isn’t evidence that it works. Anecdotally, many of my colleagues are saying it doesn’t work. Scientifically, in spite of multiple studies, it hasn’t shown to work.
People get annoyed with politicians who promote vehemently for drugs under the false hope that it works. That spreads mixed messages and propagates false information.

the reason why doctors are using it Is because there is no other drug for this so u might as well try something, not because most doctors (I don’t want to speak for all) think it works or because any evidence exists that it does. Thats a clear difference.

it’s the medical community’s responsibly to properly inform the public on topics related to medicine, and failing to do so because some will view it as “poo pooing” what a politician said about the topic they are not an expert on is an abdication of our duty. But i have slowly gotten the impression that some people would rather be fed false information, as long as it’s an “optimistic” false information

anecdotal evidence isn’t evidence that it works. Anecdotally, many of my colleagues are saying it doesn’t work. Scientifically, in spite of multiple studies, it hasn’t shown to work.
People get annoyed with politicians who promote vehemently for drugs under the false hope that it works. That spreads mixed messages and propagates false information.

the reason why doctors are using it Is because there is no other drug for this so u might as well try something, not because most doctors (I don’t want to speak for all) think it works or because any evidence exists that it does. Thats a clear difference.

it’s the medical community’s responsibly to properly inform the public on topics related to medicine, and failing to do so because some will view it as “poo pooing” what a politician said about the topic they are not an expert on is an abdication of our duty. But i have slowly gotten the impression that some people would rather be fed false information, as long as it’s an “optimistic” false information

This sums up my point. And yes I know this is satire.

Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
you know that’s a fake story right ? Goodness

you know what isn’t fake? Anthony Fauci having to have personal security bc nuts have threatened him for doing his job

did you read the top part of my post ?

And there are some absolute loons on the far right as well, I agree.

This sums up my point. And yes I know this is satire.

What point does it sum up? That anyone can make shit up like about the people you personally know/Facebook friends/former tenants (did I miss anything?) to fit a certain narrative?

I asked you whether your friends have actually said anything of the sort about the scenario you painted or you just assumed that's how they and the 2% or 20% "large contingent" but you conveniently didn't respond...

you don’t see how a politician advocating for a medication that has failed to show clinical benefit in the treatment of COVID (one recent study published this week even showed that it actually does nothing) leads to confusion from the general public’s point of view ?

What’s the obsession with HCQ specifically anyway? I don’t get it

I don’t mind Dabo traveling on a private plane. Not a big deal from a public health standpoint.
I also don’t have a problem with a coach setting an optimistic start date - doesn’t matter because ultimately it won’t be up to them. The rest of Gundy’s comments were, for the most part, a bit ignorant.
I think Trump is a doofus and responds like a goldfish to anything that is in front of his face at the time. When he first got onto hydroxychloroquine, it was because of the French study that looked more conclusive (claiming that nearly everybody given the hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin combo recovered) than it really was. Many physicians really are using hydroxychloquine to try to treat people with COVID-19 because of provisional evidence that it's an effective treatment; and, really, why not when there aren't any FDA-approved treatments? This is what Trump is responding to. He's not just making claims out of whole cloth. And I don't think any physician worth his license is making treatment decisions based on what Donald Trump thinks.

But it should be up to a physician to make decisions about how to treat patients, and that physician shouldn't feel pressure to use hydroxychloroquine if they don't think it will work. In that sense, Trump didn't help them, because patients and patients' families may now push physicians to use drugs the physician doesn't believe in. I've also heard anecdotal evidence that remdesivir is a more effective treatment. This, combined with the fact that hydroxychloroquine is unproven and is also in need to treat other conditions, is why politicians shouldn't get into clinical topics.

Nevertheless, my point was that the freakout over Trump's interest in hydrochloroquine seems unwarranted (again, it should be noted that it hasn't been proven effective, but the tone of every story mentioning hydroxychloroquine make it seem extremely dangerous and entirely ineffective, and one really dumb story alleges Trump is pushing it to try to make money; another blames Trump for a guy dying from eating aquarium cleaner), not that there's nothing wrong with politicians making clinical claims. It's being treated as if there was no reason for talking about it in the first place, and that it can only be harmful. I don't have a problem with a politician showing some optimism about treatments with some evidence of efficacy, but, as I said, what Trump said was characteristically incautious. People like Fauci and Birx, who've simply said that there's not enough evidence to say whether hydroxychloroquine is effective, have responded more appropriately.

Last edited:
Where are they? Who?
The hate is at a all time high LW. There’s always been political opposition but it’s a lil crazy with this guy. Ami Horowitz is a great follow on YouTube. This video says it all. I’d be willing to bet that a large percentage of the media feel this way too. If Ami could guarantee their anonymity you would get the same level of crazy responses.

Reactions: C-TeamHOF
ADVERTISEMENT