ADVERTISEMENT

So how did the CBF become a "symbol of racism and hate"?

FreeSC

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Sep 22, 2003
Pendleton, SC
I am posting this article because I find that most people are first, very uneducated on history (even those who have been to college), and two, because most people have a very short attention span and don't really pay that much attention to current events, or even remember them some years later.

I was born in SC in 1960. My family settled here in Orangeburg District in the 1720's, given a grant of land by King George.
Let's just say my roots here run deep.
Because of my age, I still have memories of the civil rights battles in the 1960s and of desegregation. Many on this board don't.
And while many on this board know well the wrongs of segregation and laws which did not offer equal opportunity to blacks, they also don't really know much of the race riots during that time, resulting in injuries to people and private property, which were also wrong.

Thank goodness the Civil Rights laws were passed, segregation ended, and the country moved forward.
For the better part of 25 years, into the 1990s, civil rights were pretty much a thing that were thought of in past tense. The NAACP was off the map, becoming an increasingly meaningless and shrinking organization. The civil rights battles were won. There was nothing left to fight for, and the NAACP was moving into oblivion.

Then, something even worse happened. The president of the NAACP stole millions from the organization, giving it a black eye in the public's perception.

The organization was in crisis. It was on the verge of not even existing. Something had to be done. There had to be something to fight for. An enemy was needed. Something to give the organization credence, to raise membership, and most importantly, to raise money.

At a national organization meeting, the idea was proposed to begin an assault on the Confederate Battle Flag. No, this battle wouldn't do a single thing to help the black population. But it WOULD raise awareness of the organization; it would play on white guilt, which was fed by decades of teaching from history books written in the north. And occassionally, the northern-based Klan would use it, and that could be used as proof that the flag and racism are linked.

Just pay no attention to the fact that the Klan's tiny organization is based in the north, that most of it's members are in the north, and that it is the US flag, NOT the CBF, that is on their webpage and is officially at their meetings. The liberal media loves controversy, hates the South, and will feed this frenzy.

And they did.

As the issue escalated in the late 1990s and early 2000s, at first, there was a feeling of disbelief among most of the public. What is this going to do to help blacks, who experience higher dropout rates in school, much higher rates of birth outside of marriage, and poverty? Nothing, of course. Why would the NAACP pursue an issue that does absolutely NOTHING to help a black community that so desperately needs help?

Money, of course.

Because of the ridiculousness of it all, and because I do know my history better than 98% of the general populous, an because I was very politically active, I became involved in the fight to keep the flag on the dome.

The bias of the media at events was CLEARLY obvious. They would go OUT OF THEIR WAY at flag rallies to pick out the most redneck looking guy in the crowd and put his face on TV. College professors and professionals wearing suits were avoided at all costs. Those who spoke clearly and intelligently on the history of the war and who denigrated the racist Klan were never, ever shown.

I talked to more than one member of the press. It was very clear that they had an agenda, and they were going to go out of their way to achieve their ends.

Now, there will be those who read this who still say " that guy is a racist", and I have had one person call me that on this board.

If that is what you believe, you don't know me at all. I go to THE most culturally mixed church in the upstate, and the woman I plan to marry has two adopted mixed race kids.

You know, the evil Adolf Hitler is credited with saying that if you tell a lie often enough, the lie will become the truth. It's call brainwashing.

Turns out, he was right.

Reactions: tygerfan28
I am posting this article because I find that most people are first, very uneducated on history (even those who have been to college), and two, because most people have a very short attention span and don't really pay that much attention to current events, or even remember them some years later.

I was born in SC in 1960. My family settled here in Orangeburg District in the 1720's, given a grant of land by King George.
Because of my age, I still have memories of the civil rights battles in the 1960s and of desegregation. Many on this board don't.
And while many on this board know well the wrongs of segregation and laws which did not offer equal opportunity to blacks, they also don't really know much of the race riots during that time, resulting in injuries to people and private property, which were also wrong.

Thank goodness the Civil Rights laws were passed, segregation ended, and the country moved forward.
For the better part of 25 years, into the 1990s, civil rights were pretty much a thing that were thought of in past tense. The NAACP was off the map, becoming an increasingly meaningless and shrinking organization. The civil rights battles were won. There was nothing left to fight for, and the NAACP was moving into oblivion.

Then, something even worse happened. The president of the NAACP stole millions from the organization, giving it a black eye in the public's perception.

The organization was in crisis. It was on the verge of not even existing. Something had to be done. There had to be something to fight for. An enemy was needed. Something to give the organization credence, to raise membership, and most importantly, to raise money.

At a national organization meeting, the idea was proposed to begin an assault on the Confederate Battle Flag. No, this battle wouldn't do a single thing to help the black population. But it WOULD raise awareness of the organization; it would play on white guilt, which was fed by decades of teaching from history books written in the north. And occassionally, the northern-based Klan would use it, and that could be used as proof that the flag and racism are linked.

Just pay no attention to the fact that the Klan's tiny organization is based in the north, that most of it's members are in the north, and that it is the US flag, NOT the CBF, that is on their webpage and is officially at their meetings. The liberal media loves controversy, hates the South, and will feed this frenzy.

And they did.

As the issue escalated in the late 1990s and early 2000s, at first, there was a feeling of disbelief among most of the public. What is this going to do to help blacks, who experience higher dropout rates in school, much higher rates of birth outside of marriage, and poverty? Nothing, of course. Why would the NAACP pursue an issue that does absolutely NOTHING to help a black community that so desperately needs help?

Money, of course.

Because of the ridiculousness of it all, and because I do know my history better than 98% of the general populous, an because I was very politically active, I became involved in the fight to keep the flag on the dome.

The bias of the media at events was CLEARLY obvious. They would go OUT OF THEIR WAY at flag rallies to pick out the most redneck looking guy in the crowd and put his face on TV. College professors and professionals wearing suits were avoided at all costs. Those who spoke clearly and intelligently on the history of the war and who denigrated the racist Klan were never, ever shown.

I talked to more than one member of the press. It was very clear that they had an agenda, and they were going to go out of their way to achieve their ends.

Now, there will be those who read this who still say " that guy is a racist", and I have had one person call me that on this board.

If that is what you believe, you don't know me at all. I go to THE most culturally mixed church in the upstate, and the woman I plan to marry has two adopted mixed race kids.

You know, the evil Adolf Hitler is credited with saying that if you tell a lie often enough, the lie will become the truth. It's call brainwashing.

Turns out, he was right.
The truth based on facts loses. Political Correctness and "enlightenment" win. Nothing you can say or do wins against PC. F E A R is their weapon....F E A R to speak, .F E A R to voice or even have an opinion, .F E A R to speak the truth, .F E A R to have a civil conversation. It's in past that in this country...and the world for that matter. There will come that day...sooner than later...when the agenda that's been laid out, patiently implemented and fueled comes to fruition. Their agenda screams never....LOUDLY... LOUDEST...so no one else can be heard. Fact and truth...never let them get in the way of helping your fellow man. It's a losing bet. Best just take care of yourself and family for the long term. I guess the question you have to ask yourself...when those that have spit in your face and called you the vilest of names comes to you to ask for your help....do you? That's when He will test you.

Reactions: Orange Valley

And they did.

Money, of course.

Turns out, he was right.

Since you want to study history so much, go read the quotes and speeches made by the legislators when they made the decision to put the confederate flag on the state house in early 60's. Those speeches reveal everything we need to know about their motivations and why the flag needs to go. The flag was hijacked a long time ago and needs to be put away

Reactions: emajor2
None of what you say means that there is a legitimate reason to fly the flag. None of what you say diminishes the fact that it was raised as the civil rights movement was starting and kept up during it and during desegregation as an act of defiance.

Just conveniently leaves out the period the of desegregation in the 50s/60s when southern states including South Carolina used the Confederate Battle Flag as a symbol of desegregation and blames everything on the blacks, the media and the north.

Yet to hear one reason why we should fly or want to fly that flag. I hear all this slippery slope anti-government fear mongering crap, but not one solid reason as to why flying the flag is the right thing to do.

And pretending the flag means the same thing now (or since 1962) as it did in the 1860s is retarded.

The flag was hijacked by privalaged whites in the 50s and 60s to spit in the eye of Civil Rights...and has been hijacked by ignorant racists over the last 50 years...

I just can't figure out exactly which group some you all belong in.

Blah blah blah... The flag was never meant to be a symbol of hate and every last one of you know it! This is only an issue because of pity. Why is it that my other ancestors aren't whining about this? Hell the white man took our land and treated the red man like cattle. But you don't see native americans acting like some in the black community. They call it PRIDE! Take pride in your people and don't let the viciousness that happened all those years ago breed into this generation by talking it up every chance you get. For example, when a white man kills a black man... Hate crime he was racist! When a black man kills a white man... White guy was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but not every dang time a crime happens is it a racist hate crime. And by the way... Yeah I'm a Police Officer.

Blah blah blah... The flag was never meant to be a symbol of hate and every last one of you know it! This is only an issue because of pity. Why is it that my other ancestors aren't whining about this? Hell the white man took our land and treated the red man like cattle. But you don't see native americans acting like some in the black community. They call it PRIDE! Take pride in your people and don't let the viciousness that happened all those years ago breed into this generation by talking it up every chance you get. For example, when a white man kills a black man... Hate crime he was racist! When a black man kills a white man... White guy was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but not every dang time a crime happens is it a racist hate crime. And by the way... Yeah I'm a Police Officer.

No worries...it's clear which group you belong in.

Since you want to study history so much, go read the quotes and speeches made by the legislators when they made the decision to put the confederate flag on the state house in early 60's. Those speeches reveal everything we need to know about their motivations and why the flag needs to go. The flag was hijacked a long time ago and needs to be put away
I know why it was originally put up there. But I support desegregation and civil rights.
Moving a historic flag properly placed at a histic monument does nothing to help anyone.
And if the flag was "hijacted" as you say, isn't the US flag even MORE hijacked according to your own standards? Have you actually checked out the Klan's website? The US flag is prominently displayed, but the CBF is...nowhere to be found.

But then facts don't really matter, do they? It's about what you've been told. Just like much of the history you believe.

Reactions: tigerGUY
Just conveniently leaves out the period the of desegregation in the 50s/60s when southern states including South Carolina used the Confederate Battle Flag as a symbol of desegregation and blames everything on the blacks, the media and the north.

I still blame a lot on the media and the north. Not so much the blacks.

The flag didn't kill people, it didn't stand for hate when in battle. People do understand that.....

But its offensive to a segment of our population, and we are sensitive to that. Even if it wasn't meant as a repressive symbol, it is the equivalent (in their minds) of displaying a swastika to a Jewish person. It speaks of an era, a time that while not evil, had oppressive issues associated with it.

If you want the acknowledgement from others that the flag is not evil, fine you got it. However, I'm southern, we have good manners, we are neighborly, and my neighbors don't like it. I take it down.

Respect it, understand it, but put it in the past; move on and accept that progress, is a timeless goal.

I don't think the vast majority think that the flag flying at the state grounds has anything to do with the murder.

I don't think the vast majority of people think the flag is considered a symbol of hate due to the Civil War. The flag was basically not seen at all for almost 80 years after the Civil War until it started popping up frequently at DixieCrat events and at campaign rallies for Strom Thurman during the 1948 election. It use became synonymous with segregation at that time through the 60s. The KKK using it only further perverted the flag from its original purpose during the Civil War.

Now there is really no legit reason to fly it. The state only losses business from flying it. Sure removing it isn't going to make any real change to the black community nor is it going to prevent another tragedy, but those are not reasons to keep it.

Last edited:
I don't think the vast majority think that the flag flying at the state grounds has anything to do with the murder.

I don't think the vast majority of people think the flag is considered a symbol of hate due to the Civil War. The flag was basically not seen at all for almost 80 years after the Civil War until is started popping up frequently at DixieCrat events and on at campaign rallied for Strom Thurman during the 1948 election. It use became synonymous with segregation at that time through the 60s. The KKK using it only further perverted the flag from its original purpose during the Civil War.

Now there is really no legit reason to fly it. The state only losses business from flying it. Sure removing it isn't going to make any real change to the black community nor is it going to prevent another tragedy, but those are not reasons to keep it.

That pretty much nailed it.

I know why it was originally put up there. But I support desegregation and civil rights.
Moving a historic flag properly placed at a histic monument does nothing to help anyone.
And if the flag was "hijacted" as you say, isn't the US flag even MORE hijacked according to your own standards? Have you actually checked out the Klan's website? The US flag is prominently displayed, but the CBF is...nowhere to be found.

But then facts don't really matter, do they? It's about what you've been told. Just like much of the history you believe.

It's way past time to drop the arrogant, "I am the only one that knows history" attitude. I gave you the facts that we all know why the flag was raised back in the 60's. Blacks certainly know why it was raised and it is very offensive to them and for good reason. I could care less what is on the Klan's website right now and that has nothing to do with this discussion. Everyone knows that removing the flag isn't going to "fix" any specific issues to blacks but it is going to remove a very offensive flag from our statehouse. I could care less, if the flag was going to fly at a confederate war memorial, but that memorial should not be located at the front steps of the statehouse.

If you were going to invite a black family over to dinner at your house, would you go and put a confederate flag on your front porch to welcome them?

Our state is not being forced for the flag to be removed by a NAACP boycott, that boycott was mostly ignored for 15 years. In fact one of the main reasons that this is coming to a head right now is this is being heavily supported by whites because of the response of grace and forgiveness in Charleston. We should be showing that same grace to everyone in our state and remove items that are very offensive for good reason to a significant population in our state

And they did.

Money, of course.

Turns out, he was right.

TIL that segregation, jim crow, slavery, and systematic oppression of a racial group based on the mistaken belief that racial group is inferior to others is equivalent to riots re: that systematic oppression. i appreciate the history lesson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT