ADVERTISEMENT

Another big win for workers

Do any of you actually have any work experience interacting with unions, or union workers?

In my limited experience, laziness is part of the code.
Yes. I was tryng to move my own telephone equipment one time, and i was told that only union labor was allowed to move the equipment.
Something i could have done for free in 15 minutes, i had to pay someone $300-400 bucks and wait 2 days to have it done. It was Chicago though, to be expected.

Found a way to make more money that they “don’t deserve.” Sounds like they’re good capitalists to me.
Capitalism also says that business will fail in the long term.

Paying people what they don't deserve is not a long term strategy. It's a short term sugar-fix

Sound to me as if some who are undeserving are riding the tails of others who might have earned it.

Communismish?
Communism requires that the members of the community all equally contribute to the best of their individual ability, which you’re saying isn’t happening here.

Being able to profit off of the back of someone else’s work is uniquely capitalist.

Look at the DIS stock price and get back to us.
Disney stock is up at market open today. Not sure if that’s particularly relevant to the 17,000 workers that got a raise. Article didn’t mention whether they get stock options or not.

Communism requires that the members of the community all equally contribute to the best of their individual ability, which you’re saying isn’t happening here.

Being able to profit off of the back of someone else’s work is uniquely capitalist.
That’s not the reality of communism.

In regards to capitalism, those who take the risks, reap the rewards. If you’re a good owner/boss, you always take care of those who work hard for your company. That’s the best situation.

That’s not the reality of communism.

In regards to capitalism, those who take the risks, reap the rewards. If you’re a good owner/boss, you always take care of those who work hard for your company. That’s the best situation.
And that’s not the reality of capitalism.

Anyway, no matter which way you slice it 17,000 people just got an immediate wage increase, not unlike many thousands of other unionized employees over the last year.

And that’s not the reality of capitalism.

Anyway, no matter which way you slice it 17,000 people just got an immediate wage increase, not unlike many thousands of other unionized employees over the last year.
Again, I’m always happy for anyone else’s success, who has worked hard for and earned it.

That version of capitalism is what I live by in my world. That’s how I see it.

Again, I’m always happy for anyone else’s success, who has worked hard for and earned it.

That version of capitalism is what I live by in my world. That’s how I see it.
The outcome of this union negotiation shows that’s not really how it works. If Disney is giving an immediate $5 raise that means that they could have already been paying that wage. Likely, they could have easily been giving regular wage increases over the years, but they didn’t until the workers threatened to strike.

Your version of capitalism works at the small business level, but most Americans are employed by massive corporations who only see workers as numbers and have no idea who “works hard” or “earns it” and so they just pay as little as they can get away with.

The outcome of this union negotiation shows that’s not really how it works. If Disney is giving an immediate $5 raise that means that they could have already been paying that wage. Likely, they could have easily been giving regular wage increases over the years, but they didn’t until the workers threatened to strike.

Your version of capitalism works at the small business level, but most Americans are employed by massive corporations who only see workers as numbers and have no idea who “works hard” or “earns it” and so they just pay as little as they can get away with.
I’ll agree with you in regards to Disney needing to pay fairly, and them having plenty of success to do so.

As an individual, I would never count on others to fight for what I believe I’ve earned. That’s just me. I do realize very few are built that way.

I’ll agree with you in regards to Disney needing to pay fairly, and them having plenty of success to do so.

As an individual, I would never count on others to fight for what I believe I’ve earned. That’s just me. I do realize very few are built that way.
That’s just not really possible when you’re working for a mega corporation. You’re one of 225,000 total employees. In a small business you can walk into the office of the owner or person who actually decides your pay and make a case for yourself. The average Disney employee will never, ever look into the eyes of the people who actually have direct control over their wages.

Its not about being “built that way” its about the reality of the situation that employees are in, and if those individuals didn’t have others fighting for them, they’d still be getting paid whatever Disney wanted to pay them.

Saying very few are “built that way” is such a weird statement. You’re not as unique/special as you think you are.

That’s just not really possible when you’re working for a mega corporation. You’re one of 225,000 total employees. In a small business you can walk into the office of the owner or person who actually decides your pay and make a case for yourself. The average Disney employee will never, ever look into the eyes of the people who actually have direct control over their wages.

Its not about being “built that way” its about the reality of the situation that employees are in, and if those individuals didn’t have others fighting for them, they’d still be getting paid whatever Disney wanted to pay them.

Saying very few are “built that way” is such a weird statement. You’re not as unique/special as you think you are.
very weird, I agree.

My success puts me in the > top 1%.

I’d call that unique.

Disney stock is up at market open today. Not sure if that’s particularly relevant to the 17,000 workers that got a raise. Article didn’t mention whether they get stock options or not.
Over the last 5 years Disney stock is down 35% and the S&P 500 is up 90%. That is an underperformance of 125%.

Over the past year alone they are underperforming by a whopping 13%.

I don't think i would cite anything they are doing as evidence of success.

Over the last 5 years Disney stock is down 35% and the S&P 500 is up 90%. That is an underperformance of 125%.

So Disney’s stock is down and these employee’s wages are up? Sounds like another win for unionization.

This is probably all 100% correct.

So Disney’s stock is down and these employee’s wages are up? Sounds like another win for unionization.
If you think the destruction of the corporation is a win, then yes you could take that as a win.

But anyone with a brain would acknowledge that when a company is destroyed the jobs and pay go with it. DIS cut 3.2% of their workforce in 2023, a destruction of 30,000 jobs. We will have to wait and see how the latest changes affect DIS. My guess is that they cut more workforce. Look no further than ESPN. They went woke and they had to cut talent.

Its the same thing with the $20/hour minimum wage democrats want. Thats fine, just don't complain when you are paying $20 for some chicken fingers at your local bar.

There has to be a balance between the unions and the free market, it wouldn't be good in an extreme either way.

If you think the destruction of the corporation is a win, then yes you could take that as a win.

But anyone with a brain would acknowledge that when a company is destroyed the jobs and pay go with it. DIS cut 3.2% of their workforce in 2023, a destruction of 30,000 jobs. We will have to wait and see how the latest changes affect DIS. My guess is that they cut more workforce. Look no further than ESPN. They went woke and they had to cut talent.

Its the same thing with the $20/hour minimum wage democrats want. Thats fine, just don't complain when you are paying $20 for some chicken fingers at your local bar.

There has to be a balance between the unions and the free market, it wouldn't be good in an extreme either way.
Not seeing 30,000 jobs - seeing they cut 7,000. You know what those 7,000 all had in common? They weren’t unionized.

And those jobs were part of their media division, the employees that work in their parks - like the ones who just got this awesome raise - weren’t impacted.

Reactions: okclem
No need, just the facts. Enjoy your day. It’s a gift.

Thanks be to God.
Imagine pretending to live by Christian principles while simultaneously bragging to strangers on the internet about how much money you have lol.

The meek shall inherit the earth, my brother in Christ.

Reactions: okclem
Imagine pretending to live by Christian principles while simultaneously bragging to strangers on the internet about how much money you have lol.

I think it's "the self-proclaimed elite will inherit everything, for they are better than all of you."

I’m stating facts, nothing more.

I’m giving thanks to God for his blessings in my life. I can’t change your interpretation of that. That’s on you.

I’m stating facts, nothing more.

I’m giving thanks to God for his blessings in my life. I can’t change your interpretation of that. That’s on you.
What blessings? I thought you earned your succss on your own by being “built that way?”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT