ADVERTISEMENT

Flood gates have been opened

I know plenty of people who were married to the opposite sex had children with them then decided that they were "born gay". Never heard of a hetero person getting into a homo relationship and then deciding they were "born straight". Yes, I've heard all of the arguments that homosexuals marry the opposite sex out of societal pressures, but I can assure you, that even in a bizzarro universe where homo would be the norm, this boy could not/would not marry some dude. Also, there are plenty of former homosexuals that have been helped out of that lifestyle through counseling and go on to live a happy hetero life and have children. Just saying that there is no definitive proof that homosexuals are born that way.

You know plenty of people? Yeah, right. When did you choose to be straight? I never did. I was born that way.

Of course you were. You were born with the same equipment and hormones that I and all the homosexual men were born with.

Either we are born with our sexuality or we choose it. Its not possible for it be true for one group and not another.

Its a silly argument because the two aren't the same. People are born gay. You aren't born polygamous and incest is a completely different matter because of the potential real physical damage done to offspring.

I'm betting that they will very quickly make the argument that they were "Born this way"
Science can only offer a short term opinion on the matter.

Just so I'm clear. If someone bangs animals, by this thought process, they are born that way? The person didn't wake up and say, "Hmm today I'm going to have sex with a goat." This hypothetical person was born with sexual attraction to animals. I just don't get that but what do I know. Kind of like the trans argument that they were born that way because that's how they identify themselves. Can I be a Siamese cat? That's what I identify myself as. Where does logic ever begin?

Reactions: scartiger
Who cares what consenting adults "choose" to do with other consenting adults, It's nobody's business but their own.

I don't care whether it's a choice(which for the record I don't believe it is) or they are born that way, why does it matter what they are doing? I don't worry how everyone lives their lives even if it's not my thing.

Reactions: Smiling_Tiger
Not trying to start a religious or political thread but to those that said in the thread last week that it wouldn't happen well it took less than a week. 18 year old girl wants to marry het father and have children. Man in Montana is going to sue caused the law is about marriage equality. Has one wife now wants to marry a second wife ( like one isn't to many already ) just a matter of time before these laws.are past also.
That is true. Polygamy hasn't been legal for thousands of years in the western world

Actually, I know personally of 5 separate instances myself of hetero to homo and one instance of hetro to homo and back to hetero again. Went to church with a couple years ago who were about the same age as my wife and I. They had 4 kids, all girls, and we had 5 kids, so we had a lot in common and became friends outside of church. After 3-4 years this couple had marital problems. The wife moved out and soon was living with another woman in a lesbian relationship. The husband was devastated as you might expect. This happened 15 years ago and recently another mutual friend showed me this same husband's facebook posting and this guy was in a picture hugging another guy and saying they were about to move to Atlanta.

Another instance was about 10 years ago, I was a partner in a business that utilized office space in a place called "The Point" of off Woodruff rd in Greenville. One these places where small business can rent office space, cubicles, and secretarial services, etc. One of employees told me there was a new tenant moving into the office next to mine. She was a georgious 25 year old and had a small daughter, about 4 years old. After meeting her, my employee told me this young woman was gay and was engaged to some butch. One of the Greenville monthly publications actually did an article on these two love birds, complete with pictures of my business neighbor in a wedding gown and the butch wearing a tux. Within a year this young woman had kicked butch out the house and was dating a young man who also had an office the point.

because if being gay was a choice, then YOU could wake up one morning and say to yourself " ya know what? I really feel like sucking a dick today"

Choice or Genetics is a suckers bet. The bottom line is that THAT doesn't matter.
Argue it til the cows come home. Doesn't change anything germane to the issue.

Stop. There have been some people in the world that have always committed incest. Literally from the first humans. That doesn't make it ok or mean that its going to be legalized and comparing gay marriage to incest is absurd and idiotic. As for animals, again just stop. I'll make you a deal. As soon as an animal is legally able to sign a legally binding contract, we'll both legitimately worry about that.

I didn't make any comparisons. I just responded to the OP's assertion regarding the slippery slope we're on as a culture. Where did I even mention gay marriage? We are, at an every increasing pace, removing absolutes from our culture and society. That is not idiotic, that is an obvious fact. Where does the line get drawn? Heck, even people in this thread are suggesting that whatever anyone wants to do to make them happy, go for it. There is no moral code. For a country that is built on laws, that's pretty concerning. I never mentioned marriage to an animal. That was someone else in this thread. However, you can't tell me that I am wrong about the "jokes" in the media about relations with animals. Everyone just laughs it off. The principle is true. Whatever we laugh at, we will become so desensitized to we will begin to accept as mainstream.

Just so I'm clear. If someone bangs animals, by this thought process, they are born that way? The person didn't wake up and say, "Hmm today I'm going to have sex with a goat." This hypothetical person was born with sexual attraction to animals. I just don't get that but what do I know. Kind of like the trans argument that they were born that way because that's how they identify themselves. Can I be a Siamese cat? That's what I identify myself as. Where does logic ever begin?
I think the obvious difference would be that it is not a consensual relationship with an animal. And, yes, you can be a siamese cat if you want to be. As long as what people do doesn't infringe on the rights of others, why do you care?

Reactions: JackPackTerrier
Choice or Genetics is a suckers bet. The bottom line is that THAT doesn't matter.

IMO, we are all born broken. Some people have a propensity to lie, some to addictions, some to womanize, some to whatever you can name. I don't think people are born homosexual. There is no physiological proof of that. However, again we are all born with broken souls and with propensities to certain unhealthy issues. Add in abuse, emotion wounds, and we all medicate pain and long for acceptance and love one way or another. Many time these pursuits are unhealthy. I believe it is a soulish issue and not physical one.

Also, when I was a senior in high school, I was dating a 10th grade girl. We were in a smallish school in a small town in rural S.C. Some of her 10th grade friends, boys and girls, got on this kick of experimenting with homosexuality. There were about 10 of them all together, (my girl friend included). All but two of them came back to being totally straight within 3-4 years. Of the two that didn't, the girl was still a lesbian, last I heard. The guy committed suicide some years later.

Right, in the grand scheme, choice or born that way is irrelevant in the marriage equality argument but some really like to use as a point of contention.

Also, when I was a senior in high school, I was dating a 10th grade girl. We were in a smallish school in a small town in rural S.C. Some of her 10th grade friends, boys and girls, got on this kick of experimenting with homosexuality. There were about 10 of them all together, (my girl friend included). All but two of them came back to being totally straight within 3-4 years. Of the two that didn't, the girl was still a lesbian, last I heard. The guy committed suicide some years later.
So you were living every 17 year old boy's fantasy? Please tell me you took advantage of that

John Boy and Billy used to do a skit with Mad Max talking about what would compel a man to wake up one morning and say "You know what I want today? I want a big ole hairy butt!"
I remember that was hilarious.

Either we are born with our sexuality or we choose it. Its not possible for it be true for one group and not another.

In that case, then bisexuals are born with both sexualities. If they can be born with both, then why not a third? Or fourth? I have much empathy for anyone who is homosexual, btw,and do not shun anyone personally, and am nice to everyone I come into contact with. I just believe people are born with the equipment and hormones to be a man or a woman. Something happens along the way that confuses them emotionally, psychologically, or whatever and they become attracted to the same sex. I don't want anyone to think that I can't be friends with a homosexual. I can, but admit that it is a casual friendship, probably because we never seem to share the same interest. I used a barber for years that was homosexual. I liked the guy and we had very good conversations. My son even did some landscape work for him and his "roommate" as a teenager and I had no qualms about letting him work on their premises. Not saying this to pat myself on the back, but just saying that I don't abhor people who live a different lifestyle, I just don't believe they were born this way.

In that case, then bisexuals are born with both sexualities. If they can be born with both, then why not a third? Or fourth? I have much empathy for anyone who is homosexual, btw,and do not shun anyone personally, and am nice to everyone I come into contact with. I just believe people are born with the equipment and hormones to be a man or a woman. Something happens along the way that confuses them emotionally, psychologically, or whatever and they become attracted to the same sex. I don't want anyone to think that I can't be friends with a homosexual. I can, but admit that it is a casual friendship, probably because we never seem to share the same interest. I used a barber for years that was homosexual. I liked the guy and we had very good conversations. My son even did some landscape work for him and his "roommate" as a teenager and I had no qualms about letting him work on their premises. Not saying this to pat myself on the back, but just saying that I don't abhor people who live a different lifestyle, I just don't believe they were born this way.
This isn't true at all. You can say people aren't born gay, just like I can say the world is flat, but science shows people are born with genes that make them highly inclined to be gay, straight, or some combination.

Reactions: Smiling_Tiger
Stop. There have been some people in the world that have always committed incest. Literally from the first humans. That doesn't make it ok or mean that its going to be legalized and comparing gay marriage to incest is absurd and idiotic. As for animals, again just stop. I'll make you a deal. As soon as an animal is legally able to sign a legally binding contract, we'll both legitimately worry about that.

Is your concern incest or procreation?

Since your argument appears to be procreation, then a gay man could marry his gay son or two gay brothers or sisters could marry?

This isn't true at all. You can say people aren't born gay, just like I can say the world is flat, but science shows people are born with genes that make them highly inclined to be gay, straight, or some combination.

What science? Yeah there is "science" that says man made global warming is going to destroy the earth, and then there is "science" that says it's a hoax.
Also, if true, then how do you explain people that are straight; then go homo, and later back to straight. I know for a fact, the 10th grade kids I described in my previous post were all straight to begin with and were just experimenting. I also know for a fact that there have been Christian homosexuals who, through Christian psychological counseling, have been delivered out of homosexuality and later married the opposite sex and had children.

Last edited:
What science? Yeah there is "science" that says man made global warming is going to destroy the earth, and then there is "science" that says it's a hoax.
Also, if true, then how do you explain people that are straight; then go homo, and later back to straight. I know for a fact, the 10th grade kids I described in my previous post were all straight to begin with and were just experimenting. I also know for a fact that there have been Christian homosexuals who, through Christian psychological counseling, have been delivered out of homosexuality and later married the opposite sex and had children.
robert-deniro-laughing.gif

Reactions: Clems0nTiger
Not trying to start a religious or political thread but to those that said in the thread last week that it wouldn't happen well it took less than a week. 18 year old girl wants to marry het father and have children. Man in Montana is going to sue caused the law is about marriage equality. Has one wife now wants to marry a second wife ( like one isn't to many already ) just a matter of time before these laws.are past also.

Child molesters want to marry, too. No joke. Saw a post yesterday.

My pastor, Ron Carpenter, at Redemption in Greenville, taught an hour on the subject of homosexuality and gay marriage last night. Best teaching I've ever heard on any subject. Factual and full of grace and love. One of the most powerful and shocking things he read was actually written in a gay magazine. What they wrote toward religion and traditional marriage showed which side of that situation carries the real hatred. Also, the statistics on life expectancy of gays - even excluding AIDS - was very telling.
It's on Youtube if anyone wants to see it.

There is literally no science that isn't back door funded by oil and gas that refutes climate change. But that is another subject. I think your point is science can often tell us conflicting stories based on the study. There have been several genes pin pointed that relate to sexuality. Google that and you can find the papers if you want to really get into it. So you either "believe" science or you don't. And these papers say that these genes make you heavily inclined toward heterosexual, homosexual or a mixture of behaviors.

Child molesters want to marry, too. No joke. Saw a post yesterday.

My pastor, Ron Carpenter, at Redemption in Greenville, taught an hour on the subject of homosexuality and gay marriage last night. Best teaching I've ever heard on any subject. Factual and full of grace and love. One of the most powerful and shocking things he read was actually written in a gay magazine. What they wrote toward religion and traditional marriage showed which side of that situation carries the real hatred. Also, the statistics on life expectancy of gays - even excluding AIDS - was very telling.
It's on Youtube if anyone wants to see it.

Based on a single gay magazine article, you can come to this conclusion? Holy crap. You don't have to celebrate their union, you don't have to marry a gay person. In fact, they don't infringe on you in ANY WAY. If the term 'marriage' wasn't used to describe what the supreme court ruled on, I think so few people would have any issue with it. It's a government civil union. A couple dudes want to sign up for health care benefits together, or combine their tax returns - who cares? If you get it, why can't they? Gay couples want to sign up for the same government, public benefits (non-church related benefits, mind you) that you and I receive. You don't want that because of who they are. That's the very definition of discrimination if I've ever heard one.

And using life expectancy statistics to justify why something is wrong? WTF?!? Let's all go on a witch hunt and determine what else is wrong with people because they die young. Got cancer? Maybe you didn't pray hard enough. Heart defect? Parents sinned too much. I had no idea that life expectancy was God's way of weeding out the sinners.

There is literally no science that isn't back door funded by oil and gas that refutes climate change. But that is another subject. I think your point is science can often tell us conflicting stories based on the study. There have been several genes pin pointed that relate to sexuality. Google that and you can find the papers if you want to really get into it. So you either "believe" science or you don't. And these papers say that these genes make you heavily inclined toward heterosexual, homosexual or a mixture of behaviors.

Not sure if you're speaking of this:
W. Rice et al. “Homosexuality as a consequence of epigenetically canalized sexual development,” The Quarterly Review of Biology 87, no. 4 (2012):343–368.
If so, even the author had this to say:
“Although pedigree studies indicate a familial association of homosexuality in both males and females,” the authors write, “more than a decade of molecular genetic studies have produced no consistent evidence for a major gene, or other genetic marker, contributing to male homosexuality. Moreover, the most recent genome-wide association study using exceptionally high marker density found no significant association between homosexuality in males and any SNPs.”3 Thus, the authors of this study affirm that no genetic change associated with homosexuality has ever been found. And if such a “gay gene” did exist, the prevalence of homosexuality in biological families would be much higher. Furthermore, they do not claim to have actually found such a genetic or even an epigenetic change themselves.

W. Rice et al. “Homosexuality as a consequence of epigenetically canalized sexual development,” The Quarterly Review of Biology 87, no. 4 (2012):343–368.
“Although pedigree studies indicate a familial association of homosexuality in both males and females,” the authors write, “more than a decade of molecular genetic studies have produced no consistent evidence for a major gene, or other genetic marker, contributing to male homosexuality. Moreover, the most recent genome-wide association study using exceptionally high marker density found no significant association between homosexuality in males and any SNPs.”3 Thus, the authors of this study affirm that no genetic change associated with homosexuality has ever been found. And if such a “gay gene” did exist, the prevalence of homosexuality in biological families would be much higher. Furthermore, they do not claim to have actually found such a genetic or even an epigenetic change themselves.
You completely missed the point of that. That means they aren't passed on from generation to generation. They are like switches that are turned off and on. That's the difference between genetics and epigenetics. the author was saying genetics wasn't the cause but epigenetics. To a layperson, that is mere semantics.

You completely missed the point of that. That means they aren't passed on from generation to generation. They are like switches that are turned off and on. That's the difference between genetics and epigenetics. the author was saying genetics wasn't the cause but epigenetics. To a layperson, that is mere semantics.
Even if you were born that way you still have a choice. Just like with anything else if you know it's wrong you still have to decide to do it or not.

Even if you were born that way you still have a choice. Just like with anything else if you know it's wrong you still have to decide to do it or not.
That's your opinion that it's wrong though. My definition of a universally wrong action, or a sin, is something that affects your fellow man. If your actions don't affect anyone else, how can they be "wrong"?

If that's your opinion, then there's really nothing I or anyone else can say. Many of us have different perceptions on what is "wrong", and it's contextual for some people. But you and I both know that we live in a world with many religious and secular people, and so rules that govern both must not be specific to one group over another. I'd rather make up my mind about somebody or something based on discussion with the person and gathering information to make an informed decision. You'd rather judge somebody by what a book says.

That's your opinion that it's wrong though. My definition of a universally wrong action, or a sin, is something that affects your fellow man. If your actions don't affect anyone else, how can they be "wrong"?
Cause when only you sin it effects your relationship with Jesus Christ is how I believe. But I understand why others don't believe that way. I still sin so don't think I'm holier than thou but I strive not to sin which is very hard.

Reactions: Gwump11
If that's your opinion, then there's really nothing I or anyone else can say. Many of us have different perceptions on what is "wrong", and it's contextual for some people. But you and I both know that we live in a world with many religious and secular people, and so rules that govern both must not be specific to one group over another. I'd rather make up my mind about somebody or something based on discussion with the person and gathering information to make an informed decision. You'd rather judge somebody by what a book says.
No I'm not judging anyone but I believe what God says. That's His job in the end. But I do believe in wrong and right base on what His word is. I've got gay friends now and have lost one to aids back in the 90's. But I believe they're wrong in what they're doing. Have to treat everyone on equal ground.

No I'm not judging anyone but I believe what God says. That's His job in the end. But I do believe in wrong and right base on what His word is. I've got gay friends now and have lost one to aids back in the 90's. But I believe they're wrong in what they're doing. Have to treat everyone on equal ground.
Where did God say being gay was wrong? Jesus never mentioned homosexuality. We all know the Old Testament is null and void.

Where did God say being gay was wrong? Jesus never mentioned homosexuality. We all know the Old Testament is null and void.
No the old testament still matters as much as the new. Except the new testament we are under Grace cause of Jesus. I'm NO Bible scholar but I can assure my Pastor can tell you the answer to about any question you have. But some is unexplainable in my opinion just have to have Faith and know the answer when you get to Heaven.

Orangelvis - What is it with you guys when it comes to quoting articles from other sites? You cut and pasted this from AnswersInGenesis.com (link) and an article by Dr. Elizabeth Mitchell called Homosexuality Remains Sinful Choice. The whole quote is from her article - first part is a direct quote from the study and the second part is editorializing.

The quoted section in your post is misleading because you cite the study at the start but give no attribution to Mitchell nor her article when you transition to her writing. The way you wrote your post the reader is left with the impression that the author of the study, W.Rice, is concluding that there is no genetic change has ever been found. In fact, his study claims that homosexuality might be biological evolution.

As for Dr. Elizabeth Mitchell, a direct quote from her (bio) on the website states “operates under the conviction that accurate history never violates biblical history, that correct scientific understanding of our past will never contradict God’s eyewitness account in the Bible, and that genuine understanding of God’s Word builds faith in Jesus Christ.”

This means she rejects any scientific evidence that contradicts her religious beliefs and her literal interpretation of the scriptures of her religion. SO basically, when evidence and religious dogma conflict, she denies evidence in order to uphold her religious beliefs. So naturally (or is it biblically in her case?), she finds fault in a study that claims biological evolution might be a factor in determining homosexuality. She literally must adhere to Romans 1:24–32.

Ironically, I will end this post by citing the same article by Dr. Mitchell (link) with this quote - `...misleading headlines are irresponsible ways of deliberately deceiving and manipulating busy people who often glean their news from a glance at the headlines.`

Reactions: iceheart08
Actually, I know personally of 5 separate instances myself of hetero to homo and one instance of hetro to homo and back to hetero again. Went to church with a couple years ago who were about the same age as my wife and I. They had 4 kids, all girls, and we had 5 kids, so we had a lot in common and became friends outside of church. After 3-4 years this couple had marital problems. The wife moved out and soon was living with another woman in a lesbian relationship. The husband was devastated as you might expect. This happened 15 years ago and recently another mutual friend showed me this same husband's facebook posting and this guy was in a picture hugging another guy and saying they were about to move to Atlanta.

Another instance was about 10 years ago, I was a partner in a business that utilized office space in a place called "The Point" of off Woodruff rd in Greenville. One these places where small business can rent office space, cubicles, and secretarial services, etc. One of employees told me there was a new tenant moving into the office next to mine. She was a georgious 25 year old and had a small daughter, about 4 years old. After meeting her, my employee told me this young woman was gay and was engaged to some butch. One of the Greenville monthly publications actually did an article on these two love birds, complete with pictures of my business neighbor in a wedding gown and the butch wearing a tux. Within a year this young woman had kicked butch out the house and was dating a young man who also had an office the point.
Some folks will **** whatever is handy at the moment.

Reactions: BigCat123
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT