ADVERTISEMENT

***Bart Boatwright

Larry wrote it up yesterday in much more detail but essentially Bart took his adult son to the natty with him to help film, son took some video with his iPhone which Bart then used as his own and they fired him for plagiarism.

Hmmmmmm....i will have to read up on that. That seems like an out the used for another reason. Unless the leadership is that incompetent.

Reactions: OakCrest11
I hope he gets back on his feet soon and lands a stellar job. Do most newspapers have their own camera equipment or does the photographer typically provide their own?

So anyone who gets fired is cool to start a GoFundMe? Noted.

I really don’t get the issue here lol. I’m not supplying money to the guy, I’m also in between jobs and not looking for a handout, but I’m also not gonna get worked up about people requesting money, especially if it’s for a good or copacetic cause.

Reactions: hallmans
I really don’t get the issue here lol. I’m not supplying money to the guy, I’m also in between jobs and not looking for a handout, but I’m also not gonna get worked up about people requesting money, especially if it’s for a good or copacetic cause.

Dude, you don't wanna give the guy a $50k camera because he was a nice guy?

What's wrong with you milllennials!???

Dude, you don't wanna give the guy a $50k camera because he was a nice guy?

What's wrong with you milllennials!???

Millennial? :eek: Not even close. Also, did you miss the part where I said I wasn’t giving him money?

I just don’t understand all you people getting so worked up by it though.

Also, I believe it’s $40k.

Reactions: SaltyMeatBallsOO
Millennial? :eek: Not even close. Also, did you miss the part where I said I wasn’t giving him money?

I just don’t understand all you people getting so worked up by it though.

Also, I believe it’s $40k.

I was kidding man! I ain't giving chit!

giphy.gif

Reactions: Overwatch
I’m fine with this as a gofundme. Dude got fired for essentially nothing and has spent his career in a field that requires pretty expensive equipment, which he no longer has access to. Guy has people who care about him and think he got the shit end of the stick and want to help give him a chance to get back on his feet.

Now there was a guy in Walterboro a few months back who received some admittedly awful customer service at a gas station, where he was asked to leave because of a deformity on his face (nose removed due to cancer). A gofundme was started for him. That one I can’t support. The guy deserves money because someone was mean to him? I don’t buy that. His livelihood was not damaged the way Bart’s was.

People are fired /let go for BS reasons all the time. I hate it for the guy and it really has nothing to do with him at all. Let’s say I have a company car and am let go. I can either choose to purchase a vehicle or find another employer that will provide a company vehicle. Same deal as his equipment needs.

People are fired /let go for BS reasons all the time. I hate it for the guy and it really has nothing to do with him at all. Let’s say I have a company car and am let go. I can either choose to purchase a vehicle or find another employer that will provide a company vehicle. Same deal as his equipment needs.

And if you’re well liked you’re friends can start a Gofundme for you. What’s so hard to understand? I mean, the Gofundme stuff is def out of control, but if you don’t agree then don’t give, it’s simple.

Why does this bother you so much?

Reactions: Orange 77
Hmmmmmm....i will have to read up on that. That seems like an out the used for another reason. Unless the leadership is that incompetent.
Exactly, seems like they would prefer to pay a kid just out of college a fraction of what they pay him and needed a reason to get rid of him

All the photography equipment he used was property of The Greenville News, which fired him earlier this week.

Marc Dopher, former Upstate TV personality, has put together a very worthy cause: A GoFundMe account to help Bart get back on his feet and purchase some equipment so he can keep doing what he does best.

If you are interested in supporting him click here.

Thank you!

@Larry_Williams ...Got your back on this. Wish it could be more.

Reactions: Orange 77
Why does this bother you so much?

I can't speak for @OculusTiger , but Larry cares about it. It was wrong on so many levels. I look at TI as Tiger family board. Sure...we bitch and moan and cuss each other, but that's no different than any other family in today's society. I gave because Larry cares. That and helping a man out when he's just been kicked in the balls is simply the RIGHT thing to do.

I'm retired and on a fixed income. I gave $55(including a $5 tip). I challenge everyone else to help with a donation. @Larry_Williams ....please tell Bart to pay it forward when he's able.

I hope he gets back on his feet soon and lands a stellar job. Do most newspapers have their own camera equipment or does the photographer typically provide their own?

Yea I'd need to know more about the industry before I had an opinion. I also respect Larry's opinion and how much this seems to resonate with him definitely holds weight.

Having said that, I'm leaning towards this GoFundMe being a bit much. Seems he has two options:

1. Get another job where the company provides the equipment for him to do his work

2. Takeout a loan and start contributing to his own independent business as a freelancer

Again, I don't know shit about this industry, but a lot of industries have start-up costs for equipment, licensing, whatever. Starting a GoFundMe for that is a bit absurd IMO.

I can't speak for @OculusTiger , but Larry cares about it. It was wrong on so many levels. I look at TI as Tiger family board. Sure...we bitch and moan and cuss each other, but that's no different than any other family in today's society. I gave because Larry cares. That and helping a man out when he's just been kicked in the balls is simply the RIGHT thing to do.

I'm retired and on a fixed income. I gave $55(including a $5 tip). I challenge everyone else to help with a donation. @Larry_Williams ....please tell Bart to pay it forward when he's able.

God bless you. I gave what I could also. Anyone who does not want to give is fine with me. It is a personal decision. But people who come on here and throw shit on the idea of helping this man out are low life imo. WWDD?

For those questioning his need of $40k or the price of camera equipment. $40k is probably on the low end for what he needs to be honest. My wife does professional photography. She does about 30 weddings a year. She’s about to add one camera to her arsenal. For one camera and one lense, it’s going to cost every bit of $6k. The ONE lense alone will cost $2,200. Now she does weddings and most shots are closer up, so she’ll be getting a 35-70mm lense. For Bart, he shoots from a lot farther away. He needs a big lense, say 200mm. That’ll cost him $4-6k depending on brand ect.

For those questioning his need of $40k or the price of camera equipment. $40k is probably on the low end for what he needs to be honest. My wife does professional photography. She does about 30 weddings a year. She’s about to add one camera to her arsenal. For one camera and one lense, it’s going to cost every bit of $6k. The ONE lense alone will cost $2,200. Now she does weddings and most shots are closer up, so she’ll be getting a 35-70mm lense. For Bart, he shoots from a lot farther away. He needs a big lense, say 200mm. That’ll cost him $4-6k depending on brand ect.
This can't be overstated.

Paul uses a 300mm non-zoom lens I bought back in 2005. Even then that lens was over $3,000.

Yea I'd need to know more about the industry before I had an opinion. I also respect Larry's opinion and how much this seems to resonate with him definitely holds weight.

Having said that, I'm leaning towards this GoFundMe being a bit much. Seems he has two options:

1. Get another job where the company provides the equipment for him to do his work

2. Takeout a loan and start contributing to his own independent business as a freelancer

Again, I don't know shit about this industry, but a lot of industries have start-up costs for equipment, licensing, whatever. Starting a GoFundMe for that is a bit absurd IMO.

Bart didn't set up the GoFundMe. He isn't asking anyone for anything.

A group of his friends decided to raise some money to help him out during the lowest moment of his professional life.

That's absurd?

Maybe start a separate thread saying how you don't like GuFundMe pages. You don't like it. Cool. This thread is for people who want to support him. Thank you.
Any other time this would’ve been moved to The Round Table. Look, I get he’s probably a good guy who got the shaft. That sucks. It’s happened to me before as well when I was let go from a place I was at for 6.5 years. It then took 7 months to land on my feet. I don’t know anything about him or how good he is at his job. If he’s as good as you and others say he is, I’d imagine he lands on his feet elsewhere sooner rather than later. But to be asking for $40k worth of equipment shortly after he was let go is a bit extreme. I get that it’s not him asking, but he certainly isn’t going to say no to it.

If he wants to go out on his own, which it appears is the case the people who started this and are donating to, then it’s a business expense. Write it off during tax season.

Any other time this would’ve been moved to The Round Table. Look, I get he’s probably a good guy who got the shaft. That sucks. It’s happened to me before as well when I was let go from a place I was at for 6.5 years. It then took 7 months to land on my feet. I don’t know anything about him or how good he is at his job. If he’s as good as you and others say he is, I’d imagine he lands on his feet elsewhere sooner rather than later. But to be asking for $40k worth of equipment shortly after he was let go is a bit extreme. I get that it’s not him asking, but he certainly isn’t going to say no to it.

Oh so he should say no to the money?

I would also add: I'm guessing they're not going to come close to the 40K. That's merely listed as a goal.

The most realistic thing is about 5 or 6 grand gets raised and he gets some help getting back on his feet.

The idea behind this is 100-percent positive: Friends and supporters helping someone in need. Bizarre that people (not you) think there's something wrong with this but to each his own.

I would be embarrassed as hell if I lost my job and my buddies set up a GoFundMe. See, I've saved some money along the way for emergencies so I don't need anyone's charity. If he's real good he'll be on his feet before long.

Reactions: dpotter24
so it sounds like rather than seeking other opportunities where they provide the equipment, he is seeking to go it on his own. I agree with that decision in 2019, but if I were in that position, i would accept a low rate loan from friends and family that offered, but not charity..charity is for his light bill, not a 40k camera...i do wish him well though

so it sounds like rather than seeking other opportunities where they provide the equipment, he is seeking to go it on his own. I agree with that decision in 2019, but if I were in that position, i would accept a low rate loan from friends and family that offered, but not charity..charity is for his light bill, not a 40k camera...i do wish him well though

I'm pretty sure he's seeking whatever opportunities that will allow him to make a living.

Reactions: Howard's Jock
i would think so too, just giving my impression of the stated goal

Again, I don't think the presence of friends deciding to raise some money for him has anything to do with what he's planning on doing next.

He's not raising money. Other people are.

Charity is the act of giving. Period. He did not ask for this. He is getting a gift from people who want to help him. Period.

Charity is the act of giving. Period. He did not ask for this. He is getting a gift from people who want to help him. Period.
i never said he did...i was more saying i would not accept a gofundme for a 40k camera ...im not judging him..if im judging anyone, im judging the creators of the fund..at any rate, as i said, well wishes his way

im not judging anyone..im disagreeing with them...simple act of disagreement is not that big of a deal...i know you are closer to the situation than i am, but for those of us who arent close to the situation, a 40k money raise for a camera isn't going to move my sympathetic needle

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT