ADVERTISEMENT

Should Confederate Flag Be Removed?

Should Confederate Flag Be Removed?

• Yes

Votes: 170 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 62 26.7%

• Total voters
If you agree to remove it or not the state schools are losing money because of it. If I worked for Clemson or carolina I would have to vote yes to remove it due to the inability to have conference, regional and national tournaments. Thats a lot of lost revenue the state schools need to compete.

Yes. It's a flag whose erection at the capitol was to be a symbol of protest against racial equality. I'm fine for those who want to recognize their southern heritage; but this flag is not an idol of that purpose. Take it down.

Reactions: wallaceb
Taking the flag down does not solve our obvious racial issues. I think the only reason for taking it down by government officials now is just an economical reason. I don't care if it goes or stays. I'm still a proud southern man without a flag. The issue is not the flag however. I posted this in another thread about the flag. Taking the flag away, doesn't take away what's already embedded in the mind. Right or wrong, the flag no longer being in existence would never stop hatred. It's sin and a man made symbol don't contribute to it. Blacks will always feel the struggles of equality. Not because of some damn flag or war, but because of sin and history. The past is the one thing you can't run from regardless of how much you try to get rid of to forget it. Same with anyone. An alcoholic will not stop thinking about drinking if he stops watching beer commercials. The racists white people will not stop thinking about hatred attacks on blacks because a flag no longer flies, neither will the blacks stop thinking about their equality in America just because a flag doesn't fly.

Reactions: emajor2
Yes. It's a flag whose erection at the capitol was to be a symbol of protest against racial equality. I'm fine for those who want to recognize their southern heritage; but this flag is not an idol of that purpose. Take it down.

It was to affirm states rights. The same thing that was fought for 100 years before. And the same thing that has completely disappeared in the last few years.

It was to affirm states rights. The same thing that was fought for 100 years before. And the same thing that has completely disappeared in the last few years.

This doesn't fly man. Even if you buy that argument the state was fighting for it's right to continue to discriminate against another race of human beings.

Perception = reality.
images

Reactions: SDTiger9
Regardless of what positive reasons for keeping the flag on memorials, there is no
denying that the flag as a symbol has been co-opted by hate groups and it has
become synonymous with groups with whom no reasonable person would want to
be associated. it is now time for it to go.

Sure. In the purest context, it was to affirm the state's right to racially segregate and discriminate. Your argument is akin to claiming the ISIL banner is a banner of islam, and isn't associated with the brutal murder of thousands.

Regardless of what positive reasons for keeping the flag on memorials, there is no
denying that the flag as a symbol has been co-opted by hate groups and it has
become synonymous with groups with whom no reasonable person would want to
be associated. it is now time for it to go.

Both sides need to put this in the past..it needs to go at this point.

Perception = reality.
images

For the impassioned supporters, I'm sorry you've lost your symbol of heritage. I really do. Unfortunately this is what the majority of the WORLD thinks. And I know your response, I don't care what the world thinks. That's fine but what about the impassioned supporters who no longer want to be associated with what has become a poor symbol. Same team, on your side, support the cause but need a new symbol.

Put your energy around something great. Something truly special, something that is clearly supporting the heritage of some great men in our history.

It took 60 years for this country to properly honor those who served in WWII. Take the time now to properly honor those great people from 150 years ago.

Simple question.
Former reenacter,SCV, ect. I'm sure my ancestors who were veterans of that terrible war would be ashamed of how the flag has been usurped in the name of racist hate. I quit the Confederate memorial parade 10 yrs. ago because the Fascist league of the south speakers made a mockery of the dead by turning a soldiers memorial into a Nuremberg type rally.

To supporters of retaining the flag at the Capitol, what are the ideals that flag represents to you? Knowing what you know now about life, about human kind, about fairness and equality, would you proudly fight the Union under that banner? And had the South won, would there be racial equality in the Confederate states today to the degree there is now?

Reactions: wallaceb
I know this poll is in the round table now, but the poll about Jack Leggett got almost 10x the votes this one did.

Former reenacter,SCV, ect. I'm sure my ancestors who were veterans of that terrible war would be ashamed of how the flag has been usurped in the name of racist hate. I quit the Confederate memorial parade 10 yrs. ago because the Fascist league of the south speakers made a mockery of the dead by turning a soldiers memorial into a Nuremberg type rally.

I was an SCV member until I just quit going (couldn't get interested in it again after I moved) but never had any use for the League of the South.

SCV is not inherently racist by any means. The League of the South, however...

(That doesn't mean every League of the South member is a racist, though.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT