ADVERTISEMENT

It is a beautiful day in South Carolina.

Now This Is The Absolute Funniest Comment In The History Of Thread! Test your theory - Go into any predominantely Black Community In SC or Any state in the U.S. with that Flag & conduct your survey - then post your result! & I pray for your safety!
I have a lot of black friends and work with a lot that I consider friends. We have discussed it a lot. I've only had one tell me that it offended them. Most didn't care one way or the other. Most are not out there trying to stir up crap like everyone on tv the news interviews and the news themselves. Oh and some idiots on here.

I don't know which media you read but there are plenty of people and media personalities who think Catholics are bigots given official Church views on homosexuality. But the beauty of the Church is reliance on your own conscience for many matters. I happen to disagree with my Church's teaching on homosexual relationships. Most Catholics I know do too. Call me less-Catholic if you want to; I'm comfortable with my decision and you will never hear anti-gay preaching at my parish anyway.

Besides, I'm not aware of anyone calling for the removal of all things Southern and that is the comparison you were aiming for.

A post above mentions this as an example:
To follow the trend, Memphis city council is motioning to remove Nathaniel Bedford Forrest and his wife's remains from their resting place underneath his monument in a public park: Anti-Confederate Hysteria

It is just the beginning. They want to start digging people out of the ground! Already there are calls to remove confederate monuments all over the country whether they have the flag or not. You can no longer buy anything with Confederate flag on it through any major retailer, yet Nazi flags, and images of brutal dictators responsible for murdering tens or hundreds of thousands of people are ok. Explain the logic behind this thinking?

My point was that the majority view according to a CNN poll - which if anything would be more liberal, indicates that most people DO NOT feel the flag represents hate/racism, yet still there was a huge push by the media to have it removed because a minority of people are offended by it. The NCAA refused to hold non-merit based events at universities in SC. Why not the same treatment for Catholic institutions(like ND). Most of the negative media coverage I see toward religious organizations is directed at the protestant side of the equation.

I agree that you should be guided by your conscience in all matters - in particular religious matters. As far as religion goes, that is why there are different denominations of churches. Your statement that you can just decide whether or not homosexuality is a sin has absolutely no basis in Catholic theology. The fact that a large portion of people who claim to be Catholic simply ignore or openly defy this belief does not change the facts. The FACT is that homosexuality is a sin if you are a Catholic. It's not like disagreeing with how many Hail Marys you should have to say for wishing your co-worker would fall down the steps.

Once it was a sin to believe the earth revolves around the sun. You worry about your beliefs and I will concern myself with my own. And just for the record, no one in the Catholic Church equates "homosexuality" with sin.

I have a lot of black friends and work with a lot that I consider friends. We have discussed it a lot. I've only had one tell me that it offended them. Most didn't care one way or the other. Most are not out there trying to stir up crap like everyone on tv the news interviews and the news themselves. Oh and some idiots on here.
I love it when someone like you have a lot of Black Friends! & as far as I am concerned & from what has been shown in various arenas, especially after the death of the people in Charleston, The Govenor lead this charge to remove this divisive symbol because many finally realize how this has adversely affected so many people from various racial & socio economic groups! Again, many have legitimate concerns & because they are different than yours try emphasizing because many idiots have fought for you to have the rights you have. It is called America.

Really. To do so would be condemning a man or woman for how he was born. When asked about whether the Catholic Church should permit gay priests, the Pope himself answered, "Who am I to judge?"
Is that not a catholic website saying to avoid sin such as homosexual actions? Looks like it to me.

Yeah...most Prius drivers are more interested in killing babies, telling us about how they ran a half marathan and how we evolved from a fish.

Do you find morans or marathan runners more upsetting?

Hold on, you guys aren't trolling with these comments? You actually believe the intent of removing the flag was to fix these problems? Goodness...

The intent wasn't to fix racism or gun violence. It was to simply remove a symbol that was offensive to many people, a symbol that wasn't even representative of SC in the civil war, a symbol that was originally put on the state house as a direct middle finger to civil rights and a symbol that made our wonderful state look backward, sophomoric and quite frankly, redneck.

Some of you guys need to broaden your perspective. To steele's point above, the flag literally did nothing positive for our state. I don't agree with the broader reach of this discussion - like taking all of the civil war flags off of Fort Sumter (none being the battle flag in question) - but the issue at the state house was as clear cut as it could possibly be.

To read some of the comments about the flag - both here and other places - you would think that the removal would magically make everything perfect here. Of course, we all know that's bull.

Actually, whether it was right or wrong is irrelevant to why it came down. Let's be real here. It came down to get votes for Nikki Haley in the election for Lindsey Graham's senate seat, and Lindsey Graham votes in the Republican primary.

Nikki Haley has done a lot of good things for this state, but make no mistake - she will do anything to get what she wants - and I do mean anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT