ADVERTISEMENT

BOA to offer black and Latino customers special mortgages

Money isn't everything in life but I'd argue it is for economics.
Why shouldn't we compare finances along with any other data about happiness, health, race. sex, religion, birth rates, etc?
Capitalism is an economic system based on the private ownership of the means of production and their operation for profit. Seems like money is important in a capitalist society.
What’s the point in comparing finances? It’s a no win game

So you see no value in comparing finances at all? Please explain how to conduct a government without any analysis of finances between groups, generations or any other point of interest.
What’s the government supposed to do? Rob from the rich and give to the poor?

What is the government supposed to do in your mind? Taxing and spending on military, research, social safety net programs, education, etc seem like some of the basics to me.
Why are you answering my question with a question?

Why are you answering my question with a question?
I answered your question:
Taxing and spending on military, research, social safety net programs, education, etc seem like some of the basics to me.

Care to answer my question that you answered with a question? I've got a couple for you:
So you see no value in comparing finances at all? Please explain how to conduct a government without any analysis of finances between groups, generations or any other point of interest.
What is the government supposed to do in your mind?

I answered your question:

Care to answer my question that you answered with a question? I've got a couple for you:
I don’t see any real value in comparing finances. I’m my mind the government is supposed to maintain and enforce laws, infrastructure, and keep us safe from enemies.

Curious to hear why you think we as people or the government should be comparing finances

Curious to hear why you think we as people or the government should be comparing finances
So you don't compare your salary to others in the field to see if you are being fairly compensated? Should the government compare the finances of soldiers to other professionals to ensure that soldiers are receiving fair compensation for the sacrifice? Should state and local governments not do the same with teachers, police officers, firemen, etc?
You don't see a need for the government to understand which children need to be eligible for Medicaid because they are born into a family without the means to pay for healthcare (through no fault of the child)? What about free and reduced lunches?
You don't believe in studying the effects of financial standing on any other aspect of society?
Is it not worth looking at comparing the finances of cancer patients to the rest of the population to see if insurance companies are doing a good enough job of distributing the risk across a population?

To be clear, I believe all these things to be valid, valuable reasons for 'comparing finances.' Do you see value in any of these areas?
There is a big difference between large scale population studies and 'thou shall not covet'

So you don't compare your salary to others in the field to see if you are being fairly compensated? Should the government compare the finances of soldiers to other professionals to ensure that soldiers are receiving fair compensation for the sacrifice? Should state and local governments not do the same with teachers, police officers, firemen, etc?
You don't see a need for the government to understand which children need to be eligible for Medicaid because they are born into a family without the means to pay for healthcare (through no fault of the child)? What about free and reduced lunches?
You don't believe in studying the effects of financial standing on any other aspect of society?
Is it not worth looking at comparing the finances of cancer patients to the rest of the population to see if insurance companies are doing a good enough job of distributing the risk across a population?

To be clear, I believe all these things to be valid, valuable reasons for 'comparing finances.' Do you see value in any of these areas?
There is a big difference between large scale population studies and 'thou shall not covet'
This is getting sidetracked. Im against unfair lending practices and attempts at government intervention to redistribute wealth. Let’s just leave it at that

This is getting sidetracked. Im against unfair lending practices and attempts at government intervention to redistribute wealth. Let’s just leave it at that
That's a bit different than your previous claim. I wasn't arguing for/against these things, just was calling out your previous bullshit that no one should ever compare finances.

Ohhhhh So what's the basis for choosing the neighborhoods they offer the rates in?

That's a bit different than your previous claim. I wasn't arguing for/against these things, just was calling out your previous bullshit that no one should ever compare finances.
You go compare all you want until your little hearts content

Thank you for a well thought out response. I agree with much of what you said, especially that the answer is complicated.

What it boils down to, in my view, is that if two groups of people are of equal ability, ambition and character, then they would have similar outcomes on a level playing field.

The playing field in our country is FAR from level based on the socioeconomic outcomes of people of different races.

Should we level the playing field? I say we have an obligation to at least try.

@TinyDan - Saw an interesting chart today (see below). It appears the socioeconomic outcomes you reference are actually more varied than many of us realized. Thoughts here? Is the playing field leveled in favor of Indian-Americans, Filipino-Americans, Taiwanese-Americans, etc?

@TinyDan - Saw an interesting chart today (see below). It appears the socioeconomic outcomes you reference are actually more varied than many of us realized. Thoughts here? Is the playing field leveled in favor of Indian-Americans, Filipino-Americans, Taiwanese-Americans, etc?

I’ve never said that anything favored white people. I’ve stated that black people in this country face deeply ingrained, systemic disadvantages.

Regarding your chart, it completely ignores population differences. White, black, and Latino Americans make up <90% of the population, but are represented as 3 out of 16 categories. They found and magnified 13 small population demographics that are doing well to paint a deceiving picture. immigrants who haven’t been subjected to centuries of systemic racism in the US, I might add. I guess I shouldn’t expect @EndWokeness to have any understanding of nuance, statistics, or data analysis in general.

Who has all the wealth in the UNITED STATES? Who the hell cares what income is? No one rich has a ****ing w2 lol

Who has all the wealth in the UNITED STATES? Who the hell cares what income is? No one rich has a ****ing w2 lol

I believe the wealthiest Americans are mostly first generation self-starters. Musk, Bezos, Buffet, Gates, Zuck, etc.

So I guess the answer to your question is - innovators who built world-changing businesses.

I believe the wealthiest Americans are mostly first generation self-starters. Musk, Bezos, Buffet, Gates, Zuck, etc.

So I guess the answer to your question is - innovators who built world-changing businesses.
The response was to that kkk bs chart. None of those people you mention have their income attached to a w2. Acting like Asians have the most wealth in this country is some kkk stuff.

The response was to that kkk bs chart. None of those people you mention have their income attached to a w2. Acting like Asians have the most wealth in this country is some kkk stuff.

Nice escalation there pal. Income is a pretty good measure of success and upward mobility in our economy. I never argued that they had more wealth, but this is a pretty good indication that plenty of racial minorities are finding broad success in the US economy.

Nice escalation there pal. Income is a pretty good measure of success and upward mobility in our economy. I never argued that they had more wealth, but this is a pretty good indication that plenty of racial minorities are finding broad success in the US economy.
Facts and truth upset some people

If “nobody is oppressed today in America”, why is it that the median black family has about 1/8th the wealth of the median white family?

Ok now do what proportion of white families grow up in single parent homes compared to black families and you will start to get your answer.

Its a ridiculous thing to talk about w2 earners when talking about the wealth distribution in the US. Do you think that statement is untrue?
I also think white supremacists use the graph you have to circle jerk about the poor whites getting replaced in this country and drumming up support. Do you reject that statement?

The wealthiest in this country have gotten wealthier since Ronald Regan, and the poor have gotten poorer, the middle class has gotten smaller. Those are pretty well stated facts yes?

Do they break down whether these are first generation immigrants vs people who’ve been here for generations? Are the AA listed African immigrants or black people who have been here for generations? Are the Indian immigrants first generation or multi generational citizens? There’s a lot unknown about the data set they’re using that doesn’t paint a full picture.

your ancestors have been enslaved for hundreds of years in this country 'sorry about the bad luck'.

awesome.

no chance you're racist.
No one was ensalved for hundreds of yeas in this country. 1776 to 1865 = 89 years. Evidently a little known fact. Also, it has been 157 since slavery was abolished. This information is readily available for those who are literate and have remediate math skills.

No one was ensalved for hundreds of yeas in this country. 1776 to 1865 = 89 years. Evidently a little known fact. Also, it has been 157 since slavery was abolished. This information is readily available for those who are literate and have remediate math skills.
Right. The civil rights movement in the 1960s was just about water fountains.

Oh we're playing fun with words? The three centuries before we declared our independence don't count as "in this country" amirite?

Oh we're playing fun with words? The three centuries before we declared our independence don't count as "in this country" amirite?
The short answer is no.
However, I am going to assume by "our" you mean the colonies, which at earliest started in James town. The first record of slaves was recorded in Jamestown in 1619. So no matter when you want to say "this country" started, it was not three centuries before we declared our independence. Can you please show me any reference to colonies being here with slaves in 1476 or earlier? You continually just say things that have absolutely no basis in fact.

Reactions: dual_tiger
Right. I guess 1492 means nothing to you. Fvck that Columbus guy and those stupid ships. Maybe 1865 - 1492 was too much math for you.

The short answer is no.
However, I am going to assume by "our" you mean the colonies, which at earliest started in James town. The first record of slaves was recorded in Jamestown in 1619. So no matter when you want to say "this country" started, it was not three centuries before we declared our independence. Can you please show me any reference to colonies being here with slaves in 1476 or earlier? You continually just say things that have absolutely no basis in fact.
Do you think black people would agree with that statement?

And you should know better than to challenge me. Will you ever learn? Screwball logic incoming!

"The arrival of these “20 and odd” Africans to England’s mainland American colonies in 1619 is now a focal point in history curricula. The date and their story have become symbolic of slavery’s roots, despite captive Africans likely being present in the Americas in the 1400s and as early as 1526 in the region that would become the United States.

Some experts, including Michael Guasco, a professor at Davidson College and author of Slaves and Englishmen: Human Bondage in the Early Modern Atlantic World, caution about placing too much emphasis on the year 1619.

“To ignore what had been happening with relative frequency in the broader Atlantic world over the preceding 100 years or so understates the real brutality of the ongoing slave trade, of which the 1619 group were undoubtedly a part, and minimizes the significant African presence in the Atlantic world to that point,” Guasco explains. “People of African descent have been ‘here’ longer than the English colonies.”

Africans had a notable presence in the Americas before colonization

Prior to 1619, hundreds of thousands of Africans, both free and enslaved, aided the establishment and survival of colonies in the Americas and the New World. They also fought against European oppression, and, in some instances, hindered the systematic spread of colonization.

Christopher Columbus likely transported the first Africans to the Americas in the late 1490s on his expeditions to the island of Hispaniola, now Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Their exact status, whether free or enslaved, remains disputed. But the timeline fits with what we know of the origins of the slave trade."

Do you think black people would agree with that statement?

And you should know better than to challenge me. Will you ever learn? Screwball logic incoming!

"The arrival of these “20 and odd” Africans to England’s mainland American colonies in 1619 is now a focal point in history curricula. The date and their story have become symbolic of slavery’s roots, despite captive Africans likely being present in the Americas in the 1400s and as early as 1526 in the region that would become the United States.

Some experts, including Michael Guasco, a professor at Davidson College and author of Slaves and Englishmen: Human Bondage in the Early Modern Atlantic World, caution about placing too much emphasis on the year 1619.

“To ignore what had been happening with relative frequency in the broader Atlantic world over the preceding 100 years or so understates the real brutality of the ongoing slave trade, of which the 1619 group were undoubtedly a part, and minimizes the significant African presence in the Atlantic world to that point,” Guasco explains. “People of African descent have been ‘here’ longer than the English colonies.”

Africans had a notable presence in the Americas before colonization

Prior to 1619, hundreds of thousands of Africans, both free and enslaved, aided the establishment and survival of colonies in the Americas and the New World. They also fought against European oppression, and, in some instances, hindered the systematic spread of colonization.

Christopher Columbus likely transported the first Africans to the Americas in the late 1490s on his expeditions to the island of Hispaniola, now Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Their exact status, whether free or enslaved, remains disputed. But the timeline fits with what we know of the origins of the slave trade."

Whether black people(or white people, or purple people) agree with something has no bearing on if it is true or not.
Secondly, the earliest slave that set foot on this continent were certainly not part of this country. They were part of English or European exploration groups.

Third, as I stated, so does this article sate that it is historically agreed upon that the first slaves in the colonies that would later become the United States appeared in 1619.

Finally-
"despite captive Africans likely being present in the Americas in the 1400s and as early as 1526 in the region that would become the United States." This is a quote from your supposed evidence. First it tells you that (by the use of the word likely) there is no evidence there were salves in north america even in 1526, but that that is the earliest it was even "likely". Even if you go back to 1526, that would still not be three centuries before we declared our independence. So even with the most generous and liberal interpretation you can make in your favor, you are still wrong.

Whether black people(or white people, or purple people) agree with something has no bearing on if it is true or not.
Secondly, the earliest slave that set foot on this continent were certainly not part of this country. They were part of English or European exploration groups.

Third, as I stated, so does this article sate that it is historically agreed upon that the first slaves in the colonies that would later become the United States appeared in 1619.

Finally-
"despite captive Africans likely being present in the Americas in the 1400s and as early as 1526 in the region that would become the United States." This is a quote from your supposed evidence. First it tells you that (by the use of the word likely) there is no evidence there were salves in north america even in 1526, but that that is the earliest it was even "likely". Even if you go back to 1526, that would still not be three centuries before we declared our independence. So even with the most generous and liberal interpretation you can make in your favor, you are still wrong.
Would it change anything if I said 259 years? Your original post claimed that slavery only existed here since 1776. By "here" you're using our date of independence as a way to say it didn't happen until "after" we called ourselves the United States. I'm sure "here" means the United States before 1776 to the slaves. To disregard what happened to them based on a name change is pretty disrespectful to their experience, regardless if it was two or three centuries, you're still wrong.

"We include the Atlantic slave trade here since its beginnings in the 1400s were as much part of the European breakout into the Atlantic Ocean as were the first voyages to North America. And, of course, the result of the west African explorations was the transport of hundreds of thousands of Africans to North America over four centuries. In addition, the accounts of African exploration and slave captures reflect the same encounter with the new and strange. A Portuguese seaman describes the "marvellous sight" of captives gathered on the African shore and recounts how other Africans "marvelled at the sight" of their ship. A English sailor is awed by the Africans' skill in capturing the "sea-horses" (hippos) that surround their ships. But the marvels give way to matter-of-fact accounts of slave trafficking (Hortop) and tracts on the immorality of slavery (Mercado).

The date we recognize for the arrival of the first enslaved Africans in Virginia is 1619, but the first recorded arrival in North America occurred 117 years earlier in 1502 when Juan de Córdoba sent several of his black slaves from Spain to Hispaniola. In 1517 the first slaves sent directly from Africa arrived to do forced labor on the Spanish plantations and mines in the Caribbean islands. As the Native Americans enslaved by the Spanish died by the thousands from overwork and disease, more Africans were captured and shipped to replace them. The Atlantic slave trade was on. It remained a critical and brutal element of the Spanish and English economies in North America for over four centuries. (The last nation in the western hemisphere to abolish slavery was Brazil in 1888). Here we read three documents of the early slave trade that you will find reminiscent of the exploration narratives in this section."

Would it change anything if I said 259 years? Your original post claimed that slavery only existed here since 1776. By "here" you're using our date of independence as a way to say it didn't happen until "after" we called ourselves the United States. I'm sure "here" means the United States before 1776 to the slaves. To disregard what happened to them based on a name change is pretty disrespectful to their experience, regardless if it was two or three centuries, you're still wrong.

"We include the Atlantic slave trade here since its beginnings in the 1400s were as much part of the European breakout into the Atlantic Ocean as were the first voyages to North America. And, of course, the result of the west African explorations was the transport of hundreds of thousands of Africans to North America over four centuries. In addition, the accounts of African exploration and slave captures reflect the same encounter with the new and strange. A Portuguese seaman describes the "marvellous sight" of captives gathered on the African shore and recounts how other Africans "marvelled at the sight" of their ship. A English sailor is awed by the Africans' skill in capturing the "sea-horses" (hippos) that surround their ships. But the marvels give way to matter-of-fact accounts of slave trafficking (Hortop) and tracts on the immorality of slavery (Mercado).

The date we recognize for the arrival of the first enslaved Africans in Virginia is 1619, but the first recorded arrival in North America occurred 117 years earlier in 1502 when Juan de Córdoba sent several of his black slaves from Spain to Hispaniola. In 1517 the first slaves sent directly from Africa arrived to do forced labor on the Spanish plantations and mines in the Caribbean islands. As the Native Americans enslaved by the Spanish died by the thousands from overwork and disease, more Africans were captured and shipped to replace them. The Atlantic slave trade was on. It remained a critical and brutal element of the Spanish and English economies in North America for over four centuries. (The last nation in the western hemisphere to abolish slavery was Brazil in 1888). Here we read three documents of the early slave trade that you will find reminiscent of the exploration narratives in this section."

Would it change anything if I said 259 years? Since that is less than three centuries it would change that part of your post, yes.

By "here" you're using our date of independence as a way to say it didn't happen until "after" we called ourselves the United States.

Just to clarify, I said it did not happen in this country- which I think is an important aspect. Saying it happened in this country is like saying that most of europe, parts of africa, etc. is responsible for anything that happened during the roman empire.
Did they both exist on the same piece of land? Yes. Are they the same? No.

Its a ridiculous thing to talk about w2 earners when talking about the wealth distribution in the US. Do you think that statement is untrue?
I also think white supremacists use the graph you have to circle jerk about the poor whites getting replaced in this country and drumming up support. Do you reject that statement?

The wealthiest in this country have gotten wealthier since Ronald Regan, and the poor have gotten poorer, the middle class has gotten smaller. Those are pretty well stated facts yes?
Definitely agree that its not as easy to be middle class today as it was during Ronald Regan. When you said the poor have gotten poorer, what does that mean exactly? Like their living conditions and lifestyle is more poor or the number of people who make up the poor class has increased?

Would it change anything if I said 259 years? Since that is less than three centuries it would change that part of your post, yes.

By "here" you're using our date of independence as a way to say it didn't happen until "after" we called ourselves the United States.

Just to clarify, I said it did not happen in this country- which I think is an important aspect. Saying it happened in this country is like saying that most of europe, parts of africa, etc. is responsible for anything that happened during the roman empire.
Did they both exist on the same piece of land? Yes. Are they the same? No.
this is remarkable pedantry btw

Reactions: dpic73

I don't think it's ridiculous to talk about income (whether it be W2, 1099, self-employment, etc) when talking about wealth. Income is how most people build wealth. Even building a business and profiting from that is a form of income. The vast majority of millionaires are first generation, and they built that wealth with income. So the two are inherently linked.

I don't know what white supremacists do. I don't know any. I think that graph does the opposite - it highlights how racial minorities have been able to thrive in the US economy - something we should celebrate.

Yes, the wealthy get wealthier. What do you mean by the poor getting poorer? Even our poor receive welfare, nutrition assistance, housing assistance and a variety of benefits. And now with rising minimum wages, it shouldn't be difficult to earn a decent living in the US. Maybe you mean they feel poorer due to the rapid inflation under president Biden?

And yes the middle class has shrunk, yet the upper class has grown, and grown at a faster rate than the lower class. So more people than ever have reached beyond the middle class. Upward mobility ftw!

ft_2022.04.20_middleclass_01.png

All of those guys had advantages that most people don't have (and they are pretty open about it). Bezos parents loaned him $250K to start Amazon. Gates attended an elite private school that was one of the first to have a computer, where he learned to code. Musk was born to a wealthy family. Zuck also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT