ADVERTISEMENT

BOA to offer black and Latino customers special mortgages

Short answer dyed and tinted hair along with French Pedicures and extravagent pedicures instead of putting money into a stock fund such as a Vanguard ETF

Frugality and hard work begets wealth

listen to successful people instead of whining about being a loser

If you don’t know it let me make you aware that there are a significant amount of well to do and very wealthy black people who were poor as children and now wealthy as adults

Think Dr Ben Carson to start

Read his biography and learn something

Are you saying that spending money poorly and “ whining about being a loser” are things you associate with black people?

No. I’m saying Nigerians who have the means/ambition to travel to the US for jobs, education, etc. are typically going to be wealthier/more ambitions than the overall population in Nigeria. You can’t compare a segment of one population to the entirety of another. It’s not that complicated, try to keep up.

No even remotely what I said/suggested. See my response to JoeBidenSniffsSwaztikas

Well it is. Right here you imply that it’s a lack of ambition that’s holding back the laggards among the full population in the US. Because you cite ambition as the reason black Nigerians are successful. It seems the primary variable isn’t skin color.

No. I’m saying Nigerians who have the means/ambition to travel to the US for jobs, education, etc. are typically going to be wealthier/more ambitions than the overall population in Nigeria. You can’t compare a segment of one population to the entirety of another. It’s not that complicated, try to keep up.
Ah ok, so having a lack of money and ambition means the US tax payer should come out of pocket for them. Got it.

• Haha
Reactions: DW4_2016
1. Yes

2. There are lots of reasons. What I just stated above is one, as well as a culture glorifying criminal and degenerative behavior, a general mentality that they can’t achieve goals because of a lack of socioeconomic mobility, and plenty of other reasons. And again, these same things can be applied to other ethnic groups as well, specifically scotch-Irish people of Appalachia and Native Americans

I’m just not going to entertain any idea that places the plight of black people in America solely on white people and systemic racism. Especially when personal responsibility is never brought up as a solution. Part of the issue? Sure, absolutely. You’re also not going to get me board with government being the solution to all ills. Just isn’t gonna happen
Are you saying that “ glorifying criminal and degenerative behavior” are things you associate with black people?

RE: your Appalachia, scotch Irish comment, those people are included in the statistics where white people are 8x wealthier than black people

Well it is. Right here you imply that it’s a lack of ambition that’s holding back the laggards among the full population in the US. Because you cite ambition as the reason black Nigerians are successful. It seems the primary variable isn’t skin color.

General populations are going to have more intelligent, more ambitious, and more successful members. They will also have less intelligent, less ambitious, and less successful people. I believe the people who have the means, ability, and ambition to immigrate to the other side of the world are going to be in the former category, and not going to be representative of an entire population. I think it’s a pretty simple case of selection bias. I don’t think it’s an accurate comparison to compare a segment of Nigeria’s population to the entirety of the US black population.

Are you saying that “ glorifying criminal and degenerative behavior” are things you associate with black people?

RE: your Appalachia, scotch Irish comment, those people are included in the statistics where white people are 8x wealthier than black people
Didn’t take long for that conversation to go to finger pointing and accusations of racism

Personal responsibility, honesty and introspection would go a long way in solving a lot of these issues. Maybe try it out sometime instead of trying to get one over on the white man

And yes, I’m saying hip hop culture is a huge detriment to the black community

• Sad
Reactions: dpic73
General populations are going to have more intelligent, more ambitious, and more successful members. They will also have less intelligent, less ambitious, and less successful people. I believe the people who have the means, ability, and ambition to immigrate to the other side of the world are going to be in the former category, and not going to be representative of an entire population. I think it’s a pretty simple case of selection bias. I don’t think it’s an accurate comparison to compare a segment of Nigeria’s population to the entirety of the US black population.

Right. But you are just reinforcing that it’s not skin color or racism that is holding them back. It’s the other factors you are listing. Ability, ambition. Your words not mine.

Right. But you are just reinforcing that it’s not skin color or racism that is holding them back. It’s the other factors you are listing. Ability, ambition. Your words not mine.

Ok, are you saying that black americans are less able and less ambitions than white americans? I don’t think that’s the case, personally

How do you explain the racial wealth gap?

Ok, are you saying that black americans are less able and less ambitions than white americans?

Of course not. You are saying they are less able and ambitious on average than Nigerian immigrants. Your posts have been quite clear and you seem to have identified those traits as the barometers of success rather than skin color.

You Still haven’t answered any of my questions.

1. I believe that a persons race has no bearing on their character or capabilities. Do you share that belief?

2. If there is no oppression of anyone in america, why does the median black family have 12¢ to every dollar of their white counterparts? What do you think is causing this?

Here are the answers to your questions in my opinion based on many facts.

First, we should examine the causes of wealth disparities. Black Americans are at a significant disadvantage relative to long term wealth which really impacts the statistic you are quoting. A large aspect of this stems from integration. Prior to integration, black business ownership was strong and substantial. There were massive issues with black access to housing however due to our nation being so racist. The challenge with integration is that it completely destroyed black wealth in America and our black population has never recovered. Instead of working to reinvigorate black ownership and wealth, we just said "Here, take this check from daddy government." The corrosive impact of this has been nothing short of devastating.

As a result, the gap between blacks and other demographic groups has been crazy. When we integrated, the country was still extremely racist. No whites were going to use black businesses but the reverse was not the case and as a result of lost business, black business ownership collapsed and billions in wealth was lost. It's never really recovered. This is a widely debated issue in the black community and a source of great resentment and I don't blame them one bit.

To avoid poverty, there are three critical factors. Graduate from high school, don't have a child out of wedlock and don't get married until after the age of 20. Only 8% of families that follow these three rules are poor. People to fail to do any one of these are part of a group of which 79% of its members are classified as poor. In the black community, 70% of children are born into single family households. That's a very hard obstacle to overcome. Likewise in the white, Asian and Hispanic communities, fatherlessness yields similar results.

Now we have seen a stable and good increase in the graduation rate in the black community. The younger population in the US have seen significant steps forward in terms of educational attainment.

black-high-school-attainment-nearly-on-par-with-national-average-figure-03.jpg

I would argue that Nigerian immigrants’ families haven’t been subjected to centuries of the USA’s systemic racism.

FWIW, the average salary in Nigeria is equivalent to $13,500 per year in the United States. The average salary for black Americans is over $80,000

So the systemic stuff you talk about really doesn't hold up. People come her and excel because of culture and ambition. Perhaps Nigerians do so well because they aren't told they are victims their entire lives and that no matter what they do, they won't be allowed to succeed? I suspect that helps a bit. Culture is everything.

Amazon product ASIN 0465067964
All this is to say that the answer to your questions are complex. Whites have been owning businesses, controlling government and amassing wealth for a long time. Anything that interrupts this can cause significant disparities. A non-racial example of this would be North v. South after the Civil War. Southerners lost tremendous wealth and access to opportunity after the Civil War. That disparity is still there today and southern states are generally the poorest in the United States. Ironically enough, the gains that have been made in the black community allot for a significant portion of the wealth increase in the South.

We can't recover the wealth that was lost because of slavery. We can't recover all the wealth lost due to integration. In my view, the progress being made is significant and noteworthy. We have done away with a lot of the problems of the past and we are making progress. However, we can never make up for what has been lost due to the past. We can only forge a better future. I would argue culture is a big part of this and it isn't as though Asians have come to the United States without experiencing discrimination. Remember, we did have internment camps for Japanese Americans and the stains from WWII lasted for decades with respect to the Asian community. Prejudice, discrimination and disparate treatment among racial groups have marked all of history. Unfortunately, it's part of our humanity. It's something we'll always have to work to overcome. Government involvement in trying to balance the scales often produces horrible results. It certainly has in this area.

Are you saying that spending money poorly and “ whining about being a loser” are things you associate with black people?

Now there you go playing the race card

Poor literacy and financial management and a few other items is what makes you poor

If you are black or any color or gender and practice poor frugality and financial practices you are going to be in poor

So think beyond wanting to use race as the joker in the deck

Go to school , get an education , work hard , have manners , practice saving and investing and good things will happen in the long run

So many people think entitlement comes to them for whatever fake reason they can concoct

I do want to make it clear that there are extenusting circumstances that can make it almost impossible to climb the economic ladder

The biggest is health

You have to be healthy to work so can be an economic death sentence

For that problem I am greatly sympathetic to a person dealing with that issue

Color of your skin is way down on the list

So many people use color or other excuses and give up instead of putting in the effort

So please give up on trying to head fake me with racism as I associate with too many now wealthy people who started out very poor

They are far better off than this white cracker and they have a much darker tan than me

And they don’t make excuses

They just work at winning

• Haha
Now there you go playing the race card

Poor literacy and financial management and a few other items is what makes you poor

If you are black or any color or gender and practice poor frugality and financial practices you are going to be in poor

So think beyond wanting to use race as the joker in the deck

Go to school , get an education , work hard , have manners , practice saving and investing and good things will happen in the long run

So many people think entitlement comes to them for whatever fake reason they can concoct

I do want to make it clear that there are extenusting circumstances that can make it almost impossible to climb the economic ladder

The biggest is health

You have to be healthy to work so can be an economic death sentence

For that problem I am greatly sympathetic to a person dealing with that issue

Color of your skin is way down on the list

So many people use color or other excuses and give up instead of putting in the effort

So please give up on trying to head fake me with racism as I associate with too many now wealthy people who started out very poor

They are far better off than this white cracker and they have a much darker tan than me

And they don’t make excuses

They just work at winning

I asked why black families have 1/8 the wealth of white families

You responded by claiming it was because of bad spending habits. I’m not “playing the race card”, I’m just trying to understand your response.

I don’t think that trait is unique to any particular race, so I don’t see how it can affect one race so disproportionately. If it’s not unique to black people, how is it the cause of the racial wealth disparity?

Bets on when BOA will be requesting a tax payer funded bailout?

I’ll say … March of 2028
theyll prob just sell tht sht to fnma...gonna blow out the risk budget holding those with the credit quality no matter how you tranch them. and good luck foreclosing on homes when race exclusively was the reason the mortgage was gifted in the first place. that should go swimmingly for a bank now matter how conciliatory they are to that point. just a bit of embedded headline risk there. dump em on the agencies

I think ability and ambition SHOULD BE the two barometers of success. I’ll say “character” is a third indicator in that category.

If the playing field were level, they WOULD BE the things that lead to success. Unfortunately, the playing field is far from level due to centuries of systemic racism. To me, that qualifies as oppression.

Black families are far less successful in this country than white. That is a fact.

I don’t think there is a difference in ability, ambition, or character between white and black people. I don’t think many people will disagree with this statement

Therefore, ability, ambition, or character don’t hold water as the reason for the disparity in family wealth. There are other societal factors at play.

Here are the answers to your questions in my opinion based on many facts.

First, we should examine the causes of wealth disparities. Black Americans are at a significant disadvantage relative to long term wealth which really impacts the statistic you are quoting. A large aspect of this stems from integration. Prior to integration, black business ownership was strong and substantial. There were massive issues with black access to housing however due to our nation being so racist. The challenge with integration is that it completely destroyed black wealth in America and our black population has never recovered. Instead of working to reinvigorate black ownership and wealth, we just said "Here, take this check from daddy government." The corrosive impact of this has been nothing short of devastating.

As a result, the gap between blacks and other demographic groups has been crazy. When we integrated, the country was still extremely racist. No whites were going to use black businesses but the reverse was not the case and as a result of lost business, black business ownership collapsed and billions in wealth was lost. It's never really recovered. This is a widely debated issue in the black community and a source of great resentment and I don't blame them one bit.

To avoid poverty, there are three critical factors. Graduate from high school, don't have a child out of wedlock and don't get married until after the age of 20. Only 8% of families that follow these three rules are poor. People to fail to do any one of these are part of a group of which 79% of its members are classified as poor. In the black community, 70% of children are born into single family households. That's a very hard obstacle to overcome. Likewise in the white, Asian and Hispanic communities, fatherlessness yields similar results.

Now we have seen a stable and good increase in the graduation rate in the black community. The younger population in the US have seen significant steps forward in terms of educational attainment.

black-high-school-attainment-nearly-on-par-with-national-average-figure-03.jpg

FWIW, the average salary in Nigeria is equivalent to $13,500 per year in the United States. The average salary for black Americans is over $80,000

So the systemic stuff you talk about really doesn't hold up. People come her and excel because of culture and ambition. Perhaps Nigerians do so well because they aren't told they are victims their entire lives and that no matter what they do, they won't be allowed to succeed? I suspect that helps a bit. Culture is everything.

All this is to say that the answer to your questions are complex. Whites have been owning businesses, controlling government and amassing wealth for a long time. Anything that interrupts this can cause significant disparities. A non-racial example of this would be North v. South after the Civil War. Southerners lost tremendous wealth and access to opportunity after the Civil War. That disparity is still there today and southern states are generally the poorest in the United States. Ironically enough, the gains that have been made in the black community allot for a significant portion of the wealth increase in the South.

We can't recover the wealth that was lost because of slavery. We can't recover all the wealth lost due to integration. In my view, the progress being made is significant and noteworthy. We have done away with a lot of the problems of the past and we are making progress. However, we can never make up for what has been lost due to the past. We can only forge a better future. I would argue culture is a big part of this and it isn't as though Asians have come to the United States without experiencing discrimination. Remember, we did have internment camps for Japanese Americans and the stains from WWII lasted for decades with respect to the Asian community. Prejudice, discrimination and disparate treatment among racial groups have marked all of history. Unfortunately, it's part of our humanity. It's something we'll always have to work to overcome. Government involvement in trying to balance the scales often produces horrible results. It certainly has in this area.

Thank you for a well thought out response. I agree with much of what you said, especially that the answer is complicated.

What it boils down to, in my view, is that if two groups of people are of equal ability, ambition and character, then they would have similar outcomes on a level playing field.

The playing field in our country is FAR from level based on the socioeconomic outcomes of people of different races.

Should we level the playing field? I say we have an obligation to at least try.

Thank you for a well thought out response. I agree with much of what you said, especially that the answer is complicated.

What it boils down to, in my view, is that if two groups of people are of equal ability, ambition and character, then they would have similar outcomes on a level playing field.

The playing field in our country is FAR from level based on the socioeconomic outcomes of people of different races.

the thing about it is 1 you cant rob peter to pay paul. ie taking away from one to give to the other. it creates entitlement, it will inevitable generate animosity, and ultimately taking direct action is telling the person youre operating in the interest of that theyre beneath you. as if to say youre so far above them youre gonna pat them on the head and make things even with the other kids. there is no financial or economic fix.

the fix is structural. the biggest issue many black kids face is single parent homes. they often grow up without role models and discipline whether its parents working multiple jobs who dont have enough time or ones who just dont care. these kids get told the world doesnt want them and is stacked against them in the media and probably schools. taking money from one person to give to others is not far, who is anyone to say im gonna even this playing field but to do so i need $ from you and your son just lost his spot in his school through no fault of his own. the entire message needs to change to really create progress. time is the currency not money. people need to get to todays kids and get to the ones who dont have any guidance. people have to care, set expectations for them, give them role models, give them a message they can create a real future etc. the only actual answer is finding a way to jumpstart successful qualities broadly in urban communities. you have to teach people to fish. redistributing money is just playing god to make ourselves feel like were doing something.

You Still haven’t answered any of my questions.

1. I believe that a persons race has no bearing on their character or capabilities. Do you share that belief?

2. If there is no oppression of anyone in america, why does the median black family have 12¢ to every dollar of their white counterparts? What do you think is causing this?
1) yes, I share that belief with you
2) culture. Specifically the family unit.

nobody can force a group to follow a path that has proven successful for much of the world. But if you don’t, then you don’t get to blame them for your own problems. Deal with the consequences or change paths.

Its not always whiteys fault. It’s time to move on. Two wrongs will never make a right and discrimination on any level is wrong.

shame on Bank of America !

Since the black slave trade was actually a function of one African tribe conquering another black tribe then enslaving those they didn’t kill or eat

After which they then sold the excess to white slave traders who then sold them as merchandise to various people around the globe

So since this sordid part of history originated with black tribes in Africa I am all in on punishing and beating the hell out of those race mongering black tribes who overpowered and discriminated against blacks of different skin tones back in the day like centuries ago to even present day Africa

So heck yes I say make those Nigerian oil barons pay restitution for the abuses they heaped on their black brothers

So us dumb poor Southerners most of us who never had a slave are supposed to feel sorry for people who we as a group had nothing to do with slavery

So as to the hundreds of years reference you are correct that the tribes of Africa conducted this savage slavery practice for thousands of years if not tens of thousands of years black on black before the first white face showed up on that continent

So feel anything today about what happened 150 years ago for about 100 years

Nah cause today opportunity exists and if you are around me you don’t get to play victim

You are a warrior and stop using the chickenshit racism excuse because you are pathetically lazy and will not have motivation ambition and get off your ass and make something of yourself

Racism is a losers excuse

Learn how to be a champion and you will then understand

You don’t know till you do
I appreciate the guilt you apparently feel based on this diatribe. Nowhere did I say you personally did the oppressing. You’re assuming guilt for some reason. Odd.

I asked why black families have 1/8 the wealth of white families

You responded by claiming it was because of bad spending habits. I’m not “playing the race card”, I’m just trying to understand your response.

I don’t think that trait is unique to any particular race, so I don’t see how it can affect one race so disproportionately. If it’s not unique to black people, how is it the cause of the racial wealth disparity?

So you want me to give an answer to something i have never taken the time to do a scientific study and anaysis.

I cannot answer that without research and proper project controls put into place..

You on the other hand are jumping to a conclusion based on the end data.

At this moment I have no idea however I am willing for you to share all of the scientific data you have so I may learn some of the reasons WHY

Just because that group is per your claim less wealthy does it mean it is true.

Anyone can skew or outright lie regarding data or statistics.

Before I can respond to your dog barking question I will need the source and contact of the information you are advocating as absolute truthj
then I have a starting point

so who and where did your data come from

I appreciate the guilt you apparently feel based on this diatribe. Nowhere did I say you personally did the oppressing. You’re assuming guilt for some reason. Odd.
No guilt at all

I hope that you now know history has a lot of hidden facts that people find inconvenient to rehash

Live forward not backwards

Last edited:
  • Haha

I am very much in agreement to create a society in which opportunity is available to all

Opportunity only

We should not punish the successful when a person choses the path less successful

When you are failing at something most people will change course

My feeling on your take is that if one fails and they are black change the rules of the world to fix failures and not hold people responsible for their decisions

Regardless of skin color every person needs to be responsible and accountable for their actions

Reactions: TigerGrowls
So you want me to give an answer to something i have never taken the time to do a scientific study and anaysis.

I cannot answer that without research and proper project controls put into place..

You on the other hand are jumping to a conclusion based on the end data.

At this moment I have no idea however I am willing for you to share all of the scientific data you have so I may learn some of the reasons WHY

Just because that group is per your claim less wealthy does it mean it is true.

Anyone can skew or outright lie regarding data or statistics.

Before I can respond to your dog barking question I will need the source and contact of the information you are advocating as absolute truthj
then I have a starting point

so who and where did your data come from

Source: The Federal Reserve, I posted this earlier in the thread

Thanks for sharing that study

I want to take some time and read it as educating myself on this report will help me in our discussion

So patience is my request before I respond

Bets on when BOA will be requesting a tax payer funded bailout?

I’ll say … March of 2028
This ^^^^

It's almost like memories don't go back to 2007 or something.

Poverty isn't racist and I'm sure there are plenty of whites or asians that would love to own a house but can't get through the 20% down and PMI hurdle. The reality is if you can't afford a mortgage payment, perhaps the better focus should be on skilled labor first, home ownership second.

This is nothing more than Bank of America's Mortgage Backed Securities Desk having huge demand from their buy-side clients and are trying to print/encourage loans to fill the void. Hiding a bad idea behind social justice doesn't mitigate the risk.

Reactions: 97ClemsonMac
Did you even read the article?
"Applicants do not have to be Black or Hispanic to qualify for the product, a bank representative said."
So it DOES say this, I’m very very confused now. Is this like an “I identify as Latino” therefore I should be eligible or are they meaning other minorities are included? I would think the latter

I’ve taken DNA tests and I have some African and Iberian. Not sure if Iberian would move the needle, but I wonder how far I could push the African American angle. I seriously wonder what their criteria is and how you would go about proving what you are, especially in todays climate of identifying as whatever you want. I seriously doubt BOA would want to have to deal with that issue and would cave to just about anything

At this point I’m all for making a mockery of shit like this
You should really contact Elizabeth Warren. She should be able to give you a great blueprint, or at the very least, point you in the right direction for a DNA test.

I wonder what special programs they’ll offer for white and Asian people? Native Americans? Also, I wonder what qualifies as black and Latino?

And I feel like I’ve seen this movie before, maybe say pre 2008ish? Idk

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/co...-mortgage-first-time-buyers-details-rcna45662
It's a violation of law. The Fair Housing Act makes it unlawful to impose different terms or conditions on a loan, such as different interest rates, points, or fees based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap (disability).

It's a violation of law. The Fair Housing Act makes it unlawful to impose different terms or conditions on a loan, such as different interest rates, points, or fees based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap (disability).

Do these laws apply if they only adversely affect white people?

So no part of you is happy that this will enable some people to own a home, that otherwise wouldn't have that opportunity? I understand the "potential" downsides but can't you be a little bit happy for them?

What if the story was about angry white welders in SC? Would that make it better?
Welders make a darn good living.

I enjoy a thread where @scotchtiger is just waiting to complain about how he isn't getting some kind of break and how society has made it so unfair for upper class white people.

The program might not work but I appreciate the sentiment to it.

I enjoy a thread where @scotchtiger is just waiting to complain about how he isn't getting some kind of break and how society has made it so unfair for upper class white people.

The program might not work but I appreciate the sentiment to it.

I’m not saying society has made it unfair for upper class white people. There is just irony when there are laws preventing discrimination based on race and then supporters of those laws (which we should all be) applaud policies or initiatives that discriminate based on race.

If “nobody is oppressed today in America”, why is it that the median black family has about 1/8th the wealth of the median white family?

Not going to get into the root causes of why the median white family has more money than the median black family but I would like to point out 2 things:
1. Not every culture values financial success the same
2. Money isn’t everything and it’s a bad practice to compare finances. We should be placing more of an emphasis on all of our citizens achieving good health and happiness, not sizing up everybody’s bank account

Reactions: scotchtiger
Do these laws apply if they only adversely affect white people?
The Fair Housing Act makes it unlawful to impose different terms or conditions on a loan, such as different interest rates, points, or fees based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap (disability)

Can you not see this issue from any other angle outside of your insecure white male, err, Iberian vantage point? I believe in responsibility so though this program goes further than I'm comfortable with, there is a case to be made for why this is needed.

A bunch of Clinton guys felt the same way in the 90's. That's why the housing market crashed in 2008.

If you can't put money down, you can't afford a house.

If the bank charges someone 0% interest, they are going to charge more to someone else to make their revenue target.

Not going to get into the root causes of why the median white family has more money than the median black family but I would like to point out 2 things:
1. Not every culture values financial success the same
2. Money isn’t everything and it’s a bad practice to compare finances. We should be placing more of an emphasis on all of our citizens achieving good health and happiness, not sizing up everybody’s bank account
Money isn't everything in life but I'd argue it is for economics.
Why shouldn't we compare finances along with any other data about happiness, health, race. sex, religion, birth rates, etc?
Capitalism is an economic system based on the private ownership of the means of production and their operation for profit. Seems like money is important in a capitalist society.

For one, this seems like it is grossly discriminant but even more than that it seems like an absolutely terrible idea. Zero down payment, any credit score, no PMSI?!! Holy **** that is some wacky business strategy there
I remember hearing about mortgages in the mid 90s, when new anti-discrimination laws went into effect. Basically, if you rejected someone for a mortgage you had to list a specific reason that was subject to scrutiny and possibly legal action against the lender I think.

In theory, I suppose it was a decent idea. But the result was that banks and mortgage companies were scared to reject just about anyone - even for good cause. Obviously a credit score of 10 for a part-time worm farmer wanting a $1.5MM mortgage was going to be rejected. But there were cases that were accepted that probably should not have been.

Reactions: 97ClemsonMac
ADVERTISEMENT