ADVERTISEMENT

***Bart Boatwright

Larry_Williams

Senior Writer - Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
Oct 28, 2008
Basement
All the photography equipment he used was property of The Greenville News, which fired him earlier this week.

Marc Dopher, former Upstate TV personality, has put together a very worthy cause: A GoFundMe account to help Bart get back on his feet and purchase some equipment so he can keep doing what he does best.

If you are interested in supporting him click here.

Thank you!

$40,000 goal for camera

9-DD85-CE2-038-B-4608-8868-EA635154-DFE2.png

I’m still gonna contribute and help Bart out...but damn son...camera equipment is spensive!

I might be in the minority here simply because of who the guy is but...GoFundMe’s are for people who have fallen on extremely dire times, are dying, or family of someone who died. This may sound bad but...dude just got let go from a job. I’m sure he’ll find another one. And $40k?!

I might be in the minority here simply because of who the guy is but...GoFundMe’s are for people who have fallen on extremely dire times, are dying, or family of someone who died. This may sound bad but...dude just got let go from a job. I’m sure he’ll find another one. And $40k?!

"Most people use GoFundMe to raise money for themselves, a loved one, or a friend in need during life's most important moments. This can include anything from medical expenses, education costs, trips & aspirations, volunteer programs, youth sports, funerals & memorials, or animals & pets."

I would think getting fired after 29 years would certainly be considered a legitimate reason for a gofundme page, based on the above statement...

Look I’m all for helping people and I hate he was let go due to the failing newspaper business. Writers / photographers in this field have had their share of hard times lately in an evolving industry but holy crap, 40k and a go fund me? If i was let go tomorrow I certainly wouldn’t have that option nor want it. He was employed for 29 years. Hope he has enough to figure out what is next. If not, that is on him

Look I’m all for helping people and I hate he was let go due to the failing newspaper business. Writers / photographers in this field have had their share of hard times lately in an evolving industry but holy crap, 40k and a go fund me? If i was let go tomorrow I certainly wouldn’t have that option nor want it. He was employed for 29 years. Hope he has enough to figure out what is next. If not, that is on him
You would be taking your skill set with you. Seeing as how his skill set requires $40k equipment, he can’t just take his talents elsewhere

Reactions: Orange 77

Why even post this? Just don't give and justify it to yourself.

Meh.

"Most people use GoFundMe to raise money for themselves, a loved one, or a friend in need during life's most important moments. This can include anything from medical expenses, education costs, trips & aspirations, volunteer programs, youth sports, funerals & memorials, or animals & pets."

I would think getting fired after 29 years would certainly be considered a legitimate reason for a gofundme page, based on the above statement...
So anyone who gets fired is cool to start a GoFundMe? Noted.

All the photography equipment he used was property of The Greenville News, which fired him earlier this week.

Marc Dopher, former Upstate TV personality, has put together a very worthy cause: A GoFundMe account to help Bart get back on his feet and purchase some equipment so he can keep doing what he does best.

If you are interested in supporting him click here.

Thank you!

Why did they fire him?

So anyone who gets fired is cool to start a GoFundMe? Noted.

Not everything in life is black and white, man.
Aside from the fact that there isn't a gofund me handbook with rules dictacting what constitutes an appropriate use of gofundme, there is something to be said for kindness.

Nobody is responsible or expecting people to help others when they fall on hard times, but if his friends and colleagues are close to him enough such that they want to setup a gofund for him, who are you or anyone else to say it isn't appropriate? If anything, the guy seems to have made an incredibly positive impact on the people who interacted with him given the incredible show of support displayed by people in his line of work, whether they were direct colleagues or not.

Can TI get him as a part time photographer??
@Lowspark84, good evening. We don't have any additional opportunities at this time. But I'd certainly put my name on any correspondence Bart sends out to gain employment. His material speaks for itself. He'll be a real asset somewhere. I'm sure of it.

People set up GoFundMe accounts for all kinds of things but most people only donate to truly legitimate ones.

You have to decide what is legitimate.

He didn’t get let go. He got fired for a bs reason.

I’m fine with this as a gofundme. Dude got fired for essentially nothing and has spent his career in a field that requires pretty expensive equipment, which he no longer has access to. Guy has people who care about him and think he got the shit end of the stick and want to help give him a chance to get back on his feet.

Now there was a guy in Walterboro a few months back who received some admittedly awful customer service at a gas station, where he was asked to leave because of a deformity on his face (nose removed due to cancer). A gofundme was started for him. That one I can’t support. The guy deserves money because someone was mean to him? I don’t buy that. His livelihood was not damaged the way Bart’s was.

Reactions: WilliamsonRoadMafia
I bet Clemson’s creative services department has plenty of cameras Bart can use. The powers that be within Clemson Football should hire him.

You certainly WOULD have the option.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT